Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I rolled my eyes so hard I think I pulled something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

I can hear this in their voices. Particularly Kramer's "fifteen damage" part.

Wasn't this done by a former Goon who had a gamer comic? I don't remember the name of it, but it was like standard "two gamer guys and a gamer girl" but the guy was receptive to criticism from here?

I don't think he's a former goon but yeah he did take criticism to heart and actually went out of his way to improve his art style a lot

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

ah yes, clearly the creators who constantly emphasize how rick is the smartest person in all the universes ever are trying to portray him as a pathetic character

the best way they do this is by making him always get the upper hand on people he doesn't like and effortlessly overcome all odds

That having power doesn't in itself make you happy or liked by anyone is sort of the point of Rick's character. The fact that a big chunk of the fandom thinks they're Rick is loving hilarious as a result

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

So I guess fanart of Alan Moore does exist

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

I didn't either, but now we both do. According to the MM&O strip it's a popular childrens cartoon about lesbian superhero drama or something that unstable adults totally obsess over on the internet and draw erotic fanart and jack off wildly and threaten to rape the staff and kill themselves because one of the characters blah blah on Deviantart blah blah because gay blah blah.

So I skimmed the Wikipedia article and they're anthropomorphic gemstones not superheroes but otherwise that seems to sum up Stephen Universe pretty well.

It's a kids show that adults can also enjoy but yeah like with MLP there is a contingent of really creepy adults who obsess over it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Lysistrata posted:

That is an extremely long and :stonklol: answer. I can't believe someone ever devoted that much thought to a single Garfield strip. Got to the part where he was writing pages long requests to publish only the one strip over and over, couldn't make it through the rest.

You did yourself a disservice. That's probably one of the funniest videos of all time

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Eugh, I've been trying to repress all memory of that unpleasant atrocity.

I read it for years and I literally can’t remember anything about it. There was...a guy? He was depressed sometimes?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I think there is an rpg where you play as the dad and you have your wife and kids in the party too.

Lost odyssey on the Xbox 360.

Dragon Quest V has you start as a child in a party with your dad, then eventually you grow up, get married, and have kids who eventually also join your party. It’s a neat bit of storytelling

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Far inferior to this version of the same idea: https://charmingdisaster.bandcamp.com/track/ghost-story-2

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Standing for 8 hours absolutely does suck and the US is basically the only country where jobs like that are still a thing. Nearly everywhere else, you'll at least be provided a chair. Having to put on a happy face for rude customers also blows. I don't think anyone who hasn't worked in retail or food service should have an opinion on those jobs. They're often absolutely miserable experiences, especially if your boss is one of those "the customer is always right" types, which they usually are

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Where do you live where every job possible can be done sitting down

I'm talking about jobs that explicitly have you standing around all day, like store clerk. Obviously any job that requires moving around doesn't count, but that's still really different from just standing for 8 hours straight. I'd rather spend 12 hours at my current job (construction work, where I'm mostly on my feet but get to move around) than 6 hours as a clerk or a security guard where my knees felt like they wanted to explode by hour 2

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Nothing wrong having to stand when you're a clerk. :shrug:

Besides, if you got time to sit, you got time to clean or something else. Always something to be done.

There's absolutely no reason you have to stand if you're working the till.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I started to read one but then hit a wall of text and my eyes glazed over immediately. Unacceptable

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Is having to be positive at work really a bridge too far from some people? I mean, I wouldn't want a doctor that got so grossed out he was dry heaving when treating me, or a firefighter extinguishing my house and getting angry because he thought I set it off on purpose. I don't think its unreasonable to expect a certain level of professionalism from a job that I presume is hiring adults.

Please maintain your smile at all times as this customer hurls insult after insult at you because you don't sell cat food at the hardware store you work in. They've been to many hardware stores before that sold cat food and thus you must also sell it somewhere, so the reason you are saying that you don't have any is because you're either a piece of poo poo idiot moron who huffs his own farts, or you're maliciously doing this to spite this customer because you hate them and are trying to ruin their day on purpose. Probably both! Your manager will eventually come by and give this person a discount, and then spend another five minutes berating you for your rudeness. Slap that smile back on, champ! You're only fifteen minutes into your shift!

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Oct 19, 2018

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I know a lot of people have given up on Gunnerkrigg Court due to it's slow pace, but it's currently in the middle of a neat arc where Coyote has given Ysengrin his strength, only for Ysengrin to immediately go mad and eat him, absorbing all the rest of his powers and his own stolen memories, becoming the deranged entity Loup. Powerful enough to literally close the chasm that Coyote rent between the forest and the court, and using seeds he smuggled into the court to wreak massive damage to it, as well as having a conversation with Antimony that seemed like a few hours but he actually kept her for a few months. Now at the court there is a new Antimony that she thinks may be an imposter, but a neat thing is that no one cares, because as far as they are concerned they are both "real". I like that treatment of that cliche, that no one is accusing either of them of being fake, just "Well, now there are two of them, let's see how this pans out..."

Also Jones is wearing a towel because the new character punched her into space when she tried to follow Antimony, and her clothes burned up on reentry.

Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Billion Demons, and Stand Still Stay Silent are the only three webcomics I follow. Gunnerkrigg has always had a slow pace, except now the plot feels like it's finally coming to a head, and it continues being extremely good

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

If you ignore 90% of the context or motivation behind why we do anything, humanity sure seems alien!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Nonsense. Plenty of people like MM&O, because they identify with the characters. Losers with crippling social issues who abuse themselves and each other endlessly. Same reason people loved Seinfeld.

MM&O is a cartoon Seinfeld.

I enjoy MM&O because of how narrowly my friend circle avoided actually becoming that. Just a bunch of shitheaded teens who managed to eventually pull themselves together and become functional adults. Well, most of us anyway. One of the nicest and classiest girls I knew ended up getting hooked on heroin and dated a guy named Sleaze for about three years during which she got hep-C and picked facebook fights with other crusties over who was and wasn't a poser. She didn't get it together.

So, yeah, there but for the grace of god go I, or something. MM&O is just that except fictional so I can laugh about it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Gokuweed420 posted:

It's made by a loser, about losers, for losers, and it's no surprise that so many goons like it because these forms have no shortage of drug addled and or mentally ill losers trying to seek solace from their failings.

Putting it down isn’t going to make you a winner

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

How would you gently caress a straight friend?

Don't. No need to encourage them

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Poor jeff. I am glad he seems to be doing a little better now. Also glad that Gunnerkrigg Court is still going. Also the only "new" webcomic I have seen people talking about in ages is Kill Six Billion Demons.

Those two, and Stand Still Stay Silent (which is also incredible) are the only webcomics I still follow. I’m sure there are other good ones but those are at the top by far

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I just read the whole thing tonight in one sitting and yeah, anyone who hasn’t needs to give it a shot, it all plays out in a really satisfying way. I think the MSPaint-grade artwork makes it work better somehow.

The artwork makes you think the writing is gonna be trash but then you find yourself about 50 pages deep into a discussion of alien biology and the sort of society it creates and it’s utterly compelling

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Captain Jesus posted:

I haven't been repulsed by any comic posted here so much probably since the Gentle Likpas. I guess that's what this comic reminds me of the most. The art is offensively bad and the writing reminds me of Tails Gets Trolled. The Goblins were at least so bad it was kinda funny, but this is just embarrassing.

With all sincerity, it’s probably one of the top ten webcomics out there

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Jesus I didn't know how bad webcomics had got if that's top 10.

Give it a read if you don’t believe me. The art is bad and the writing is strange but it’s an incredible piece of media despite that

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Unpopular opinion: MM&O, Achewood, and Hitmen for Destiny are all good

Captain Jesus posted:

Well, the examples posted here really didn't convince me of that. But I will move on knowing that the way I feel about this comic is probably how some people feel about MM&O here and I understand them better now.

I felt the same way the first few times I saw it posted, ages ago, but then on a whim decided to read it and ended up bingeing the whole thing over a weekend. I had no regrets

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jul 16, 2019

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

None of the kitty facts indicate the cartoonist has any firsthand experience with cats.

Sorry about your bad luck with cats. All of mine have been really mellow goons who don’t seem to give a gently caress about anything

Sunswipe posted:

Are they scaley like snakes or smooth like sharks?

Like sharks, they are smooth in every direction

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I never really understood the impulse to bully people until I saw Dobson’s comics

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Agent355 posted:

They're no worse than the garbage blue alien comics or the endless relationship comics. They're extremely banal surface level relatable poo poo that is the comic equivalence of going 'beautiful weather today'.

The only difference is that this one is trying to relate to stupid shut in nerd creeps instead of some more mainstream group.

Dobson’s worse because he completely lacks self-awareness and carries this air of thinking he and his interests are superior and more intelligent compared to everyone else. Contrast his comics with Whomp, for example

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I've never read the Count of Monte Cristo but the sandwich is pretty good

The book is better for reading but worse for eating

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Wikipedia summary leaves out the most disturbing detail. Read the book and discover it for yourself!

Mind posting it? Because I’m probably not gonna bother reading it!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I do mind. Read a drat book.

I'm the obnoxious prick who read War and Peace, Infinite Jest, half of Pynchon's novels, and the entirety of Proust's In Search of Lost Time. If I don't feel like reading a book, I ain't gonna read it!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

At least this one is cute

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Vampire werewolf comic is good, goons unsurprisingly desperate to dislike everything that's not slam dunk penis

Some goons sometimes forget that it’s okay to like things

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

They were expecting beautiful and light green avocados but life is not about living up to expectations. Just getting poo poo on until we're all dead and have lovely brown avocados.

The color of the avocado is just about perfection, though

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Kill Six Billion Demons rules. The only bad part is the comments section, which sounds like a million Ram Dasses roleplaying the thunk emoji

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Powerup Comics is great for the same reasons stuff like RealUltimatePower was great. If you’re in on the joke it’s funny, if you’re not it’s just confusing

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

We defeated the neanderthals for a reason, is all I'm sayin' :colbert:

To...to gently caress them?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's a loving tragedy this isn't a standard question in every presidential debate.

I remember someone had tweeted that at some politician or cabinet member or something and she replied, “because it’s going to die anyway?” I don’t know what the correct answer is, but that is most definitely the wrongest answer

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

In complaining about criticism Zen Pencils has created a work that happens to be the greatest argument for the necessity of critics

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yup, I've been loving the Jane Austen stuff because I Get It, but Napoleon showing up and thingy meeting an old guy in jail were funny but I was clearly missing something, and if there's people who have been feeling like that about all the Jane Austin bits I can see why they weren't as enthused as the rest of us.

e: Which is not a "problem" with the comic, familiarity of the source material is kind of required to get everything out of a pastiche

I never read Jane Austen but the premise is pretty easy to pick up on. I guess the only thing you’d really need to appreciate Abbeycourt is a basic understanding of high society way back when, which lots of people pick up through cultural osmosis anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Now, if you want to see what a "One Joke" premise stretched out by an actual good writer, look up " The Bus". Every one is awesome, and every time you think " Okay, he has pushed this as far as it can go", he flips it to another angle.

Pretty good Horizon Zero Dawn fanart, too