Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

I doubt Washington's domination of the Eagles' rookie 5th round draft pick RT in his first start will be predictive of their play against other teams.

The Skins have won 4 in a row, literally nothing they can do will make people believe they can play good ball, but w/e

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

OxySnake posted:

Pretty sure you need to have the best team to qualify for the best division.

The Cowboys have 1 less win than the Vikings :shrug:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Cash Monet posted:

Their wins have come against Cleveland, Baltimore and New York (who've been off to a rough starts) and Philly who's starting a rookie who had a rough game. Even if they beat Detroit it just means they're a team that's over achieving. Their defense is at the back end of the league and will continue to get lit up by better offenses.

Other than Cleveland every team we've beaten had a winning record at the time :confused:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

ego symphonic posted:

They have been very bad for a very long time so even just beating the teams that they're "supposed to" is an extremely positive development for this stupid franchise.

They weren't supposed to win 3 out of these 4 games. They were underdogs by at least 2 points against NYG, BAL, PHY. So again I think it's a bit revisionist to say oh they haven't beaten anyone, or that they were expected to win these games. If they win in Detroit they will have done so against the Vegas odds again. Detroit is current -1 to -2 depending on the book you trust.

Again - all 3 of those teams were above .500 when the Redskins beat them, and the Redskins covered a -9 spread against Cleveland, the only game they were "supposed" to win.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 19, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

blue squares posted:

I don't think pointing to a team being above .500 at the time is a good argument. If they are no longer above .500, that just shows that the team was overrated and the win isn't as impressive

The Eagles are still above .500 and NYG and BAL are .500 and would be above .500 if they had not lost to Washington.

Washington is 11-5 in their last 16 games dating to 2015. Cousins has thrown 32TD to 6 INT and rushed for 5Td in that period as well. The defense hasn't allowed a touchdown in the last 7 quarters, and 1 TD in the last 8. The offense has gone 3 and out only 6 times in 64 possessions, good for first in the NFL. They also lead the league in lowest percentage of drives ending in punt, at 28.1%.

I'm not saying the Redskins are world beaters but it sure seems like the outside perception of the team doesn't match current reality.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 19, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Vaitai reminds me of the guys the Redskins had circa mid 2000s. JAG who has no business starting thrust into starting position. Like Stephon Heyer, could be a tough 9 more weeks for Wentz if he continues to look like a turnstile. Kerrigan abused him, and he will face more players of that caliber. But what other options do the Eagles have at that position?

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 19, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

The original plan was to move Barbre from LG to RT and move Wisniewski to LG. Wisniewski may not be great, but he started for 5 years for the Raiders and Jaguars. Same with Barbre. He may not be great but he's a 9 year vet who has started games.

They also have Matt Tobin who is a 4 year vet and has been occasionally taking snaps this year at TE in 3 tight end formations and on obvious running downs.

Tough situation. Well, the Skins drafted Morgan Moses in a mid/late round, and he looked awful in spot duty his rookie year (remember him not moving at all post snap during a Monday night game during the RG3 era?), but he has really blossomed into an above average RT.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

seiferguy posted:

It created tribalism, and the mods wanted general info to go into the main thread. That was when Gendo was around, though.

Personally I liked having the division threads because the regular N/V thread moves way too fast, but I get the sentiment.

Football is inherently tribal and getting rid of the division threads led to a lot of people not posting. The N/V threads are endless Ravens or Pats circlejerks, with occasional other team discussion sprinkled in. I don't really care what's happening in the AFC West 3 out of 4 years, but I do like nuanced discussion about what's going on with my team and the other NFCE teams.

I hope we can get this thread to continue on a don't ask don't tell basis. God's own division shouldn't have to mingle with the hoi poloi

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 19, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

AvesPKS posted:

One of the biggest differences I've seen this year regarding the Skins is they have quality depth. It's allowed them to continue to play well in the face of significant losses to injury, like both starting safeties, a cornerback, d lineman, and center. Which I know is a normal thing that normal teams do, but it's a step up for the Skins who haven't typically carried a lot of good depth in recent years.

The Skins have been doing a lot of things right pre snap formation and cadence wise and have been getting some good penalties off the snap. Cousins seems focused and the offense all seems to be on the same page despite changing centers.

Totally agree on the depth. Very refreshing. Also, our offensive line has gone from below average to above average. Trent Williams and Scherff are absolutely mauling people, Moses and Luovao are performing well, and Long has been a huge upgrade at center and is young to boot. And again, there is depth enough to at least make things work in spot duty or a game or 2.

In regards to pre snap you are totally right. During film review several bloggers pointed out that Cousins cadence was disguised this week. In addition there was an excellent film break down on the Washington Post about a play that the Redskins torched the Eagles on a few times last year. This year the team designed a play with the same look but ran something totally different. Really good play design and execution. It's nice not to always be the ones being fooled.

quote:

I think Cousins has been executing the short/intermediate passing game very well, and I guess my only complaint is the lack of the long ball.
He seems to be improving each game towards how he was in the second half of last season and would have had a long TD pass if DJax hadn't dropped an absolute dime in the end zone.

quote:

Kicking has also improved from years past. That's been a big help, not leaving points on the field. It always cracks me up that I think at least 3 former Redskins kickers start for other teams.

This. So much this. He's only missed 2 kicks this year IIRC - XP and a 58 yarded both in tropical storm winds in Baltimore. Plus, even though Forbath was fairly consistent at kicking FGs, Hopkins can actually get the ball through the end zone, which is huge for our special teams coverage. And let's not forget MVP Tress Way who is the best punter ever.

quote:

Ultimately, though, I'm not sure how the rest of the season is going to go. I haven't really seen them demonstrate the ability to run the ball when they need to, and I need to see more from the defense in stopping the run and not missing tackles.

In the 4 wins this season our run pass ratio is much better. We need to keep pounding the ball with all 3 backs even if it's not working at first. In regards to the defense, the tackling has gotten better, but I agree. Need consistency.

I'd also like to see if we can keep the pass rush up. Trent Murphy coming into his own has been a huge surprise and it goes to show that you really do have to be patient and let players develop sometimes, which has not been a strength of the Snyder era Redskins. Cravens and Fuller are both playing very well as rookies on that side of the ball and look to be good pieces for years to come, too. I haven't been genuinely optimistic about this team like this in a long time.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 20, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

blue squares posted:

I don't get what happened to Alfred Morris. As a rookie he was tearing it up. Then he disappeared and is now the backup on the Cowboys, getting five or so carries a game.

He thrived when we had a QB running read option and the defense had to hesitate. Also, Gruden doesn't run much outside zone stuff, which is what Shanahan basically patented. Morris is a hard runner and a spectacular human being, but he never had particularly good vision or speed. He was tough and durable as hell, though.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 20, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Just read that the Redskins defense has not allowed a 2nd half TD since Week 2 :stare:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Doltos posted:

All three actively employ wife beaters and so even under public pressure.

I mean the Maras are old school families but I didn't think they were that old school

Wait who on the Skins is a wife beater?

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Metapod posted:

Junior Galette

Huh, was not aware of that.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

blue squares posted:

Philly and Washington please lose badly, thanks

No dont

(well ok, Philly can lose)

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Iodised QQ posted:

imagine if the primetime game right now was an NFC East matchup instead of this shitfest

imagine how much fun we, and by extension the rest of the world, would be having

Yeah man, and yet people bitch

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Man, I am really worried about Trent Williams injury. We have the depth to play a game or 2 without him, but his knee looked bad. Hell it was clearly bothering him most of the game before he went down, never seen him give up so many pressures

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

pro starcraft loser posted:

We've replaced Matt Jones with a burlap sack full of flour. Let's see if anyone notices.

But really, get better Norman and Williams.

No structural damage in Trent Williams knee! Whew!

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
After further reflection, I think I'm ready to see Matt Jones take a nice long ride on the bench. He looks good but he also averages a fumble every 31 carries, which is just unacceptable. Kelly looks just as capable of a runner and so far has displayed much more ball security. Jones fumbles yesterday were just plain bad. And he just keeps doing it. I was willing to write it off as a rookie problem last year, but it's costing us games and he doesn't seem to be improving. Some guys just can't help fumbling constantly, seems like he could be one of those guys.

I also don't know how JAG Ryan Grant maintains a roster spot. He's an ok blocker and is apparently a great route runner in practice, but every time the real bullets fly, he has a huge screwup. Dropped easy 3rd down last week, led a defender into Vernon Davis by running the wrong route yesterday which nearly caused a pick, slipping in overtime in Atlanta last year which caused the walk off pick 6....I'm done with him.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Febreeze posted:

like he could father or satisfy anyone with a tallilicker that small

Maybe he's a grower not a shower

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Im honestly flabbergasted that there are Redskins fans who still don't want to hold on to Cousins after this season. This fanbase is so broken and dumb. If we let him walk this team deserves every bad thing that happens to it.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I really see him as well above average but I think the national perception is different. I'm not ready to go back into the wilderness of putrid QBs. Cousins gives us a chance to win most of the games we play in, which is good enough.

I mean he's 6th in passing yards, 10th in passing TDs, can run when he needs to, 14th in completion % and 6th in completions of 20+ yards. The reality is you can't match that production with some free agent JAG, unless there's a can't miss rookie in the draft, which we won't be high enough to get anyway.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 25, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I went ahead and grabbed some stats, no trying to co opt the thread but I'm infuriated at idiotic sports radio and want good outside perception.

Through Week 7:

Passing yards: 6th

Yards/G: 7th

Completion %: 14th

YPC: 15th

1st Down: Tied/6th

1st Down %: 21st

Longest play: 27th

Pass Plays of 20+ yds: 6th

Pass Plays of 40+ yds: Tied/12th

Passing TDs: 10th

Rush TDs: Tied/7th

INT: Tied/7th

Rating: 92.3/18th

2 4th quarter comebacks in 2016, and he also took the lead on the road in Detroit with 1:05 left to play.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 25, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

MrLogan posted:

You understand the redskins haven't had their bye week yet, right? Having an extra week over half the league makes his numbers look much better.

Ok, but this is equal to or slightly less than his performance last year so far.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

We may see 3 NFCBeast team in the playoffs this year.

As much as I'd like to see this, I think the NFC North will take a wildcard spot along with the East. The Lions and Vikings look too good right now.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
By The Numbers: Why It's Time To Pay Kirk Cousins

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1721709-why-it-s-time-to-pay-kirk-cousins

quote:

Cousins nearly blows it again
Cousins never saw the defender
What was he looking at?
And my personal favorite, Cousins being Cousins

While this rhetoric is cute, if you look at the facts, it’s just false and the numbers prove my point. Since Cousins was named starting QB of the Washington Redskins in September of 2015, he has attempted 808 passes and has thrown 17 interceptions. That is an interception percentage of 2.1%, a lower percentage than Eli Manning (2.25), Matt Ryan (2.33), Cam Newton (2.37), Andrew Luck (2.81) and Ben Roethlisberger (3.17). Big Ben has thrown 5 more picks than Cousins in 6 fewer games!

While he has protected the ball, he is also doing more with it. He is 11th in the NFL with 39 TD passes. If you combine Cousins's passing and rushing touchdowns (45), he has five more total touchdowns than Russell Wilson (40). You may say “Yes but Russell Wilson wins”, but I’ll bet you would be surprised to know that Russell Wilson has only accounted for one more victory (14) than Kirk Cousins (13) since the start of last season. In fact, Cousins' 13 wins as a starter is seventh in the league and it’s the same number of wins as Joe Flacco and Philip Rivers...COMBINED.

Want more numbers? Here you go. Since he was named the starter, Kirk Cousins has the 6 th best QB Rating (98.5) in the league and is #1 in completion percentage (68.81) better than Drew Brees (68.33) and Matthew Stafford (67.47). If Cousins maintains his career completion percentage of 65.5% for another 285 pass attempts (to reach the minimum 1500 pass attempts to qualify), he will be 3rd ALL-TIME in completion percentage, tied with Kurt Warner and better than Peyton Manning (65.3). The argument to completion percentage is Cousins dinks and dunks his way to a high completion percentage...WRONG!

Since being named starter, Cousins’ yards per attempt is 7.63, which is 7th in the NFL That's .11 behind Drew Brees (7.74), and better then noted gunslingers Jay Cutler (7.62) and Rivers (7.52).

People that criticize Cousins must not watch the league. Teams all over the NFL have major QB problems. I can name 10 teams (Jets, Browns, Ravens, Texans, Jags, Titans, Broncos, Bears, Rams, Niners) that have face major quarterback questions and for the first time in over 20 years the Redskins aren’t one of those teams.

Finally. Hopefully the national perception starts to change. I think Kirk has gotten a pretty bad rap due to some struggles in primetime early in his career but the numbers don't lie.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 27, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Gynecolojustice posted:

the national perception? Who cares about that

It's just really annoying and any time he makes a mistake it's magnified like other QBs never do the same. Hell even around here some people hold him to blame for RG3, and can't get over the fact that he is occasionally going to turn the ball over.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

His numbers certainly look great when you exclude his first 3 seasons, or 40% of the games he's played in the NFL. That's Sam Bradford math.

Maybe cut the sample size smaller and just take his games against the Eagles and he'll sound like Tom Brady.

I mean, that leaves out room for growth. QBs do develop. He also wasn't a starter and in an absolutely toxic situation due to RG3 and ownership vs coaching staffs

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Cash Monet posted:

This is his 5th year in the league, what you see is what you get at this point.

It's only his second year as a full time starter. This is exactly what I was talking about. Also what we get is a guy on pace to break his own franchise records which he set last year. Lol

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Chichevache posted:

He can make every throw you could ask of him, which is something you can not say for Bortles or Osweiller.

Kyle Boller could throw a ball into the end zone on his knees from the 50, arm strength means nothing if you never learn to read a defense

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

blue squares posted:

Okay NattyBo. I think I have been unfairly harsh on Cousins. He has played fairly well. So here's what I'm gonna do: I'll watch the Bengals game with a completely open mind, no preconceptions. However Cousins does, I will base my opinion on that and never change my mind no matter what. If he plays a bad game this morning, he is trash forever. If he plays incredibly, he is in the GOAT conversation.

Seems fair enough :shrug:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Heh

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

MrLogan posted:

How many times do you need bye weeks explained to you? Obviously, at least three.

The only one close to him on the list that has already had a bye is Brees, ya jerk. Everyone else in the top 9 (which is where it drops below 2k yards, and #10 is Eli who is on bye this week) hasn't had a bye yet, but you keep sticking to your non-analysis and narrative. Even if Brees passes him while Washington is on bye this week, #2 is hardly something to sniff at.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Edit: The NFL site hadn't updated yet, Matt Ryan is now in the lead, Cousins second. Still pretty happy. If you take out OT passing yards today he's still right there with Brees at #3 (trying to find quarter by quarter stats is surprisingly hard!)

He's still only 46 yards short of being on pace for a 5,000 yard season, which is drat impressive, even if I know he isn't actually going to get close to 5K, I think he's almost certain to break the franchise records he set last year.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Febreeze posted:

Cousins is good but seeing Nattybo jump all over to prove how good he is makes me want to keep discounting him as poop

Says the guy who has had a Manning (granted, the just ok one, but still) at QB for a decade).

Good QBs for my team in my lifetime are:

1 season of Mark Rypien, 1 season of Brad Johnson.

That's it, that's the list.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Febreeze posted:

hey RG3 was cool for a season

True, true, but the end of that season was so tragic I kind of blocked it out.

Same with the Brad Johnson season, actually. I cried after the bad field goal snap at Tampa Bay that would have taken us to the NFCCG - and I was like, 15. Then the center, Dan Turk, who hosed it up, died like less than a year later so I couldn't even hold on to my irrational hate.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

blue squares posted:

Rex Grossman

but yeah Romo has played for my entire NFL fandom, so I don't know what it's like to not have a good QB. I'm happy for you that you're happy and excited

Thanks man. :3:

I just hope the team does the right thing and signs him for a few years this offseason. I've said it before, I'm just not willing to go back into the QB wilderness. I want some stability around a guy who can do enough good things to win us some games, put some good players with him and see what happens.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I think in I need to stop listening to sports talk radio lest I get pushed over the edge of insanity

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow - no living and dying with every down, just rooting against the rest of y'all (or, a tie in one of the games, I guess? ) and enjoying the Red Zone channel. Bye week came at a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
If the season ended today 3 NFCE teams would be in the playoffs

End the season today IMO

• Locked thread