Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

So does the Pillsbury Throwboy, put Lorenzen on ESPN please.

e: The Battleship

fe2: The Hefty Lefty

fe3: The Abominable Throwman

Leaving out "He Ate Me" is shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we really want to see Ryan Nassib lead the Giants for four games

That's called the preseason. It's mildly interesting.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TeeMerk posted:

Has a 12 and 4 team ever been a wildcard team?

Colts in 2008. They were 12-4 but the Titans started 10-0 and finished 13-3. 49ers were also 12-4 and a wildcard team in 1998 because Atlanta won the old NFC West at 14-2 (And were still the 2 seed cause the Vikings went 15-1).

And related to that, there's been a handful of 11-5 teams to miss the playoffs entirely (Patriots in 2008, one of Elway's teams in the late 80s) and a bunch of ten win teams to stay home (Cardinals, Bucs, and Giants have all done it in the last five or six years).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

89 posted:

Lineman Pro Bowl players are always jokes. Didn't Jeff Saturday make it in the year he was a Packer even though he only played 3-4 games that season?

He actually started 14 games but was really crappy and got benched at the end of the season and for the playoffs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
They actually replayed that game on NFL Network a week or two ago and it was just amazing to watch again.

It also had the NFL equivlent of an eclipse: :manning: bootleg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9ubs1A6kU

It's also noteworthy for almost being a microcosm of some of the dumb media narratives about Romo. He played out of his loving mind the whole game while the defense couldn't stop Denver at all (They turned it over twice, but the Broncos never punted), but at the end Romo throws a pick, which was really an excellent diving play by Danny Trevathan, and then it turns into "HE CHOKED HE SUCKS" for a week.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TheChirurgeon posted:

Both QBs threw a single INT that game, but Romo's a choker because he wasn't able to lead the offense to score 52 points.

My grandfather, 84 at the time, has been a Cowboys fan since the team was founded (Because he loved Tom Landry and was pissed the Giants let him go to eventually hire loving Allie Sherman), did exactly that and blamed Romo. Cowboys fans are all the same.

Also, I just remembered this exists: :romo:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was a season without a quarterback. Its hard to run against 8 in the box every down because brandon weeden isn't unleashing the dragon anytime soon.

I went to PFR to remember the QB's they started that year:

code:

No.           Player   Age Pos  G  GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD Int Lng Y/A AY/A  Y/C   Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
16       Matt Cassel    33  qb  9  7  1-6-0 119 204 58.3 1276  5   7  51 6.3  5.2 10.7 141.8 70.6 14  86 5.46  4.47 6.4   1   1
9          Tony Romo    35  qb  4  4  3-1-0  83 121 68.6  884  5   7  39 7.3  5.5 10.7 221.0 79.4  6  35 6.69  4.99 4.7   1   2
17      Kellen Moore    27  qb  3  2  0-2-0  61 104 58.7  779  4   6  36 7.5  5.7 12.8 259.7 71.0  5  23 6.94  5.19         4.6
3     Brandon Weeden    32  qb  4  3  0-3-0  71  98 72.4  738  2   2  67 7.5  7.0 10.4 184.5 92.1  8  62 6.38  5.91         7.5
Which is pretty yikes. Also, it reminded me that Dez Bryant was hurt and only played in 9 games that year.

So yeah, the 2015 Cowboys were hosed on offense in a lot of ways. In 2017, if they lost Zeke or Dak, not both at once, but most of the other pieces on offense remained intact, they ought to be able to adjust and cope with it reasonably well. But losing both of them, or one of them and a key receiving option like Dez or Witten, and things would probably fall apart, but the same could be said for most teams in similar situations.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 21, 2017

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
You're right. Suspend Brady for life.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Just keep in mind that the 2016 Giants were a bad team that benefited from a lot of luck. They had the second easiest schedule in the league and they went 8-3 in games decided by 7 or fewer points.

Wasn’t it the 2015 Giants team that had it the other way? Like, they’d have been 11-5 if the games ended after 59 minutes but kept losing in the last minute and ended up 6-10 or whatever...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

grah posted:

Of the 6 NFL teams to finish a season with at least 15 wins (including the 16-0 Patriots), only the '85 Bears won the Superbowl. Half of them did not make it to a Superbowl at all. The Packers in 2011 lost to the Giants at home to finish 15-2. The 98 Vikings and 2004 Steelers each lost in the Conference game.

1984 49ers were 15-1 and won the Super Bowl.

Also thank god gently caress McAdoo and Reese was a few years overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
It's also made Day 2 of the draft more interesting to watch. Everyone should be making GBS threads on Dallas at every opportunity.

• Locked thread