Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think the NFC East will send 3 playoff teams for the first time since 2008 (or was it 2009?)

Febreeze posted:

I mean just lmao if you are an NFC east fan and don't want the other 3 teams to die in hellfire

I used to hate the Cowboys the most because gently caress The Cowboys but then Eli Manning stole Donovan McNabb's spot in the Hall of Fame and now I live in DC where every mouthbreather thinks Dan Snyder is a genius and they're going to the Super Bowl every April.

I honestly don't know which team I hate the most anymore.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

romanowski posted:

literally nobody in dc thinks dan snyder is a genius or a good person. maybe some virginians do but gently caress em

I work in Virginia :negative:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

General Dog posted:

After all their years of suffering the Eagles have finally landed the kind of quarterback they've always wanted, the whitest man on earth.

But Nick Foles isn't on the team anymore?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

Non-Cowboys NFCE teams fans: Do you think Romo should start and when? I've seen endless discussion amongst Dallas fans, but I'd like to hear from the other teams in the division.

No. I do not want to watch a man die/be paralyzed on TV and Dak looks decent.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

I feel the same way. His performance last game was abysmal, it's been a long time since I've seen someone get manhandled like that on every single play. I understand that our backs are (sort of) against the wall, but keeping him in was a colossal mistake and this whole thing reeks of Chip kelly levels of "I made a mistake but I refuse to admit it" tbh. I respect not wanting to crush Vaitai's confidence by putting him and then immediately benching him again but the dude's gotta be honest with himself - everyone knows where he stands on the roster. In my opinion it's going to be far worse for him in the long run to be forced into a spot where he just can't perform at the level that's being asked of him than it would be to give him more time to develop. And that's to say nothing of how bad it is for the team, but then again it wouldn't be the NFCE if it didn't devolve into a total shitshow at some point.

So I read some good analysis on why they kept him in the game. Basically, you know that it's going to be a disaster but the entire line was playing like garbage. If you single him out and keep the rest of the linemen in it sends a horrible message to the team about accountability and performance. If the other 4 guys had been fine and Vatoi had been horrific then yeah, you bench him, but if everyone is getting beat you can't just single out the new guy and say it's all his fault.

blue squares posted:

I think Wentz is going to be kicking rear end in the league, but obviously it's too early to know if he will move into the top of QBs. Eagles fans, a lot of people say Wentz only throws short routes. How is his medium and deep ball? I've seen a couple great throws from him, but I haven't watched a full eagles game yet.

Check this out:

https://gfycat.com/GeneralBonyHarvestmouse

That's on a fairly routine 2nd and 5 and he gets a ton of air yards. I'm trying to find other gifs but can't right now, but if you can check out his long completion to Jordan Matthews against Washington. He's extremely accurate on deep throws.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 20, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
While we're on CousinsChat I think the Skins o-line and Cousins deserve big props for how they dealt with our pass rush. We had been eating QBs alive the first four weeks and they effectively used the running game and screens to completely negate that strength. I think they also were helped by playing with a lead all game so they didn't feel like every drive had to be a TD.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Febreeze posted:

My favorite PFF stat was two weeks in a row of Eli Manning

Eli had a terrible game the first week, mediocre completion %, like 1 TD 1INT, nothing to write home about. PFF said "He was actually better than average!" and gave him a top 10 grade.
The following week Eli lit up the other team for like 3 TDs and better numbers all across the board and PFF gave him a negative grade based on the most arbitrary poo poo you've ever heard like throwing dinky passes on 2nd down.

PFF is just terrible. FO is okay, but only when it comes to certain stats.

FO could go from okay to "legitimately good/useful" if they were way more open about the methodology for their stats (i.e. we still have no idea how DVOA is calculated) and admitted there are blind spots/shortcomings.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Jesus Christ some of the poo poo people are making up in this Romo/Dak debate is embarrassingly stupid.

Radio guy admits he's pulling stuff out of his rear end, but says he feels like Dak works harder than Romo ever did. In six games. That Romo was coddled by Jerry, and he was an underachiever.

Let me help simplify the Romo/Dak debate: both are talented QBs, but one is coming back from yet another injury and the other is younger, more mobile, and not struggling with the offensive playcalls.

All of that is true, as opposed to blue/silver bleeders vomiting up nonsense. God drat.

The Romo/Dak debate should honestly factor in "we don't want our starting QB to be in a wheelchair the rest of his life." I'm honestly terrified that if Romo comes back he's going to end up paralyzed or forever hobbled.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

Has Philly at Dallas next week always been a primetime game?

Yes and I'm nervous as gently caress for it. This has "heart breaking loss" written all over it. For both teams.

Maybe we'll tie :laffo:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

If the Cowboys convincingly win the next two games (vs Eagles, at Vikings) can we consider them the best team in the NFC?

yes

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

ooops I had a brainfart and forgot my own team's schedule

Do you mean I just agreed to a hypothetical scenario where the Cowboys are the best team in the NFC and it wasn't even right?

Noooooooo :negative:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This is perfect. Natty can continue to defend Kirk as the best QB in the NFL, and everyone else can acknowledge that he is just good enough to not win or not lose a game.

:golfclap:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

fun idea, check out the 2015, 4-12 Cowboys loss margins

so this means we'll be 5-2 this time next year?

i'll take it.

at this point i'm hoping the vikings continue to suck so the pick we get from them is better than the pick we send to cleveland.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I for one find 89's "earnest fan who blindly supports his team and thinks they'll win every game and takes every comment about them seriously" gimmick to be charming

but that's my gimmick :smith:

well combined with "melting down hilariously when the team sucks and proves him wrong"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm gonna :lol: when the entire division has winning records and one of the teams misses the playoffs.

it'll be the eagles. losing 3 divisional games in a row in a good division is A Really Bad Idea.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Can they just ban the NFCN from the playoffs and give the final spot to the NFCE...provided that all NFCE teams finish with winning records

look the lions have suffered enough, let them have this.

we should take the afc south's spot instead.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hizawk posted:

I loving hate the Redskins

Hell, same.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Presented without comment.

Nelson Agholar needed a replay review to get half of his catches. Jesus christ he needs to be loving gone.

Glad J-Matt figured out how to catch though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

shiksa posted:

kirk cousins is the best qb in the nfce because i like him and i think he would be my friend

sorry-not-sorry carson- and dak-ailures

what about the eli-ailures?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The wildcard race this year is just going to be NFCE #2&3.

Well, the lesser of the Cardinals/Seahawks might have an outside play, especially if the NFC East does its thing where everyone ends up 4-2/3-3 in the division.

Plus the Eagles still have @SEA, GB, @CIN and @BAL to knock them out of the "above .500" club.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

seiferguy posted:

This is my favorite Eagles / Seahawks game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200512050phi.htm

3/6 of Seattle's TDs were defensive ones lol

I am so loving triggered right now.

I stayed up late watching that whole game. I may have cried. 2005 was the worst year.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

*hysterical sobbing*

why would you do this to me NWP?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

shyduck posted:

My favorites are the ones where the WR is uncontested and the ball hits them square in the hands, which is like 50% of all of them

If you had fun with that one, why not try the 2015 version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnvyIdos4w

:cry: :negative:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

It really should be redone with metropolitan area population rather than city population which would make the NFC East look huge-er.

Do we give Dallas most of the rural areas in Texas? What about Oklahoma/Arkansas?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Agholor still has 2 years on his rookie contract. Let him see it out. It's not like anyone is going to trade for him.

SunkCostFallacy.txt

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sickening posted:

Does anybody still believe that the eagles are a better team than the cowboys?

yes.

Hawley-Smoot Tariff posted:

I can actually feel the rage clicking of keyboards from Philadelphia in response to this post.

also this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

incompetent posted:

If the Eagles are a better team, why didn't they win?

The 2007 Pats didn't beat the Giants in the Super Bowl. The better team doesn't always win.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

So Romo asked for a chance to prove he should still start and was told no.

gently caress.

:getin:

I cannot wait for the meltdown in the locker room when Dak proves his Fraud Status.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yeah, ideally the Cowboys run Dak all this season, they fall apart in the playoffs, Romo leaves, and then Dak gets exposed as being reliant on everyone around him to look decent.

Please don't post excerpts from my Super Top Secret Football Fantasies Journal.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Iodised QQ posted:

Whole lot of people itt forgetting about the team who actually beat the Cowboys, shut down zeke, and had dak playing like a rookie because he didn't have the best run game in the NFL for one day

I am of course talking about the browns

I wish Eli had signed the stadium again after Week 1.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NattyBo posted:

Not to interrupt Dan vs Wentz chat, but can we talk about how bullshit the Redskins schedule is?

This weekend we play on SNF before having a game Thursday midday. So basically a 2.5-3 day turnaround. Fine whatever I guess it's only 8 hours less than Dallas gets plus travel time too.

The week before Christmas we play Carolina on MNF and then have a SATURDAY 1PM game @Chicago, so a 4 day turnaround Only team in the league with 2 short turnarounds in one season.

Thanks, Mara.

The Eagles had a week 4 bye, and played 3 teams in a row coming off bye (plus the Falcons off a TNF), 2 of them divisional teams on the road.

Although I agree short turnarounds are poo poo. NFL should add an extra bye week.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Filled under "interesting trivia" the Philadelphia Inquirer did a story on why every Eagles player has the number they have. Some are pretty interesting. A lot of the players really know their Philly history.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/The_stories_of_the_Philadelphia_Eagles_numbers.html

WR Nelson Agholar #17 posted:

When I first got it, a lot of the players I respected in the league had it. Alshon [Jeffery, of the Chicago Bears] was one of my first close friends in the NFL that played the receiver position - and he wore 17. So when I looked at the number, I was like, 'I can be like AJ17.' But a lot of great players wore 17 in this league. Obviously we have a great player here in our organization, Harold Carmichael, who wore it. But if it was up to me, I'd wear 15 - 15 was my college number, but 17 is a great number also. And as I think about it now, I build up little stories for it all the time. I'm one of seven people in my family.

WR Dorial Green-Beckham #18 posted:

Really, holding it down for my Missouri guy [Jeremy Maclin].

RB Wendell Smallwood #28 posted:

What came to mind was Correll Buckhalter, how hard he worked. He wasn't the main guy. He was in a committee. . . . I liked the way he worked, did what he had to do, stepped up in some big games. That's what [28] means to me. Most people think Adrian Peterson. [Buckhalter] is who I think, though, because he was one of my idols coming up when I was young.

CB Jalen Mills #31 posted:

Thirty-one teams passed up on me. Philly was the 32nd. They took a chance on me.

LS Jon Dorenbos #46 posted:

They said, 'What number do you want?' And you know what I told them? 'The number don't make the player. The player makes the number. What do you got?' And they gave me a list, and I [picked randomly]. 'I'll take 46.' Since then, almost every snapper has been 46 now.

T Halapoulivaati Vaitai #72 posted:

I had 74 for a long time - high school, college, middle school. When I got to the league, I was like, 'Man, I've got to change something.' I wanted to keep it an even number. 78 was on my mind, but then I was, like, 72 looks like a legendary number. And plus, my girlfriend wanted it. I said I just wanted something different. At first I wanted 69. But 72, she liked it. . . . Every time I sign a ball, my brain is conditioned to write 74. So I've got to recondition it.

DE Vinny Curry #75 posted:

'I wear 75 because that's how many people died in my college plane crash.' (Curry went to Marshall; in 1970, a plane full of Marshall football players, staff, and boosters crashed short of Tri-State Airport in West Virginia.)

WR Jordan Matthews #81 posted:

There were a couple ones I wanted before 81. I wanted 80 first, obviously, [because of] my cousin [Jerry Rice]. I wanted 87 because of college. [Brent] Celek had it. So I was the next one in my family to go to the league. 80, Jerry. 81, me.

LB Mychal Kendricks #95 posted:

It's kind of like a big number on who would be considered a little dude. Greg gave it to me my rookie year because there were no other numbers available, and he was like, 'It'll be different.' He talked me into it, because I was hella sad. When I first came in, he assigned me the number, and I was super sad about it because I was like, 'I'm a linebacker, I want a 50 number.' And he was like, 'Hey, man, it's different, it'll look good on you!' Telling me all the things I want to hear, knowing that I wouldn't be too satisfied with it. And I was a rookie, so I didn't really have a choice. Because every one who's a vet had earned their numbers. . . . I wanted 99, that's retired, so he's like, 'You got 95.' . . . I took the 95, I called my brother, Chad. He's like, 'what number did you get?' I said, 'They gave me 95, I'm hella sad.' He's like, 'Cool, man, that's sweet!' Because I guess back in the day, 95 was a good number. It's a universal number - you can see 95 on race cars. He was talking about Starter jerseys. He said the number back in the day, in the 80s, was 95 - 95 was like that number. So I guess every time I see 95 - Urban Outfitters sells shirts with 95 on it. It's a good number to have. I-95, so that's cool. It kind of grew on me. It's grown into something.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

I remain convinced that the Eagles are the second best team in the NFC East and will win their three remaining division games. They will beat the Redskins and Giants because they are better, and they will beat the Cowboys because it's the last game of the season and Dallas will have probably already secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

this will all happen and they will still miss the playoffs because god is real and it loving hates us. let's all just kill ourselves and get it over with.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

predicto posted:

They probably won't be underdogs to Washington playing at home.

The Eagles haven't beaten Washington since 2014 they're going to be underdogs.

They're also not going to make the playoffs and the cowboys will win the super bowl because god is evil.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Eh i guess it benefits the Eagles more for the Skins to lose so against all my natural instincts.

Go....Cowboys..... :suicide:

Cheer for the tie.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Help me nfc east goons which scenario is funnier:

1) Skins miss the playoffs because of their tie
2) Giants collapse down the stretch and miss the playoffs despite being 8-3
3) Cowboys collapse down the stretch and lose the division/miss the playoffs entirely somehow
4) Eagles win out but miss the playoffs because the Buccaneers win out too.

I am sure that one of these will happen but I'm not sure which is the funniest.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

dest posted:

As unlikely as that may seem today, having lost the final win-and-in game from 2011-2013... I'm going to be nervous until the playoff birth is clinched.

When can the Cowboys clinch anyway? Is just beating the Giants in 2 weeks and not giving up any ground before that enough?

blue squares posted:

Fivethirtyeight gives the Cowboys a >99% chance of making the playoffs

Good thing it's not Princeton Election Football Consortium saying that then.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Who's ready to watch Philly on Hard Knocks next summer?

me i am. i've never watched before but having it show a team i actually care about would be cool.

although learning that jared goff didn't know what direction the sun rises from was fun this year.

edit: also lol skins. join us down in the sewer. everything floats down here.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 20, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

lovely joke video with ryan gosling over goff's head but it shows the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLUCwkJIAIA

this article is a gold mine

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/30014/where-does-the-sun-rise-thanks-to-hard-knocks-rams-goff-knows

espn posted:

IRVINE, Calif. -- The most stunning aspect to the Rams’ debut on HBO's “Hard Knocks” on Tuesday wasn’t a wide receiver getting cut for having a female visitor in his room, but prized rookie quarterback Jared Goff not knowing from which direction the sun rises.

That would be Jared Goff, who went to Cal, ranked by U.S. News as the fourth-best university on the planet.

Alas, there were apparently some things Cal assumed you already knew.

But the series exposed Goff’s particular bit of ignorance during a meeting with quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke. The show had its fun with it, later showing Goff in the Goodyear blimp with fellow rookie Pharoh Cooper.

Goff asked Cooper if he knew where the sun rose and the wide receiver said, “In the air?”

“East,” Goff informed him. “Apparently it’s well known.”

Yeah, maybe not. Rams linebacker Cameron Lynch was asked if he could say Wednesday and struggled like he was asked to do his Will Hunting at MIT imitation.

“Uh, I don’t know,” he said.

Special teams coach John Fassel was shown in the debut show with his toddler running into his arms. Asked if she knew yet where the sun rose, he responded, "No, but she’s always at the beach so she knows it sets in the West."

But Fassel said no one should be surprised if players are unaware that the sun rises in the East.

“No, they don’t know,” he said. “I had to think about it when you just asked me. I was like, 'Wait a second.’ We have our minds on football right now.”

Asked if it was remotely possible the players were struggling with this basic bit of knowledge because the franchise had recently arrived on the West Coast, he said: “That could be. You almost kind of have to switch. In St. Louis we don’t know, the sun is like in the middle.”

Punter Johnny Hekker, a five-year veteran, volunteered he was aware from which direction the sun rose.

“Young guys these days,” Hekker said. “As long as [he] can throw the football and move in the pocket, I don’t care what he knows about the sunrise and set.”

Informed Goff was hardly alone on the team in his confusion, Hekker shrugged.

“We’re going to be OK,” he said. “We just have to concern ourselves with football and that’s what we’re here to do. The sun will continue to do what it’s doing.”

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Porn on VHS posted:

if I get turned around on my way to somewhere I'm pulling out Google Maps, not looking around in the sky

basic directional awareness is a good skill. i have a friend who literally doesn't know how to get to the grocery store from his house (it's 3 blocks away) and it's really disturbing. the man would starve if the gps network went down for maintenance.

• Locked thread