Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

NattyBo posted:

I went ahead and grabbed some stats, no trying to co opt the thread but I'm infuriated at idiotic sports radio and want good outside perception.

Through Week 7:

Passing yards: 6th

Yards/G: 7th

Completion %: 14th

YPC: 15th

1st Down: Tied/6th

1st Down %: 21st

Longest play: 27th

Pass Plays of 20+ yds: 6th

Pass Plays of 40+ yds: Tied/12th

Passing TDs: 10th

Rush TDs: Tied/7th

INT: Tied/7th

Rating: 92.3/18th

2 4th quarter comebacks in 2016, and he also took the lead on the road in Detroit with 1:05 left to play.

You understand the redskins haven't had their bye week yet, right? Having an extra week over half the league makes his numbers look much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

How many times do you need bye weeks explained to you? Obviously, at least three.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

NFCE combined record: 18-10-1. 0.638 winning %.
AFCW combined record: 20-11-0. 0.645 winning%.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Cash Monet posted:

AFC North: Best division in football
-fools, preseason

I don't think anyone thought that. Everyone thought the AFCW would be the best division in football again (they are for the third year in a row).

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

It really should be redone with metropolitan area population rather than city population which would make the NFC East look huge-er.

They are double counting New York for the Giants and the Jets.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah, ideally the CowboysRedskins run DakCousins all this season, they fall apart in the playoffs, Romo leaveshe gets a massive extension, and then DakCousins gets exposed as being reliant on everyone around him to look decent.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Febreeze posted:

I don't play fantasy but I feel like one of the top WRs in the league feels pretty draftable

He said non-Cowboys. Dez is on the Cowboys.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Febreeze posted:

This is true for me too all you fuckers can burn

but we'll have the best campfire, because we are the best. Remember those AFCW fans who came in all proud of their own division over the NFCE

They won as many playoff games as we did, and had one less win in the division

AFCW vs NFCE going to be fun next year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

89 posted:

Eagles to target Pierre Garcon in free agency.

Watch Eagles sign both Garcon and DeSean and Kirk Cousins leaves for SF or something dumb. Lol Redskins.

Garcon to the Niners seems more likely. He has familiarity with Kyle's system, so I think they will make a push for him.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure.

Basically, when you pay a guy, that money counts against your salary cap, though it may not all count against the cap in the same year. Once you've paid someone, that money has to come out of your cap no matter what, so even if they get cut or traded, the amount you paid them still counts against your cap, and is what we call DEAD MONEY. There are two ways this commonly happens:

1. Guaranteed bonuses/money. If you guaranteed someone money through a roster bonus or work-out bonus, and then they were on the roster or worked out and received that bonus, that money counts against your cap even if they get released, becoming DEAD MONEY.

2. Signing bonuses. The most common form of DEAD MONEY. When a player receives a signing bonus, they're paid immediately, but the cap hit of that money is spread evenly over the first 5 years of the contract (or however many years, if fewer than 5). So if you sign a $20M deal with a $2M salary over 5 years and a $10M signing bonus, you'd get $2M in base salary each year, but your cap number would be $4M each year, or $2M in base salary + $2M in prorated cap hit. If the team cut or traded you before the end of the contract, say after year 2, the remaining prorated signing bonus ($6M) would accelerate, becoming DEAD MONEY that counts against your cap that year. There are some exceptions here, and the timing on the cut matters--after June 1st, you only take the hit for this year, and the remaining prorated money accelerates to next year's cap, which is why dudes are sometimes designated as "June 1 cuts."

DEAD MONEY counts against your salary cap, and essentially blocks you from using the full cap to pay dudes.

If the player signs/traded with another team, then their guarenteed money from roster/baser/work-out bonuses isn't dead money, it's absorbed by the new team (depending on timing, offset, etc. if you want to go into details).

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

I feel like that's dishonest when we're talking about trash-talk comparisons of two QBs that have yet to lead their team to a division win

Redskins won the division two years ago with Kirk.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ha, it's not like there are lots of ways to measure Center quality floating around

But hey I hope y'all make the trade

1. Mack
2. Hudson
3. Frederick
4. All the other Centers

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't blame him. Barring a career ending injury he has all the reason to let this play out on the open market. Washington can still tag him and match any offer that's provided, or they can part ways and Cousins becomes the face of whoever wins in a bidding war between LA and SF.

I think they transition tag him for $29m and take the picks if someone else tries to sign him.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The transition tag doesn't include compensation. Either he gets paid that $29M, or someone else provides an offer that Washington has to match. If Kirk leaves Washington gets nothing.

You're right. I was thinking of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

blue squares posted:

Thank you for finally understanding that Eagleschat is not appropriate in the thread about the best division in football

Wait, I thought this was the NFC East thread?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Nice tackling form.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Washington is dogshit in prime time, which makes the SNF game against Oakland even more of a fluke. One of two things will happen on Monday. Either the team will continue their majestic trajectory upward, peaking right around the Wild Card game before crashing hard, or they'll remember they're based in Washington and poo poo the bed in front of everyone before spending the rest of the season being a milquetoast joke. I'm not sure which is more likely to happen, but it will be whatever generates the most schadenfreude.

It's more than that. Washington is one of the most transient cities in America. You have people from all over the country spending time here as staffers, federal employees, visitors, and whatnot and all of them bring their preferences from home. It's also one of the least accessible stadiums I have ever seen, with a literally mile long walk required if you take Metro and horrible parking that takes hours to escape from. Combined with the fact that it's dirty, old, and overpriced there is little reason for a fan to go unless they've had season tickets since the 70s or whatever.

Please refer the walk from the metro to FedEx as a Death March going forward, tia.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

axeil posted:

Sadly now RFK is falling apart and the one time I went there for a DC United game I could've sworn it was haunted by literal ghosts. The whole place was spooky.

Last game there is 10/22/17! RFK owns, the buzzard point stadium isn't going to have nearly the same feel.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

axeil posted:

Whoa, it's this month? I didn't realize the new United stadium was going to be up that quickly. I'll miss it. We got to do some on the field stuff there at halftime for the Washington Area Frisbee Club and it was really neat.

They've been building it for three years!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Eagles have still only played one good team and they lost to them. They've had a pretty easy schedule so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Can only beat the teams put in front of you :shrug:

TheChirurgeon posted:

It doesn't figure to get much more difficult. The only tough games they have left on the schedule are @Seattle, @LA Rams, and games against the Raiders and Cowboys where they're liable to put up 50 points. Good problem to have, and it doesn't exactly make them a bad team--good teams don't win close games, they blow out bad teams. If I were going to take the "they aren't as good as they look" route (I think the Eagles are pretty good this year), I'd focus more on how they played very close games against the Giants, Panthers, and Chargers, and are 3-1 in one-score games so far, and that those opponents weren't particularly fearsome.

But then, the whole league doesn't look great this year so just being a good team on both sides of the ball seems like it'll be more than enough to win in the playoffs.

I'm not saying the Eagles are bad, but they may struggle when they have to play better competition in the playoffs.

• Locked thread