Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ZenVulgarity posted:

Dak is Alex Smith

Dak is the late-career veteran version of Alex Smith, as a rookie.

Except that Alex Smith never sniffed averaging 8.2 yards per attempt, because at least Dak will throw past the marker on 3rd & long most of the time.

He's in a favorable situation for a rookie for sure - but so were all the Cowboys backups in 2015, and they were all incredibly awful at everything forever. He's not just being carried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Tony Romo is still in the league

Doubtful.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RG3 had everything to succeed except an ability to slide and any sense of self-preservation whatsoever. Nobody ate avoidable killshots like Bobby G Tres.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

RG3 has very little ability as a pocket passer so I'm not sure where you get "has everything"

I meant on paper, obviously he's a bust. Coming out of college he was a 6'2" fast strong far throwing guy who was supposed to be intelligent.

Though he might have developed better if he didn't keep dying so who knows? :rip:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This Dallas roster could lose a shootout vs. a really good offensive team, and I don't trust Garrett's game day decision making still, but otherwise their OL will just turn everyone into blood pudding at this rate. They are just ridiculous at times.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sickening posted:

Jason Garrett won't "LET" it happen? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jerry is gonna Jerry if he wants to, but he seems a lot more hands off now. It feels like it's been forever since the last big :siren: CRAZY JERRY JONES MOVE :siren: happened.

In his old age he's more happy to just chug Johnnie Walker Blue Label and let everyone else do the work apparently.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dak threw for more yards and touchdowns than Romo ever did in the postseason.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Washington botching the Cousins situation is so bizarre. Any halfway competent organization would have just signed him to a long term deal already. He's had 2 actually good seasons in a row, is under 30 and has been durable. You aren't going to get closer to a sure thing than that barring some kind of miracle.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It looks to me like Garrett is developing into something like Andy Reid, actually - a weak gameday coach who is a good team builder. Unfortunately his learning curve wasted the last good years of Romo's career.

Tony Romo's 2011 season featured some of the best QB play I've ever seen that was also completely futile. Over 4000 yards, 31 TD 10 INT, 100+ passer rating... and 8-8.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

the 2011 team was really weird. A combination of not having quite enough talent and just being outclassed by the Eagles and Giants. FO has us at 16th on defense and 12th on offense that year, which feels right, particularly for an 8-8 team. Comparatively, the Giants were 7th off/19th def and the Eagles were 8th off/11th def. And even with that, the season hinged on a dropped pass by a wide-open Miles Austin in week 17. But I don't look back and think that Cowboys team would have made the Super Bowl or anything.

Comparatively, 2013 for me is the "Rock Bottom" of "Romo plays out of his goddamn mind with absolutely nothing to show for it" because that's when our defense was so blisteringly, eye-wateringly terrible that no amount of points was ever going to be enough to secure a win for the Cowboys and the only chance we had of winning a given game was based on whether we had the ball last. Another 8-8 season where Romo passed for 3,954 yards with 33 TDs and 12 INTs, which included:
- A 51-48 loss to Denver during Peyton Manning's record-breaking season
- A 31-30 loss to the Lions where the Defense gave up an 80-yard TD drive to Matt Stafford in the last 50 seconds of the game
- A 45-28 loss to the Bears in which the Cowboys turned the ball over 0 times
- A 37-36 loss to the Packers where the Cowboys gave up a 26-3 lead at Halftime and a 36-24 lead with 7 minutes remaining
- A 30-21 loss to the Chargers where the Cowboys gave up a 4th-quarter lead
- A 49-17 loss to the Saints that saw the Cowboys down 35-17 at the start of the 4th quarter (another 0-turnover game)

That team was so bad on defense that nothing short of a 5,000-yard, 50 td/5 int season could have saved it.

Oooh yeah, that's an even better example. A fractionally less pretty stat line from Romo, but an utterly dire dumpster fire defense

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Giants fans never hated pre-rings derpy pick machine Eli as much as Eagles fans hated McNabb or Cowboys fans hated Romo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Febreeze posted:

He was garbage year 1 and for the most part we werent happy with him until 2007 and after that he could do no wrong.

If he hadnt won in 2007 im not sure how much longer he would have lasted, even if we made the Superbowl. His inconsistencies are very frustrating but kind of add to his charm when he's already reached the top twice.

I'm sure if he never won that Eli would have eventually been hated too, but Romo and McNabb were turned on by a large share of their teams' fanbases early on in a way that it seemed like didn't happen to Eli during his early, often fugly seasons. At least not to the same degree.

e:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure. McNabb got old and struggled on a poo poo team, so he was never a great QB. That makes sense.

You don't remember how TFF argued that McNabb would never, ever age? Hell, it reached the point where Philly fans had to stick up for the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the concept that time passes! :v:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 29, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Reid has personnel power in KC and it's worked out just fine, as I pointed out and you ignored. It's still bonkers that the downside of some bad clock management and sometimes questionable personnel decisions somehow outweighs the upside of being a strong competitive team for a decade but ymmv, I guess.

And yeah, while KC's clock management in that drive was abysmal, can we maybe admit that the Chiefs did not have the high-powered passing offense necessary to score two TDs against the Patriots in 6 minutes? Sometimes, teams lose because they're worse, and not just because of X mistake or Y decision.

Eh...the problem wasn't Alex Smith not throwing 50 yard bombs, the problem was that they huddled and burned the entire play clock every snap when trying to do a 2 minute drill. The Patriots won by 7 points, it wasn't some kind of crazy shootout. They might have lost with good clock management anyway, but the degree of self-sabotage on that drive was genuinely appalling.

The problem with firing a guy like Andy Reid out of spite is that you're way more likely to get a Chip Kelly than than you are to get a Bill Belichick.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 30, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Reid might be the second best coach of this era. Granted, the 1st best coach is light years ahead of him, but still. I can't think of anyone I'd wedge between him and Belichick.

The current iteration of Pete Carroll comes to mind (1990s version can gently caress right off though.) Coughlin has to make the list for beating Belichick twice. Cowher, maybe - he had a long run of being really good with weak QBs, and then capped it off with a Super Bowl win. John Harbaugh calls to mind too, just lit the kawalimus signal there I guess.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also Pete Carroll is only good because he told his team to cheat on the field all the time and the refs swallow their whistles instead of calling DPI on every play.

Not true!

You left out the PEDs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/19/six-seahawks-have-tested-positive-for-peds-since-2011/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Yall lost the most important thing in your bickering.... Tony Romo is going to die on the Cowboys bench and lol if you thought they ever would treat him with respect for his time with the team.

If they do that they have to pay him an insane sum of money just to sit around.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Romo was wasted on the Cowboys, if he left them for a real team before he got Boneitis he would have had an amazing career. Instead he spent his prime on rosters built by Jerry Jones's brain and Johnny Walker Blue Label.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

So I guess the NFC East is pretty much the AFC East now*

*The Eagles are the Patriots in this analogy

It's hard to trust this because of... all of football history... but this really is how it looks at the moment.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

Is that a sex thing?

It's garbage for babies, with less practical value than fantasy football points.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't want well researched nuance on Sunday please

Garrett is a fraud and Jerry Jones oversees a clownshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jerry Jones probably suggested it all to Zeke while drunk. Zeke just

Ran

With

It

:haw:

• Locked thread