Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am a vim user
i use it on windows
i like youcompleteme but it is fragile as hell and impossible to install especially on windows
and i broke it again

whats a deece general/token-based autocomplete plugin alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

whats a deece general/token-based autocomplete plugin alternative

you're on windows? visual studio, or visual studio code

burning swine
May 26, 2004

akadajet posted:

you're on windows? visual studio, or visual studio code

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol at the thread title's implication that it's possible to get youcompleteme working in the first place

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway yeah the correct answer is visual studio with viemu. can't afford it? get a linux job

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I use that poo poo when I can but verilog is a gross mess with no ides

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
vivado

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its really bad and only works for one vendor's parts and i don't have the luxury of using their parts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my vendor-supplied toolchain is so bad that the builtin text editor does not auto-indent on a new line

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

GameCube posted:

lol at the thread title's implication that it's possible to get youcompleteme working in the first place

lol if you're so lovely that you cant figure out something so simple

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
great thread bloody. i would like to help you with your problem but i have never used youcompleteme or any other autocomplete plugin so idk

tbqh i only really use two plugins. the first is bufexplorer which is one of many possible solutions to vim's not-that-great built-in buffer navigation

the second is vim-tmux-navigator which lets you handle vim windows and tmux panes interchangeably. so like if i have a couple horizontal vim split windows i can just hit C-k a couple times and it goes from window to window to my irc tmux pane and then back again. you have to do some stuff with tmux to get it to work too but it's not too hard and it's amazing once it's set up, bouncing around between vim windows and other stuff is just totally seamless

please post all your best vim tips, plugins, and color schemes in this thread. i look forward to reading about all the rad yospos vim setups

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
code:
du -h ~/.nvim
2.8G	~/.nvim

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

code:
du -h ~/.nvim
2.8G	~/.nvim

:eyepop:

I use this vimrc basically but I had to update the Neobundle to not be broken and use airline.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
code:
" custom plugins
Plugin 'flazz/vim-colorschemes'
Plugin 'tpope/vim-fugitive'
Plugin 'scrooloose/syntastic'
Plugin 'tpope/vim-surround'
Plugin 'bling/vim-airline'
Plugin 'vim-airline/vim-airline-themes'
Plugin 'scrooloose/nerdtree'
Plugin 'godlygeek/tabular'
Plugin 'plasticboy/vim-markdown'

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

:eyepop:

I use this vimrc basically but I had to update the Neobundle to not be broken and use airline.

https://github.com/skroll/dotnvim

ive done some poo poo mannnn

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have broken up w/ YCM and installed neocomplete

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
gross

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I use vim in enacts

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
youcompleteme is bad dont bother with it tbh

visualstudio if you're working with a C# project, otherwise just use vim normally

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no completion mechanism overly encourages terse illegible identifiers though

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
visualstudio iMproved

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
emac

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Bloody posted:

no completion mechanism overly encourages terse illegible identifiers though

vim's built in thing you get when you hit C-n has always worked fine for me

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ways in which vim has hosed up my life, just in the last 24 hours:

open a new_file.sh in vim
paste a 300-line script
first line is #/bin/bash
vim comments out every subsequent line by prepending # because ${REASON_MISSING}
save/quit, don't notice because the syntax highlighting is so slow nothing turns blue before i leave
spend all day investigating why a big process with many, many parts is producing no output

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

paste a 300-line script
first line is #/bin/bash
vim comments out every subsequent line by prepending # because ${REASON_MISSING}
save/quit, don't notice because the syntax highlighting is so slow nothing turns blue before i leave
spend all day investigating why a big process with many, many parts is producing no output

it did that because "pasting" is the same as typing and it was doing syntax aware help.

set paste mode to avoid that, dummy

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

paste a 300-line script
first line is #/bin/bash

"*p

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
n00b

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yeah yeah i know about paste mode

still mad though :argh:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i got youcompleteme working once but decided it wasn't realyl worth it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i dont really use vim plugins, i do use vim bindings in my IDEs though

what do you use as your search and replace bounds-thing, i use #

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I use intellij products op

burning swine
May 26, 2004

launching_intellij.png

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lol if u need anything more out of vim

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

COACHS SPORT BAR posted: