Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

But what are you going to do when say, hurricane hermine comes through and knocks down half the trees/powerlines in your city and you have to understand how to get around because no satnav can sort out how to drive around destruction like that.

When you actually need to get somewhere, its handy to be able to do it without technology because there absolutely are times where tech fails.

Edit: Replace hurricane with ice storm, tornado, flooding, wildfire, or whatever natural disaster is most prevalent in your area.

It just really weirds me out how someone could do the same route over and over and not memorize how to do it. I have my route to work, grocery store, bars i go to a lot, etc. all memorized and i can get there without even thinking about it. the only reason i'll run a gps when i do it is to know if there's traffic and i need to divert to an alternate route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

I think it was a decent penalty, not too severe, but not nothing either. It's not like the Giants have a long history of cheating like the Patriots so I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, also the equipment they were provided broke. I have a lot of sympathy in that case as they were trying to not be at a competitive disadvantage.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Please someone tell me how both the Giants and Skins can miss the playoffs so I can laugh and laugh and laugh (and then cry as the Cowboys win the Super Bowl)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Packers win on Sunday. Lions win on Monday. Then Lions win next week and skins and giants both lose out (actually skins may only need to lose one)

Oh and the bucs need to win 2

How can the Skins and Giants lose out, they play each other.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

It would be funny for the Giants to miss the playoffs cause of us, but on the same note, it would be great if they won.

Oh, Super Bowl champs Giants? You mean that scrub team we disposed of in Week 16? :smuggo:

Er but they beat us earlier in the year...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The NFC East failed to win a playoff game and thus are the worst division ever! It's back guys! The balance of the universe has been restored!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

Remember when Jeffrey Loria was, somehow, an even worse owner than Dan Snyder?

was? pretty sure he still is.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

What happened to our plan to cut $$ this offseason? If Peters won't take a paycut I'm not sure where the cap savings are coming from.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your 2017 Philadelphia Eagles: No seriously guys it's still 2010 we swear.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839944825432596480

YESYESYESYEYSYESYYESY

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Is Axiel still around? Or did he quit

The offseason is my time to slumber, but the start of FA and the draft always brings me back. I'm still here baby :wink:

CyberPingu posted:

We have a receiving core....I'm feeling a strange feeling...is it happiness

tbh I was laughing this morning at people talking themselves into Torrey loving Smith: The One WR Ranked Worse Than Agholar being our savior but gently caress it, I'll take him+Alshon.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Diqnol posted:

Omg, we're even fixing the line? Be still my beating heart

The Skins are in disarray, noted Good Guy Tony Romo is off the Cowboys and they're about to fall apart and the Giants are the Giants.

Everything's coming up Eagle-

*carson wentz killed in a hunting accident*

paternity suitor posted:

This is a good day for the Eagles

Would you say it's....like a dream?

:gonk:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BexGu posted:

Synder is playing fantasy football with grown men and wants to be the person everyone praises when the Redskins win a superbowl. Its never going to happen but he'll keep loving up trying to get there.

Six years old but still relevant if you wanna get a feel of the kind of owner Synder is: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/13039846/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder

Yeah. Again, they just fired their GM for being too good at his job.

On the first day of Free Agency.

In what sane organization would you ever fire someone for that?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Remember when the Eagles played the Vikings and there were like 10 turnovers in the first half? Lol.

I was late getting back from a frisbee game and sat down and was like "oh hey cool the score is tied" and I had no idea there had already been like 6 turnovers.

What a strange game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm gonna miss Tony Romo. But I'm glad he's retiring. He's a nice guy and deserves his health.

Also Andy Reid is the greatest Eagles coach ever and McNabb the greatest QB and were defeated by the insidious machinations of The Nefarious Tee Oh.

Also Jim Johnson dying.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Eagles will be 16-0, win the Super Bowl.

This guy gets it.

19-0 starts now!

Seriously having WRs not named Jordan Matthews who have actual human hands and not claws like a deformed sewage monster will be a massive improvement alone.

NotWearingPants posted:

The schedule seems pretty fun. At the Seahawks Sunday night should be huge. They have the Redskins at home on a Monday. Raiders in week 15 at home on a Monday. And they finish at home against the Cowboys

If you have to have a Thursday game four days after you play on Sunday, it could be worse than at Carolina. And then comes the Monday night game against the Redskins 11 days later so it's almost like a mini-bye. Speaking of byes, week 10 is a good week for a bye. It certainly beats last season's week 4 bye.

And they gave us a warm weather travel game in December, the Rams on 12/10, which it feels like we haven't had in forever.

Raiders game is also on Christmas on MNF and is going to be Real loving Good. Like so good I'm debating getting tickets and freezing my rear end off.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I gave up on defending Matthews after he hosed up that touchdown in Seattle by lining up wrong.

That was Agholar

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This just seems very :geno: to me. I have no strong opinions but given the Eagles did something by my unflinching homerism it must be A Good Thing

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's amazing--the Dallas offensive line is always simultaneously so great that anyone could succeed behind it and so inept that losing Dak or Zeke would render the entire team garbage.

Losing Zeke wouldn't leave Dallas "without a run game." It would just leave Dallas with "an OK run game" that would be successful behind the superior line and elevated by having a mobile QB that can throw the ball downfield. McFadden had a 1k-yard season on an offense where Brandon Weeden and the wheel of clowns we put in at QB never threw the ball more than 5 yards downfield. Dak creates a downfield threat *and* an additional rushing threat that teams have to account for, and that helps Zeke a lot more than Zeke's ability to get second-level yards helps Dak.

As a different question then, instead of Zeke going down with an injury what if 3+ starting linemen miss over 50% of the season?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

troofs posted:

My favorite part has been reading sincere excitement for the 2017 vintage of Torrey Smith, although to be fair he is legitimately an upgrade over the schmucks from last year.

A noticeably worse version of Ted Ginn jr: savior

We Eagles fans have been in a bad place since Chip Kelly was a fuckstick with Maclin and let him leave for KC. Rock bottom was probably when our #3 WR got busted for being an idiot and we had to somehow talk ourselves into it being a good thing because he sucked anyway.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Would you take the Eagles offense or the Giants offense this year?

I'd rank it:

1. Cowboys
2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Lolskins

But the Eagles and Giants are really close. I'd rather have the Eagles O-line and the Giants WRs. I'd take Wentz over Eli but I'm a giant homer. RB situation is kind of a toss-up.

NotWearingPants posted:

This has always been the Eagles thread.

Why are there so many more Eagles fans than fans of the other NFC East teams? :iiam:

Posting's all we have since we dont have ~*RINGZZZ*~

:smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 25, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

In a Q&A today, an Eagles beat writer was asked to name the best QB in the NFC East going in to the 2017 season.

For me, the obvious answer to this question is Carson Wentz.

He said Kirk Cousins.

Nick Foles, hands down. :v:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Hey, that's Hall of Famer Nick Foles. :colbert:

I think you mean Pro Bowl MVP Nick Foles

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
First Foles comes back. Next Maclin gets cut. The universe is trying to undo the idiocy of Chip Kelly The Fraud.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

aBagorn posted:

I was going to dispute this but then looked it up, and holy poo poo Tra Thomas first started in 1998
I feel old now.

Yep. For basically my entire life as an Eagles fan we've had a really solid tackle situation.

The cap savings are big, I just have some....anxiety about giving players in premier positions where age can catch up fast lots of money.

*Looks at the Ryan Howard deal and :cry:*

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eagles!

http://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-eagles-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2017/

Also he's right, we totally are gonna suck poo poo this year.

don't have hope, don't have hope, don't have hope.... :ohdear:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

I wouldn't be so annoyed if they got punished the same as non rich people. But seeing a guy get 2 DUIs and get a slap on the wrist and then I'm supposed to cheer for him 3 days later feels like a slap in the face

One point in Doug Pederson's/Howie Roseman's favor: when one of our WRs got caught with a DUI and an unregistered handgun he got cut immediately even though it meant our WR corps went from "bad" to "horrifying"

Unfortunately we also failed to cut noted human piece of poo poo Riley Cooper for being a massive racist so...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

No joke; that's what I heard and I agree, it's exactly the type of action the NFL would take. Though a suspension for weed implies he's already failed at least one drug test.

It makes no sense that the NFL's investigation into the domestic abuse incident has continued this far, given that the DA dropped the case after witnesses at the claim refuted the alleged victim's testimony and evidence was produced showing the alleged victim asked a friend to lie for her. Which isn't to say that Zeke never assaulted her (though admittedly it looks less likely), but it does suggest that this particular assault didn't occur. Then again, according to an ABC report this week:

Yeah I mean I'm not pro-Cowboys but if the dude hit his gf then he either did and should get the full 6 games, or he didn't, and shouldn't get anything.

I dunno what Goodell is trying to do with this "oh we'll give him 2 on some trumped-up other thing"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

"an incident"

That is vague as gently caress. Did he punch someone? Spill his drink? Forget to wash his hands?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hm yes this is a good reason to suspend someone

*football player at a bar where someone gets punched*

HE MUST'VE DONE IT WITH HIS HERCULEAN STRENGTH DESPITE NOT ACTUALLY EVEN BEING AROUND THE DUDE

*suspended 100 games*

Zeke might be a shithead, but there should be some actual due process around this stuff.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

We were all so high on the Chip

Who?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
x-post from the main N/V thread as I figured it may generate more discussion here.

Doug Pederson was the most aggressive coach in the league on 4th down last season, plans to be more aggressive this year at the advice of his analytics people. Jimmy Kempski over at Philly Voice did a full write-up of all his attempts, it's a good read.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/expect-doug-pederson-continue-be-aggressive-fourth-down/

Jimmy Kempski posted:

Expect Doug Pederson to continue to be aggressive on fourth down

Doug Pederson did not make scared decisions in his first season as the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, unlike his predecessor, who some referred to as 'Big Balls Chip' Kelly.

Last season, Pederson went for it on fourth down 27 times, most in the NFL. In fact, only two teams (the Texans with 23, and the Rams with 20) attempted to go for it 20 or more times in 2016. The 27 times Pederson went for it on fourth down matched the number of times Kelly went for it in 2014 and 2015, combined.

The reality in the NFL is that teams should go for it on fourth down more than they do, according to the percentages. But more often than not, NFL head coaches lean absurdly too far to the conservative side. Fans have even adopted the conservative approach, as one of the common criticisms of Pederson during his rookie season as a head coach was that he was too aggressive on fourth down.

If you're among the criticizers of Pederson's approach to fourth down, it's probably not going to change. And actually, Pederson may be even more aggressive on fourth down in 2017.

This offseason, Pederson met with analyst Ryan Paganetti along with Vice President of Football Operations and Strategy Alec Halaby to review Pederson's fourth down calls a season ago.

"The decision necessarily to go for it I felt like were all legit decisions to go, personally," said Pederson. "Whether we executed the play or not that’s another (story).

"But those were all situations that when you look at stuff like that I look at how our defense is performing, special teams, and really just how well are we executing on offense.”

Pederson said that the feedback that he received from Paganetti and Halaby was that he should have perhaps gone for it on fourth down even more than he did last season.

"I just know there are areas of the field based on analytics and some of the things that come up that maybe going into this year, without giving out a lot of information, where you might go for it in those situations," he said. "So those are all things if we get into these preseason games – and really you can try some things in preseason a little bit without getting crazy, but there are some based on the analytics out there that there are some areas of the field that are interesting, that you can actually decide to go for it.”

I was curious to see if I agreed with Pederson's assertion that they were right to go for it every time that they did a season ago, so I went back and looked at all of Pederson's fourth down attempts:

1) Week 1: 4th and 4 from the Browns’ 40-yard line, Eagles leading 15-10

Wentz finds Ertz over the middle for 5 yards and a first down. Next play: 35-yard TD pass from Wentz to Agholor.

#JimmySays: This was a situation where the Eagles were in sort of that no-man's land juuuust outside field goal range, but where you're likely not going to get a whole lot of net yards by punting. So many teams make the infuriatingly wrong decision to punt here. Not Pederson. He converted, and was rewarded with a score.

Week 2: 4th and 2 from the Bears’ 28-yard line, Eagles’ opening drive, no score.

Wentz finds DGB for a nine-yard completion and a first down. Eagles drive eventually stalls and they settle for a 25-yard chip shot field goal.

#JimmySays: The Eagles were moving the ball efficiently on this drive, so Pederson rolled the dice a bit that they could convert despite being in field goal range. Personally, I like the aggressiveness.

Week 2: 4th and Goal at the Bears’ 1-yard line, Eagles leading 22-7, 10:36 left in the game.

Ryan Mathews rushes wide left for an easy TD.

#JimmySays: Up 15 already, if you kick an easy FG here, you're up three scores in the fourth quarter. I'd have taken the three here.

Week 2: 4th and 6 at the Bears’ 26-yard line, Eagles leading 29-7, 2:13 left in the game.

Wentz finds Matthews for seven yards and a first down. The Eagles then run out the rest of the clock.

#JimmySays: Sure, whatever. The game by this point was out of reach, and Pederson didn't want the Bears to get the ball back. Get the first down, kneel on it, and head home.

Week 7: 4th and 2 at the Vikings’ 44-yard line, 1:21 left in the first half, Eagles leading 8-3.

Wentz takes it himself for a 6-yard rush and a first down. As a result, the Eagles kick a 35-yard field goal as time expires in the first half.

#JimmySays: Ballsy call, and I love it. If you don't convert, you give the Vikings a chance to score going the other way before the end of the first half. But if you do, you're likely going to get at least a field goal, which the Eagles did. Does anyone really even remember this call? Most probably don't, and there's a reason why. There's no doubt Pederson would have been criticized had he not converted here, but because he did... crickets. Observers tend to only remember the calls that go wrong.

Week 9: 4th and 2 from the Giants’ 23-yard line, 15:00 left in the second quarter, Eagles trailing 14-3.

Wentz takes it himself, but is thrown for a four-yard loss. Turnover on downs instead of a 40-yard field goal attempt.

#JimmySays: This play call was bad, but I have no problem with trying to be aggressive down 11 points.

Week 9: 4th and 1 from the Giants’ 6-yard line, 3:55 left in the second quarter, Eagles trailing 21-10.

Sproles tries the right side, but is tackled for no gain. Turnover on downs instead of a 23-yard field goal attempt.

#JimmySays: At the six-yard line with a yard to go down 11? In my view, this is a no-brainer call to go for it. Get 7, not 3. In this case, the Eagles did not convert, so Pederson was roundly criticized.

Week 9: 4th and 9 from the Giants’ 46-yard line, 6:12 left in the game, Eagles trailing 28-20.

Wentz finds Matthews for 25 yards and first down. The drive eventually stalls, with Caleb Sturgis hitting a 38-yard field goal.

#JimmySays: This was not a no-brainer call, especially needing nine yards. I might have punted here, but Pederson went the aggressive route and converted.

Week 9: 4th and 10 from the Giants’ 17-yard line, 1:28 left in the game, Eagles trailing 28-23.

In a no-brainer “go for it” situation, Wentz misfires on a fade route to Matthews, essentially ending the game.

#JimmySays: The Eagles didn't have any timeouts left and three points did them no good. No-brainer decision.

Week 10: 4th and 1 from the Falcons’ 48-yard line, 8 seconds left in the half, Eagles leading 7-6.

Trying one more play to get into field goal range, Wentz throws incomplete to Agholor. The Falcons then had one play to try a Hail Mary, which failed.

#JimmySays: This was another interesting call. With 8 seconds left, if you convert, you have a chance at a long field goal before the end of the half. If you don't, there's only enough time for your opponent to try a Hail Mary. I would go for this every time unless I already had a big lead.

Week 11: 4th and 3 from the Seahawks’ 41-yard line, 10:42 left in the game, Eagles trailing 26-7.

Wentz pass to Ertz falls incomplete.

#JimmySays: Down by 19 with under 11 minutes to go, Pederson made the obvious decision to go for it here.

Week 11: 4th and 3 from the Seahawks’ 17-yard line, 4:36 left in the game, Eagles trailing 26-7.

Wentz to DGB for 8 yards and a first down. The Eagles score a TD two plays later.

#JimmySays: Again, the obvious call based on the score and the time remaining.

Week 11: 4th and 10 from the 50-yard line, 1:52 left in the game, Eagles trailing 26-15.

In desperation mode, the Eagles go for it on 4th and 10, and Wentz’s pass to Matthews falls incomplete, essentially ending the game.

#JimmySays: One last time, the obvious call based on the score and the time remaining.

Week 12: 4th and 29 from the Eagles’ 18-yard line, 1:05 left in the game, Eagles trailing 27-13.

Wentz throws complete to Sproles, who gains 14 yards, short of the first down, ending the game.

#JimmySays: The next week, again in desperation mode, obvious decision.

Week 13: 4th and 5 from the Bengals’ 13-yard line, 2:30 left in the third quarter, Eagles trailing 29-0.

Eagles convert with a Wentz TD pass to Ertz.

#JimmySays: Some might kick the field goal here just to get on the board, which is beyond stupid. Pederson makes the obvious decision to go for it, and the Eagles scored.

Week 13: 4th and 1 from the Bengals’ 26-yard line, 9:21 left in the game, Eagles trailing 29-7.

Wentz throws complete to Agholor for 8 yards and a first down, eventually leading to another fourth down decision…

#JimmySays: Down 22 with nine minutes to go, again, another easy call.

Week 13: 4th and 5 from the Bengals’ 13-yard line, 7:46 left in the game, Eagles trailing 29-7.

Wentz again finds Agholor for 8 yards and a first down. Sproles rushes for a two yard TD two plays later.

#JimmySays: Again, some coaches might kick the field goal here, which would be absurdly dumb. Pederson went for it and got 7 instead of 3.

Week 13: 4th and 3 from the Bengals’ 31-yard line, 4:03 left in the game, Eagles trailing 29-14.

Vontaze Burfict picks off Wentz on a great play.

#JimmySays: Score and time remaining dictated that Pederson go for it here.

Week 13: 4th and 3 from the Bengals’ 24-yard line, 0:26 left in the game, Eagles trailing 32-14.

Wentz misses Burton. The Bengals kneel on it once and the game is over.

#JimmySays: With the game sealed in "who cares" mode, the Eagles go for it and don't convert.

Week 14: 4th and 2 from the Redskins’ 37-yard line, 5:04 left in the third quarter, Eagles trailing 14-13.

Wentz finds Ertz for 8 yards and a first down. Drive eventually stalls with an aborted field goal attempt, noted next.

#JimmySays: Long snapper Jon Dorenbos had gotten hurt earlier in the game, so the Eagles weren't going to attempt a 54-yard field goal with him out. I would have gone for this anyway, even with Dorenbos out.

Week 14: 4th and 13 from the Redskins’ 32-yard line, 3:29 left in the third quarter, Eagles trailing 14-13.

Eagles try a field goal, but a bad snap from Brent Celek leads to an aborted field goal attempt.

#JimmySays: Obviously, the intent here was not to go for it, but it counts as a missed 4th down attempt in the stat sheet.

Week 14: 4th and 1 from the Redskins’ 34-yard line, 7:27 left in the game, Eagles trailing 21-19.

Wentz picks up a first down on a rush. The Eagles later convert on a more manageable 41-yard attempt.

#JimmySays: Opting to go for it instead of attempting a 51-yard field goal with a backup long snapper, Pederson makes the correct call again. And again, I would go for it here even if Dorenbos hadn't gotten hurt.

Week 15: 4th and 1 from the Ravens’ 34-yard line, 4:54 left in the second quarter, Eagles trailing 13-11.

Wentz finds Ertz for 8 yards. Eagles eventually settle for an easier 34-yard field goal attempt which is good.

#JimmySays: It's one yard. Go for it instead of trying a difficult 51-yard field goal. Right call.

Week 15: 4th and 3 from the Ravens’ 39-yard line, 8:05 left in the third quarter, Eagles trailing 20-14.

Wentz throws incomplete to Burton. Ravens proceed to go 3-and-out.

#JimmySays: At the 39-yard line, again, you're in no-man's land. Pederson correctly opts not to punt.

Week 15: 4th and 2 from the Ravens’ 34-yard line, 7:49 left in the game, Eagles trailing 27-17.

Eagles try an end-around to Agholor, who has a clear path to a first down but runs out of bounds short of the sticks for a gain of 1.

#JimmySays: Again, correct call, especially down two scores, and the players were in a position with a good play call to convert, but Agholor did not execute.

Week 16: 4th and Goal from the Giants’ 1-yard line, 1:18 left in the third quarter, Eagles leading 21-16.

Eagles try Mathews up the middle, but he’s stuffed for a 1-yard loss.

#JimmySays: There aren't many scenarios where I wouldn't go for it on 4th and Goal inside the 1.

Week 17: 4th and 9 from the Cowboys’ 34-yard line, 5:57 left in the first half, Eagles trailing 10-3.

Wentz pass falls incomplete to Trey Burton.

#JimmySays: In a game of meaning, I'd attempt a field goal here on 4th and 9 instead of going for it. But with the season over, what the hell.

So, in conclusion, I'm personally on board with about 95 percent of the fourth down calls in which Pederson went for it last season. Pederson's aggression on fourth down a season ago should be applauded, not knocked.

I love Doug Pederson's aggressiveness. He's doing everything we were promised the Great Charlatan and Swindler C*** K**** promised.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The Eagles released Allen Barbe.

Except they didn't and instead he got traded to the Broncos for a conditional 7th round pick.

Feel the excitement of Howie Roseman's Lazy River!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. While I agree that if all NFL players were put in a single draft pool, Carson Wentz would be the consensus #1 pick, it's only his second year. This is most likely not the year he wins his first of many Super Bowls.

Correct. This is the year we go 18-1.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20199657/nfl-teams-likely-improve-decline-2017-season-bill-barnwell-pythagorean-expectation

Bill Barnwell posted:

4. Philadelphia Eagles (7-9)

Point differential: +36
Pythagorean expectation: 9.0 wins
Record in games decided by seven points or less: 1-8 (.111)
Strength of schedule: 0.544 (Toughest in the NFL)

No team has a better stat-nerd case for jumping into the postseason in 2017 than the Eagles. Advanced metrics suggest Doug Pederson's team was already playoff-caliber last season; the Eagles finished fourth in DVOA (just ahead of the Steelers) and had the sixth-best point differential in the NFC, which should have been enough to push them into a wild-card spot.

Instead, the Eagles became one of five teams in 2016 to post a losing record despite a positive point differential, which is a particularly weird feat because it hadn't happened once in the league across either of the previous two campaigns. Philadelphia's gap between expected wins and actual wins was the largest of those five, owing to that 1-8 record in games decided by a touchdown.

Carson Wentz & Co. had a serious shot at winning several of those games. They fumbled late with the lead while running out the clock against a Detroit team out of timeouts. They stalled in the red zone on their final drives against the Giants and Washington. Pederson chose to go for two after a late Wentz touchdown pass made it 28-27 against Baltimore and the Eagles didn't convert. They lost in overtime to the Cowboys when Dallas won the coin toss and scored a touchdown.
Philadelphia brought in wide receiver Alshon Jeffery on a one-year flier in March. Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports

Those are five good teams, and indeed, the Eagles also had a few impressive victories. They blew out the Steelers by 31 points in Week 3. Jim Schwartz's defense shut down the league's best offense in a 24-15 victory over the Falcons. And they beat a playoff-bound Giants team in Week 16, although their win over the Cowboys in Week 17 was over a group of backups.

Philadelphia started the season against a pair of cupcakes, Chicago and Cleveland, but its schedule from that point forward was brutally difficult. I have them with the league's toughest schedule, while Football Outsiders pegs them for No. 2. Either way, it was rough. FPI believes the Eagles' schedule will be right around the league average this season, which should be markedly easier.

The obvious place for general manager Howie Roseman to invest this offseason was at wide receiver, and the Eagles did just that. Buying low on Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith gives Philadelphia a pair of useful weapons who should have plenty of life in their legs. Suddenly, with Jeffery, Smith, Jordan Matthews, Zach Ertz and Darren Sproles, Wentz has several viable targets. Those guys will have to stay healthy, but Wentz might never have to throw a pass to Nelson Agholor again, and that alone should satisfy Eagles fans.

Many observers are expecting a breakout sophomore campaign from Wentz, who got out to a hot start before struggling mightily after Philadelphia's Week 4 bye. The rookie got into a distressing habit of sailing passes over the middle, leading to tipped reception attempts and easy picks. The new wideouts will help matters, if only because teams will actually be worried about Jeffery and Smith beating their cornerbacks if left one-on-one on the outside.
Right tackle Lane Johnson has proven to be an important piece of the Eagles' success. Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports

Another subtler factor will be the return of Lane Johnson, who missed 10 games after a PED suspension. Some of this owes to the quirks of scheduling, but Wentz was a totally different player with his star right tackle on the field. With Johnson up front, the rookie quarterback posted a 72.3 QBR and a 97.5 passer rating. While Johnson was sidelined, though, Wentz could muster only a 48.5 QBR and 70.2 passer rating. Having your best players on the field helps.

Comebacks: Wentz has gotten plenty of positive reviews for his performance as a rookie, but the numbers suggest he was pretty bad. Wentz finished with a 52.8 QBR, which was 26th in the league and below Brock Osweiler. His 5.1 ANY/A was 27th in the league, which nestled him between Blake Bortles and Case Keenum. Wentz's average pass traveled just 7.3 yards in the air, which ranked 26th. You can get a sense of his neighborhood as a rookie. I suspect Wentz will improve in his second season, but there's also a chance the numbers are right and Wentz is a fringe-average passer.

Furthermore, the NFC East is a tough place to make a living these days. Even if the Cowboys and Giants regress some, the East was the only division in the league to deliver four teams with a positive point differential last season.

I'd also be worried about how the Eagles match up against their rivals, given that they are as thin as any team in the league at cornerback. Philadelphia used a pair of mid-round picks on cornerbacks, but Sidney Jones is recovering from a torn Achilles and is really a selection for 2018 and beyond. The veteran trio of Jalen Mills, Patrick Robinson, and Ron Brooks will end up covering players like Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham Jr., and Terrelle Pryor this season. That's going to be a weekly mismatch.

18-1 is real.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

No one is running the table in the NFCE

18-1

:colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

The Eagles also had maybe the most hosed up schedule ever last year.

Week 4 Bye Week.

Then, they faced 3 teams fresh off their bye week 3 weeks in a row.

I just ordered $250 worth of Eagles merch for my birthday present.

18-1

:colbert:

YES! Congratulations on joining the 18-1 bandwagon!

:bandwagon:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wish I could have the pie-eyed optimism of eagles goons.

This also comes with soul-crushing despair if things deviate even slightly from our insane dreams.

Most Philly goons know that the Eagles will never win a Superbowl

Also this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah I assume Jason Peters will explode into pixie dust around Week 5 and that Lane Johnson will get caught with Deer Antler Spray around Week 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

No way poo poo on the Skins all y'all want but the one thing that is constant is that the Skins have owned the poo poo out of us since that first Monday Night game of the Era of Which We Shall Not Speak.

They'll sweep us once again.

• Locked thread