Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I played for a few hours last night, got the engine assembled up to the point where I was going to install the fan belt... and then I find out there's no fan belt in the shop.

Perkele! I went to bed, but was awakened just before dawn by someone calling for a ride home from the bar. I hung up on him but got in the van anyway. I was getting pretty loving hungry and had already eaten the starting sausages. Drove to the store and hung around outside until it opened.

Bought a bunch of food and beer, plus every bottle of oil, coolant, and brake fluid, and THAT loving FAN BELT. Spent over 2000 markka on just those things, and then I filled up the van with diesel too.

After filling up the van, I filled up myself with beer, which filled up my bladder. I was angry at the shopkeeper for taking all my markka, so I pissed inside his shop. Then I pissed on him for good measure.

"What a strange summer," he remarked, "it rains and then it stops."

I stumbled to the car and got on the highway. Eventually I came to a police checkpoint and idled forward. The cop lowered the "stop" sign he was holding, so I thought I was good to go. I drove on, but he started chasing me and ramming me from behind. I ran off the road and crashed into a tree, dying brutally.

RIP me, and RIP my half-assembled engine.

This game owns, my biggest complaint so far is that it's impossible to eyeball the size of any given bolt/nut, something I'm pretty good at in real life.

protip, you can also drive the van counterclockwise around the lake shore, it's wider than the highway and much shorter

Edit: I started over this morning, driving to the store first thing. Gonna see if I can find any of that bug spray another poster mentioned.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hillo posted:

Most of the bugs get fixed by saving and reloading, try that if you haven't yet

I believe that's also how you get the engine onto the hoist. You just move the block real close, lower the hoist, and tighten the two bolts. Then save and reload, the engine should now be up in the air.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Edit: Also, don't save and reload at the store after buying lots of stuff. Unless you really love individually dragging in sausages from the van. That shopping bag goes away and all the stuff you bought appears when you reload.

Yeah, I opened my bag while standing at the counter. Then I hauled each piece to the door before I remembered you can throw things, so I just chucked them from the doorway into the open back of the van.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

My car building skills are still poo poo, but I managed to deliver a load of firewood! Now I probably won't starve to death for lack of money.

Where do you deliver it? The guy calls and asks for firewood but hosed if I know who this random Finn on the phone is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm gonna have to start over. The van that I had sort of stuck in the water has now drifted out to the center of the lake, there's not even a way to tow it out. Oh well, at least I figured out how to work the sauna.

Please share, it doesn't seem to get hot. Do you have to wait a really long time? Which way do you turn the thermostat to make it hot?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

it turns out i should have just adjusted my alternator position so the fan belt engaged lmao

The game is unrealistic about that part because you don't need to wedge in a long screwdriver to hold the alternator tight enough while you try to tighten a loose nut and bolt with one hand

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Would be cool if hovering the wrong tool over a bolt showed like an up or down arrow.

This would actually be the perfect way to do it, because that's basically the feedback you get in real life. Right now, in the game, you just have to keep guessing.

So when your piston shoots out and bends, can you order another from the store or what? How do you replace parts that go flying off into the lake or whatever?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Where in the heck does the alternator attach to on the block?

Kinda... to the right of the water pump?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Every drat time I start lowering the engine into the bay, the loving thing falls off the hoist. Do I need to have the car jacked up to put the engine in?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So, confirmed that moose are already in the game, some poor bastard ran into one while I was in town:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fognl posted:

Does anyone know what the red light and buzzer is on the sewage truck?

Air brake tank isn't full yet. Once it runs for a little bit, it'll be fine. You can ignore it, basically.

Real trucks have that buzzer too, this game is awesome

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PopeOnARope posted:

I dropped my #2 sparkplug into the loving engine.

As I was assembling mine I had one of those moments of terrible clarity .5 seconds after I tossed a spark plug out of the garage toward the car, and I watched it sail up and away out of sight. A moment of realization that, oh yeah, the game scales throwing distance by the weight of the item, and spark plugs are really light.

Luckily I eventually found it on the other side of the road.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dropped my car jack through the driveway somehow.

Also trying to get the engine into the car is maddening, it keeps knocking the sides I guess and just falling off.

It's not super clear in the guide I read, but I'm pretty sure you need at least the subframe installed before you can bolt in the engine. I kept trying to drop it in without the subframe and it would fall off the lift all the time.

I ended up just bolting on the sub frame and everything up through the wheels, then I didn't have to use the jack any more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CDs? In my early 90s Finland simulator? My immersion! Give me cassettes or give me death.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

wait...you can do what?

You have to bind the key but yes, you can.

I'm not sure if you could run all the way to town and drive back without dying of exhaustion, though... We really need more places to sleep, what sort of Finn can't fall asleep in the back of a van?

fake edit: I've never checked, can you sleep on that bed-looking space in the back of the sewer truck's cab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The timing being off will give you a bunch of ticking. I think the car just backfires a lot. Though it could be from too rich fuel mixture.

To fix timing, scroll down on each screw 15 to 20 times. Then scroll up 7 times.

is that to adjust timing or valve lash? Do you not adjust timing at the distributor?

• Locked thread