Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Played for a few hours, and it's fun in it's own masochistic way.
Got killed by driving into a small cliff, and got back home from the church/graveyard by heading to bar and slamming vodkas until I blacked out and woke up in my house :v:
Also you get lovely sound effects when you're doing one of the "hey my cesspit is full" mini-missions :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Yeah, the sewage truck is awesome. After watching another Finnish streamer going flat out in it, it really does seem you can't die while driving it. Or going +80kmh into a tree isn't enough to kill you :v: (You can still flip the loving thing, and no amount of pushing is gonna help, guess how I found that out..)
Also, I got the engine on the hoist (thanks to the hint given here), but gently caress if I can figure out how to get it in the car. No amount of fiddling with or without the hoist helps.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Yeah I already got everything else but half shafts and radiator hoses in place, I'll do the shafts and check what happens. Also I had some cesspit cleaning jobs waiting, and as usual when you save, the markers disappeared from the map. But now they called me right back, and got the markers back on the map. I don't remember that happening before, maybe the patch fixed that. Also my trick for these jobs is to leave the truck near the shop, and then just boat across the lake when needed. Saves time :)
[edit] Oh I think someone was wondering about where to empty the truck. Just do it anywhere, the game doesn't care :lol:

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
loving hell, don't try to push the car from the pit, or this might happen

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Thanks Cojawfee for the tip. Slapped the half shafts in, and they gave me the extra visual help that I needed to finally get the engine close enough for the engine mount bolts to show. Installed the last of the bits in, and the engine fired right up! Runs like poo poo, because no oil/coolant/carb tune, but hey it runs!

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
It really is fiddly with it's placement, so just keep working on it. And you might want to try what I just did, install the half shafts so you have another point to see if the engine is in the right place. And the bolts for the motor mounts are under the mounts themselves, so it's really hard to see when the engine is close enough for them to appear.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Aw gently caress, you can die from over-exhaustion! You just keel over from a heart attack. It takes forever to happen though: my exhaustion went red at about 6am in-game-time, and it was around 6pm when I died.

As for the brake and clutch problems, here's my 2 markka:
- There's a small nut near the carb, that's easy to miss when you're installing the gear linkage. If you only tightened the two bolts at the end of the link, it won't drop off but it'll pop out of gear constantly.
- Rear brake nuts: Start by looking in the rear wheel wells, the nuts are above the rear axles and not really visible from any direction. Use the brake lines to give you an idea where to look.

Also this happened, I somehow managed to tear off the bootlid hinges off the car :psyduck:

Bendy boozer

[edit] Yeah, robbaz and his "wacky voice" is loving annoying. He already has a heavy accent, no need to make it sound worse.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 28, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
The septic truck is great, and after a few crashes I've figured out how to get it back on it's wheels.. well more or less. It seems the tires are the best place to push, as I keep clipping through stuff elsewhere on the truck. Also there's a spot between the cabin and the tank where carried items (case of beer etc.) won't clip through, and I've used that to basically lift the truck out of a ditch. Expect physics glitches though.

Falken posted:

Many a true nerds play is hilarious because he has gently caress all knowledge of cars. He took the short block and dropped it in an empty engine bay ffs. Also he couldn't even figure out the van.

The mans a genius at fallout... this, not so.

I watched his videos, and christ, all he has managed to do in two videos is to walk to bumfucknowhere and is now basically lost. I hope he'll at least look up how to start the loving cars..

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Which is under the engine?

Yeah, it easy to spot, one big-rear end bolt on the bottom of the oil pan.

I had some fun with the cops:

Drive the sewage truck flat out, and somehow manage to stop from 120kmh in time and without running anyone over.
Start drinking beer, and walk towards the cop holding the breathalyser. Finish the beer, and toss it at the dude killing him.
Next walk over to the other side of the road, where a cop car is waiting, and check the fine: +10000 markka, not enough money to pay.
Try to pay it, nope! Cancel out of it, and cop car hits the lights and zooms off to somewhere.
Walk over to another cop, and just by walking into him, kill him too.
Now the other cop car takes off, turns around, and smashes into the sewage truck.
Uh-oh, a logging truck is coming!
Truck hits my truck, both fly into a ditch, cop car is now free and somehow roadkills the cop with the radar further away.
Then silence, as there's skid-marks everywhere, trucks in ditch, beer and groceries spread on the road, and three dead bodies on the ground.

After that I drove the truck back home, where my PC locked up before I could save.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
After writing that, I wonder what's the point of the fines if you can't pay them. And :wtf: were they trying to do? Arrest me, kill me, or something else?

^^^ Use the push command/button, you'll see two hands appear and you can then push stuff around. I recommend crouching and focusing on the tyres. At some point it either rolls upright from a suitable slope/hill, or bugs out and launches in air.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 29, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Before complaining about how I can't make the bootlid stay on, I checked the list of known issues and what do I see at the very bottom: Stability issue with Satsuma bootlid.
I just drove my satsuma to get the body and bootlid repaired, so that's probably few thousands of markka spent on nothing. :p

How much fuel does satsuma use btw? I previously filled it up at the pump, and once I was back home, I had half a tank left. That seems excessive. I got the air/fuel gauge, and adjusted the stock carb to give me ~15 when warm, so it shouldn't be a rich mixture issue. (And I doubt that the tuner carb helps, if anything it should increase fuel usage as it gives more hp.)

There are moose running around, and going by real-life examples, they're mostly active around sunset/sunrise. But sighting one is rare enough that there are people on the steam suggestion forum asking for moose to be added, when they're already in. :v:

And for the goon complaining about the van/truck/tractor, be glad that the only thing that can go wrong with them is running out of fuel. And it's nigh impossible to get yourself killed with the truck!

[edit] I should check if modding has been suggested, because I'm going to paint satsuma in that dark-blue metallic colour that my actual Datsun 100A was, and I'd love it to have the actual licence plate I had on my car.

[edit2] Oh gently caress, this explains why my car was losing parts while sitting still:

quote:

Did you load a save that you forcequit/quit without saving? And if so, did you quit because of something breaking in the car? If so, its a known bug: screw/mesh states get saved despite not saving while quitting. If you didn't quit without saving or your parts didnt break before that, then its a bug.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 30, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
New update just came out:

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791455630865/announcements/detail/912370218013524463 posted:

-Added re-spawner for vehicles, if they drop out of the map they should spawn at their original starting locations
-Made double check to reset spark plugs if they still get stuck
-Increased strength of the crap hose
-Fixed issue with stolen fuel getting saved too early
-Made brute force parking brake to the truck, it won't slide anymore when parking brake is applied
-Some player character stats are now reset after death
-Changed Satsuma gear shift audio from 2D to 3D
-Made flies appear little later at the dirtiness scale
-Swimming also reduces dirtiness now
-Starter help added to Van, Tractor and Truck for players who use Auto Clutch
-Fixed gears being shifted while not in Driving Mode
-Adjusted Tractor parking brake

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
I hope they add in some extra missions or something, it's getting boring doing the same two jobs over and over again.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
This is an interesting list of things that might be added to the game.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Here's something important for us that care about those achiivos:

List of Achievements that are available only in Permadeath mode! posted:

I got lots of reports Achievements bugging out. Well I just found out that I FORGET that this was a feature, not a bug. Some achievements are ONLY available in Permadeath mode.
  • Rusting Fast
  • Thank You Government
  • Flying Finn
  • First Loser
  • Sliding Swede
  • Ultimate Survivor
  • And It Is Gone
  • Proud To Be Mortal
I will update the Achievement icons to show which are available in Permadeath mode only.

"Grand Theft Teimo" seems to be genuinely bugged, as it still has a 0% global achievement rate, and people have been trying to get it with no results. (Flying Finn/First loser/Sliding Swede also have 0% global rate, but that's mostly because the rally challenge is hard as gently caress to pull off.)

[edit] "Officially approved list of possible future content additions" got this added to it: "(*) Means we are working on this feature currently".

Oooh, let's see what the dev(s) are working on:
  • Getting lift from the green car driving around the dirt roads (*)
  • Cottage with wooden sauna located at the small island (*)
  • Ability to watch TV to increase fatigue (*)

Hitchhiking is a feature the game really needs, so that's great (and that linked with this should lead to fun shenanigans). Sauna in the island.. eh. And a way to increase fatigue is helpful, no more save-load repeating to advance in-game time.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 1, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
Afaik the markers disappear, but if you got a job before you saved, they're still active.

Spades posted:

Did you make sure that the fuel line is tightened on the gas tank end? I think it appears underneath the car at some point after you put the fuel lines in and causes fuel to leak out if it's not tight. I think it was leaking at roughly the rate you described for me, otherwise the car doesn't use gas very quickly.
You were right, there was a nut that I missed. Thank you!

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 3, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
I'm probably alone in this, but has anyone else poked at the files with an hex-editor? The two videos shown on the TV are in sharedassets1.assets in ogg/ogv format. That file also has the textures in it.

[edit] I originally wanted the music, but I'm finding other stuff by dumb luck. Never done this type of poo poo before :v:

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

Nenonen posted:

Which music do you want? Chance is you'll find it in the internets, eg. Marjatta is performed by the game's developer and is available on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBcevPyR64

And it looks like the soundtrack has also been uploaded by peeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZlp3FQc3yQ

Of gently caress! Yeah, I was looking for the radio music, but I didn't think they'd actually be online somewhere. Thanks.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
There hasn't been an update since October 30th, so it's something else.

[edit] You could try doing these things.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 6, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

My trunk lid consistently will fly off its hinges and through the floor of my car knocking my exhaust off when I attempt to close it.

That's a known bug, and it's loving annoying. In my case it loves to drop my fuel tank too.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

GOD IS BED posted:

Figured out my wheel not being connected was causing the crash.

Also find out that you can assign a button for starting the engine at the start screen! Nice!

Too bad they actually don't do poo poo :v:
I've tried binding different keys in the start window, but the only ones that matter have to be done in-game.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
While I wait for the next update to drop, I spotted RPS did an article about the game, and read something everyone does and complains about :

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/07/my-summer-car-early-access-review/ posted:

[...] The driver’s door of your van never closes properly and you always have to slam it shut twice [...]
Not true! When closing the door(or the boot/hood), CLICK AND HOLD the mouse button to close it in one go! The same thing works in reverse, so you have a chance of escaping from your rolled vehicle while you keep the door open.

Humbug posted:

It is only available in permadeath mode, but that's what I'm playing in.
The following achievements are only available in permadeath mode according to the dev.

Rusting Fast
Thank You Government
Flying Finn
First Loser
Sliding Swede
Ultimate Survivor
And It Is Gone
Proud To Be Mortal

Not sure what they all are tbh.
* Satsuma going 200kmh
* Get fined by the cops
* 1st place in the rally
* 2nd place
* Not sure, 3rd place maybe?
* Pee on yourself
* Die in permadeath mode
* Start the game in permadeath mode

Humbug posted:

2. Does weight affect performance? If that's the case I could probably strip the car completely for the next rally, but i'm not sure weight is simulated.
Weight is simulated for sure, you'll definitely notice it with the crapper truck. And according to this streamer/tester, stripping satsuma of it's doors/hoods etc. does help.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 8, 2016

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

zedprime posted:

Restart or hex edit your save to put the part back at its spawn state.

Tell me more. I'm guessing items.txt has the locations, but what format is the location stored in? Raw 16/32bit value per axis, or something odd like Binary-Coded-Decimal? Or am I overthinking this? :v:

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan
I noticed that too. Did the save-load thing to skip the nights, but the weekday was stuck on Tuesday. It finally switched to Wednesday when I slept through the night, so it might be that sleeping is the only way to advance days properly.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

CharlesM posted:

I stole the muscle car by towing it away with my septic truck but the steering gets insanely sensitive. I tried to adjust those little sliders in the controls but I think it only went the wrong way and I can't fricking figure how to click them the right way!!
The sliders for steering are stupid, because increasing the value in them makes steering more sensitive, and the default Non-linearity/High-speed setting of 10 is already too fast. I have my "Steering Non-linearity" at 10 and "High Speed Steering Rate" at 5, which keeps steering fast for low speeds but slows it down for actual driving.

CharlesM posted:

I was driving on the highway though and for just pushing my joystick a little the wheel turns a lot.
Well the default setting for steering wheel turning is something like 700 degrees of rotation. I dropped it to 180 degrees, which looks much better imo. Oh and that setting doesn't have any effect on actual steering, it's just there so you can match your racing wheel to in-game-wheel.
And if you're talking about how just by touching the stick on a gamepad etc. launches the car in some direction: the analog steering in this game is super sensitive. It was designed for Logitech G25/27 wheels in mind, which turn like six times from end to end (i.e. you can make precise small corrections). If you can, play around with the response curves/linearity settings on your joystick.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

hillo posted:

40 down, 35 to go :sandance:

I had the same idea, but instead of top100 from '95, I'd do top20 from '90 to '95 (skipping repeats). But actually starting, and hunting down the songs.. eh :v:

• Locked thread