Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bank ki Moon, the outgoing UN general secutary is the worst general seucutary in history

lol hes not outgoing hes a thin useless sperg, but yeah come january some portugeez guy takes the hot seat as world leader

So, he gets his positinion like fr om that african dood coffee aman(sp?) and poo poo was relatively cash, just like iraq was sucking. Also coffee was overall pretty drat calm and prob his biggest failure was stopping the US from selfowning so hard over Iraq. which wasn't his fault, because criminal traitorous US media talked the nation into a unnecessary war

bankey moon's tenure has seen the rise of russia, from georga in 2008 where bankey did literally nothing

2014 ukraine too, and lol all bankey did was nothing

ebola, another failure

GLOBALISM can do some good, eg a robust global response to poo poo like ebola, fighting international terrorism, preventing wars
but he failed
the world burned
and bankey watched

now don't take my word for it, The Economist had this to say about him

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21699134-despite-unprecedented-push-pick-uns-next-boss-open-contest-choice-will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I have no strong opinion on the guy but if you are complaining that he failed to stop russian aggression then you have some very optimistic ideas about the power and influence of the UN secretary-general

it's also kind of silly to call putin's stupidity "the rise of russia"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
all i got from that is theres a slovenian guy named Turk

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I miss Boutros Boutros Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I have no strong opinion on the guy but if you are complaining that he failed to stop russian aggression then you have some very optimistic ideas about the power and influence of the UN secretary-general

it's also kind of silly to call putin's stupidity "the rise of russia"

I keep seeing C-SPAMers trying to insist that Putin is some kind of ignoramus steering his country into disaster but it seems like Russia is a lot more powerful and respected (or rather feared, which is the same thing) by it's neighbors than it was in 2000 or even in 2007.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ahahahahhaahhahahahahaha this world is beautiful

Helsing posted:

I keep seeing C-SPAMers trying to insist that Putin is some kind of ignoramus steering his country into disaster but it seems like Russia is a lot more powerful and respected (or rather feared, which is the same thing) by it's neighbors than it was in 2000 or even in 2007.

um, actually, where the usa committed warcrimes over many years you'll find russia just did all their crimes immediately and achieved regime change (or i guess ossification) quickly. now here's several paragraphs of ablative text where i hope to exhaust you before admitting that imperialism is violence, always abhorrent, no matter the perpetrator.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
there is no question at all that Putin accomplished every short term goal he's wanted to so far and also no question that the moment he dies a lot of the Russian elite will be arrested, move to Canada or mysteriously disappear while the rest rob the place even more blind than normal

given Putin's sole ambition for 25 years has been to be Peter the Great this is a problem for him

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
'feared by neighbors' doesn't necessarily conflict with 'steering his country into disaster', in fact it makes a lot of sense

that fear has put more of eastern europe into the orbit of the EU and the US, and putins dream of a Russia-centric trade zone is basically dead

invading southern ukraine and annexing Crimea wasn't a 'bold move' made proactively, it was a reactionary move to mitigate the loss of the Ukraine as a whole and prevent losing the naval base, it was a move of desperation

he also got absolutely wrecked by China, who took advantage of their new isolation to get faovrable trade terms out of them, so now he's scrambling over the rest of asia to try and get more investors (which is why he's starting negotiations with japan over those islands)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
but yeah ban ki moon is a un secretary general, and the purpose of the UN is not to constrain great powers, but to find areas of agreement between them and resolve disputes diplomatically (also to strong arm smaller nations that none of the permanent members like), so don't blame him

also i always thought k rudd's 'dream' of UN position was just a smear by the liberals party against him, but lol it was true

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the Economist is not something I'd usually read but I do like that you got a screenshot of the entire article :kimchi:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Helsing posted:

it's actually weaker, since putin's policies have done nothing to arrest russia's longterm economic decline, and at the same time he's made its diplomatic position way worse

no, being feared is not the same thing as being respected. any reasonably powerful nation can be feared by its neighbours if it acts erratically enough. there's a reason this is something intelligent leaders tend to avoid

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Adar posted:

there is no question at all that Putin accomplished every short term goal he's wanted to so far and also no question that the moment he dies a lot of the Russian elite will be arrested, move to Canada or mysteriously disappear while the rest rob the place even more blind than normal

given Putin's sole ambition for 25 years has been to be Peter the Great this is a problem for him

This could all be true and there'd still be grounds for arguing he's leaving his country better off, geopolitically speaking, than he found it. The Russian state was facing almost existential levels of threats around 2000 and it's not hard to see why Putin is popular at home given he replaced Yeltsin.

I'm not Putin fanboy and if you want to argue he's an immoral monster I'm with you 100% but I don't really get the narrative that he's some kind of blithering idiot when it seems like he's playing a not-great hand reasonably well, given the circumstances. I'm totally open to the idea he's actually making huge mistakes or that whatever he's accomplished isn't sustainable after he dies, I'm just curious about what, concretely, people point to when they want to argue Putin's been a disastrous leader for Russia (obviously speaking from the perspective of the Russian deep state and/or his oligarchic allies).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
How do you define powerful, is he powerful just because he is willing and able to use military force? I would argue that he's not especially powerful because the Russian economy is hurt to the extent where it's affecting their ability to keep up on their military modernization.

This reminds me of the conservatives who say that Obama is weak and Putin is strong as if conflicts between the two countries are settled by an oil wrestling match between Putin and Obama. I'd say that the country who is able to keep their military up to date and funded better is the more powerful country, not the one who has leaders more willing to engage in sabre rattling and provocation.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Helsing posted:

This could all be true and there'd still be grounds for arguing he's leaving his country better off, geopolitically speaking, than he found it. The Russian state was facing almost existential levels of threats around 2000 and it's not hard to see why Putin is popular at home given he replaced Yeltsin.

I'm not Putin fanboy and if you want to argue he's an immoral monster I'm with you 100% but I don't really get the narrative that he's some kind of blithering idiot when it seems like he's playing a not-great hand reasonably well, given the circumstances. I'm totally open to the idea he's actually making huge mistakes or that whatever he's accomplished isn't sustainable after he dies, I'm just curious about what, concretely, people point to when they want to argue Putin's been a disastrous leader for Russia (obviously speaking from the perspective of the Russian deep state and/or his oligarchic allies).

you're not wrong either, there's just a huge gap / almost a triangle between what the West thinks of Putin, what Russia thinks of him and his own competence level

as far as tsars go he's certainly not worse than (insert inbred moron or hapless puppet or mass murderer here) and he's been very conscientious about only taking 10% of the GNP for himself while making sure the masses get their cut, but he's now following the time honored Russian tradition of getting paranoid with age while having no clear successor and that's not going to end well

all that Russians really want out of their leader is somebody who keeps the vodka cheap and the graft manageable and after some notable successes early on he's getting weaker at this over time

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

He'd probably have done a better job if he didn't spend so much time on his street art

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Willie Tomg posted:

ahahahahhaahhahahahahaha this world is beautiful

um, actually, where the usa committed warcrimes over many years you'll find russia just did all their crimes immediately and achieved regime change (or i guess ossification) quickly. now here's several paragraphs of ablative text where i hope to exhaust you before admitting that imperialism is violence, always abhorrent, no matter the perpetrator.

your posting...

is very bad

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

your posting...

is very bad

nope willie's cool

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guy DeBorgore posted:

nope willie's cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXYMDu6dpY

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol russia and allies are literally gassing civilians and bombing UN aid convoys

warcrimes also aren't like something you can 'get over with quickly' and have it count for less

unless you are a rwandan warlord lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Isn't the UN horribly underfunded and can't really be expected to do much anyway

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ban ban

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pravin Lal should be the next secretary general

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

this is one of my favorite quotes

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atrocious Joe posted:

Thank god for Wikileaks.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rand alPaul posted:

Thank god for Wikileaks.

:golfclap:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I found the image on a bitcoin forum which is even better

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

How do you define powerful, is he powerful just because he is willing and able to use military force? I would argue that he's not especially powerful because the Russian economy is hurt to the extent where it's affecting their ability to keep up on their military modernization.

This reminds me of the conservatives who say that Obama is weak and Putin is strong as if conflicts between the two countries are settled by an oil wrestling match between Putin and Obama. I'd say that the country who is able to keep their military up to date and funded better is the more powerful country, not the one who has leaders more willing to engage in sabre rattling and provocation.

Compare the performance of the Russian military today with the performance of the Russian military in the 1990s, or even during the war with Georgia. The Russian military seems to have gone from a joke that couldn't even fight effectively inside its own boarders to a modernized force capable of effective projecting force into foreign countries such as Syria, where the Russians seem to have effectively propped up their client and carved out a territorial viable basis for an Alawite controlled Syrian rump state. So far as I can tell this would have been far beyond the Russian military's capabilities in 2000 or even in 2008.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
U Thant was a much worse UN general secretary or at least presided over a much worse decade of Things Happening.

All manner of horrible decolonial and post-colonial civil wars, Vietnam, Yemen, tons of bad stuff the UN couldn't/wouldn't touch.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

It's actually America who makes use of their veto the most at the UN (usually on the behalf of Israel) if anyone wants a suggestion for reasons.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

more like ban ki suck

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Helsing posted:

Compare the performance of the Russian military today with the performance of the Russian military in the 1990s, or even during the war with Georgia. The Russian military seems to have gone from a joke that couldn't even fight effectively inside its own boarders to a modernized force capable of effective projecting force into foreign countries such as Syria, where the Russians seem to have effectively propped up their client and carved out a territorial viable basis for an Alawite controlled Syrian rump state. So far as I can tell this would have been far beyond the Russian military's capabilities in 2000 or even in 2008.

Yeah the ruskies have actually effectively modernized and professionalized their forces but they still have big honking equipment issues that are not going to solved as long as Putin and his cronies are in power.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

How hard is it to drop bombs on hospitals in an uncontested airspace?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
its not like the russians have pulled it off flawlessly either, what with getting one of their jets shot down playing chicken with turkish air defences

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

hard enough that we still have friendly fire incidents when we do it, evidently

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
CAS is hard. Leveling urban areas without regard for civilian casualties isn't.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

CAS is hard. Leveling urban areas without regard for civilian casualties isn't.

see The Smoking Ruin Formerly Known As Fallujah

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

JeffersonClay posted:

ask the us army rangers lol!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

cargo cult posted:

ask the us army rangers lol!

Rangers lead the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
need a swede in charge. maybe norwegian?

• Locked thread