Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zoness posted:

to be fair it wouldn't be as bad if you didn't have to guess which haven deck you were up against for mulligans, it's like zoo and handlock all over again

The plan is "keep a petrify, don't worry too much about curving out 2 drops".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've been finely tweaking my Pascale deck, because the recommended one seemed kind of bad. Specifically, it seemed way too unreliable in getting the cards that you actually want/need. So I added every single possible thing that could draw, in hopes of "shrinking" the deck overall. Anecdotally it seems to do better against some decks, worse against others, and take a billion years to accomplish anything ever. On the other hand, the opponents in A rank seem significantly better than D-B, so that might be screwing up my perception. Like, I have to assume that all Forest decks are purgatory now, and there are actually some non-bat Blood decks (Bloody Mary, usually).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 13, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That costs two mana. What.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have officially retired my Pascale deck in A rank. It's just not nearly fast enough or slow enough. I'm not entirely sure how they could buff it, given its general strategy, but I think maybe an aggressive and/or sticky 3 cost follower might help a lot. Or not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is that an extra pack, or instead of the Standard pack you normally get? Because if it's just replacing it then I don't really see the point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Abisteen posted:

So leapdroid is apparently discontinued because the makers got scooped up by Google. All the download locations I've been searching have seemed very sketchy. Does anyone know a non sketchy place to get it or an effective alternative android emulator?

I kept the installer and uploaded it to mediafire. On the other hand, maybe I'm sketchy too, I dunno.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Olivia is good in control vs control, but doesn't do all that much against aggro or combo. If the game goes on long enough for it to matter then they've already lost or won, depending.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, sorry, forgot we were talking about take 2. It's harder to create a combo deck in take two so it's definitely better there. If a game actually goes on to turn 11+ then it's ridiculous.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is it really possible to build a deck around that? Lord of the Flies is just a good 7 point minion, not really anything especially fancy. It's also inherently unpredictable in what it will summon.

Speaking of predictability, I'm liking the reliability of Face Dragon. Well, it's not exactly reliable since you basically need to draw 2-3 Fortes by turn 5/6 to have a reasonable chance of winning, but based on my quick calculations (ie: google search for a card draw calculator), you have about an 85% chance of that happening, counting the mulligan, and not counting any other bonus drawing you might do. Using Dragon Emissary when Forte is the only applicable card is clever in that standard card game sense, and the Dragonewt Scholar combo is also rewarding in its own way. It feels like I'm stacking the deck in my favor, rather than just hoping for the best, which is such a relief after Pascale Rune.

On the other hand, it's stopped dead by Ancient Elf which can be frustrating.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Awesome! posted:

why does homecoming liquefy for 800 vials? i have 2 of them now

Patch notes say it was nerfed at some point, so this was to make up for it. I thought it expired a while ago though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I hope to god the rumors about changing other card art is true. I'm tired of assuming every Elana player is a pedophile.

I honestly don't pay attention to the card art. What are you talking about?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I hadn't said Elana players I could point to a ton of them but in this instance, Unicorn Dancer Unica.

That goes in like, almost every single non-aggro deck in the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nftyw posted:

I don't know how Earth Rite cards work but I presume there's some kind of combo where having an earth rite is preferable over having a 0/2 wall on the field.

You get an Earth Rite and the 0/2 wall. Honestly, I find it pretty annoying in Earth Rite decks because it can take up so much space on your board and prevent you from playing actually useful things.

Anyway, I think the idea behind the card is mostly for spellboost synergy, but if you're going PtP I don't think it can hurt to have both options for shadows. Both of them are fairly efficient shadow generators.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

First game: Uh oh, it's Earth Rite, which kicks the poo poo out of Elana/Seraph.

Except when you flood the entire board with Earth Rites and don't have a Petrify to consume one, I guess. I'm never gonna have that easy a win off that bad a matchup ever again.

I played Earth Rite for a long time and hated Elana/Seraph. You can never count on drawing petrifies when it counts, and your game plan of outlasting the opponent with value is something they're simply better at. I definitely considered it my worst match-up, until PtP decks started filling the ladder at higher ranks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I saw a guy get to 29 shadows, play a PtP and concede. Little did he know that I would have killed him anyway with Storm followers in my hand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I noticed that the client just updated and the news site says something about preparing for version 1.34. Have they mentioned anything about what that update might entail?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Enhance seems ridiculously perfect for a Face Dragon deck that prefers to have no cards at 5+ cost (so you can draw Forte more reliably). Although I guess it really depends if any of the effects are aggressive enough to see use, or if they'll all be geared towards control. Which maybe is the whole point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dzhay posted:

Two questions:

-How do you fight against the Swordcraft zerg-rush decks? They seem to crush me by turn 6 or 7 unless I draw all my cheapest defence or board-clearers early.

-Speaking of gimmicks: how close to competitive can you get with an all-Neutral deck? I want to confuse some people.

Surprised no one's responded to this yet:

-Uh... play minions and spells? It's something you'll always have to deal with, but most decks will have fairly efficient answers. Hard to give exact advice without knowing what class you're playing, but pretty much everyone has an ultra-value turn 4/5 evolve that can get at least a 3-for-1 trade. And mulligan aggressively.

-A Neutral deck would be stupidly terrible in almost all situations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elana is a relatively cheap deck, honestly. None of its essentials are legendary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Japanese players seem relatively polite to me. No emote spamming or turn stalling or anything.

While I personally want them to buff all the decks I play and nerf all the ones I don't, I do think more efficient Amulet removal would go a long way towards balancing Elana. I've also speculated that a cheap card with Enhance: Destroy an Amulet might be added, because honestly a lot of biggest problem decks right now are based around powerful amulets (Elana's, Banner, and Path to Purgatory kinda-sorta), yet apparently it's still not worth it to include Amulet removal tech in most decks. To me, that says that existing Amulet removal is almost ridiculously overcosted in cards like Carnivorous Flower and Dragonrider Devil. Which I'll forgive you for not recognizing because they are never, ever played.

The only Amulet removal cards that do see play are the ones that double as relatively inefficient removal against followers, but not every archetype can make use of that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 30, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

inthesto posted:

Also while I'd like to see amulet removal worm its way into the metagame, it really only answers three strong cards and is useless against the likes of Beastcall Aria

It's not like we want to completely gut Haven though. Probably.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Isn't the real problem card beastcall aria? I'd rather they didn't render any amulet over 3 mana useless

Well, maybe that's a problem, but it's not like a deck with those but without Elana's or Garuda would be any good. Whereas a deck with Elana's that manages to spam a bunch of cheap heals can certainly win without Beastcall. Personally I've never felt like Beastcall was overwhelming me; honestly I'd put Priest of the Cudgel as a much bigger issue (although perhaps they simply need that level of OP to survive long enough against aggro).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The only legendary I got was a 4th Pascale? Yay? I really hope they make that deck viable soon. At least I got 2500 vials.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

High quality Famitsu scans came out. Doesn't really say anything we didn't already know. The section with Elana and other old cards is basically just saying "these are the cards from the previous expansions that changed the meta and created new deck archetypes, so look forward to the new cards that will do the same!" Elana and Levi are especially highlighted as single-handedly making certain decks viable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So I was curious as to why were got these free packs. Apparently half of them are from the game reaching 6 million downloads, and the other half are to celebrate a pro Magic player on the dev team winning a tournament. Apparently he won by cheating out a 15/15 creature that gives you an extra turn, on the first turn. Congratulations Kentaro Yamamoto; I can only assume you love Dimension Shift.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't believe a giant dragon is a Neutral card. Seems rude somehow.

Also new keyword: Clash. Effect occurs whenever the follower attacks another follower or is attacked by a follower. Example is "Thief" 3 pp 2/2 with Clash: draw a card. Release date is December 29th.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Er... I should probably have mentioned that they've been announcing new cards on twitter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you're the control side (as opposed to beatdown, whether you're playing a fast deck or not), you can pretty often exploit that when people spend evolves to force face damage. Greedy smorcs are so insanely common and they never seem to learn from getting punished.

Nah, evolving for face is almost always the right play in aggressive decks. If they lose, it's not because they evolved too early, but because they ran out of momentum and cards (usually following a big Ward follower or board clear). Not evolving in that situation would've just made the situation even worse.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

First expansion was released on August 29, the latest one was announced on December 1, although they hinted at it earlier in interviews.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

This is how you win as shadow

The ayyy lmao answer to turn 7 satan

I don't actually understand what's going on in that screenshot, so your clever remark was totally wasted on people to whom shadowcraft cards are somewhat alien.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think I've ever seen Pluto outside of Take 2. I didn't recognize her there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTAM-1mogDU

The low quality version has actually been out in Japanese for a while now, but whatever. I assume the characters shown are the new leaders in the shop.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 5, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's the kind of card you have to build an entire deck around, and I hope they add some more good Last Words because for whatever reason it feels like Shadow is lacking in identity right now.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 6, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Also that Shadowcraft legendary looks like it'll be real bad to my untrained eye. I mean, against big bad non-aggro decks like D-Shift, PtP or Seraph/Elana your only real win-condition as any Shadow deck is basically getting on the board early with a nice curve and getting some damage in/making your opponent waste resources to slow them down, followed by Cerberus/Howl/Mummy-ing face to victory before they can gently caress you. Building your deck around this card seems like you'd have to give up your entire win-condition in favor of something your opponent won't give a poo poo about. And I'm not seeing how this T8 5/5 that may or may not give you a big board/draws/shadows/whatever is supposed to help against aggressive decks. Which leaves...????

Honestly it has the same problem as Pascale Rune: gearing up for a huge mega-board late game doesn't help you at all against combo decks, and by investing in that your early game suffers a bit too. That said, I think it's theoretically possible for them to introduce enough good Last Words cards at key point values to make this the finisher of a more ordinary mid-range deck that can also go aggressive when it needs to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Maybe but even then it feels like it'll end up a slightly less control-y Mordecai - probably good enough to splash one of just for general utility in longer games, but you barely ever see it in your hand and when you do you probably curse yourself for not having put in some cheap removal against the t5 lethal on board your Swordcraft opponent has set up instead. Maybe I'm wrong and the extra Shadow generation, even on a T8 card, will prove really useful in control/combo match-ups, but...

I am imagining they add a bunch of "Last Words: Deal X damage to the enemy Leader" cards, and when you play this you deal 15 damage to face immediately. That's what I meant by "a finisher". Last Words that have an immediate effect.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 6, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They could also be like "Last Word: summon a follower with Storm" which could either go face or clear the board. I mean, it may not even be this expansion, but I just think such a deck is theoretically possible without creating any obviously broken stand-alone cards.

Plus, you're presumably going to be playing these same aggressive Last Word followers throughout the early game, so it's hard to see how you'd have dealt 0 damage before turn 8, if only through trading them to stay alive.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 6, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Spells that summon followers are another possibility. And, well, I kind of think they would print cards specifically designed to make this combo work? As a card game designer, I'd imagine your goal is to print cards that allow for new and different decks to exist. You don't intentionally create dud legendaries, probably. They're even printing that new card which summons a Beast Dominator because they want those to exist sometimes I guess.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 6, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

quote:

Imperial Dragon

9 cost Dragon Legendary

5/5

Fanfare: Discard all cards in your hand and deal 1 damage to all enemies for each card discarded.

Uh... memes I guess.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The question is whether it's worth paying 9pp for, when you can get the same effect more reliably with just the Dragonewts and Altered Fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It clears the board which dragonewt + the discard cards there is right now doesn't do

A turn 9 board clear doesn't seem like it's gonna save your life very often, honestly. That's far past the point of needing to stabilize against aggro, and other slower decks will have finishers that it won't answer. PtP, Seraph, D-Shift... even Elana will likely have big enough followers to survive the hit, which is likely closer to 5-6 damage than 8.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2016

• Locked thread