Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
One of the biggest differences I've seen this year regarding the Skins is they have quality depth. It's allowed them to continue to play well in the face of significant losses to injury, like both starting safeties, a cornerback, d lineman, and center. Which I know is a normal thing that normal teams do, but it's a step up for the Skins who haven't typically carried a lot of good depth in recent years.

The Skins have been doing a lot of things right pre snap formation and cadence wise and have been getting some good penalties off the snap. Cousins seems focused and the offense all seems to be on the same page despite changing centers.

I think Cousins has been executing the short/intermediate passing game very well, and I guess my only complaint is the lack of the long ball.

Kicking has also improved from years past. That's been a big help, not leaving points on the field. It always cracks me up that I think at least 3 former Redskins kickers start for other teams.

Ultimately, though, I'm not sure how the rest of the season is going to go. I haven't really seen them demonstrate the ability to run the ball when they need to, and I need to see more from the defense in stopping the run and not missing tackles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

blue squares posted:

I don't get what happened to Alfred Morris. As a rookie he was tearing it up. Then he disappeared and is now the backup on the Cowboys, getting five or so carries a game.

Well, his rookie year was also RG3's rookie year, and yeah the Redskins could definitely run the ball in 2012. His production dropped off every year after that, he's 27 and a physical runner, I'd compare him at least from a longevity standpoint to Marion Barber, so I think the team just figured he wasn't worth keeping around long term. It was a shame to see him go, but he was to me another patch on a lacking RB squad that has never really gotten back to a Portis/Betts/Cartwright level since Portis left.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

NattyBo posted:

In regards to pre snap you are totally right. During film review several bloggers pointed out that Cousins cadence was disguised this week. In addition there was an excellent film break down on the Washington Post about a play that the Redskins torched the Eagles on a few times last year. This year the team designed a play with the same look but ran something totally different. Really good play design and execution. It's nice not to always be the ones being fooled.

He seems to be improving each game towards how he was in the second half of last season and would have had a long TD pass if DJax hadn't dropped an absolute dime in the end zone.

Pre snap and cadence gave really made me sit up and take notice this year. Being calm, cool, and collected, and making other teams make mistakes from that at the line of scrimmage, has been something I've been wanting the Redskins to demonstrate for years. It's just a good indicator of a disciplined, well run offense where everyone is on the same page. Let's hope they can keep it up on the road.

I agree, Cousins continues to improve toward last season's form, I just wish he could've been there out of the gate. His poise during the first game of this year and the playoff game last year against the Packers wasn't the greatest. But right now I see confidence, and I'll take that.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

NattyBo posted:

Not to interrupt Dan vs Wentz chat, but can we talk about how bullshit the Redskins schedule is?

This weekend we play on SNF before having a game Thursday midday. So basically a 2.5-3 day turnaround. Fine whatever I guess it's only 8 hours less than Dallas gets plus travel time too.

The week before Christmas we play Carolina on MNF and then have a SATURDAY 1PM game @Chicago, so a 4 day turnaround Only team in the league with 2 short turnarounds in one season.

Thanks, Mara.

We got penalized for exceeding the salary cap in a year where there there was no salary cap. Of course they are against the Skins.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

I find it fun that both Romo took the Cowboys QB-broadcast booth career path same as Aikman and has now made Troy look like poo poo at both jobs.

Not that the average Cowboys fan will admit that because ringz, but whatever. I just hope that all players from the 90s Cowboys harbor deep, drowning doubt in their souls over every aspect of their lives from their career choices down to their breakfast cereal options.

Be fair now, Romo didn't have to take shots to the head from Lavar Arrington.

You think Michael Irvin remembers his breakfast five seconds after he eats it ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Tom Sellout posted:

Absolutely. I've been thinking this every time I watch Washington. I don't mind Linehan's play-calling save for some complaints here and there, but Callahan is a fantastic offensive line coach.

Jason Garrett is seemingly content with never ever pushing the ball down the field, and every year without noted aggressive passer Tony Romo makes it more blatant.

I don't know if Callahan's a former head coach or not but I think the Skins have something like 4 former HCs on staff right now. I want to see a coaching staff formed from all former HCs.

• Locked thread