Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

axeil posted:

Uh, isn't a ligament tear nearly a guarantee with an injury like that? The dude's ankle rotated 360

It wasn't quite that gnarly. I figured it was shattered when we saw it just kinda hanging there crooked, but it's not like it was facing the other way or anything. Dislocation is maybe the best news you can hope for with how bad that looked at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Sorry for the double post, but:

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/Saints/status/906161488804663297

:stare:

i am really glad he got that exam. get well soon dorenbos!

Oh hey, I've got one of those. Way scarier than it sounds up to a certain point, but it also means you need to not exert yourself too much. So that's not ideal for a football player. Good news is it's a relatively simple repair that lasts a lifetime.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Lote posted:

It sounds scary because it is. If that thing pops, you're dead in less than a minute.

Yeah, but there are varying degrees to it. I'm relatively okay for now because mine's not too large and I'm not a football player. His could be larger, or it could just be in serious jeopardy because of his vocation (or both, of course). The word 'aneurysm' makes it scary as poo poo, but it's also not automatically a reason to assume the worst.

Even if his is as 'benign' as mine is, he'd still need surgery to get it repaired ASAP if he ever wanted to be cleared to play football again.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

axeil posted:

We don't have any rings but we are good at :justpost:

Also the refs were loving up so bad in the Washington/Philly game that I had this horrible feeling they were going to gently caress over someone. I still don't think it was a fumble.

It super wasn't a fumble. The ball was clearly moving forward. It had even left Cousins's hand.

I mean, whatever, I'll take it, but hoo boy.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah the thing is that the debate is about if the ball came loose from the Defender's left hand hitting Kirk's arm and then Kirk's arm moved it forward.

Once you start splitting hairs like that they generally just go with the call on the field.

Yeah, in my opinion the ball looks like it's perfectly in Kirk's control right up until it gets batted into the air, but by then we're squinting at blurry still images and we're probably past the point where we can definitively say "oh yes we have absolute, conclusive evidence that the call should be overturned."

I'd be furious if I were a Redskins fan, because it's pretty clear—just not quite clear enough.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
When the Giants put Beckham out to return the (presumably short) field goal attempt, I got that familiar "The Giants and the Eagles have been hosts to a Caligulan miasma of shitfuckery" lump in my throat, which turned out to be a stunningly accurate read of the situation, just not in the way I'd expected.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

axeil posted:

i honestly wonder how much a factor the weather was. 91 degrees at kickoff is gotta be some of the hottest temps a modern game has ever been played in since all the areas that get really hot are in domes.

Eh, it was hot, but it wasn't that hot:

https://www.pro-football-reference....rder_by=pass_td

Philly beating the poo poo out of Dallas in 109-degree (fuckin hell) heat thanks to the wonders of pickle juice will, long after the rest of my mind has rotted away to dementia, remain a wonderful memory

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 25, 2017

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

axeil posted:

109 :stare:

This was the warmest game played in the Northeast since 2008 when there were 2 games in week 2 with temperatures of 90 (NO@WAS, NE@NYJ).

The last game above 91 in the Northeast was 2005 when Dallas came to Washington in Week 2 (HOU@PIT and CAR@NE were both 90). Other than that I can't find any other games above 90 in the Northeast in pro-football-refrence's database.

If we cut it down to the northeast, yeah, I have to imagine there haven't been many instances where a game was played in hotter weather. Especially since the humidity was in the 50-60% range most of the game, IIRC.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeesh. I saw him holding his knee after the play and figured "welp, there goes his season," then saw him walking off and holding his wrist and figured, "okay, that's weird, but at least it's just his wrist." It's like years of being a runningback the size of a ninth grader caught up with him all at once.

(get well buddy)

(also gently caress's sakes, casually walking off the field with a broken arm and a torn ACL)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

CyberPingu posted:

My biggest concern is that teams are eventually going to figure out that dink and dunk style is the way to beat us. Our CBs are not playing at the line so short curl and crossing routes are picking up decent yds. This should change once Darby is back but the Giants showed that you can march on us by doing that and the Chargers did it a couple of times

That probably becomes a bit less of a factor when the secondary isn't held together by chewed bubble gum and hope, but yeah, their insistence on playing off the line is kind of weird.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
[quote="“Gumbel2Gumbel”" post="“477000024”"]
I’m cheering for the skins right now because I don’t believe Andy Reid has somehow coached up Alex Smith to run a world beating offense.

It has to be a fluke.
[/quote]

Reminder that Andy Reid also made Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley look legitimately good for a bit

gently caress I miss Andy. Like I know it was definitely time for him to go because he was over this place, but maaan.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah Wentz definitely didn't look perfect yesterday but he was right on the money with a lot of tough throws, and there were a few that definitely should've been catches and would have bumped his numbers considerably.

He's coming along. Dude looks good. It helps that they're building around him and he doesn't have to languish with a Pinkston/Thrash/Mitchell-level receiving corps and no running game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Agholor's never going to get any velocity on his fastball if he keeps his arm folded like that

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

a new study bible! posted:

I've been hurt by Philly too many times to accept that they even have the potential to be good. I'm just assuming that they have been lucky up to this point and wait for the crash any week now. This week should be an interesting measure of their ability.

Same. I think they're somewhere between the team that barely beat the Giants and the team that demolished the Cardinals, and while that's probably enough to win the division I don't think it's enough to make a run past, say, the divisional round.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Any Eagles fan will tell you the Giants are like Jason Vorhees: You can be absolutely positive they and their dumb lumbering bullshit are dead, but that's how they fuckin get you

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

NotWearingPants posted:

If the Eagles lose to the Panthers on Thursday (possible) and the Redskins beat the 49ers this week (probable), the Redskins could tie the Eagles in the standings by beating them Monday Night on Oct 23.

Technically the Eagles would still have a slight division record edge, but both teams would be 4-2.

Eagles losing to the Panthers is way more than just possible, imo

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

CyberPingu posted:

Rewatched the game again, Wentz really needs to learn how to slide, on most of his runs he dives head first to gain extra yards, which is fine when you are fighting for first down yds but when you are already past the marker just loving slide...

Some QBs just have a mental block against that poo poo. Vick was the same way.

Maybe Wentz can be coached out of it because he's still so young? I know they tried that in Atlanta with Vick and it never took.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Between Reese and Kalas, Philly really lucked the gently caress out with play-by-play guys

I miss Harry 😟

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s way better than Blount. I understand why Philly fans vastly overrated him (patriots illusion, understandable) but Ajayi is a huge weapon for your one season push

To be fair, Philly fans like Blount not because he was on Patriots but because he has occasionally looked loving brutal this season and is averaging in the neighborhood of five yards per carry. Dude has been a truck, and Philly fans like someone who just runs over or sheds people like they're debris.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Keep that backfield the gently caress away from Sandwich Montoya

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'd like one Election Day to go by without giving me reason to feel sadder than all hell

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Just lol if you're an Eagles fan and don't expect the Cowboys to roll through this team like poo poo through a canebrake because all life is pain

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Totally fair point, but for all his talent and acumen Andy Reid was not immune to making some phenomenally stupid decisions on the fly every now and then

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

HatfulOfHollow posted:

McNabb was the best QB in Eagles history and Reid had a lot to do with that. He definitely made a lot of bonehead decisions but I never understood the Reid haters. He was awesome. Just ran into a lot of better teams.

I will agree that Andy Reid challenges suck and the man has no idea how to call a hurry-up offense though.

I loved Reid and McNabb, and never understood the vitriol. I get being frustrated with a team that's good-to-great while never quite being good-to-great enough, but what's the alternative? Sitting at .500 year to year? Being poo poo for seasons at a time? I'd rather be in contention almost every year and never quite make it than writing off entire seasons six weeks in.

That said, I think Reid overstayed by a couple of years. Dude was very clearly over this gig, and it showed in a bunch of ways. I feel like the number of folks willing to talk poo poo on the Reid era is gonna get smaller and smaller, especially after Chip Kelly's Wild Ride.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, lack of dynamic QB play wasn't the biggest problem with Chip Kelly's team.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
"gently caress it, let's just never punt and go for two every time we score" borne out into a season's worth of play sounds like something Jon Bois would make a video about

Edit: The Eagles are averaging 5.7 yards per play, and have faced 4th and 5 or less a total of 30 times. They've faced 4th and 6 or greater a total of 42 times.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 21, 2017

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

sean10mm posted:

It's hard to trust this because of... all of football history... but this really is how it looks at the moment.

Right now, sure, but I think it's fair to assume the Cowboys will be neck-and-neck with the Eagles for the division most of next season, at the very least. The Eagles are never going to exercise the sort of sustained dominance over the NFCE the way the Patriots have over the AFCE.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Maybe they are much more shallow and fragile than they appeared, but that one-trick pony still managed to win 13 games last year—and look pretty okay this season when Zeke was still around.

Like, I balk at the, "but they lost Sean Lee! And their left tackle! And Zeke!" arguments as much as anybody, because hey, building depth is part of building a successful team, and if you can't do the former you probably won't have the latter—but at the same time, if having those elements in place makes them a contender, then they're a contender until they don't have those elements in place anymore.

Edit: I can't stress enough just how much I want the Cowboys to eat poo poo for the rest of my life on this earth, I'm just sayin' I'll believe they're out of the picture for more than just this season when they start the next one 2-7.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 26, 2017

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah I think lots of folks were expecting the Eagles to lose one of these two games, but most expected that loss to come to the Rams. There's a chance Philly wins next week and makes the upcoming week of "paper tiger" pundit insanity look silly, but I think there's a greater chance they drop that one as well and have to get their poo poo together for the final few games.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, it was a game of tiny miscues and missed opportunities. They're a young team, this poo poo happens. Better now than in the playoffs.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
lol, Wentz felt his knee folding sideways with every step and was like, "meh, lemme take a few snaps on it first"

What a badass/idiot/hero

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Nobody's gonna mistake Foles for Wentz, but dude's an extremely competent QB and probably capable of running this offense well. The team's chances are definitely lower with Wentz out of the picture, but Foles gives them a better chance than most backup QBs would in this situation.

Edit: Like, he didn't look great coming in cold yesterday, but nobody would—and he made a drat good (and critical) throw for a first down on the last drive.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 11, 2017

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

aBagorn posted:

He has a career 5.6% sack rate, comparable to Carson's 5.5%

(this is me grasping at comps)

In his less than a quarter of dropbacks yesterday, he got absolutely loving demolished, like, four times.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

CyberPingu posted:

They were blizting more when Foles came in, hes a bit rusty and not as mobile. Also the O-line went kinda floppy for the first drive or two after Foles came in.

Yeah, I'm not saying it was entirely his fault, I'm just trying to point out that his ability to sense oncoming pressure is maybe not at its peak right now. Dude's going to get walloped, especially if Vaitai folds like he has the past two weeks.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
To be clear, I'm of the mindset that the Eagles are fine, albeit nowhere near as promising as they were before last night. Foles is a competent QB who just needs to play average ball. I don't expect they'll ride him to a Super Bowl, but this isn't the disaster it could have been if it all fell on the shoulders of fuckin' Nate Sudfeld.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

b-minus1 posted:

best case scenario for non-eagles fans: Foles plays out of his mind for the rest of the season but the eagles lose in conference championship game, leading to a quarterback controversy that carries into the regular season and ultimately destroys team chemistry. the eagles miss the playoffs next year

lol, if Foles plays out of his mind for the rest of this season and into the playoffs he's going to be traded for draft picks so, so quickly

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the deeply religious boy from North Carolina who grew up in North Dakota might have some problematic views, but as long as he keeps them largely to himself (as he has been doing), I can't understand giving a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'd start him for a half in a meaningless week 17, just to make sure he isn't getting two weeks without in-game reps before their first playoff game, but yeah: With his propensity—be it intentional or accidental—for standing in the pocket and getting absolutely rocked, it'd be best for the team if he got the most he could out of these games while ducking out the moment he's able.

The biggest 'if' right now is the defense. Can they get their poo poo together? Because the past three weeks have been disastrous. If they can pull it together, all Foles has to do is play competently—and he's shown he's capable of that.

• Locked thread