Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Were the Angolan soldiers not black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
The videogame was awesome and really ahead of its time, never played the sequel. Btw the game actually came with subscription cards for the magazine.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
All the clothes go from sizes XS to XL. From the heady days when XL was the largest you could get.

What a world we left behind

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
What movies mentioned Soldier of Fortune?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Borneo Jimmy posted:

The videogame was awesome and really ahead of its time, never played the sequel. Btw the game actually came with subscription cards for the magazine.

The second one was pretty good too. What you never want to play is the console one, which sucked.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
It was one of my first super gory pc games.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

At that time Hillary was busy getting murderers off on technicalities. She only became a bloodthirsty warmonger later in life

fwiw, she apparently met with marine recruiters in 1975 but says she was rejected for being too old (27), having bad eyes and being a girl

she'd been protesting the vietnam war a few years earlier, but 20-somethings are very confused people, so who the gently caress knows what was going through her head

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Helical Nightmares posted:

What movies mentioned Soldier of Fortune?

Tremors I think

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Having poo poo vision or even the wrong type of laser eye surgery will get you disqualified for a lot in the military.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Duckbag posted:

fwiw, she apparently met with marine recruiters in 1975 but says she was rejected for being too old (27), having bad eyes and being a girl

she'd been protesting the vietnam war a few years earlier, but 20-somethings are very confused people, so who the gently caress knows what was going through her head

In onr of the leaks, she later says it was entirely due to being too old and in poor health and she apparently made up the stuff about being a girl

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Duckbag posted:

so who the gently caress knows what was going through her head

seems like a raging case of dementia

munce
Oct 23, 2010

nickmeister posted:

So anyway, I read that article in 2011 about SOF, and I looked up the story about the guy who got executed in Africa after answering a call for mercenaries in the magazine.

I found this:

http://www.mercenary-wars.net/angola/acker.html

It's an article written by one of the mercs involved ten years after the incident (1986). Bonus points for casual racism (refers to the Angolan soldiers as "blacks"). Still, interesting read. I presume this magazine was filled with this kind of stuff?

Yep, that exact article is in the issue I posted. I didn't put it here because its 10 pages long but its actually one of the more interesting pieces.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

If anyone is interested, apparently there was a Russian version of SOF magazine, and they are all available on line:

http://sof-mag.ru/arxiv.html

Looks pretty much identical to the american version, but without the funny ads.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Isn't that "Hey Moscow, Up Yours!" Shirt the one that dude in Highlander is wearing when he gets fu led up in the alleyway?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I picked up a Ruger Mini 14 complete with folding original stock, from 1987. Can't wait to be a part of the new A- team

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
You want the AC-556, it's full auto. Russians come in like from under the ground horde style, like Gears of War

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fernguppie posted:

Isn't that "Hey Moscow, Up Yours!" Shirt the one that dude in Highlander is wearing when he gets fu led up in the alleyway?

YES, I knew I had seen that shirt somewhere recently and I did just watch Highlander the other day.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a goon needs to kickstart the "eat lead, you lousy red" shirt." id back it

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Are wonder if those designs still belong to anyone...?

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 20, 2016

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think Hideo Kojima ever hosed this magazine?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

Do you think Hideo Kojima ever hosed this magazine?

I'm sure he used it to mouth rape somebody, like Bishop did in Alien.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Look what I found.

Original 1984 tshirts selling for $220 a piece from some shop in thailand.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

Are wonder if those designs still belong to anyone...?

Copyright will probably cover them for another 50 years

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

munce posted:

Look what I found.

Original 1984 tshirts selling for $220 a piece from some shop in thailand.

lmao he's wearing a 'kill a commie for mommie" shirt

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
0lease add these to the list of shirts goons need to get made. Right after i buy the "america deswrved 911" and "death is certain" shirts

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

0lease add these to the list of shirts goons need to get made. Right after i buy the "america deswrved 911" and "death is certain" shirts

If you wear that stuff you're not fit to touch this patriotic grandeur.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Duckbag posted:

lmao he's wearing a 'kill a commie for mommie" shirt

I was wondering what the last word was.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd download the poo poo out of a collection of scans of this magazine but I didn't find anything on the pirate files site I checked :(

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Edgar posted:

It was one of my first super gory pc games.

Oh yeah I remember playing soldier of fortune 2 on pc. It had full dismemberment which was pretty unique at the time. Blast chunks off people with a shotgun. Good stuff.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

spooky like this! posted:

Soldier of Fortune has always been more fringe than not. Even in the rah rah 80's the kind of stereotypical Soldier of Fortune reader was portrayed as a crazy person in movies/TV.

The one guy from Falling Down basically.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

munce posted:

Uzi Does It.

I want this on a shirt.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Regrettable posted:

I want this on a shirt.

Nothing's stopping you getting a shirt printed up to use yourself. Selling them might get you in trouble if the original owner found out. Mind you, getting your door kicked down by a 75 year old uzi wielding ex-merc out to protect his tshirt revenue would make for an interesting story.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

munce posted:

Nothing's stopping you getting a shirt printed up to use yourself. Selling them might get you in trouble if the original owner found out. Mind you, getting your door kicked down by a 75 year old uzi wielding ex-merc out to protect his tshirt revenue would make for an interesting story.

I wouldn't be too worried about it since 99% of those people are just fantasizing about this stuff and have never come anywhere near actual combat.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

the remaining 1% are convicted murderers though

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
An UZI shirt would be unAmerican. Go with Winchester or Springfield.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

FedEx Mercury posted:

This true

How about "Hello it's good UZI you!"

munce
Oct 23, 2010

FedEx Mercury posted:

Ahem..

Ingram MAC-10
MAC-10 (.45 ACP)
Type Machine Pistol
Place of origin United States

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

munce posted:

Ahem..

Ingram MAC-10
MAC-10 (.45 ACP)
Type Machine Pistol
Place of origin United States

Yeah Mac 10s are fine. But please don't appropriate the Uzi, it's one of the very few famous Israeli weapons.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Isn't the gun he's using some sort of AK ==> Communist gun?

Maybe these shirts are a Kremlin trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
my dad told me that when he was growing up he knew a guy in the tiny little town he came from that had a few AKs "so that when the commies invade I can use their own ammunition against them" so really that guy on the shirt is like a superpatriot defending the homeland

• Locked thread