Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
it was a big deal awhile back, with reports of some bars putting up signs saying "no google glass".

i know they released a revised version, but they aren't hyping it like they used to

wth google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

snapchat makes them now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they put tony fadell, aka "the guy who yells at people until they make broken smoke detectors" in charge of it but he resigned in june so I'm sure the project is in excellent shape

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

That Robot posted:

it was a big deal awhile back, with reports of some bars putting up signs saying "no google glass".

i know they released a revised version, but they aren't hyping it like they used to

wth google

social media/collective internet made fun of it how douchey it looks, and all the glassholes were getting made fun of so they canned it

e: lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO_ryvymcw

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2016

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i heard the dev team got tired of being called "glassholes"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Xaris posted:

social media/collective internet made fun of it how douchey it looks, and all the glassholes were getting made fun of so they canned it

e: lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO_ryvymcw

of course the violence happens when a woman's wearing them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that woman is legit crazy and one of her old neighbors got a restraining order against her bc she was videotaping her without permission

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

That Robot posted:

wth google

sergey got to gently caress the (former) head of anroid's girlfriend so mission accomplished

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

graph posted:

sergey got to gently caress the (former) head of anroid's girlfriend so mission accomplished

was he (or she) wearing the glass at that time

ok google, where is the clitoris

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

That Robot posted:

this is not the democracy i was promised

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i have one

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

google happened to google glass.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it was dumb, op, and nobody wanted it except super-nerds with zero self awareness. google silently killed it like they do with most of their failed hardware projects.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
google roll out the fiber i need it to keep my posting regular

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

are you running the secret Santa this year?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

are you running the secret Santa this year?

no I am not nearly organized or patient enough and I def. do not have the necessary attention span to do something like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

that woman is legit crazy and one of her old neighbors got a restraining order against her bc she was videotaping her without permission

also she was wearing the glass to loving Molotov's, which is not exactly the friendliest place to obviously be a rich white techlord gentrifier

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

how is it? can you browse the forums in augmented reality or is there no browser?

The Management posted:

it was dumb, op, and nobody wanted it except super-nerds with zero self awareness. google silently killed it like they do with most of their failed hardware projects.

dang it

a well-designed augmented reality headset would be cool and good

Sagebrush posted:

also she was wearing the glass to loving Molotov's, which is not exactly the friendliest place to obviously be a rich white techlord gentrifier

wait what?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
couldn't resolve the internal strife about whether it's pronounced glass or jlass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That Robot posted:

wait what?

it's a bar that caters to the counterculture punk crowd, at least as much as such a thing can exist in sf any more. google glass is an obvious symbol that you're one of the wealthy yuppie billionaire crowd, historically the punk's greatest enemy

i would compare it to having gauged ears and a faux-hawk and riding your hoverboard into a run-down boston sports bar

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

That Robot posted:

how is it? can you browse the forums in augmented reality or is there no browser?

it's really bad. I don't think there is a browser. I'll check tho.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I thought it ended up getting no functionality development so it was basically a face mounted camera with an hour of battery life that was heavy and looked dumb and cost as much as two new phones.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ok there is a browser sort of. but it's bad and useless because u can just google a thing and view it, scrolling is done by sliding along the touchpad, and you can't click links or anything.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

oh. you can click links it's just impossibly dumb.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
can u post with it tho???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

lol

i kind of wish i lived in sf because they have cool bars, the ones here in berkeley are kind of lame but at least we have Fieldwork I guess.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Stereotype posted:

can u post with it tho???

you can't type with it, lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

trip report.

to get to a website you have to literally use your voice and tell google to search for it.

you can't type anything so you can't log in.

yospos bitch

guess i'm done here

thanks for reading.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

oh yeah to click a link on a page you touch two fingers to the touchpad and move your head around to point a crosshair at the link. it's so bad.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Elder Postsman posted:

no I am not nearly organized or patient enough and I def. do not have the necessary attention span to do something like that.

neither did or do I.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i have no regrets sending that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

there's a star chart app for it that's actually kinda cool

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
google didn't find a large enough audience to be willing to wear a device that records the user's pov constantly while wearing it and the batteries didn't last long enough to gather sufficient data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

trip report.

to get to a website you have to literally use your voice and tell google to search for it.

you can't type anything so you can't log in.

yospos bitch

guess i'm done here

thanks for reading.

i'm the free word brain

• Locked thread