Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
sometimes I look in the mirror and say "I'm a good person"
the person looking back never believes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I lied exactly five times today and all the outcomes were positive. I will suffer no consequences for telling them.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Share lies until it hurts you.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
None of you fuckers are smart enough to know the Truth so you can't help but lie

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

I used to lie a lot, even when there was no reason not to tell the truth. I had to work hard to break myself of the compulsive lying after I got serious about personal growth and generally becoming a better human.

But it's just too much work to maintain the original falsehood with more lies, and to remember what lie was told to which person. It's like being a juggler with too many balls in the air, and knowing the whole thing's going to collapse eventually.

It's far better and a lot easier to just be honest in the first place, even if it's unpalatable. Sometimes I might fib in order to spare someone's feelings, but that's about the only situation where I feel it's warranted.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BirryJoru posted:

Share lies until it hurts you.

Ooooo tough guys gonna hurt people if they keep having fun.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
I lie constantly at work but it's because I'm a psychiatric nurse and its the only way to avoid getting my head kicked in sometimes

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
My parents put me in situations that taught me to lie instead of telling the truth. It's their fault.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

folandi posted:

I lie constantly at work but it's because I'm a psychiatric nurse and its the only way to avoid getting my head kicked in sometimes

Maybe that's an irrational fear and people just don't like you because you are a liar.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People are dumb and I love power tripping on deceiving others and I'm really really good at it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like I don't really give a gently caress that the CIA is watching me eat my breakfast and then I post that I ate a different breakfast and some bitch gets on the internet and whines about it. That's really their problem tbh.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i really try not to but i do sometimes because truth hurts

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i really try not to but i do sometimes because truth hurts

Truth is wonderful when you look at yourself and who you are and how you see the world.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
To get out of trouble.
To stay out of trouble.
To get someone else in trouble.
To keep my wife from leaving me before I'm ready for her to.
It's funny.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I only tell lies that are funny no matter how much damage they do

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
so i can jerk off in peace

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I usually lie when it's time to go to sleep because if I sleep standing up I might fall and hurt myself

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I almost never lie. Partly because I have no poker face, but mostly because lies are usually harmful, and I don't want to hurt people. Every now and then it's obvious that telling the truth would do more harm than good, but I never feel good about lying.

Except when trolling. But even then, the best trolls are exaggerated truths or half-truths.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I totally read this thread.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Truth is reductive. There can only be one absolute truth.
Lies, otoh, are creative. Every lie makes the universe bigger and more diverse.

Some wise guy out there has probably said that the whole of creation is a lie.
Well, that guy is my friend and we're going to ride go-karts this Friday if anyone wants to come along.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I guess I lie through omission which I think is some bullshit.

I don't tell people I actively dislike that I don't like them??

Ex-wife used to give me that poo poo about how omissions were lies. She, of course, had no problem omitting from our conversations that she was having an affair. As a result, I've omitted her from my life as much as possible (save for co-parenting stuff).

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

It doesn't really matter whether you tell the truth or not, who cares?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I used to lie a lot to hide my drug use from friends family and loved ones out of perceived necessity and kept it up for many years until it all fell apart AMA :thumbsup:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I came into this thread hoping it was weird spooky Wyoming Incident poo poo but the OP is bad. Bad OP!

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Mostly because I'm a deeply insecure man who lies to himself constantly so as not to eat a loving bullet on the daily

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I never lie.

:smith: that's not true

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I always lie.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Lots of reasons. For fun, to mislead someone, to protect myself from consequences; just the usual reasons.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Because none of my lies have ever backfired in a massive, catastrophic way. The first time that happens, then it'll be nothing but the truth from then on out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
I lied to get the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion. Can I live with that? Yes. Yes I can.

• Locked thread