Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Present Day, ???

A light hangs in the midst of a dark room. You are all sitting around a round table with a figure cloaked in shadows.

"So, you're The Fearsome Five? I've gotta admit, you aren't exactly what I was expecting. That said, I didn't bring you here for looks. Let's get down to brass tacks. I want you all to tell me exactly what went down two weeks ago in Summitview. We've all heard the bullshit they're spewing on Disney -- Disney! -- of all places, but I'm no idiot. There's gotta be more."

---

Since this is a (potentially embellished) retelling of events, you all have access to the following move:

Hindsight is 20/20

When you roll a 6- during this scene, you may choose to re-roll. You do not mark potential if you do. You may only do this once.

---

Two Weeks Earlier, Summitview

You are all going about your daily business when your communicators, helpfully provided by Showstopper, go off. Channel 15 News has reported all sorts of villains appearing out of nowhere across town. Nobody really knows what's going on, but one thing is for sure. Summitview needs heroes now more than ever. They need The Fearsome Five!

Everyone: What are you doing when the attacks start? What Z-List villain do you totally wreck on your way to meet up with the rest of the team?

Alleycat: Well, poo poo. Today was the day you promised to take Dawn around town. What are you going to do with her? The town isn't going to save itself, hero!

Mystia: How are you feeling? Do you think you can stop all these guys without leveling the rest of the town? What villain do you see that Magica has warned you about?

All American Girl: Well, looks like you need to rally the troops and come up with a plan! Where are you going to meet -- and what's the plan when you all get there? It sounds like a warzone out there! Got enough ammo?

Tundra: Wow, talk about pressure. This is definitely going to be a tough fight. You got that big talk from Annalena and Holly a few days ago, right? What was that about?

Showstopper: You had a lead on a gig today, right? That's... probably not going to happen. You made an important connection, though, so how's that going to help you?

OOC Thread
Influence Sheet

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Dan: +1| Fre: +2 | Sav: 0 | Sup: 0 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

Mystia was slightly amused by the figure cloaked in shadows. Oh if only he knew how screwed up her powers were, he'd probably be singing a different tune. Still, she sat there silently, occasionally chuckling here and there. Her powers didn't seem to be manifesting at the moment, which was probably a good thing. She didn't want to ruin the moment by having a chair suddenly get thrown into a wall. She clutched her book to her chest, feeling the magical energy from it resonating with her own powers.

"Are you sure you want to here more?" Mystia asked, her signature chuckle rattling through the air. "Hehehe. Sometimes, the truth is uhhhh better left unknown."

Honestly, it probably wasn't as bad as Mystia was making it out to be. She mostly did it to get a reaction out of the man. Since she had put a stronger lock down on her emotions, she had enjoyed needling others. One of the keychains that Mystia put on her communicator started to float in the air, to which Mystia payed no attention to. She looked straight at the man in the shadows and then around the table before shrugging.

"Oh well, it's your funeral. I might as well start if no one else will. Hehehe."

- - - - -

I was spending time in the forest again. It's a good place to be when I uhhhh wanted to be alone, especially since the stories of "The Summitville Wicker Man" started spreading around town. Then again, weird stuff has been happening when I've been there. One time, cold water suddenly got dripped on my back and it my magic to fling all the leaves on the ground into the air. Maybe the Wicker Man does exist, but uhhh I'm not that scared by it. Maybe I'm just reckless that way. I probably am. Hehehe. In any case, I don't have to worry too much about losing control of my powers in there. Sure, I'd occasionally cause a tree to fall, but uhhhh that's better than accidentally breaking a window and having to worry about paying for it.

Oh, I'm going on a bit of a tangent again. Sorry. Hehehe.

In any case, uhhh, the communicator started ringing and going on about all these villains in town so I decided to head there I guess. Not really much else I have going on in my day. I''m a bit of a loser. Hehehe. Oh yeah, on my way to the main action, I uhh came across some loser who thought they were being a villain. Man, I'm having a hard time remembering her name because she was so lame. Hehehe. Uhhhh, what was her name? Oh! I think it was like Nitro Girl or something. She tried to attack me and I may have launched her with my powers. I'm not sure where, but it, uhhhh, was certainly a long fall. Hehehe. It did slightly annoy me since it delayed me from getting to the action.

I'm not going to lie, there were quite a few villains running around. I was, uhhh, feeling sorta scared. Moreso about my powers than anything else. I, uhhh, don't want to destroy the town. I mean, my powers probably could stop them if I went all out, but that would be a bad idea for multiple reasons. No sense in me doing that just yet. Hehehe. I could feel myself starting to panic a little, so I practiced some deep breathing exercises. Breathe in, breathe out. I could feel the calm coming back just as I look up to see Lichthos. Uhhhh what was he doing here? He was supposed to be one of the villains in Halcyon City that Magica was going after. He apparently was way too into dead things and thus took up Necromancy. Turns out he was good at it. When I think about it, it makes sense since he has about as much personality as a dead body. Hehehe.

But yeah, seeing him here was not good. He uhhh really didn't like living things. Shocker, I know. I tried to get my composure as I made an attempt to scout the area. Unfortunately, there were a lot of people running around everywhere and the villains were doing there own thing as well. It, uhhh, basically was a mess. Almost like myself. Hehehe.

"Uhhh guys, I might need a bit of help making sense of all this chaos." I said into the speakers, looking around more frantically to find the team. Being stuck in a mess while trying not to have my powers explode around me was uhhhh not fun. In fact, it sucked.

<jimmydalad> I'm going to do a hilariously bad thing and try to have Mystia assess the situation
<jimmydalad> !roll 2d6
<Krysmbot> jimmydalad, 6 = 6

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 18, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dan: 0| Fre: -1 | Sav: 1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: 3 | Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: -

[[ Two weeks earlier, Summitview, Dalton residence ]]

"Aw, crap!" Dawn and I are about to get on our bikes when my communicator blows up like crazy: something's going down, and it looks pretty big! Noooooo.... I'd had such a good day planned out for us! I was gonna buy her an ice cream for doing so well on her mid-terms! Plus, everyone's in danger! Plus, now I have to give her a quarter for swearing!

It takes a bit of doing to convince Dawn that no, this isn't 'cool', it's actually super-dangerous and no, she's not allowed to come along, because it's actually super-dangeorus! She really wants to be my sidekick. Her heart's in the right place so it's not like I'm mad about it, but she's in the sixth grade and that's just not gonna fly. If she can't understand why I'm not okay with her going, she's definitely not ready to actually head out there with me. In the end, the only way I can get her to agree to stay home and safe is by promising her I'll ask Showstopper if she can get a communicator too, and the only reason I agree is 'cause I'm sure he'd feel the same way about it I do.

Plus I have to buy her a double-scoop ice cream cone when we finally do get to go out. Man. Keeping Dawn happy is gonna make me flat broke.

Turns out I'm lucky I got her to stay, 'cause just as I'm skidding my bike onto the main road (yeah, I need a better mode of transportation, but this is the best I've got), I nearly plow into Ruby Red putting up gemlight walls to try and block the street. Her weird ruby shield lets her reflect light through it to create barriers using a technique she calls 'gemlight', which is actually pretty cool if she weren't committed to using them for evil to be a pain in the neck. She's not too threatening -- not by herself, anyway -- so I'm really surprised that she's over here without any backup?

Anyway, I do a really cool skid to the side, just barely juking out of the way of a wall she's put up, and I use my bike's momentum to launch myself into the air, smashing my heels into her gem shield with all my might, and there's an awesomely loud *KRRRSHHT!* like breaking glass as a huge crack shows up in its face, splitting from the force of my impact. It was so rad and I'm really upset nobody saw it except her, because she didn't think it was rad at all. Breaking her gemshield took out all the walls she'd put up, and she let out a really hideous shriek as she ran off -- I guess to figure out what she should do now. If I'd had more time I would've tried to catch her, but it was just then when I heard Mystia over the communicator and I knew I didn't have time to screw around.

I recover my bike (it's no worse for wear) and start pedaling like crazy toward the center of town, keeping a sharp eye out for trouble on the way. "I'm on my way," I call into the comm, trying to sound super-confident. "Where're you at, Mystia?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

So, this was my first mission as the leader of the Fearsome Five! I'm not ashamed to admit, I wasn't entirely confident that I was up to it, I mean, I was definitely the best choice, but... It's a lot of responsibility, you know? Anyway, you'll hear how it went soon enough.

[[two weeks ago]]

I really need a bike. Or a drivers license. Or... anything but a skateboard. This is not the best way to get around the city fast! At least it's mostly flat. When the call went in, I rushed to the nearest bathroom to change into my outfit, then hopped on my skateboard and set out, kicking off the ground again and again to go faster and faster, weaving through the pedestrians. Luckily, I didn't hit anyone - that is, I didn't hit anyone until I ran into DEEP CHILL. Literally, in this case.

I saw him freezing his way along one of the little mom and pop storefronts, and before he spotted me, I popped my skateboard up, ground along a railing. He heard, and turned to see, me coming at this point, but when he pointed his ice blasters at me to start the freeze I jumped again, so the skateboard took the freezing blast, and planted the now frozen board right in his stupid masked face, then whacked him on the head with my (sheathed) sword to finish the job. I took enough time to goo his hands up, then called in a villain pickup on his spot and headed off again.

See, the thing about DEEP CHILL is that his ice powers are really strong, but they're focused, so he can only target one thing, or person, at a time, and since I caught him off guard he didn't have a chance to properly target me. Thus intelligence and skill wins the day over excessive power every day of the week. As I skate away, going a lot slower now as the board thaws, I use the communicator to indicate we're all meeting up at Town Square to plan things out.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak: 0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +3 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +1

I was just minding my own business (that business saving the Clement's cat from the tree branch, again... how does it KEEP getting stuck up there?!) When suddenly there's just, stuff happening all over the city! And AAG ordered us to meet up in the Town Square, so I hop over the buildings, going there as fast as I can!

My mind was kind of elsewhere, though. See, Mom and Grandma showed up out of the blue, and they were like "If you don't screw up too hard in the next few months, Mom would take me over to the city and let me work with her as her apprentice! Yaaay! Even Grandma was supportive of it. I think anyway. She was muttering a bit under her breath but I didn't really listen!

Anyway, I was so lost in thought I kind of... didn't notice The Nobleman.

Oh, you haven't heard of him yet? Huh, that's weird. He's like, super famous! Or so he told me the last time we met. His power is the brilliant power of nobility! It's soooo cool. I mean, I don't actually know what it does, but whatever!

So I kinda... jumped into him. From the back. He fell from the roof he was standing on, and fell onto a lantern post and got knocked out. Uhm... Oops?

After making sure he was okay, I moved on to meet the team. The rooftop perspective gave me a decent look at the town though, and what needed our attention.

Uh... probably, anyway.

Assess the Situation: 2d6 8 What here is in the greatest danger?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Freak: 1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: 2 | Mun: +1

I lean back in my chair, rocking back and forth on two legs and listening to everyone tell their version of what happened. Man, this is a real drag! I had plans today. Well... I was just going to practice guitar, but that's important! When it gets to my turn, I say, "Well, for me, you could say that this whole shitshow started out a little personal."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in a pretty foul mood because I'd finally found some some real, no poo poo musicians to play with. I couldn't believe my luck, because lately, almost all of the people that were showing up to answer my ads were just people who wanted to meet a superhero. Peter, the drummer, Haley was lead vocals, and some weirdo who just went by M on bass. We only rehearsed three times before this, and we were gonna be opening for Burning Pit, a mediocre band coming out here to try out some new material. Of course, they were coming from Halcyon City, so that itself was news. Apparently, they requested that I, specifically, get some people to open for them. Not sure how they heard about me. Good to hear that there's starting to be some buzz about me in the city.

So, when I'm on the way to the REAL action, I'm already plenty mad when I run into Prism. He's a hefty guy who claims he's got absolute mastery over glass, but I've never seen him do anything more than break a few windows or throw some beer bottles before. Today, he's got a nice pile of glass in front of him that, from the smell, he probably went dumpster diving all day for. I get a nasty grin on my face as he starts to monologue to me about how the town will fear his might and blah blah blah. Then, I let out a power cord, shattering all the glass to dust and then calmly jogging past him. The guy's just staring down in disbelief.

Seriously, wish I'd taken a picture. It was priceless.

That's when I hear All American Girl say that we're all meeting up at town square. I shrug, figure that's as good a plan as any, and then head that way.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Flashback, Continued

You arrive at the town square, perhaps a little scuffed up, but otherwise none the worse for wear. The sight that greets you? Not, uh, not so great. There are just all sorts of undead critters clawing their way out from under the pavement and some douchebag in his best evil wizard get-up chanting in some dark, forgotten tongue. Guess those stories about Summitview being built on a mass grave were true, huh?

Everyone: Well, poo poo. This looks kind of bad. How confident do you feel in a giant melee? Any ideas to even the odds? Those other guys, what were they going by, the Justice Friends? What do you think they're off doing right now?

Mystia: Oh, no. You can feel your cool slipping away. This is all too much to handle right now. The magic is surging inside you, eager to flow forth and work its will on the world. What did you see Lichthos do that really got you off balance?

Mark a condition of your choice and tell me how that manifests via your powers to make the situation worse.

What do you do?

Alleycat: Wizards? Skeletons? Zombies? This is getting kind of heavy! What weird thing did you learn about magic from hanging out with Mystia and Tundra? How do you think it's going to help?

What do you do?

All-American Girl: What's the plan, chief? Tundra and Mystia are your big guns, but can you really trust them to control their power? What do you think you can really do with a gun and a sword? There's gotta be hundreds of them out there!

What do you do?

Tundra: What surprising thing did The Nobleman whisper to you just before you headed on? Do you recognize that guy in the wizard costume? What do magical girls think of necromancers, anyways?

quote:

What here is in the greatest danger? Well, it looks like a bunch of people started holing up in the Town Hall when the attack started. They boarded up most of the ground-level doors and windows, but there's a lot of monsters out there. You're going to need to draw their attention or they'll break through sooner than later.

What do you do?

Showstopper: Well, at least there are going to be a lot of targets to vent on. Do you really want to wait for All-American Girl's plan? Why are things a little tense between you two lately? What new gadget do you have that's sure to help?

What do you do?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm about to coast into the town square when --

"Ohmigod!"

-- some kind of grasping limb, sneaking out from a crack in the pavement I'm positive wasn't there last week, tries to snag a hold of my tire! And what's worse, it's not the only one -- looks like the entire area's just crawling with more dead guys than a re-enactment of Thriller. I hop off my bike and jog the rest of the distance to meet up with the group. I hope it doesn't get cratered while we deal with this mess. Buying a new one is way out of my budget right now.

I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty scary. And also maybe the grossest thing I've ever seen. Like, you see zombies on TV and in the movies and sure, they look pretty icky, but it's an entirely different thing when you know it's not just latex and make-up, and that the guts and black stuff are actually real guts and real black stuff! But Alleycat wouldn't be intimidated, 'cause he's super-cool and doesn't let anything get in the way of saving the city. I look at the other members of the Five, too: are they afraid? Why would they be? So I guess I won't be either.

This is definitely what I'd call a Pretty Big Deal, though, and I can't help wondering where those other guys are. The -- Justice Friends, I think they called themselves, which is a pretty silly name, but I'd think they'd be around here too. Maybe Necro-Face over there did something to them already?! That's scary, if it's true. Thankfully, now that I have Tundra and Mystia around, I'm not as completely clueless about magic as I used to be, and I've picked up a few things about how they use it. (Not that I can use it myself or anything, that's crazy, just how other people do.) Even though they're both pretty different, one thing I've learned is that concentration, or at least focus, is pretty important.

I wonder if I can tell what this creep's trying to do if I watch him closely? He's probably not just raising all these spooky scary skeletons for the fun of it. Maybe I can find some kind of pattern in where he's calling them up from, or what they're headed towards... Just what is this guy's deal, anyway?

Pierce Necro-douche's Mask: 2d6+3 12
Asking: "What do you intend to do?"; "What are you really planning?"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

Uhhh yeah, as I was saying. This totally was not a good situation. You could almost say it was a disaster when we arrived. Almost as much of a disaster as myself. Hehehe. Still, I managed to make it to the meeting point, somehow. I mean, uhhh, it was so hectic. People were everywhere, as were skeletons, ghouls and all sorts of evil creatures. It wasn't fun and Lichtos was going on a rampage and I swear there were times where I could feel my power just wanting to claw out of me. Uhhhh, yeah. turns out having uncontrollable power sucks, who knew? Hehehe.

I managed to meet up with the others in the town square and things are not looking great as I said before. Clinging onto my book for dear life, I, uhh, gravitated in the direction of the group. I did see Alleycat have his bike get stolen by the zombies. That was pretty funny. I remember chuckling to myself about it at the very least. Oh yeah, I, uhhh, probably should tell everyone who this guy is.

"Soooo, yeah, uhhh, apparently Lichtos is here. I, uhhh, don't want to scare anyone, but he's sorta one of Magica's main rivals in Halcyon City. He's a bit of a big deal. Hehehe." I informed the team, my laugh coming out a bit forced. I mean, it's hard to laugh when you're facing someone your idol/mentor/whatever my relationship with Magica is considers a rival. I mean, true he's only one against our six, but uhhh I don't think he's kidding around. I mean, there were more villains in town which the Justice Friends were probably dealing with. Uhhh, can I just quickly say that "Justice Friends" is a really dumb name? Like, it's nowhere near as cool as Fearsome Five. Hehehe. Gotta give kudos to Showstopper for that.

"So, uhhh, my powers could possibly turn the fight in our favour. A little bit. I mean, I do have a lot of magic an-" I stop when I turn to Lichtos and see what he's doing.

Uhhhh, yeah, Necromancers can suck the life out of people. Did you not know that? Yeah, I didn't either until that day. I mean, he was just sucking the life out of some innocent bystanders and, uhhh, I didn't have the best reaction to that. The color drained from my face and I can feel the fear start bubbling through my system. Uhhh, this wasn't going to be good. Immediately, my powers started to flare out, ripping out post boxes, trees and other objects in the general vicinity and starting to form a cyclone around me. Nononono this was not good. My powers, uhhh, don't do well when I don't have control of them. In that situation, though, I couldn't wrestle back the fear that exploded through me. Like, I think it hit me just who we were dealing with.

"Oh god." I muttered to myself in shock, eyes wide in the direction of Lichtos.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Am I gonna wait for All American to come up with a plan when there's a mess of zombies trashing the place? Of course not! And not just because she's been on my case lately about how I've been spending too much time practicing and getting a band together to do all the superhero stuff she wants me to do! There's a lot of work that needs to get done, and if she comes up with a good plan, then fine!

But, in the meantime, I got one of my own!

I toss a portable speaker out into a crowd of the zombies and start jamming, getting them to group up near it, then yell, "Tundra! Mystia! One of you's gotta be around here! I grouped up the pins, so knock 'em down!"

<CorpseFalcon> Unleash powers to group up zombies
<CorpseFalcon> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> CorpseFalcon, 6+1 = 7

It's temporary.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

What can a gun and a sword do against undead? A lot! C'mon now, this is basic stuff here! On the way into the town square, I cut the heads off two zombies as I skate by, leaving the heads chomping pointlessly at the concrete while the bodies collapse in heaps. I avoid the rest as I move over to one of the large fountains, and climb up that to stay out of reach for the others until everyone else gets here. It doesn't take long, since we've got a pretty good group, but the second he gets here, Showstopper doesn't even bother to check in, and instead just starts drawing a big horde of the undead together in one spot. Well, it isn't a bad plan, really. Since Tundra isn't here, I turn to the other magic user on the team. Who is freaking out, her powers starting to tear things up around her. Hmm. That's looking pretty nasty!

"Mystia! Can you fly over that group Showstopper's pulling!" I want to get that cyclone thing away from us! And if it tears through them, even better. While that happens, time for a plan. "Right, Alleycat, you seeing anything?" He's been looking contemplatively at the area, and he's pretty sharp, so there might be something big there. "Unless it's big... You and me are going to cut out way right towards Lichthos, to save those civvies. Mystia, you see any big clumps, I want you to shell them out of existence, and work your way towards Town Hall, we don't want to let them get in there. Showstopper, you head that way too, try to make any groups bigger ones for Mystia, and maybe you can distract the ones outside Town Hall with some illusions? I don't know if they'd work on zombies... I'll work Tundra in once she shows up."

The enemies we've got are nice, because for one thing, I don't have to worry about using some of my more dangerous bullets. I start to pull out a specific set, then pause. Better not, even against zombies, until Tundra gets here, I don't want to set the town on fire. I slip them away, and load up with a tranquilizer bullet instead, fitting it into the top chamber of my revolver. Taking careful aim from the top of the fountain, I fire the shot off towards Lichthos. Weirdo undead magician like he is, I doubt it'll put him out of the fight, but getting shot should distract him from attacking those civilians.

[21:44:22] <GhostFish> defend civvies from lichthos
[21:44:24] <GhostFish> !r 2d6+2
[21:44:25] <Krysmbot> GhostFish, 4+2 = 6
[21:44:28] <GhostFish> lol

I line up the shot, aim carefully, and am about to pull the trigger when a zombie reaches up from inside the fountain, clawing at my leg. Ohshit! (ps someone spend team please~)

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 21, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Oh, there she is! And she's going along with the plan! Good to know that she's not being petty either!

But what is a killer is that she's about to get jumped by zombies while she's taking a shot! Stopping playing only for a moment, I run over and then bash the zombie in the head! I get right back to playing and yell, "All yours, All American!"

spending a team to boost to 7

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The Nobleman whispers "Watch out for Lichtos... He wants to get to the secret floor of the town hall..." as I check up on him. Huh. That's kinda weird. But Lichtos? Now that's a name I remember. Mom fought him a lot! He's like, a necromancer. And that's bad! You don't just do that to dead people! It's so mean.

Jumping over another house, I arrive at the scene!

"Hey guys! Sorry for being late, I'm here now!"

Summing up my staff with a raised arm, I reinforce the defenses by surrounding the town hall in a wall of ice. That'll get their attention! If they can't go through there, they have to go fight us first. And we're awesome! No way we'll lose!

"Watch out, by the way! Lichtos REALLY wants something from inside the town hall. It's his goal!"

Defending Town Hall: 2d6+3 12 Adding a team to the pool.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Flashback, Continued Again!

The tornado of debris has formed around Mystia. It's started sucking up assorted undead that get too close, but that just leads to them shooting out at high speeds! Meanwhile, the portable speakers that Showstopper are using are doing a great job of grouping up zombies away from Town Hall -- giving Tundra the perfect opportunity to put a wall of ice between the zombie horde and the building. All-American Girl's shot goes just wide, but puts a neat hole in the side of Lichtos' hood. He roars in rage, whirls away from the group of civilians, and starts stomping towards All-American Girl.

Alleycat: This guy is a total nutjob, but you're able to pick out a few tells that reveal a lot about what he's really up to. Are there any stories about what's under Town Hall?

quote:

What do you intend to do? He wants to rule the world! Well, more immediately he intends to plunder the arcane secrets hidden in the secret basement of town hall. He doesn't exactly know what's down there, but it's supposed to be powerful.

What are you really planning? Lichtos is focused on causing a lot of chaos around town -- it's why he's gathered such a menagerie of villains and that undead horde. When everyone is distracted? He'll sneak into Town Hall to secure his prize.

What do you do?

Mystia: Okay, breathe deeply! Focus! You're safe for the moment, but if you don't get that cyclone under control things might get dicey.

What do you do?

Showstopper: The speakers sizzle and die, but they seem to have done the job. What's next on your set-list?

What do you do?

All-American Girl: Sizzling bolts of green energy fly your way -- you dodge most of them, but one nails you in the shoulder! Looks like Lichtos is definitely focusing his attention on you!

Take a Powerful Blow.

What do you do?

Tundra: Success! That was some Grade-A ice magic. Now that Town Hall seems safe, what are you going to do about all these zombies? Have you fought the undead before?

What do you do?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Guilty

Sooo, uhhh, yeah. Back to me having a cyclonic panic attack. Hehehe. So, I get the orders from Miss Masochist over there and realise that I need to get this cyclone back under control. I mean, I can see the zombies and stuff being thrown into walls and doors and everything. Yeah, I need to get this cyclone in control if I don't want to have damage costs through the roof. I'm not sure I'd be able to afford that. Hehehe.

In any case, I tried to get it under control and-

- - - - -

At this point, Mystia stops herself and bites her tongue. She looks pensive for a moment, as if trying to think about how to approach what she has to say next. Maybe she was having trouble remembering what happened? She looked up at the others, trying to gauge their reactions about how they were going to go ahead with telling this story. She thought to herself that maybe it was best to stretch the truth a little.

- - - - -

it took some work, but I was uhhhh totally able to get that cyclone under control. I mean, it took some effort. Not like I can just suddenly wrestle my powers back under control with a click of my fingers. Imagine how much easier my life would be if that were the case. I wouldn't need to be a hero. Hehehe. I had to put a lot of energy into it. So, uhhh, I took out my book and it began to dramatically unfurl as I held my arm out and willed it back under my control. Uhhh, it turns out after messing up so much, you sorta learn how to gain some semblance of control. Who knew? Hehehe. With the amount of energy it took, it did tire me out a little. Also, I couldn't help but feel bad about my powers. Like, if I had them under control, it would make the team's life so much easier.

After some time, I managed to uhhh feel the cyclone inside me? It's hard to describe how I feel when I have control of my powers. It's, uhhh, weird. Still, I managed to slightly decrease the size of it, so that it didn't destroy the entire area. Which it totally could do if I felt like it. Hehehe. But yeah, managed to get it back under my control and then send it in the direction that All American Girl ordered me too. See, even with my crazy, uncontrollable powers, I can still totally help the team. Hehehe.

<jimmydaladphone> Unleashing Mystia's powers to control the storm
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> jimmydaladphone, 3+2 = 5

<jimmydaladphone> Actually, screw that roll, rerolling mystias unleash powers
<jimmydaladphone> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> jimmydaladphone, 7+2 = 9
Marking Guilty to make it permenant

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty

"Great start Tundra!" She grasped the situation right away. I don't know why he wants something from Town Hall, but we need to protect it because of all the people in it anyway. "Thanks Showstopper!" Phew, that was close! With the undead at my feet taken care of, I'm free to fire off my shot! Yes! Mission accomplis-ah!

[17:10:58] <GhostFish> All American Girl, take the blow!
[17:11:00] <GhostFish> !r 2d6
[17:11:00] <Krysmbot> GhostFish, 7 = 7
Will take Angry and Guilty

"Ow! That Fff-reaking hurts!" I crouch down behind the fountain's uh... spout thing... and grab the place it hit on my shoulder with a grimace. That REALLY burns! Where does he get off doing all this? Attack civiliains and raising hordes of undead? Wait if his undead bite you will you turn into more, or will the just tear you apart actually who cares either way is terrible, and he's terrible! I'm gonna get Lichtos for that! Just as soon as these green energy blasts stop zipping right by my cover, I don't want to get hit by another one of those!

But as I'm crouching there, it occurs to me that there was a petty good chance that if I'd hit him (or even if I hadn't like just now but he reacted differently, like, say, got angry, or kind of spacey like you might from a tranquilizer) he might have started blasting these things at the civilians he was attacking! Sure it hurts like heck for me, but I have practice getting hit by magical attacks! And if he gets bored of missing me, he'll totally go back to frying those guys, I can't just sit here hiding! Steeling my resolve, I stand up sharply, keeping most of the fountain between him and me, and aim and fire again, this time shooting two holy bullets (bullets soaked in holy water, look, you can buy literally anything) at him, while the magical bursts rain around me. See how this as-butt likes that! I'm gonna save those people, who cares if he hits me with more magical bursts, a couple of holy bullets in and him and his necromantic powers shouldn't be so strong!

[23:29:49] <GhostFish> suck it lichtos!
[23:29:52] <GhostFish> !r 2d6+2
[23:29:52] <Krysmbot> GhostFish, 11+2 = 13
[23:30:01] <GhostFish> eat holy bullets necrojerk!
taking away (some) of lichtos' necromantic powers!
and resist/avoiding his blows

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

Hah! Magical Girl Frosty Tundra saving the day! From a necromancer, no less! Those are like, the worst kinda wizards! And most are pretty dumb, thankfully. Way too self-sure with their boney friends! But you know, those zombies... they seem kinda angry! Wait... maybe they're just mad that their lack of dental?

Walking up to one, I go hold its mouth open and look at its teeth. Good god, they really ARE horrible. No wonder!

"Guys, maybe these zombies just really want some dental service! I mean, look at these teeth!" I tell em, showcasing said zombie as it tries to claw at me ineffectively.

Someone else then grabs my arm and starts gnawing at it! Well, they're trying, I think. not like they can go past my magical barrier. Uh... I think they're actually breaking their teeth off on me. Eww.

Turning towards said zombie, I yell at it.

"Okay, stop. Its clearly not working. No, I said STOP. Goddamnit LISTEN TO ME."

Angrily, I punch the zombie.

Directly Engage Zombies: 2d6+3 6

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Well, the tornado seems to be dealing with the zombies, so I'm gonna back up All American Girl! While she's letting lead fly, I stand behind a car and, using a sonic blast from my guitar, let it fly right towards the loser!

<CorpseFalcon> Engage Directly
<CorpseFalcon> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> CorpseFalcon, 9 = 9

Make an opening

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Okayokayokay! A plan, I guess! Everything's getting to be a mess real quick, this really isn't as cool as the movies make it look.

"You guys!" I shout at the top of my lungs -- I'm not sure if the whirlwinds from Mystia's tornado are making my voice carry to everyone or making it go unheard, but all I can do is hope! "If this jerk gets into the town hall, it's over! So whatever you do, don't let that happen!"

Easier said than done though, right?! There's zombies everywhere, winds hard enough to nearly throw off my hood...

Tundra! She seems like she's trying to do something, but I think she's getting surrounded. She probably needs me to get these things off her so she can unleash some kind of badass ice assault, and I don't think her own punches are going to do enough. "Tundra! I've got your back!" I call to her, and pounce into action, letting fly with fists and kicks to try and keep Tundra safe!

Defend Tundra!: 2d6+1 8
Adding a Team to the pool & exposing myself to danger

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Flashback, Part 3!

The cyclone sweeps through the main stretch of the zombie horde and Mystia's gambit seems to have worked! The zombies aren't shooting out in random directions any more -- the winds seem to keep sucking them in.

Meanwhile, Tundra leaps into action! ...and is almost pulled under a pile of zombies. Whoops. Luckily Alleycat was there with the save to help pull her out of the zombie dog-pile, even though he took a few bites and scratches along the way.

All-American Girl and Showstopper turn their attention to Lichthos and unleash a barrage of bullets and soundwaves! The dark wizard roars in pain and frustration as he's hammered by the combination. His staff takes a magic-dampening bullet and is nearly snapped in half! He looks distinctly unhappy about this turn of events as he sends a much less refined-looking blast through the ice around Town Hall and snaps his fingers. The zombies immediately start glowing with some sort of dark energy as he vanishes within. One of them pops in an explosive display of green energy. Uh oh.

Lichthos marks Angry and Afraid.

Everyone except Mystia: Yeah, all those zombies look ready to explode. Probably won't do that much damage individually, but there are a lot of them. What do you do?

If you don't give ground to retreat from the zombie horde or otherwise deal with the threat of exploding zombies during your post, Take a Powerful Blow from the explosions.

Mystia: Nice work with the cyclone! It's keeping you safe from the threat of exploding zombies, so you're in a perfect position to do whatever you think is best. What do you think you're going to find under Town Hall? What about your friends?

What do you do?

All-American Girl: Nice shot, kid! That was one in a... well, you get the idea. He definitely seems to be weakened without his staff. What are you going to do now? Fight off the explosive zombies? Pursue Lichthos?

What do you do?

Tundra: Whoops! Good thing Alleycat was there to rescue you. How does it feel to be the rescuee rather than the rescuer? Any ideas for dealing with the giant horde of now-explosive zombies? What about Lichthos?

What do you do?

Showstopper: A zombie snuck up on you while you were jamming out and sucker-punched you! Ouch! Nice work on the combo with AAG, though! What are you going to do about Lichthos now? And, uh, that zombie is still behind you and ready to explode.

Take a Powerful Blow.

What do you do?

Alleycat: Whoah, yeah, they are definitely even grosser up close. Especially when the biting and scratching starts! Might want to get those looked at. And now they explode?? How are you going to explain your injuries to people who don't know about your double life?

Take a Powerful Blow.

What do you do?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 3, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Yess, eat that necrojerk! Not so tough now without your magic stafffhoooa that's bad! Exploding zombies is several orders of magnitudely (this is a word, shut up) bad than just zombies! I glance around at the team hurriedly, and they're all about in the same position as me, though our magical department might be able to do something. Wait is Tundra... is she really? "Tundra! You're a magical girl, don't punch them, use magic!" I can't believe I have to say that. But now... about these zombombs. "Tundra, Mystia, can the two of you... I dunno double up your magic to encase all these zombies in ice before they blow up?"

Ahhh double crap Lichthos just got inside town hall! I start sprinting hard towards it, counting on my team to handle the dangerous exploding zombies. "Alleycat, Showstopper, we gotta stop him!" This applies to everyone else too really, but I'm hoping the other two will make sure the zombies don't destroy an entire city block first.

Waiting to see if team magic can pull off a hat trick before doing my roll if thats okay

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure

Ha! I almost stop to give All American Girl a high five, but that's when one of the zombombs clocks me good.

<capfalcon> take a powerful blow with showstopper
<capfalcon> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> capfalcon, 8 = 8

Taking Angry and Insecure

I yell out, more in surprise than pain (but there's a fair bit of that too), "loving hell!" On instinct, I bat the zombie back towards the horde, but that just slows down its advance.

Gallant wouldn't have gotten hit by a chump like that... poo poo, this might be getting out of hand. Stepping back from the advancing horde, I toss a few projectors over the heads of the zombies. They aren't sophisticated or anything. They're basically disks about the size of a nickle that project a static image. Sort of like a holographic cardboard stand up.

They're all of me in different poses as a frontman, of course, and since they're closer to the zombies, they'll head right for them!

<capfalcon> Unleash powers for showstopper
<capfalcon> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> capfalcon, 7+1 = 8

Let's make it unstable.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Flashback, Revived! ...Part 4!

The twisting cyclone scythes through the ranks of the soon-to-explode zombies that Showstopper helpfully congregated around his holo-projectors, sucking them skyward! Tundra follows up Mystia's lead with a barrage of freezing bolts that seem to be diffusing the remaining zombies. With the threat of explosive zombies rapidly fading under their onslaught, the magical girl and the girl with all the magic wave you towards City Hall. Lichthos awaits!

Tundra and Mystia are going to be sidelined for the moment -- ping me when you're ready to hop back in!

The next few moments are a blur as you race into City Hall. The damage has been kept to a minimum thanks to your heroics so far, so you can easily see the blasts and scorch marks that Lichthos has left behind him. The normal looking office abruptly becomes something much, much weirder as you descend down a stone passage hidden behind the remains of an elaborate painting of Summitview's founder. Aside from the musty smell of stone and earth, you hear a strange chanting from further below and see the tell-tale green glow of Lichthos's magic creeping up the hallway.

You feel yourself getting pumped up -- remove a condition or take +1 forward!

Moments later, you find yourself in an immense stone room. A large pit in the middle seems to drop down to the center of the earth, while a staircase leads to a small platform in the middle of the pit. Even without the gifts of magic that your teammates above ground possess, you can feel the power in this place. Lichthos is slowly ascending the stairs towards an object hovering above the platform. You can almost make it out...

Everyone: What do you think that object is? What's your plan for taking down the creepy halloween reject? And, perhaps most importantly, what do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

Removing Guilty

"Showstopper, language!" I chide him as the three of us run forward after Lichthos, but not too strongly, that looked like it hurt, and I don't think anyone but us could hear him over the magic, exploding zombies and car alarms. "Whoa, what the heck? Why is this even here?" These stone walls are really weird, like, okay sure a secret passage under the city hall, that's pretty strange, but why does it look like it was built a hundreds of years before the build itself? How Lichthos even find out about this? I find myself starting to slow down as I look at it, and have to remind myself we're on a time limit. "Faster!" Picking up speed, I hurtle down the stairs after him, leaping steps when I can - yeah, this is great! We're chasing him down, gonna stop it! In my enthusiasm, I forget to feel guilty about that messup earlier. Not going to be any civilians here to worry about!

Ah, he's almost there! "Hold it!" I yell out a warning to him, hoping to slow him down long enough to make this shot. I can't tell what that thing is he's heading towards, but he's almost there, and it's probably like... a portal to a dimension full of unlimited magical power, and he'll use that to become a superpowerful Mega-Lichthos or something. Not gonna let that happen! He isn't touching that... whatever it is!

This shot is seriously tricky though! Rolling to a stop at the bottom of the stairs, I aim upwards, firing a bullet at the ceiling just in front of Lichthos, so it'll richoette down - but the angle isn't good enough to go straight down, so I have to fire a second bullet that'll hit the end of the first one in just the right place to angle it perfectly straight down. If it works, the bullet -it's a special bouncing bullet - will just bounce between the step and ceiling in front of him over and over, getting faster and faster so he won't be able to step through it! Haha! And yesssss I made it! Take that Lichy~

[17:06:43] <godfish> defend whatever that thing is from Lichthos!
[17:07:04] <godfish> !r 2d6+2
[17:07:05] <Krysmbot> godfish, 9+2 = 11
Keeping it safe and I'll clear angry

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Angry

I grumble back at All American Girl, saying, "Come on. We're basically walking around on a heavy metal cover and you're chiding me for something that wouldn't even get a parental advisory sticker?"

Seriously, though. This place is bananas! Who'd have thought we had something right out of Dracula's castle under town hall! The stairs lead out into something that'd make a killer audotiroum, assuming you got it fixed up and cleaned out, but what catches my eye is the floating thing up on the platform bathed in green light. ...It's some sort of book, right? Probably got all sorts of bad stuff for nerd magicians like him in there. All American's got the right idea, but I don't think she's going to be able to keep that up for long. I duck behind a column and give the room a once over. How could I get him to come back down here...

Removing Insecure

<Capfalcon_work> Showstopper assess the situation
<Capfalcon_work> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon_work, 7+2 = 9

How could I best infuriate or provoke Skeleton Man?
How could I end this quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Flashback, Revived! ...The Finale!

All-American Girl's well-placed shot cuts through the air, the loud report from her revolver echoing throughout the underground chamber. Lichtos pauses to turn around as he hears the bang, his features contorting in rage and more than a little surprise as he ducks down out of the way. Apparently he's never heard of bouncing bullets, because the surprise turns to pain as he stumbles backwards into the ricochet. Ouch! That went straight through his wizarding hand! Not a great day to be a dark and terrible necromancer!

That same strange energy you saw leaking from his shattered staff starts to escape from the new hole he's sporting. Lichthos hisses, "Fools! You don't realize what you've done! If I can't possess The Portal of Xanthax, then nobody can! I'll see you all dead! Dead!"

The energy flow intensifies from his hand, the eldritch light in his eyes begins to fade as he rises into the air. A brilliant burst of energy causes the heroes to shade their eyes from the sudden flare, but it rapidly fades as the energy is absorbed by the glowing portal behind him and Lichthos slumps down to the ground. For a moment, everything is still. Then, slowly but surely, the heroes begin to feel a strange force pulling on them from the portal. The smooth surface ripples. Despite their best efforts, they cannot escape the ever-increasing pull.

The sight of the portal is the last thing that they see.

---

The voice is silent for a moment, "That explains the hole where your city hall used to be, then. It's a drat good thing the other three were able to finish the evacuation." She sighs. "Get some rest. We'll be in touch."

Apologies for cutting this scene a little short! Everyone who is still interested in playing should post here so that we can figure things (backgrounds, influence, etc) out for the merge and get back to it soon!

• Locked thread