Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Actually I'm not sure how that makes any sense at all considering Chicago is in the NFC North, but let's just pretend it's accurate.

edit: oh I was confusing NFC North and AFC North

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shyduck posted:

That's a good graph and I'm gonna use it for everything

It really should be redone with metropolitan area population rather than city population which would make the NFC East look huge-er.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

Do we give Dallas most of the rural areas in Texas? What about Oklahoma/Arkansas?

One would just use these numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

The numbers would be so drastically lopsided across the divisions that I doubt you'd feel the need to include all of Dallas' rural fans.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Shangri-Law School posted:

If we go by stadium location the Giants and Jets only have 9,000 fans while the Lions have almost 700,000. Such is clearly the fairest way to measure this.

Detroit is probably kind of hard to measure since it's population numbers are better tracked with a countdown timer.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
When Romo is ready to play, will that mean Kirk Cousins is no longer one of the top four QBs in the division?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Seriously. He was hilariously mis-used and wasted by the Eagles

Yeah but we stole him away from the Cowboys so it was worth it.

But then the Cowboys didn't have a running back so they drafted Ezekiel Elliott.

unintended consequences. :argh:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I don't think I can make a good argument that the Eagles are better than the Cowboys right now so I don't really want to talk about it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

Also, Chip got us Sproles. At one point, we were gonna have DeSean/Maclin/Shady/Sproles on the field at the same time.

Now, we just have Sproles and some college receivers.

Let me help you with the math here. It's a simple rule.

Acquisitions that worked = Howie decisions
Acquisitions that failed = Chip decisions.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah I seriously doubt anyone ever put Foles in a list of great QB anythings. He had some good games, but I think even his more ardent supporters like myself had his upside as "maybe this guy could be an ok starter".

I think Prescott is for real. I also think Wentz is better.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

The current Philly area sportsradio scuttlebutt is "would you rather have Wentz or Dak+Zeke?"

I don't really follow college football but I keep hearing there are like 12 Ezekiel Elliots coming out next year. I'm sure that's an unreasonable exaggeration, but it's supposed to be a running back rich draft.

I'll take Wentz. And I wouldn't want the Eagles to waste a #3 pick on a running back.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I personally don't like seeing defensive linemen and linebackers mix numbers. Lineman should wear 70s and 90s and linebackers should wear 50s and 60s.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

correll buckhalter lmfao

That's what I was thinking too. It's nothing against Buckhalter. He was a competent rotation RB. But he's just not the kind of guy you expect to hear brought up as someone's childhood hero who they seek to emulate.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
At the beginning of the year, 5-5 with 4 of the last 6 games at home, with 3 of them against divisional opponents, would have looked pretty good. It just looks kind of lovely now because the other NFC East teams are doing much better than anticipated.

But we have a franchise QB so it's all good.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

With every team at .500 or above, the NFC East is ready to shed Clownball status. Two of the most exciting rookie QBs are lighting it up in Dallas and Philadelphia. Discuss.

Thread purpose no longer valid.

Please close thread until all teams are once again above .500

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I remain convinced that the Eagles are the second best team in the NFC East and will win their three remaining division games. They will beat the Redskins and Giants because they are better, and they will beat the Cowboys because it's the last game of the season and Dallas will have probably already secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

corn on the cop posted:

you have a strange definition of favorable

You have a strange definition of strange definition. I p.sure the Eagles will be favored in all of those games except the Ravens, assuming Dallas has nothing to play for in the last game of the season.

So, if the Eagles win the remaining games in which they are favored they finish the last 6 games with a 5-1 record. I'd call that a favorable schedule.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Because the other NFCW teams suck. Also we just beat the pants off the Eagles, we've taken their place.

That sound reflecting stadium is a loving joke and it's so fitting that a cheating oval office like Pete Carroll coaches there.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NattyBo posted:

The Washington Football Redskins are going to defeat the Dallas Cowboys in a National Football League game tomorrow.

The Redskins are gonna get :gas:'d like a bunch of pipeline protesters.

This game is ripped from the headlines like a Law & Order episode.

edit: :doink:

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 23, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Redskins are going to lose 3 in a row.

This doesn't necessarily make me happy because I don't feel much animosity towards the Redskins. Eagles/Skins isn't really much of a rivalry. I guess it's because the two teams are rarely good at the same time.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Eh i guess it benefits the Eagles more for the Skins to lose so against all my natural instincts.

Go....Cowboys..... :suicide:

But if the Cowboys went on a little skid it could cause a QB controversy. That would be fun. They follow this up with two road games against teams with winning records so it could happen...

and really, what would probably benefit the Eagles most at this point would be better draft position/schedule for next season. Notice the Giants didn't have to play Seattle this year. They got the Rams because the Eagles won that meaningless game last year after Chip Kelly got fired.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 23, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

straight up brolic posted:

The Vikings are toast. Skins really just need to keep out the Eagles and the Bucs, which seems very doable.

If they can win the next two road games, they're pretty much in. Even if they don't, they are in a very good position as long as they beat the Eagles. They finish against the Panthers, Bears and Giants.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

quote:

Once upon a time there was a division in the NFL that was so good it was the envy of all others. It had a team in the nation's birthplace; a team in the nation's capitol; a team in the nation's largest media market; and, of course, it had America's Team.

For a long period of time, it was also rare that the league held a Super Bowl without one of those teams.

The NFC East truly was a beast.

That, of course, has not been the case for quite some time. Only two of the division's four teams - the Eagles and New York Giants - have been to the Super Bowl since the turn of the century, and even though the Giants have won two Super Bowls, those were victories born out of perfect timing rather than sheer dominance.

It was not like the late 1980s through the mid-1990s, when the NFC East won seven out of 10 Super Bowl titles, a string broken up only by the San Francisco 49ers' dynasty. Other divisions had some great teams. The NFC East had battles royal.

Even after some lean years, the division's 12 Super Bowl titles are still more than any other, as are the 20 title-game appearances in the 46 years since the AFL-NFL merger. It is the only division in which every team has made at least two Super Bowl appearances and the only one that has had at least three teams win multiple titles.

This comes up now because it appears the NFC East is in the midst of a rebirth that could remind us of that great era during the 1980s and '90s.

One year after being the only division in the NFC that had a losing record outside its division, the Eagles, Giants, Dallas Cowboys, and Washington Redskins have combined to go 21-6-1 against the rest of the NFL so far this season.

The NFC East has gone four years without putting a team in the Super Bowl, and it has never gone five. The Cowboys, 10-1 after their Thanksgiving win over Washington, are the best bet to end that string this season because they have come up with a 21st-century version of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin.

Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, and Dez Bryant are the best offensive trio in the game right now, and they are buoyed by a young offensive line filled with three first-round picks. As painful as it might be for fans of the other three teams in the division, the Cowboys appear to be built to last.

That does not mean the other teams in the division cannot contend with them in the coming years. Washington won the division last year, but skeptics remained because there were not a lot of believers in quarterback Kirk Cousins. There should be lots of Cousins believers now, and he's only 28 with a solid supporting cast of receivers and running backs.

At 7-3, the Giants might be the most surprising team in the division, but they spent their money wisely in the offseason to upgrade their defense and have a cast of dangerous young receivers. How good they remain into the future depends on how long and how well Eli Manning plays.

The Eagles, of course, are the only NFC East team that has not won the Super Bowl, unless you want to count the St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, who moved to the NFC West in 2002. It appears the Eagles also might be the odd team out of the playoffs this season, although they would certainly be in the thick of the race with a win Monday night against Green Bay.

Even if the Eagles fail to make the playoffs this season, they, too, appear to have a promising future with Carson Wentz at quarterback and the best defense in the division.

Of course that might all sound familiar. The Eagles had some terrific young quarterbacks and incredible defenses during the dominant years of the NFC East, but they could never figure out how to be the last team standing.

tl;dr: The NFC East used to be good and now its good again.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20161127_Brooky__NFC_East_is_dominant_once_again.html

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's a shame they didn't geographically re-align the Cowboys out of the division and replace them with the Patriots.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Iodised QQ posted:

just re-read the first few pages of this thread to get the best flashback quotes, filled with Eagles' fans making GBS threads on Eli and the Giants when in fact they were the hidden shame of this division all along.

Hang your heads in shame and know your place you sub .500 plebs

Sorry, it's hard for me to get disappointed. We have a QB.

current mood:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Dak is better than Romo. That's why he's starting and Romo is riding the pine.

So, Dak Prescott is the best quarterback in the history of Dallas Cowboys.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
"Hot hand" is bullshit. If the Dallas Cowboys thought Tony Romo was better than Dak Prescott he would be starting.

Sickening posted:

I think the ability to not shatter like glass from being tackled is a huge upside.

For the future, sure. But right now they would have Prescott backing up Romo so that argument doesn't really hold water when discussing who the Dallas Cowboys think is better quarterback right now.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 2, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

Reps matter. By benching dak you lose out on those game time reps and you risk him getting out of sync with the offense.

Romo is not the better option and :lol: at anyone who thinks he is.

There are four games left. There would be more than enough reps for Romo to get ready for the playoffs. If the Cowboys thought Romo was the better quarterback, they could start him the final four games and he'd be more than ready to go for a Super Bowl run.

Or, are we now saying that Romo is a better quarterback, but he's an injury risk, and even though they have Dak as a backup ready to go, the Cowboys would rather play their 2nd best quarterback than risk him being a little rusty in the event that their best quarteback gets hurt despite the fact that he's already played 12 games?

Yeah, I think I am going to apply Occam's razor instead and say that the Cowboys think Dak Prescott is a better quarterback than Tony Romo.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Y'all are out of your loving minds. Romo is a better passer than Dak, but the decision is only partly about "hot hand." The other piece you're willfully ignoring is that Dak is the future starter of the team, and so benefits tremendously from additional reps this season. On the flip side, Romo is only valuable as a trade commodity next year if he's healthy, and so starting him holds no tangible benefit now that the team has found his replacement.

So, a team has only won two playoff games in the last 20 years and currently finds itself at 11-1 is not going to start their best QB because they want to develop a guy for the future?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I really appreciate how many NFC East rivals are arguing for the infallibility of the Cowboys front office.

I am just having some fun with the emphatic claims that Tony Romo is the best QB in the history of the Cowboys from earlier in the thread.

You don't sit your best ever QB in the history of the franchise for a rookie when you are about to go on a playoff run.

Doltos posted:

In an alternate dimension people realize Romo was never a very good QB and the issue of having a good rookie QB starting over him would be a non-issue

This is the dimension I'm living in.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Who do you think will get in the Hall of Fame first, Eli Manning or Tony Romo?

trick question: Romo isn't getting into the Hall of Fame with a 2-4 playoff record

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

What's hosed up is that the Cowboys have somehow turned into the Eagles closest ally for the next few weeks when all goes right..

mathematical elimination fever...catch it!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If Nelson Agholor finishes very strongly he has a good chance of passing Mark Bavaro on the Eagles all-time receiving list in only two years.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Doltos posted:

Week 17. Dallas is 14-1. Garrett trots out the starters for the first series. Dak gets a season ending injury. A spunky journeyman backup QB named Tony Romo takes over the reins of the franchise, inexplicably leading it to a Super Bowl

Week 17. Dallas is 14-1. Garrett decides to sit Dak for a game but he is called upon early when Longhorn Jordan Hicks finishes the job he started last season and ends Romo's career. Sorry Bears.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
McNabb kinda sucked a lot of the time, but his playoff record is a hell of a lot better than Tony Romo's

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Romo was no more than a journeyman backup QB who fell into a good situation and then confirmed his mediocre talent when poo poo got real (the playoffs).

Notice how we're using the past tense to talk about Romo? yeah

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

McNabb had Owens and got an amazing year out of him

McNabb had Owens one year and went to the Super Bowl. Romo had Owens for 3 years and ?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

When Murray has been able to run behind great lines in Dallas and Tennessee, he's looked very good. When he had to run behind a shithouse, makeshift line in Philly, not so much. Like Miles Austin, Murray has only ever played one full season for a team, and no, he's never been as good as Westbrook or McCoy.

You can't really blame the line or Murray for his performance in Philadelphia. Chip Kelly ran a read option offense with a quarterback who was not a threat to run so Murray was hit in the backfield by the unblocked defender before he could even get to the line of scrimmage on most plays.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

I was living in Dallas Chip's first year - the Fools Gold hit me hard and I was trumpeting the glory of Chip to my co workers.

:negative:

It was good the first year. But Kelly wasn't able to adapt as everyone else adapted to him.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

predicto posted:

I want to hate McNabb because he sucked rear end playing for the Redskins, but I reluctantly vote for him over Romo.

So, going by thread logic where Romo is the greatest Dallas QB ever, Donovan McNabb was better than any Dallas Cowboys quarterback ever.

It's possible we may have been building on a false premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

TBH I don't think Eagle fans generally hate Redskin fans, it's more of a down the nose type thing

a new study bible! posted:

It's hard for anyone to have hate for the Redskins after they've been poo poo for 20 years.

Yeah, Eagles/Redskins is barely a rivalry, at least from my Eagles perspective.

Most Eagles fans hate the Cowboys more than anything, but some of us, like me, hate the Giants more. I have a theory that Eagles fans who went to college in the Northeast tend to hate the Giants more because they actually spent time around Giants fans for four years. The only time you meet a Cowboys fan in the Northeast it's because they had an abusive father or something and their fandom is some sort of symbolic retaliation that is more worthy of pity than hatred.

As a corollary example, I hate the Mets and Mets fans and I don't even follow baseball.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread