Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Count of Monte Cristo has some pretty fun filler though.

I loved the revisit of Caderousse and his wife. It was a total emotional roller coaster, I was like "Dude, you were doing so well, but then you had to listen to your greedy wife and try to murder the stranger for more money and now your on his shitlist. I'm so sorry you're an idiot." I also liked just how much of a dickhead Edward becomes after prison. It's not even a revenge fantasy after that point as he's being terrible to everyone, even those who didn't wrong him yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Prison changes a man.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Most of the classic French novels from that era are actually perfectly readable today. Your average Balzac novel, for example, isn't even that long. Dude was pumping them out.

The Count of Monte Cristo is a notable exception, I read it in its entirety, in French, and I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Most of the classic French novels from that era are actually perfectly readable today. Your average Balzac novel, for example, isn't even that long. Dude was pumping them out.

The Count of Monte Cristo is a notable exception, I read it in its entirety, in French, and I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon

Unabridged Les Mis is a nightmare.

However Candide is still EXTREMELY good even now.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

muscles like this! posted:

Unabridged Les Mis is a nightmare.

However Candide is still EXTREMELY good even now.

The Bernstein opera loving rules

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I don't get it. At all. How about everybody spend a few months arguing about the most bizarre interpretations they can dream up?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A sad commentary on the resistance to any attempt at help against your addiction to snake-sniffing

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

If you reverse the panels, the elephant is rescuing the man from a snake attack, and then gently puts the snek down on the ground and they become friends.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

beanieson posted:

If you reverse the panels, the elephant is rescuing the man from a snake attack, and then gently puts the snek down on the ground and they become friends.

Snackmar has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Oct 25, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

elephant gun, you lunatics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

beanieson posted:

checks out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I don't get it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phlegmish posted:

You just read slow. I like a big long story I can binge like a Netflix show.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

These intentionally bad New Yorker cartoons are the only New Yorker cartoons I've ever enjoyed.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/dai...cial-type=owned

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

rodbeard posted:

These intentionally bad New Yorker cartoons are the only New Yorker cartoons I've ever enjoyed.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/dai...cial-type=owned

these are p funny but it would have been next level if he committed fully to the all star bit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought the middle panel was "The people who destroyed me the last time I was online are still at it" and was getting my credit card out for the new avatar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Count of Monte Cristo has some pretty fun filler though.
Once you get through the boring bit at the start The Count of Monte Cristo is all good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Count of Monte Cristo actually would really lend itself to a prestige TV series, though I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one in French already. There's a goddamn anime. (Which apparently is low budget and leans into the surreal. Also the Count is a space vampire)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo actually would really lend itself to a prestige TV series, though I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one in French already. There's a goddamn anime. (Which apparently is low budget and leans into the surreal. Also the Count is a space vampire)

There's the 1998 French miniseries with Gerard Depardieu that is very good, but the Soviet version is still the best, imo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiggum posted:

Once you get through the boring bit at the start The Count of Monte Cristo is all good.

I could use a new av. Mods?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also doesn't help that you pretty much have to do at least a cliff's notes of French history to understand the overarching plot, though I suppose for the intended audience at the time that would be extremely well-known recent history.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think you should buy this avatar, Milo and POTUS. It is a good one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You just read slow. I like a big long story I can binge like a Netflix show.

Hahaha this is the nerdiest flex I've ever seen

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Not sure how appropriate this is to this thread, but I'll take a probation if it's not.

Apparent sex pest Cody Pickrodt sued eleven people (nine comic artists, one critic, one publisher) for defamation. Eight of them were dismissed from the suit on technicalities, and the remaining three, including Whit Taylor who has detailed Pickrodt's assaults against her.

You can donate to their defense fund [url=https://www.gofundme.com/f/spx-support-the-11?fbclid=IwAR0GHJKoQv60mrhc5jAlNAS-e-PtV4ABZzqf6OyuT_YDQbYTjdrfpGo-CQ8here[/url]

Also, gently caress it, content:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phlegmish posted:

The Three Musketeers is so much fun, as are some of the sequels - Milady de Winter is such a satisfyingly competent antagonist.

'The Man in the Iron Mask' is a mess, probably because it's not really a complete book - it's the last third of an absolutely enormous book (The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I don't get it.

Me either, but it had a bunch of panels so I thought I should put it here.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Milo and POTUS posted:

It is a good one. I considered it but Thanos still cracks me up

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

trickybiscuits posted:

Not sure how appropriate this is to this thread, but I'll take a probation if it's not.

Apparent sex pest Cody Pickrodt sued eleven people (nine comic artists, one critic, one publisher) for defamation. Eight of them were dismissed from the suit on technicalities, and the remaining three, including Whit Taylor who has detailed Pickrodt's assaults against her.

You can donate to their defense fund [url=https://www.gofundme.com/f/spx-support-the-11?fbclid=IwAR0GHJKoQv60mrhc5jAlNAS-e-PtV4ABZzqf6OyuT_YDQbYTjdrfpGo-CQ8here[/url]

this one's me

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Makes sense, that one kid brought fresh food for school lunch!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tiggum posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot which thread that request was in and did it too:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pookah posted:

The Three Musketeers is so much fun, as are some of the sequels - Milady de Winter is such a satisfyingly competent antagonist.

'The Man in the Iron Mask' is a mess, probably because it's not really a complete book - it's the last third of an absolutely enormous book (The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later).

I've read both The Count of Monte Cristo and the whole Musketeers series in their full unabridged glory (translations, mind you, I can't read French). Yeah, writers in those days were paid by the word and Dumas was an especially verbose bastard, but he generaly managed to make his stuff brilliantly entertaining as well.

Was kind of fun in one of the Musketeer sequels when they reminisce about the good old days when Richelieu was in charge and how he got things done unlike the idiot running things now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never read the Count of Monte Cristo but the sandwich is pretty good

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Thank you friendo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Who What Now posted:

I've never read the Count of Monte Cristo but the sandwich is pretty good

The book is better for reading but worse for eating

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

trickybiscuits posted:

There's always one kid who's been exposed to age innapropriate media.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

There's always one kid who's been exposed to age innapropriate media.

The one kid in sex ed who's completely unfazed and pretty bored.