Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's because he makes some very clownish mistakes here and there that are hard to forget, like the fumble last week or his struggles at knowing when halftime begins. He is a talented passer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

NattyBo posted:

It's just really annoying and any time he makes a mistake it's magnified like other QBs never do the same. Hell even around here some people hold him to blame for RG3, and can't get over the fact that he is occasionally going to turn the ball over.

we call this the andy dalton problem friendo

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NattyBo posted:

By The Numbers: Why It's Time To Pay Kirk Cousins

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1721709-why-it-s-time-to-pay-kirk-cousins

Finally. Hopefully the national perception starts to change. I think Kirk has gotten a pretty bad rap due to some struggles in primetime early in his career but the numbers don't lie.

His numbers certainly look great when you exclude his first 3 seasons, or 40% of the games he's played in the NFL. That's Sam Bradford math.

Maybe cut the sample size smaller and just take his games against the Eagles and he'll sound like Tom Brady.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wait, how can Kirk Cousins be the best QB in the NFL if Tony Romo is still in the league, and he is the greatest QB to ever play the game?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

a new study bible! posted:

Tony Romo is still in the league

Doubtful.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Just wanted to say that the NFCE has no team under .500.

Thanks and god bless.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
TFF is still so shook up they were wrong about both RG3 and now Kirk Cousins.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Late to Cousins-chat but he is a good QB and I hope the Redskins sign him (assuming he doesn't fall apart). His red-zone turnovers early in the season were annoying and he needs to work on his deep ball, but he can move the offense and he seems to make decent enough decisions. He has had a pretty ineffective running game for most of last year and this year and despite that he has still put up pretty decent numbers.

NattyBo posted:

I really see him as well above average but I think the national perception is different. I'm not ready to go back into the wilderness of putrid QBs. Cousins gives us a chance to win most of the games we play in, which is good enough.

I mean he's 6th in passing yards, 10th in passing TDs, can run when he needs to, 14th in completion % and 6th in completions of 20+ yards. The reality is you can't match that production with some free agent JAG, unless there's a can't miss rookie in the draft, which we won't be high enough to get anyway.

I don't know where I'd rank Cousins in terms of QBs in the league, probably somewhere around 12th? I think he's certainly above average which is a big deal, given that like you said there is a big dropoff in play between Cousins and the bottom half of QBs in the league that are pretty much dumpster fires. I'm not well versed in football contracts and the salary cap, but if he keeps up this play it seems like you might just have to pay the guy because having an effective offense is kind of important, and you can't just grab a guy off the street or in the middle to late first round of the draft and expect quality play at the position.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

His numbers certainly look great when you exclude his first 3 seasons, or 40% of the games he's played in the NFL. That's Sam Bradford math.

Maybe cut the sample size smaller and just take his games against the Eagles and he'll sound like Tom Brady.

I mean, that leaves out room for growth. QBs do develop. He also wasn't a starter and in an absolutely toxic situation due to RG3 and ownership vs coaching staffs

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

TheLightPurges posted:

TFF is still so shook up they were wrong about both RG3 and now Kirk Cousins.

I never believed in RG3 and was always on the see what Cousins can do wagon

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The NFC East was really bad last year but is now really good. Eat poo poo haters!!!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RG3 had everything to succeed except an ability to slide and any sense of self-preservation whatsoever. Nobody ate avoidable killshots like Bobby G Tres.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

we call this the andy dalton problem friendo

The Tannehill Trait

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

NattyBo posted:

I mean, that leaves out room for growth. QBs do develop.

This is his 5th year in the league, what you see is what you get at this point.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cash Monet posted:

That's historically false, even without factoring in the tumultuous situation Cousins has been in. I doubt he's ever going to Kurt Warner the league, but there's definitely still time for growth and improvement.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Cash Monet posted:

It's only his second year as a full time starter. This is exactly what I was talking about. Also what we get is a guy on pace to break his own franchise records which he set last year. Lol

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It's Stafford's eighth year. :shrug:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

sean10mm posted:

RG3 had everything to succeed except an ability to slide and any sense of self-preservation whatsoever. Nobody ate avoidable killshots like Bobby G Tres.

RG3 has very little ability as a pocket passer so I'm not sure where you get "has everything"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nodoze posted:

RG3 has very little ability as a pocket passer so I'm not sure where you get "has everything"

He can make every throw you could ask of him, which is something you can not say for Bortles or Osweiller.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

I meant on paper, obviously he's a bust. Coming out of college he was a 6'2" fast strong far throwing guy who was supposed to be intelligent.

Though he might have developed better if he didn't keep dying so who knows? :rip:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

sean10mm posted:

I meant on paper, obviously he's a bust. Coming out of college he was a 6'2" fast strong far throwing guy who was supposed to be intelligent.

Though he might have developed better if he didn't keep dying so who knows? :rip:

Imagine what RG3 might have been if Jim Harbaugh coached him instead of Shanahan. :eyepop:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Chichevache posted:

He can make every throw you could ask of him, which is something you can not say for Bortles or Osweiller.

Kyle Boller could throw a ball into the end zone on his knees from the 50, arm strength means nothing if you never learn to read a defense

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NattyBo posted:

Kyle Boller could throw a ball into the end zone on his knees from the 50, arm strength means nothing if you never learn to read a defense

I meant make every throw, not just throw hard. Colin Kaepernick has a massive loving arm, but he can't throw a fade to save his life.

But yes, reading a defense matters too and not just for pocket passers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Things you look for in a QB prospect:
1. His arm strength. How far can he throw?
2. His accuracy. Can he place the ball anywhere on the field?
3. His precision. Can he place the ball in a specific spot when he throws there?
4. His girlfriend. Is she hot enough for a NFL QB?
5. His stance on the National Anthem. Does he capitalize National Anthem when he types it out?
6. His footwork. Is he able to consistently do proper step drops into a quick delivery?
7. His neckbeard. How thick and coarse is it?
8. His delivery. Is there a hitch in it or is it a smooth transition?
9. His support of Donald Trump. Is it true or just ironic?
10. His ability to read progressions. Does he favor one side of the field?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Chichevache posted:

He can't though

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Doltos posted:

1. His arm strength. How far can he throw?
3. His precision. Can he place the ball in a specific spot when he throws there?
4. His girlfriend. Is she hot enough for a NFL QB?
5. His stance on the National Anthem. Does he capitalize National Anthem when he types it out?
6. His footwork. Is he able to consistently do proper step drops into a quick delivery?
7. His neckbeard. How thick and coarse is it?
8. His delivery. Is there a hitch in it or is it a smooth transition?
9. His support of Donald Trump. Is it true or just ironic?
10. His ability to read progressions. Does he favor one side of the field?

What about his name???

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nodoze posted:

He can't though

The only throws I ask him to make are ones that land far from his receivers or land in the hands of his opponents, and he manages to do that very well

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

NattyBo posted:

It's just really annoying and any time he makes a mistake it's magnified like other QBs never do the same. Hell even around here some people hold him to blame for RG3, and can't get over the fact that he is occasionally going to turn the ball over.

That sounds suspiciously like Jay Cutler...

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

I know the rest of the post has jokes but I can't tell if this was one, please elaborate the difference

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Febreeze posted:

I know the rest of the post has jokes but I can't tell if this was one, please elaborate the difference

my guess would be accuracy is being able to spread the ball out over the field whereas precision is more about throwing into tight windows

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I remember correctly, accuracy means "dude can throw where he aims to," whereas precision is "dude is accurate often."

Don't quote me on that though.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Accuracy refers to how close you are to the target, precision refers to consistency.

For example, a quarterback who always throws five yards past his receiver is not accurate but is precise.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Bottom right are your Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings. Bottom left are your Marinos, Rivers, and Romos. Top right are your scattergun QBs like Cutler or Favre. Top left are your favorite insert busts here: ______

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

To steal a phrase from baseball regarding pitchers, it's about accuracy within the strike zone. Pitcher A and Pitcher B could both throw 80 out of 100 pitches for strikes, but Pitcher A might be much much more successful because he's able to pick the corners all day while Pitcher B throws 40 hanging curves down the middle.

It's an issue that I've seen guys like Sam Bradford have. They generally don't have terrible overthrows. He'll be in the ballpark of his receiver almost every throw, it's just that a ton of his throws are off target enough to prevent any real YAC or easy walk in TD's in some spots. Eli has this problem on occasion as well during the phases when he doesn't trust his offensive line.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

to balance that post out with the low content post I wanted to make -

it's October 30th 2016, and the NFC East remains the best division in football

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
eli is high accuracy high precision you turd how dare you besmirch our gooberlord

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Metapod posted:

Intruder please change the thread title to the AFC South is the best division in football

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

Intruder please change the thread title to the AFC South is the best division in football

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Doltos posted:

1. His arm strength. How far can he throw? Can he Unleash The Dragon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
put romo and dak on the field in the same formation....

• Locked thread