Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

sup guys what's going on in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

That video is also good to show how badly our RT sucks, because if Sproles doesn't pick up that block Wentz gets obliterated.

Kerrigan just took a really wide angle, your RT didn't do anything wrong at all. If Kerrigan continued on that angle he'd be 10 yards deep and any decent QB would step up to avoid the pressure.

If that's what you think bad tackle play is you should avoid watching any Giant/Seahawk/Colt games for your own health

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Doltos posted:

Because they're top 5 rated in football outsiders and have had pretty good games up until the Packers game. They're also in the top half of the league in sacks, pressures, and hurries allowed. Like Eli gets hit a lot, but that's true of every QB in the league right now, and comparatively Eli gets hit much less.

Because Eli throws the ball into the dirt when he even faces a lick of pressure. FO's top notch offensive line pass blocking grading is based off of sacks/dropbacks. That's it. It's loving terrible.

Eli has always been good at avoiding sacks while there are other QB's like Rodgers or Ben who make their lines look worse in such grading systems because they hold the ball forever. Like febreeze said, there are times nowadays where Eli loses faith in his line and plays shaken like he was against Minn/GB. The bounceback against a solid Baltimore defense is encouraging. But in those 2 primetime games if you think Ereck Flowers or Bobby Hart were phenomenal because they had solid FO/PFF grades then I don't know what to say. They're horrible. Flowers at least has the physical talent to mature if he ever puts effort in to learning some proper technique but thus far he hasn't shown the willingness to do so.

Like in the FO stat they say the Giants have the 4th best pass blocking OL and Green Bay is 11th. Those two lines don't deserve to take the same field together and yet the Giants are better?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

imagine if the primetime game right now was an NFC East matchup instead of this shitfest

imagine how much fun we, and by extension the rest of the world, would be having

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

To steal a phrase from baseball regarding pitchers, it's about accuracy within the strike zone. Pitcher A and Pitcher B could both throw 80 out of 100 pitches for strikes, but Pitcher A might be much much more successful because he's able to pick the corners all day while Pitcher B throws 40 hanging curves down the middle.

It's an issue that I've seen guys like Sam Bradford have. They generally don't have terrible overthrows. He'll be in the ballpark of his receiver almost every throw, it's just that a ton of his throws are off target enough to prevent any real YAC or easy walk in TD's in some spots. Eli has this problem on occasion as well during the phases when he doesn't trust his offensive line.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

to balance that post out with the low content post I wanted to make -

it's October 30th 2016, and the NFC East remains the best division in football

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

It's the same deal as always for the Giants against the Eagles, it'll come down to how their OL plays. The Eagles defense for the past few years has been good to very good against the pass and mediocre to very bad against the run. Teams with NFL caliber offensive lines can slow the Eagles' pass rush considerably by running between the B gaps against them and at least putting the idea of the run in the back of their very good DL's heads. The Giants can't run on anyone and haven't been able to in over 5 years. The Saints completely shut down their shotgun inside trap runs with 6 in the box. The Saints.

So the Giants' complete inability to take advantage of the Eagles' defensive weaknesses allows them to just tee off on Eli all game. The Giants OL has been amongst the worst in the league week in and week out for years, but they seem to save their most gutless performances for these Eagle games. They'll rush 4 and drop 7 with 2 very deep safeties all game and it'll be up to the Giant tight ends (not the recently benched Larry Donnell, progress) and random running backs to get open and force them to change that coverage. The Giants haven't been able to do that for years because they're really bad at both of those positions and so a very basic gameplan shuts them down. I'm hoping the bye week allowed the Giants to have some serious self scouting and change personnel and playcalling up quite a bit but I doubt they've been able to change too much.

On defense the Giants matchup well if they can get all 3 of their starting corners in the game. I don't know how healthy they are out of the bye but if Jenkins/DRC/Apple all play moderately well then it mostly comes down to preventing big plays and making the Eagles' have long drives down the field. Oh and please don't give up any special teams' touchdowns.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Uh, are you sure you didn't reverse this?

yeah

this year, the Eagles' defense -

Passing - 9th in yards per attempt against, 3rd in sacks, 5th in quarterback rating against
Rushing - 27th in yards per carry against

last year

Passing - 11th in yards per attempt against, 17th in sacks, 18th in quarterback rating against
Rushing - 28th in yards per carry against

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

big pass plays stand out more in general than just being ground up at a demoralizing 5 yards per carry

The other NFC East teams do well against the eagles because they can run well enough (cowboys obviously very well) to at least get guys like Cox/Barwin/Graham a little off balance. So it allows them to get some semblance of a passing game going. Defensive coordinators also tend to overcompensate to stop running games by bringing extra men into the box and giving more one on one matchups. You probably won't see any of that against the Giants today

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles are 0-2 against the division.

They are going to be 4-2 :smug:

I think they can beat the Giants anywhere, and home field advantage will be enough to make the difference in the rematches against the Redskins and Cowboys.

3-3 is still a decent division record but it's quite difficult to attain after getting the three losses out of the way immediately

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

The last place team in the NFC East is 4-1 outside the division.

The NFC East is the best division in football.

see, now this is a hot take that I can completely get behind

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Whole lot of people itt forgetting about the team who actually beat the Cowboys, shut down zeke, and had dak playing like a rookie because he didn't have the best run game in the NFL for one day

I am of course talking about the browns

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The Great QB Battles For The Next Decade(tm), as declared by major media publications

Dak vs. Wentz

Wilson vs. Kaepernick

RG3 vs. Luck

Romo vs. Foles

Cutler vs. Rivers

Young vs. Leinart or anyone else at all

not to say that Dak or Wentz can't go on to have nice careers after 9 quality games, but hyperbole tends to run wild in sports fandom.

I truly believe there are 25 NFL QB's today who could have close to or exceed the level of success Dak has had in the same situation. At the same time, dude has played very very well and done what he's been asked to. His biggest knock coming out of college was his pocket presence and decision making under pressure. Perhaps starting 9 games where he faces no pressure at all behind the best line in football will help him grow past those weaknesses into a great player. Perhaps those issues still exist and are just waiting to be exposed. That's why they play the games I guess!

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah I seriously doubt anyone ever put Foles in a list of great QB anythings.

Romo vs. Foles dominating the NFC east for years articles were linked to me constantly that offseason by Eagles fans, trust me, they existed and they were ridiculous

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

the nfc east is still the only division without a team under .500

therefore, the nfc east remains the best division in the NFL

Although the Eagle taint on it is starting to seep through the beautiful Eli fathead which is the division crest

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

He was saying the giants needed to play a real team like Dallas

You know, the team they beat in their home stadium week one

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Febreeze posted:

"This is the best team ever, we'll win the division and beat everyone in our way!"

Goes into Seattle, loses

"It was just a tough game in a tough place to win, we'll still win out!"

Goes home, loses to packers

"It was just an off day! We're still alive! We're still alive!"

just re-read the first few pages of this thread to get the best flashback quotes, filled with Eagles' fans making GBS threads on Eli and the Giants when in fact they were the hidden shame of this division all along.

Hang your heads in shame and know your place you sub .500 plebs

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

thanks for quoting that post, but I'm sure people will continue to say the 9-4 Giants suck and don't deserve to make the playoffs citing some other bullshit.

They have flaws but so does every other team in the league. Even Dallas. That flaw mainly being that they can't beat the Giants.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Giants will deserve to make the playoffs if they actually make the playoffs. "Deserve" has got nothing to do with it.

All this game showed was that neither of these teams is very good

ahh the old "my team lost an ugly game, so both teams automatically suck" argument is one of my favorites and was used extensively during the Giants' 07 and 11 runs as well. It's an oldy but definitely a goody.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Week 1, Giants win 20-19

"Dak was a rookie in his first start, the Giants are peepee doodoo, he'll crush them the second time around because the Cowboys have come into their own now"

Week 14, Giants win 10-7

:chanpop: :chanpop:

"both teams suck :bahgawd: "

My only regret is that Dak has been exposed too early, giving the Cowboys a chance to remove the rookie from the best situation for a quarterback in the league and raises the possibility of going back to Romo before the desperation drive he would've come into when they were down by 17 in the 4th quarter of the divisional round to the Giants

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I kinda hope Dak gets back on track next week against the Bucs to silence the criticism he'll undoubtedly face this week

The Giants aren't catching the Cowboys barring a miracle and them knocking Tampa off gives the Giants some wiggle room going into a very tough 3 game stretch to finish the season

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Doltos posted:

So instead I just look at the athlete and say that Gurley is a really loving good athlete and Ereck Flowers is a big fat turd

Do you still believe that the giants are a top 5 pass blocking offensive line because football outsiders garbage metrics say they are or do you finally accept that the only reason eli doesn't lead the league in sacks is because he spikes the ball immediately upon being pressured most of the time

That is, on plays when he can sense pressure and not on ones where the first contact ereck flowers makes with a down lineman is to push said lineman into elis back

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Will beatty to left tackle and Justin Pugh back to LG when healthy please.

If will beatty is so bad now that he can't crack the left tackle spot on merit, move Justin Pugh back to lt and play Newhouse or anyone else including me at LG. The line still wouldn't be good but Pugh has been serviceable at lt before.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

If the talkiegate punishment is a 4 game suspension of Ereck Flowers, forcing the Giants to abandon their stubborn insistance that he must be their LT, then so be it. We accept our role in this incident and the harsh but fair judgement of Herr Goodell

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Why do the Skins have 17 home games in that stretch while the Giants only got 8 and the Cowboys of all teams only got 12

I guess people really like watching the Redskins suffer

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The game isn't over, the Giants' offense is strictly playing to end it as quickly as possible

With Paul Perkins in the game, the Skins have no chance of stopping them

But the Giants are throwing the Skins a Rashad Jennings-sized bone and giving him just as many snaps, including almost every red zone snap where drives predictably die with him in the game

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

"mills island" :pram:

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I remember arguing with doltos about how poo poo football outsiders' pass blocking metrics were last season, possibly in this very thread, because their methods are so poo poo that they said the giants had a better offensive line than the packers.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I just looked at it right now and the giants finished the year with the second best pass blocking offensive line according to fo. The giants. Second best pass blocking line in football.

As someone who rails against pff constantly on this site, this one metric may be so bad and inaccurate that it lowers football outsiders to be even worse than them.

Please do not cite football outsiders stats.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

FO has its problems but Iodised was wrong in his criticism. Football Outsiders ranked them #2 in sack rate, which even if you take out their weeabo adjustments isn't wildly different from just looking at the actual sack rate--sacks/pass attempts.

The problem is that just looking at sacks isn't actually a good way to gauge an offensive line's ability*--Most sacks are the QB's fault and Eli is pretty good at avoiding a sack.

I agree with what you point out in this post and it was the main point I was trying to make in my criticism of FO here. Sack rate is a garbage stat and heavily influenced by the quarterback behind the line and judging an OL entirely based off of its sack rate is really simplistic. You would hope a site that wants to be seen as having advanced stats would be able to cook up something more complex than what basically boils down to "sacks/dropbacks."

It's also why the Giants come out way ahead of the Packers in pass blocking according to FO which is what I mentioned in my post - Eli gets the ball out of his hands incredibly quickly, for better or worse, and even in many of those scenarios he's pressured. But there's nothing in FO's calculations that takes this into account. Only if he actually gets sacked does it matter. PFF does a slightly better job at accounting for this but they're still pretty flawed there too.

Contrast that to the Packers, who give Rodgers so much time that he occasionally runs in circles in the pocket waiting for someone to come open. But he does take more sacks doing this so FO comes to the conclusion that Giants OL > Packers OL. Reality is a lot more complex than that and I would hope that a stat like this is one thing that they're focusing hard on improving upon.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Also, by my own metrics that I refuse to share, the Giants' offense is better than the Eagles

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah there are instances of steel honing steel matchups in training camp that are battles of elites at their position in the NFL. Like odell Beckham vs janoris Jenkins. If someone dominates that then it's impressive.

But then across the field you have ereck flowers vs Kerry Wynn. Wet diaper gently being smushed against another wet diaper.

I feel pretty strongly about Nelson agholor vs any eagle Db being firmly in the latter camp.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

As a fan of a team in the nfc east that isn't the Eagles, I'd just like to thank eagles fans for allowing us to read this thread

And hell, thank you eagles fans for allowing our nfl teams to play in your division as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Wait we have non-eagles fans itt now who have bought into enough offseason champ propaganda that they actually think the Eagles will win the division

I thought we were just humoring them so we could quote their posts in December and look back fondly on their "Nelson agholor in the best shape of his life" optimism

• Locked thread