Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I for one find 89's "earnest fan who blindly supports his team and thinks they'll win every game and takes every comment about them seriously" gimmick to be charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The 8-1 Cowboys, y'all

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

a new study bible! posted:

That 4 game stretch looked a lot more daunting a few weeks ago

Green Bay, Cincy, and Baltimore all look way worse now, but @Seattle remains the toughest game in the NFL.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

89 posted:

Let's go Bengals

You're wrong about almost everything most of the time and I think it's hilarious that you think the solution to the Eagles' problems is a 30 year-old Desean Jackson but you're right about this, at least

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

shyduck posted:

Turns out Indy and Nashville are really fat too

It's not like Jacksonville is some Mecca of fitness and good eating

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

blue squares posted:

bad timing bro, Romo had a press conference today to announce that Dak has earned the starting spot and will continue to play.

But also Romo being healthy enough to play means that Cousins is no longer a top 4 QB in the division

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Btw, the top four are Romo, Dak, Eli, and Sanchez, obv

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

Hating DeMarco Murray just makes ya look drat crazy.

Seriously. He was hilariously mis-used and wasted by the Eagles

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah but we stole him away from the Cowboys so it was worth it.

But then the Cowboys didn't have a running back so they drafted Ezekiel Elliott.

unintended consequences. :argh:

Letting Demarco walk for the money he wanted was absolutely the correct move, even in hindsight

Even after the Eagles "stole" Demarco away, Darren McFadden had more rushing yards on the season in 2015 with a higher yardage per attempt against teams that put 8 men in the box on every down because they never had to worry about a pass going more than 3 yards downfield. Murray is a strong downhill runner, but he was always more Marion Barber than Emmit Smith.

Also McCoy is better than Murray and the Eagles were also dumb as poo poo for trading him

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Metapod posted:

Demarco owns

He's good, but the Tennessee offensive line doesn't get enough credit. They're a very strong unit with one of the league's lowest sack rates.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

So what makes them a better team then? Their defense is only slightly better statistically than the cowboys while their offense is well behind the cowboys. Are we going by gut feelings?

The Eagles have a more talented defense than the Cowboys by quite a bit, and are much better at generating pass pressure. That said, the one thing the Cowboys defense has done really well this season is avoid giving up explosive plays. They're among the best in the league at not giving up a bunch of extra yards on plays, even if they aren't necessarily stifling when it comes to pass pressure or stuffing the run. The Eagles also have a better ST unit, owing to having better talent on defense that can feed said unit.

On offense, the Cowboys blow the Eagles away in both the pass and the run. I'd say that on the whole, the Eagles' defense is good but a bit overrated statistically based on the poo poo teams they've beaten (excepting Atlanta), while the Cowboys' offense is more legitimate (and improving over the course of the season). On the flip side, the Eagles' offense is below average, while the Cowboys defense manages to be just about average, so the Cowboys have a better team on the whole.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

blue squares posted:

So Romo asked for a chance to prove he should still start and was told no.

gently caress.

I still think he gets the nod after the next loss, particularly if it's a bad one

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Yeah, ideally the Cowboys run Dak all this season, they fall apart in the playoffs, Romo leaves, and then Dak gets exposed as being reliant on everyone around him to look decent.

Yes you've convinced me that he does not belong on this long list of QBs who can succeed with bad talent around them:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

The best defense they've faced this year is.... the fraud rear end Packers? They're going to be shredded as soon as that offense faces a little adversity.

They played the Eagles

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

There's nothing wrong with that! It worked for Dilfer. I'd just like to see Dak without an all-time offensive line to play behind.

The hyperbole here is staggering

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

predicto posted:

This.

All this talk about Dak and Ezekial is hard to evaluate. They may be special, they may not be.

The loving offensive line - that is what is special about the Cowboys right now. Jerruh may be a complete rear end in a million ways, but he understands the No. 1 fundamental fact of football - a dominant O-Line fixes almost all problems. It was true in the 90s when the line made Aikman look like an all-time great QB (he wasn't) and it still is true now.

You guys are out of your loving mind if you think Dak is a Dilfer-level QB

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

Absolutely, but it's even crazier that we play Sunday night going into Thursday mid day. And then we have a similar turnaround later in the season (again on the road too).

The Cowboys have to do this literally every year

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

You're playing Sunday at 1PM, not 8PM, and then at home on Thursday. You also don't have a Monday to Saturday turn around so no.

The Cowboys play every Thanksgiving, so it's happened more than once in the past

Sorry you're super whiny about this

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

Every team plays a Thursday game so this isn't unique to you, I'm just pointing out that we are the only team to have this turnaround twice in a season, guy.

So you just started watching football in 2006, huh?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

Dak is crazy to me, because there are quarters/halves where he looks like straight trash. But because the line is as good as it is, because Zeke is as good as he is, Dak is typically able to recover JUST in time to win the game.

Yes, I really wish Romo was playing. Cause this offense is everything it never was when Tony was out there breaking his everything for this dumbass franchise.:smithicide:

Dak struggles with pressure when opposing teams send the house--he has a harder time sniffing it out pre-snap, and typically doesn't feel the rush well when protection collapses, which is what led to the fumble on the opening drive against Pittsburgh last week. That said, these are both things that can improve over time, so there's hope there.

He's been good with his decision-making for the most part, but has definitely also gotten lucky on a few would-be interceptions. His current INT rate is unsustainable, but he's not the first QB to have an outlier season. What Dak brings to the table that Romo does not, is that while he's an objectively worse passer, he's a much more credible running threat, and that's an asset to Zeke, as it can sometimes open lanes when teams have to worry about a Prescott rush, or punish teams for over-committing to stopping Zeke. That wouldn't be present with Romo, though Romo would probably be a bit more accurate as a passer and improve the team's YPA on passes. Still, it's hard to imagine Romo (or any QB) doing much better than Dak has behind the line right now--Dak's currently sitting on a 106 passer rating. A 10-point improvement from there (Romo in 2014) is really difficult to achieve and probably doesn't buy many more wins.

And yeah, I expect Wentz's ceiling to be higher than Dak's because Wentz was justifiably a first-round pick, but for some reason people can't handle the concept of both being good players.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

blue squares posted:

what a coward

His are the words of a fan whose team is 0-3 in the division

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

89 posted:

It's all about getting to the playoffs.

No, Eagles Fan, it Is About Winning Superbowls

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

Yes, tear yourselves apart, lEasters.

As a fan of an opposing team, I am afraid of Seattle having homefield in the playoffs. I am not afraid of them having to play on the road, and that's where we are rapidly heading

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

blue squares posted:

Dak was fantastic for all but the first 2-3 drives. hard to imagine Romo would do any better. And he historically turns the ball over more, meaning the Ravens might have won if he had done so

Yeah but if I can guarantee one thing with certainty it's that Dak will throw more INTs eventually. It's just not possible for an NFL QB to average an INT rate lower than about 2% and right now Dak is at 0.7%. Which isn't to say he can't keep his INT total down the rest of the season, but keeping an INT count like that requires as much luck as skill, particularly if you are throwing downfield as much as he does. He'll average out, if not this year, then next. See also: Brady's 4-INT season, which was a massive outlier.

For what it's worth, Romo's career INT rate is 2.7%, which is decent--Here are some comparisons:
Rodgers - 1.6% (!)
Brady - 1.7%
Wilson - 1.8%
Brees - 2.5%
Rivers - 2.6%
Roethlisberger - 2.7%
Peyton Manning - 2.7%
Eli Manning - 3.2%
Favre - 4.2%

That's above the NFL average over the last 3 years (2.4%), but that also takes his tumultuous early years into account--his INT rate has dropped over the last few years, to 2.3% over the last 3 years.

Sure, Prescott could be the next Wilson (and gently caress if sportswriters aren't all pining for the stories they can write there), but I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up more on the "pretty good" side of the spectrum, and I'll be perfectly happy if he does the trick Romo has done and hovered around the top 5/in the 6-10 range for most of his career.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

:lol: if you think our bandwagon was watching football in the 90s.

I'll take the Pats bandwagon over the Seahawks. They at least have an actual dynasty to be lovely about and don't call themselves the best fans in the league

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

Twitter tailors a lot of your trends to you :ssh:

No man Hillary totally invented #AIDS

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

Ah, well in that case: the NFC West, the only division that will lose multiple games to the Los Angeles Rams in 2017.

ftfy

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Bad night to be the only team in the NFC East to lose a game

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

Thanksgiving is the most important Redskins-Cowboys game since ______ ? 2012, I guess, but this feels more important since both teams appear to be really good right now

It's definitely more important to one of those teams

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

You have a strange definition of strange definition. I p.sure the Eagles will be favored in all of those games except the Ravens, assuming Dallas has nothing to play for in the last game of the season.

So, if the Eagles win the remaining games in which they are favored they finish the last 6 games with a 5-1 record. I'd call that a favorable schedule.

The Eagles will probably be underdogs to Washington, the Giants, and the Cowboys, the last of which they'll be underdogs to because they'll have been eliminated from playoff contention before the game starts

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

So much jealousy in this thread, feels good to be the best.

:agreed:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cash Monet posted:

They'll lose to Dallas but they'll beat Arizona or Carolina.

Washington is more than good enough to beat both Arizona and Carolina. Much as I hate to admit it, Cousins is clearly the guy we saw at the end of last season and not the 2-INTS-per-game guy we saw in prior years.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
10 AND loving 1

EAT IT LOSERS

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

Dak is good but he can literally just sit there behind that line and throw the ball

Cowboys oline is so good and they dont even seem to get hurt

Thats Some bullshit.

La'el Collins has been out since the start of the season, it's just that Leary is better right now

Smith also missed a game or two in there but no one noticed

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The Giants are really dangerous right now. I thought it would take another year for their defense to get good but they've improved a lot and even though I think they're still wildly unbalanced they're almost a lock to make the playoffs at this point, and I suspect the worst-case for them is 10-6 right now.

What I'm saying is I want them to lose to the Seahawks in the playoffs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I was hoping Dallas' defense would hold up better than Green Bay's but injuries really took a toll on us. Cousins was able to abuse Brown all game, and he never got any of the safety help he needed. Washington got some favorable non-calls on defense early on but we were clearly outclassed in the "our-defense-vs-their-offense" matchup. I was surprised Reed was able to tough it out and come back in--that made a huge difference for Washington late in the game.

Good game to watch, though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

straight up brolic posted:

The Vikings are toast. Skins really just need to keep out the Eagles and the Bucs, which seems very doable.

The Vikings will likely lose to the Cowboys, but Washington may struggle against the Panthers and Giants. @Cardinals and @Eagles could be tough, and if they lose @Eagles they may suddenly be fighting the re-energized Eagles for a wildcard spot.

If I had to guess, here's how I'd predict the remaining games falling out:

Cowboys: 3-2 (win @Vikings, v Bucs, v Lions, likely loss @Giants, @Eagles, but could go anywhere from 2-3 to 5-0)
Giants: 3-3 (every game they play is close, but they'll probably beat the Browns and lose to the Steelers)
Washington: 2-3 (going to drop at least 2 games in @Cardinals, @Eagles, Giants, and Panthers)
Eagles: 4-2 (Hardest to predict. Easy schedule, but bad offense means they may not be able to take advantage. Not good enough to run the table, but will probably win v Packers, @Bengals, vs Cowboys, and one of @Ravens, v Washington, v Giants).

Final predictions:
Cowboys 13-3 (1-seed)
Giants 10-6 (wildcard)
Eagles 9-7 (wildcard)
Washington 8-7-1 (miss playoffs)

Ultimately I think Washington is a better team than Philly right now but Philly has the easier upcoming schedule. That said, Philly is a real tossup, since while their defense can keep them in any game, their offense is really bad and unable to put games away or come from behind. They're basically the anti-NFC East, I guess. I have no idea what to make of the Giants right now. Their offense is super unbalanced and I can't tell if their defense is any good, since they suddenly seem to be playing better, but that coincides with a 4-game stretch against the offenses of the Rams, Eagles, Bears, and Bengals, and will probably continue to look amazing against the Browns on Sunday. More likely they have a mediocre defense and are just as lopsided as Washington and the Cowboys.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

I see the Skins holding on to that 6th seed. I think they can win 3 of the last 5 (@Arizona, @Chicago, Giants who may be playing for nothing at that point), which would put them at 9-6-1.

If that happened and they were to win vs the NFN or NFCS division winner in the wildcard round, that would almost certainly set up a third Dallas-Washington game. :getin:

BTW Jordan Reed has a grade 3 AC joint tear, which is basically a separated shoulder. Amazing he played so well after that.

Yeah I could totally see that happening too. I think we're going to get 2 NFCE Wild Cards, and frankly no pair of of those teams making it would surprise me right now, even Eagles/Skins beating out 7-9 Giants.

Jordan Reed is a loving beast and between him and Jamison Crowder, I think Washington is well-set with young offensive talent for the next few years. I'm not 100% sold on Cousins against defenses that aren't terrible, but if they improve on offense again next year, it may not matter.

89 posted:

I'm not about this whole division love. But I'd be so down with 3 NFCE teams in the playoffs for the hilarity if our rise out of medicocrity.

And knocking the Cowboys AND Giants out of the playoffs in the playoffs would be The Best

I hate the other three teams in the division and want them to lose every game but discussion is more interesting when you step back and think objectively about the teams rather than just posting "we're going to win" every week.

e: Especially since you're wrong literally half the time :smug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

I agree with this whole sentiment 100%.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

axeil posted:

When can the Cowboys clinch anyway? Is just beating the Giants in 2 weeks and not giving up any ground before that enough?

Good thing it's not Princeton Election Football Consortium saying that then.

They virtually clinch a playoff berth with 11 wins, I think. Losing the division would require going 2-3 or worse over the next 5 games and the Giants going 5-0, or the Giants beating the Cowboys and both teams finishing 12-4. Both scenarios are possible, but neither is likely.

• Locked thread