Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
munce
Oct 23, 2010

A new cold war with Russia seems to be heating up, so this seems like a good time to have a look back at the old cold war.

I present: Soldier of Fortune magazine 100th edition, February 1986. It is the concentrated essence of 1980s America - freedom, guns, anti-communism, mercenaries, knives and war strories.

A word from the publisher. He ran an A-Team in Nam so you know he's legit.

Contents page. There's a lot of stuff but i'll only post the good bits.

The first ad. Knives seem to be very important to mercenaries.

Letters page. Gives a view on the state of mind of the readers.

News page. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Battle blades. I think this is what people did before youtube katana videos.

The conclusion to battle blades. Solid practical advice.

Witness protection shotgun. The name is funnier than the article.

Elephant pants.

That's the articles out of the way. Now on to what really makes this shine - the ads.

Miss Sherwood 1986.

Typical ad with stun gun, surveilance gear etc. Note the authentic Indiana Jones hat.

Kukri knife. The real deal.

Patriotic tshirts.

Unusual new books. There are many more ads like this in the magazine promising 'secret techniques' for all sorts of stuff.

New posters. Pure gold.

Just look at this guy.

I think its an ad for a blowgun.

Sap gloves, billies and 'paperweights'.

More blowguns and posters.

Donate to a good cause.

The famous fedora.

Adventurer's bullwhip and the first of many gun for hire ads.

Patriotic sportswear.

Anti-communist Rock'n'Roll!

We have things for sale.

Some of the images in the ads were pretty cool so I cleaned them up.

Death before dishonor.

Eat lead you lousy red.

Mac 10.

Feelin' mean like a US marine.

Hey Moscow, Up Yours.

Russia Sucks.

Uzi Does It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
for some reason a friend's dad gave his son one of those blowdart tubes and we stuck someone's dog with it. that's my sof magazine story

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

for some reason a friend's dad gave his son one of those blowdart tubes and we stuck someone's dog with it. that's my sof magazine story

I can't imagine they got used for anything else. If anyone ever used one to hunt for food or silently eliminate a jungle sentry i'll eat my hat.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
good thread

Edit: I wonder if you could take the ads in the 80s version of Black Belt Magazine, Heavy Metal, and Soldier of Fortune; mix them up and have posters guess which add was from what magazine.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 16, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those are some really good elephant trousers.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

munce posted:

Eat lead you lousy red.

Hey Moscow, Up Yours.

Russia Sucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary had a tramp stamp of one of these.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

lol she probably does

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

At that time Hillary was busy getting murderers off on technicalities. She only became a bloodthirsty warmonger later in life

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
somebody call those mercs and give em an offer

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
This is great, thanks op.

Can I get the poster with the naked lady with a tiger?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Soldier of Fortune really did get a lot of Americans to join the Rhodesian army, it was weird.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Do they still publish SOF? Cause that will be great on my coffee table next to my wife's brass animal collection.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It ended this year I think, remember seeing something about it and being surprised it was still a thing.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

ChrisHansen posted:

This is great, thanks op.

Can I get the poster with the naked lady with a tiger?

You can save the image - I don't have the original magazine any more so I can't re-scan at higher quality. Most of the ads were pretty small to start with anyway. Or you could take a gamble and send them 6.95 in the mail. Who knows? Maybe the Las Vegas Survival Store is still running.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

munce posted:

Adventurer's bullwhip and the first of many gun for hire ads.

holy poo poo I found an article that mentions this exact guy. apparently he became a hitman cause that's all he got calls for:

quote:

That certainly held true for hit men who advertised in Soldier of Fortune. One of them, Knoxville, Tennessee nightclub operator and former prison guard Richard Michael Savage, said that he received 30 to 40 calls a week after he placed this ad in the June 1985 issue of the magazine: "GUN FOR HIRE: 37-year-old professional mercenary desires jobs. Vietnam veteran. Discrete and very private. Body guard, courier, and other special skills. All jobs considered."

One called wanted to recruit a small army to raid a gold mine in Alaska, one of Savage's hitman associates told People magazine in 1986; another floated a plot to steal an army payroll in South America.

Based on its interview with the Savage associate, People magazine reported in 1986:

Yet another wanted to raid Nicaragua and promised to supply guns, camouflage clothing, rubber boats and $50,000 for each mercenary when the raid was completed. Savage...was enthusiastic about every harebrained scheme he heard, but ultimately was persuaded to concentrate on murder. So, if the caller sounded discreet, Savage would ask for a round-trip airline ticket and $1,000; the two would meet face-to-face, then feel each other out in a minuet of death, until each was certain of the other's credentials.

Two of the respondents Savage contacted were business associates of suburban Atlanta resident Richard Braun. Not long after the ad was published, Savage and two associates ambushed Braun and his 16-year-old son in the driveway of their home. Triggerman Sean Trevor Doutre stepped in front of the car and fired a MAC 11 assault pistol. Braun was shot and killed; his son was wounded.

Four months later, Savage subcontracted the murder of Palm Beach, Florida resident Anita Spearman, who was clubbed to death by Doutre while she slept. The victim's husband contracted her murder for $20,000 after reading Savage's ad in Soldier of Fortune.

Another hit man, Texas long haul trucker John Hearn, said "If I had never run an ad in Soldier of Fortune I would have never killed anyone." Hearn's 1984 ad, which ran in four issues of the magazine, solicited "High risk assignments, U.S. or overseas." After it was published, Hearn said, he was so deluged with phone calls that he was forced to hire an answering service. He estimated that 90 percent of the callers wanted to pay him to commit a crime, including bombings, jailbreaks, and assaults, and that he received three-to-five contract murder offers per day.

In February 1985 Hearn shot to death Sandra Black in a hit arranged by her husband for $10,000. Later that year he committed a double murder in Florida after being hired by another Soldier of Fortune reader.

Brown stopping running gun-for-hire ads in 1986 after the Savage killings came to light, though he and his staff denied any responsibility for the murders. "We're as culpable as any newspaper which accepts an ad from a used-car salesman and doesn't go out to check the condition of his brakes," said Executive Editor Bill Guthrie.
http://www.alternet.org/story/152413/the_dark_side_of_%22soldier_of_fortune%22_magazine%3A_contract_killers_and_mercenaries_for_hire

this is one of the last editions of this dumb-rear end rag that still carried the "will do illegal poo poo for money" ads

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

holy poo poo I found an article that mentions this exact guy. apparently he became a hitman cause that's all he got calls for:

http://www.alternet.org/story/152413/the_dark_side_of_%22soldier_of_fortune%22_magazine%3A_contract_killers_and_mercenaries_for_hire

this is one of the last editions of this dumb-rear end rag that still carried the "will do illegal poo poo for money" ads

This was also teh plot of a real good x-files epsiode

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another home-grown industry stolen.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

munce posted:

Eat lead you lousy red.

Mac 10.

Feelin' mean like a US marine.

Hey Moscow, Up Yours.

Russia Sucks.

Uzi Does It.

holy gently caress these own

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

LOL the guy went expecting a The Dogs of War or an Avenger sort of deal out of the magazine ads. I wonder if people posting ads on Black Belt Magazine were expecting to be called for the Kumite qualifiers (and ended up just beating people in back alley street fights).

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Burt Reynolds teaches gun repair.

Aww yeah.

Deadly weapons answers all your burning questions about shooting guns at cars.

Deadly weapons part 2.

Vietnam war art.

The slingshot knife is an essential merc tool.

Military leaders on tshirts.

Survival books packed with secret information.

So you want to be a mercenary.

Patriotic anti-Vietnam stuff.

M & M Enterprises seem to have all the good stuff.

This guy is definitely advertising in the right magazine.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

munce posted:

M & M Enterprises seem to have all the good stuff.

hell to the fuckin yeah

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i need this magazine in my life

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I saw a hanoi jane bumpersticker on a current model truck recently, so clearly there's still a market for at least some of thsi stuff

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i feel like they would sell really well in military surplus stores

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I like that russia sucks shirt

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

holy gently caress these own

There's so many great slogans its hard to pick a favourite. I wonder if there's a treasure trove of other art by the same guys hidden away somewhere.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I frequent the nearby VFW hall and in all the urinals they stuck a sticker of the JANE FONDA FRAG image

e: in the urinals that is, sorry I been drinking at the vfw with Vietnam vets that share almost no commonalities with my experiences in Afghanistan

Iron Prince fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 17, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

luv 2 date boys posted:

I frequent the nearby VFW hall and in all the urinals they stuck a sticker of the JANE FONDA FRAG image

e: in the urinals that is, sorry I been drinking at the vfw with Vietnam vets that share almost no commonalities with my experiences in Afghanistan

I belive those are the urinal targets listed for 1.50 eatch or 15 for a dozen

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

good stuff. As a non-american, I wonder what americans think of the state of things in N.America during this era, with regards to the guns/drugs/military/etc topics covered in the magazines. Seems like a crazy party time of no holds barred excess from every side.

It all seems like a crazy fantasy world to me. If anyone lived through the miami drug wars could you please post your scarface stories i would like to hear them.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

munce posted:

good stuff. As a non-american, I wonder what americans think of the state of things in N.America during this era, with regards to the guns/drugs/military/etc topics covered in the magazines. Seems like a crazy party time of no holds barred excess from every side.

We often refer to this time as "the good 'ol days".

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 17, 2016

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the united states in general owned from 1945 to 1990. fun times

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

If a New Cold War means that we get more of this, I'm for it.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

the united states in general owned from 1945 to 1990. fun times

A Good Period. if only we could repeat it a few more times with ever increasing technology.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

guns for tits posted:

If a New Cold War means that we get more of this, I'm for it.

Jokes on you, all we'll get is Huffbo blogs about why fighting for freedom is a problematic microaggresion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

munce posted:

It all seems like a crazy fantasy world to me. If anyone lived through the miami drug wars could you please post your scarface stories i would like to hear them.

Soldier of Fortune has always been more fringe than not. Even in the rah rah 80's the kind of stereotypical Soldier of Fortune reader was portrayed as a crazy person in movies/TV.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

munce posted:

On a hot July day in 1979, a white Ford parcel delivery truck rolled into the parking lot of the Dadeland Mall, the largest shopping center in south Florida. If anyone had looked closely at the truck, he would have noticed that the signs on its sides did not match. The left side read “Happy Time Complete Party Supply,” while the right side read “Happy Time Complete Supply Party.” The signs were crudely stenciled in red paint. There was a telephone number underneath, but if anyone had called it, he would not have’ learned anything about party supplies.

The truck drove toward the southwest corner of the mall, where a Crown Liquors store was tucked between a Cozzoli’s Deli and Mr. John’s, a beauty salon. Dadeland was a showcase of subtropical suburban living. Spread over fifty acres, it sat on a small canal in Kendall, a vast bedroom community that every weekday sent an army of white-collar workers ten miles north into downtown Miami. Kendall was a place of manicured lawns and ranch-style homes, not quite up to the luxurious Spanish architecture of Coral Gables, but as ail-American as things got in Dade County.

The white truck had come to Dadeland for a rendezvous with German Jimenez Panesso, a man who was going to make a purchase at Crown Liquors. Jimenez was one of the top cocaine dealers in Miami. The men in the white truck were also cocaine dealers. Like Jimenez, they were Colombian. The truck stopped at the curb near the liquor store, as if to make a delivery. The motor kept running.
About 2:20 p.m. Jimenez and his twenty-two-year-old bodyguard, Juan Carlos Hernandez, pulled into the Dadeland parking lot in a new white Mercedes-Benz sedan. They left a loaded 9-mm Browning automatic pistol on the floor in the backseat and walked unarmed into Crown Liquors.

Inside they asked clerk Thomas Capozzi for a bottle of Chivas Regal. Capozzi pointed to a shelf on the right. Hernandez went to fetch the bottle for his boss. Just then, two men walked from the white truck into the liquor store. One leveled a silenced .380 Beretta automatic handgun at Jimenez and opened fire. The other joined in with an Ingram MAC-10 machine pistol. The shooters sprayed Jimenez and Hernandez, shattering bottles on the shelves. Hernandez died where he stood, falling on his back, the quart of Scotch unbroken on the floor next to his left elbow. Jimenez dropped face up as he tried to run out the door, part of his head blown away by four or five .45-caliber slugs from the MAC-10. Capozzi, wounded by a stray bullet that hit his right shoulder and tore through his chest, staggered out of the store. The bullets went through cases of liquor and wine and the store’s ceiling. The man with the MAC-10 emptied his thirty-round clip and reloaded.

Morgan Perkins, an eighteen-year-old stock boy eating lunch in the backroom, heard the commotion and came out front. He saw a man in a white shirt and dark pants shooting up the store. Perkins fell to the floor behind the counter, crawled to the front door, bolted into the parking lot, and scrambled under a parked car.

Next door in Cozzoli’s, people heard the noise, and somebody yelled, “Skylab is falling.” Everybody laughed. A woman and her son finished their lunch, walked out, and saw glass all over the sidewalk. They heard the gunfire. The boy ran ahead into the parking lot and spotted Capozzi, the wounded clerk. “Somebody’s hit in the parking lot!” the boy yelled.

The woman ran back to Cozzoli’s, but by then the owners had locked the door. “They’re shooting! Call the police!” she yelled.

The woman ran to Mr. John’s on the other side of the liquor store. The beauty salon customers had heard the slugs hitting the liquor store walls and thought it was just teenagers making noise. Then it dawned. “Call the police,” the salon manager yelled to his receptionist. “Dial 911.”

After firing more than sixty times, the killers stopped. They dropped the MAC-10 inside the liquor store, ran outside, and jumped into the cab of the white truck. Another man in the cab spied Perkins hiding under a car and fired a .30-caliber carbine at him. Perkins took bullets in both feet. “Why are they shooting at me?” he screamed. “I didn’t do anything.” To cover their getaway, the men in the cab indiscriminately blasted the mall parking lot with their weapons. They got so excited, they shot out their own rearview mirror. The bullets tore holes into parked cars and shattered plate-glass store windows. One shot ruptured a car’s fuel tank, spilling gasoline into the parking lot. Another bullet whizzed by the ear of a pedestrian. The white truck finally disappeared around the Jordan Marsh store at the south end of the mall. The shooting was over in less than three minutes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

spooky like this! posted:

Soldier of Fortune has always been more fringe than not. Even in the rah rah 80's the kind of stereotypical Soldier of Fortune reader was portrayed as a crazy person in movies/TV.

On the other hand, the A-Team was a very popular show, and it's basically the same fantasy as sold by Soldier of Fortune

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

bum ba bummmm bum bum bummmm
ba da da da da daaa doo do doot doot doooo

(that's the a-team theme)

munce
Oct 23, 2010

The Mac-10 seems to be a favourite. Also good to see the movies weren't far off from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So anyway, I read that article in 2011 about SOF, and I looked up the story about the guy who got executed in Africa after answering a call for mercenaries in the magazine.

I found this:

http://www.mercenary-wars.net/angola/acker.html

It's an article written by one of the mercs involved ten years after the incident (1986). Bonus points for casual racism (refers to the Angolan soldiers as "blacks"). Still, interesting read. I presume this magazine was filled with this kind of stuff?

• Locked thread