Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Problem description: I got this error upon starting up and logging into my Mac this morning:

I have 111GB free on my hard drive, though.

Also, when attempting to start VirtualBox I get the error:

quote:

Failed to create the VirtualBoxClient COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Callee RC:
pre:
NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED (0x80040154)

Attempted fixes: I tried the solutions outlined here. with no success. My /tmp directory has the following permissions (with my name edited out)
pre:
dragonenthusiasts-MacBook-Pro:~ dragonenthusiast$ ls -ld /tmp
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel  11 Oct  2  2015 /tmp -> private/tmp
Recent changes: None that I know of.

--

Operating system: OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

System specs: Early 2015 rMBP 13"

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit: I fixed the CoreTelephony login error window by running sudo chmod 1777 /tmp; however VirtualBox still crashes with the same error, and it seems like anything else that tries to touch the /tmp directory fails similary (for example, WineBottler complained with mkdir: /private/tmp/winebottler_1476749943/nospace: Operation not permitted)

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Did some more googling; came across this solution.
http://superuser.com/questions/1133065/unable-to-write-to-tmp-osx-unable-to-correct-permissions-operation-not-permitt

I think things are fixed now?

• Locked thread