Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Very basically I need to coat/cover/protect every goddamned floor and lower wall area of our apartment to keep captain piss machine from doing any damage.

Two years ago we moved into a newly constructed apartment, we were the first tennent! We brought our three cats to this new place, We have 1300 sq feet and the cats have the full run of the place nearly 24 hours a day. They have their own room with five litter boxes, toys and treats and all sorts of stuff. One, our siamese, has a pissing problem. We've been to three vets, spent over $3000 on trying to figure out what's wrong with him. Turns out it's behavioral. He's just a dick. He's lucky I love him so much or we'd have probably taken him to live with my mother by now.

So he's peed on a lot of things in a lot of spot. The litter room's carpet and molding is pretty much a total loss. We have spots all over the apartment where he has peed and recently he pissed all over the entertainment center and soaked about $900 worth of video games. The game discs were fine, the cases were totally saturated and not salvageable.

About two months ago, we had a fire in the apartment, nothing serious and the fire was out in 5 minutes. The sprinklers ran for 10 and dumped a shitload of water into the place. Most of it soaked into the front bedroom and the extraction crew didn't do the best job and there was some spots of mold. So my insurance has paid out and the complex is replacing everything, the carpet in the entire unit and any piece of molding where water was sitting. So we're getting a fresh start, a reset button I guess.

So I need every idea possible, plastic tarps, coatings, whatever will work to keep the urine from ever touching any carpeting anywhere.

The jerkbag whom we unconditionally love despite being a pissy piss cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
how many cones in the universe? that's the question. how many cones in one person? not a matter of mass but of capacity. my nudism is a f

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
I will never understand how cat owners can tolerate the smell of urine, not to mention open boxes full of feces in their homes 24/7.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I suggest hospital linoleum everywhere and plastic splashguards 2' up every wall, that should probably do it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Am I understanding you correctly when you say 'litter room' that there's only one room with litter boxes? If so, litter boxes in more areas, especially with multiple cats. 5 boxes in one room is the equivalent of 1 box to some cats.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Have you tried peeing on the cat to show your dominance OP?

EDIT: I have to second the "more litter boxes in more rooms" that Slugworth suggested.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2016

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

They don't like cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it around things that the cat likes to piss on

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Consider investing in a handheld blacklight, then you'll know for sure where the cat has pissed (urine glows under blacklight). Also, if you haven't already purchased some Feliway you definitely should consider it, as that might help fix the underlying problem of the cat being stressed out and marking inappropriately. It might also be helpful to play with your cat more since a tired cat is a good cat.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
One day the cat will die.

Give it away now, you wil be in the same situation but wont have a house covered in piss.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
E:;Wrong thread sorry

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Also maybe try different kinds of litter in your multiple boxes. Some cats are just super picky about substrates.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
I am saying this as a resident of a hardwood floor country.

Get rid of the carpet. Seriously. Some cats love the cozy feel of urinating on beds and carpets.

Your siamese likes the soft smelly almost soil-like feel of your aging carpet.

I once (as a young teen) had this problem with my strange Norwegian forest cat. My father bought a "debarker" (basically a sort of hatchet to remove bark from trees?!) and got rid of the carpet in one day's good work.

Turned out there was a decent floor under all that cheap carpet.

If insurance is covering re-carpeting, why not go for a real floor instead?

edit: because your beautiful cat will ravage the new carpet as well!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just trade it in for a dog

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slugworth posted:

Am I understanding you correctly when you say 'litter room' that there's only one room with litter boxes? If so, litter boxes in more areas, especially with multiple cats. 5 boxes in one room is the equivalent of 1 box to some cats.

It's like three inter-connected rooms. The only rooms without litter boxes are the master bedroom and main living room.

Killer Low Life posted:

They don't like cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it around things that the cat likes to piss on

I have begun doing this.

take me to the beaver posted:

Consider investing in a handheld blacklight, then you'll know for sure where the cat has pissed (urine glows under blacklight). Also, if you haven't already purchased some Feliway you definitely should consider it, as that might help fix the underlying problem of the cat being stressed out and marking inappropriately. It might also be helpful to play with your cat more since a tired cat is a good cat.

We have one, it's how we found the spot he was marking in. We have Feliway and pheremone collars. He gets tons of attention

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Also maybe try different kinds of litter in your multiple boxes. Some cats are just super picky about substrates.

We have three different types.

lizard_phunk posted:

I am saying this as a resident of a hardwood floor country.

Get rid of the carpet. Seriously. Some cats love the cozy feel of urinating on beds and carpets.

Your siamese likes the soft smelly almost soil-like feel of your aging carpet.

I once (as a young teen) had this problem with my strange Norwegian forest cat. My father bought a "debarker" (basically a sort of hatchet to remove bark from trees?!) and got rid of the carpet in one day's good work.

Turned out there was a decent floor under all that cheap carpet.

If insurance is covering re-carpeting, why not go for a real floor instead?

edit: because your beautiful cat will ravage the new carpet as well!

To clarify, we rent and the new carpeting is a result of a water damage so we're lucking out that they're replacing all of it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How do you proof an apartment against cat piss?

You can't. That's it. Plain and simple. You can't do it. There is no magic solution that will let your cat piss on your floor and on your walls without damaging the apartment. I guess maybe you could go all Dexter and plastic wrap everything but seriously, that isn't a real loving solution to this problem.

If you cannot correct the cat's behavioral issues, then you have two options. You can get rid of the cat or you can suck it up and pay for the damages before you leave the apartment.

My suggestion is that you go for option #1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've been trying trust me.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

One of mine hates litter trays due to associated fear/pain from urinary obstructions that nearly killed him and will try to piss anywhere else. He's got access to a catrun outside and will preferentially pee out there but if peeing inside, he's taken to pissing in the kitchen sink, laundry sink, and toilet. You can rinse a sink and flush a toilet and it's a reasonable compromise vs pee on walls/furniture/carpet. I did try training him with a litter kwitter toilet seat thing which kind of helped I think. If you have time you can usually tell when they're thinking about pissing somewhere they know they shouldn't and thats a good time to grab them and take them to an acceptable alternative place. Worth a try? It is possible to train a cat, even an older cat; it just takes patience and cunning and you have to make sure your alternative option is consistently available. The enzyme based pet-pee remover sprays (like Urine-off) are a must to get rid of the lingering smell in case of "accidents" and will discourage returning to the same place.

Buster, age 8, making a tinkle.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Rhyno posted:

To clarify, we rent and the new carpeting is a result of a water damage so we're lucking out that they're replacing all of it.

Sorry, thought you owned the place. Great oppurtunity to cat proof.

Some fixes:

- buy reasonable carpets and cover all the problem areas when the new carpet is put in.
- you can put "pee proof" bedding under these (pee proof covers for beds or just simply plastic)
- more litter boxes (with different sorts of litter)
- try the toilet training option (I have had a cat who learned this spontaneously, and it's very handy)

Personally, if this was my cat, I wouldn't "get rid of her" before trying out these things.

When your carpet is new, there is a critical period to change your cat's behaviour. She might be drawn to pee on it to make it smell "normal". Ideally you could make her get used to some new alternatives before then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lizard_phunk posted:

Personally, if this was my cat, I wouldn't "get rid of her" before trying out these things.

We thought long and hard about this but really, despite the destruction I love this cat. I was in massive pain recently and he curled up next to me and licked my forehead for like two hours, he only left my side to go eat and probably pee on the couch. He's very much in tune with us and I could never get rid of him.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Cat piss is awful. Other than whats been recommended maybe try some of the herbal attractant cat litters. There are a few kinds now.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Also are you cleaning the spots he's pissed on with something like nature's miracle?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Get the cat on Prozac. If it doesn't work try a higher dose. My Siamese cat had the same problem and the pills made it go away completely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've tried meds before, we didn't really notice a difference. We're taking him to the vet again on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Might want to try a different med or have him on it for longer? Vets will say I guess.

Also seconding what many folks are saying - it really would be wise to try NOT to get carpet. Urine can soak through to the wood underneath, which is really lovely for everybody. Perhaps you could put together a proposal for your landlord detailing the cost comparison of replacing the carpets every so many years versus some affordable faux wood laminate, which has really improved in the past few years and can be very cost effective - the only significant cost is the installation, but you can get the actual flooring really, really cheap from places that buy leftovers (like Marden's if you have a place like that where you are). I mean, here are the options flooring wise:

-Landlord pays for carpet, you break your back for x years buying cleaners, replacing furniture, carpets, etc, carpet still needs replacing when you go
-Landlord pays for laminate, you are able to clean the urine more efficiently (still purchasing cleaners etc but MUCH less), flooring doesn't need replacing for a long time

I think you could even offer to pay for part of the laminate if you're desperate. Budget what you would pay to keep the potential carpet...usable and figure out how much you spend on it per month/year. Come up with a number and compare it to a local estimate on the materials and installation for laminate to see what you could potentially save. Then you could go to your landlord and say, "Look, I did the work and found that installing this affordable laminate would save you money down the line. Here's the laminate I found. Here's how much it costs, and how much it will be to install. Here's the cost of replacing carpeting over 30 years." And if he/she is like "lol nope" you could offer up the fact that you would be willing to pay for part of it, even say the amount of your safety deposit or whatever you want - consider that if you have a male cat pissing all over all the carpets for years, I'd bet you won't be getting that deposit back anyways, so I see that as a no-loss situation.

So, tldr: Laminate will save your landlord money in the long run, and while you may have to pay something on the outset it will save you time and grief for YEARS.

The only other option I can think is to cover the place in a second layer of cheap carpets if you must, maybe sandwich it with some plastic if there are literally no other options. But that will be sad and gross and that pee will find a way between it and you'll have rank, festering cat urine all over your house.

• Locked thread