Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The Language Fiend is one of the greatest little throw-away things in HfD :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Bianca really went through a lot due to Anette's whole "getting dragged into magical adventures" thing; I can understand her being pretty miffed at Anette, even if it wasn't really her fault.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

This gunfight is probably my favourite part of HfD :haw:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's weird to me that neither of them take milk, nor remove the spoon

The spoon maybe, but tea is best without milk or sweeteners anyway :colbert:

Anyway, Bianca & Fusk drinking tea while pointing at each other with Schrödinger's handguns is such an amazing scene, it really stuck in my mind after reading the comic :D

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I liked this!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I think I get what Tree Bucket means; there are some comics where the art is impressive in terms of detail and obvious amount of work put into it, but there are some subtle elements that (for me, personally) invoke some sense of things being slightly off which makes the comic as a whole feel vaguely unpleasant to look at. I've assumed it's probably some combination of slightly uncanny valley-ish character designs combined with personal preference stuff like line width and colours used. Hierarchy of Genres definitely had that issue for me, where there was a lot of detail and technically impressive perspective, layout etc., but the character designs and proportions irked me in some way, as well as the colours.

TLDR: some artists have styles that I don't like, and sometimes it's hard to say why and that sucks because the art can be in many ways cool.

Anyway, I recently remembered the webcomic A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible. It's a surreal comic with no overarching narrative where each comic introduces elements in a dreamlike fashion and the topics and content vary wildly. Some of the comics I don't "get" at all, while some have excellent absurd humour or poignancy to them. It ran from 2004 to 2013 (although looks like it never officially ended, the comics just stopped), and it was made by David Hellman (the art) & Dale Beran (the writing). Many of the comics feature the two as protagonists, too. Hellman might be familiar to some as e.g. the artist for the indie video game Braid. There are only ~40 comics to post but I thought I'd post them one at a time here if people don't mind. They start off pretty short but by the end they tell some much larger stories.

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
July 15, 2004

Both authors have written a bunch of text underneath every comic, I wonder if I should copy that here?

EDIT:
Actually, these first couple comics have so little to them that I'll post several at a time.

HO CONOSCIUTO UNA RAGAZZA ITALIANA DI SPOLETO
July 17, 2004

AMBITIOUS YOUNG MEN PLAY THE PIANO OF SUCCESS!
July 19, 2004

THE CONVENIENCE OF EVENTUALITY
July 21, 2004
(There's a hard R-word there, sorry about that :/)

I think this fourth comic illustrates what these will be like somewhat well (apart from the slur.)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Apr 14, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible
PAUL'S SCIENCE CORNER
July 23, 2004

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Glad to see that people know & like A Lesson Is Learned! And yeah, the name is really good.

This one was already posted but I'll repost it here for posterity and so that one can see all the comics by looking at my posts here:
NO, I'M SORRY
July 24, 2004

Here's the next one, then:
DALE MAKES A SANDWICH
July 31, 2004

The reactor!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

tired gay and dead posted:

I think having a guy ask his transdimensional counterpart who's brain he is wired into to hold onto his girlfriend for comfort as he is vaporized by a nuclear weapon is a pretty good and effective way to illustrate the stakes of a story beyond "we lost contact with some guys, turns out it's nukes". It's not strictly an escalation in the plot but it works really well emotionally in the context of the comic.

Yeah, it's a very effective method of utilizing the premise in a touching way.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

LOW-G MAN RELIES ON HIS MOONROCK
August 7, 2004

This one I really, really like

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Those drunk baker comics are some of the most (intentionally) miserable reading I've ever seen. Especially the one where one of them hits their head and dies. Just like, visceral misery in every panel.

Tree Bucket posted:

This is wonderful. Thnx for posting it
Glad that you like it & hadn't seen them before! :)

TROUBLE WITH POWER PYRAMIDS
August 14, 2004

"I cannot bear your words, insects! They're too tiny!" is a fantastic line

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NOW WE ARE POOR AGAIN!
August 21, 2004

"Who could have foreseen this course of events?!"

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

BLUERAZZ SOURPOWER SNACKATTACKPACKS
August 29, 2004

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

AT LAST, I AM IN HEAVEN!
September 4, 2004

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

WILL WE EVER ARRIVE?
September 21, 2004

Pictured: how Dale became Newspaper Spider-Man

EDIT: Oh, the artist also posted some work-in-progress versions of this:
The Ordinary World
Crossing the First Threshold
Approaching the Innermost Cave
The Belly of the Beast
The Smelly of the Yeast
The Return Voyage
The Theorist's Archetype

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Apr 21, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I recall the SSSS author posting how odd it was to have Google Image Search references for pugs/bulldogs and teeth at the same time to design that creature!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GETTING OVER WOMEN
September 30, 2004

The preparation steps of that meal are horrifying yet entirely accurate

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NOW IS NOT GOOD
October 18, 2004

A ghost dog! :3:
Please ignore how it came to be

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

10,000 FREE MEN AND THEIR FAMILIES
November 12, 2004

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR OWN HOME
November 20, 2004

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

CHRISTMAS DISASTER SPECIAL
January 1, 2005

This is one of my favourites! Maybe it's sappy but those final panels really work for me.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The next two comics are pretty short so I'll post 2.

THE LAST FEW MOMENTS OF A FILM
January 10, 2005

"We took the company car. The city had replaced that day with another, and I had recovered. The fake had been discovered.
The original, Phillipe, and the items he stole, covered by a long thin cloth. In the game, my son negotiated a small man
between a series of bright animals. Wet snow filled the broken windows emptied of light. A curl of expensive curtain and
carpet gestured, exposed on the precipice. Where had those birds returned from and did they live there now?

IN THE MORNING WE'LL TRY AGAIN
January 18, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wasn't there a really long one where some dude summoned a simulacrum to enter the cupboard to find an iron, and he ended up king of a warring kingdom

or was that a different comic

That's the second-to-last one, so it'll be coming up in a bit!

the holy poopacy posted:

:lmao:

I've only ever seen a few of these randomly in the wild but I'm enjoying ALILBTDII immensely

That's great to hear! :)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ulf Is BABA

VISIONS AMID PERPLEXITY
January 28, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

This comic is seriously growing on me. There's like another hundred pages to go, right? Right?

Glad to hear that! But alas, we're almost at the half-way point already. :(

ANOTHER DAY
February 7, 2005

The one after this is fairly long so I'll keep it at just this today.

I guess let's instead post the author comments for this comic:

Dale posted:

Snatching you from a Hopeless Abyss Emergency Valentines Day Advice Column
It's time to open up the mail bin gain. The storage site has been flooded, so most your recent letters have experienced severe water damage. However, I managed to save a few hundred by baking them on a warm surface and opening them delicately.

Dale,
Have you ever fought a villain of PURE ELECTRICITY? And, if so, what did you do?
knots loosening,
Trapped in the Basement

Dear TITB,
Electricity's natural enemy is water. Have you tried letting the creature feed on the high voltage power lines until it grows immense, and then luring it in to the nearby bay, or reservoir?
best of luck,
Dale

David posted:

Le Bowl Définitif
Just got back from the Super Bowl.
You probably heard about how I won. It was pretty awesome. Now I have to write a poem for poetry class. Like twenty art students are going to analyze it tomorrow at 1 pm. Here's what I have so far:

Garden gnomes
In charming homes
Progressing without witness
Peace have found
But whimsey drowned
Also, physical fitness

It's pretty edgy stuff, but I can't bottle up the truth.
David

EDIT:

Thread posted:

PYF Comic: Ulf Is BABA
:aaa:

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Apr 30, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ALCOHOLIC RABBIT TEARS IT UP
February 14, 2005

Dale posted:

Valentines Day Quiz!

Happy Valentine's Day readers!
To celebrate the disgusting events of love making, I've devised this simple quiz you can take with your partner:

1.) Did you receive my letter?
a) I've torn it in to tiny pieces which rained on my livid face.
b) tears struck it in many places
c) why?
d) no.

Well? How did you do? Time to crunch those numbers!

For each (a) give yourself five points, for each (b) ten, for each (c) 20, for each (d) fifty
35-100 You are hurting everyone you know.
101-200 You are hurting as many people as hurt you evenly.
201-300 Half eaten bits of food, orange peels and bread crusts, are sprinkled around your bed. The columns of sunlight are filled with dust. Do you ever leave?
301-350 Whose grave are you gripping to weep on, Casanova?

Dale

As we go on some of these will get quite long. Tell me if I should timg them (I'd prefer not to but obviously I'm biased)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 20:46 on May 1, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Very well! I'll timg the tall comics from now on (but refuse to timg the one I just posted, mwa ha ha ha ha)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Alcoholic Baba is NOT CANON

THIS IS THE VOICE OF DOG
February 25, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

THE GIANTS STOLE MY RHYTHM!
March 11, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

quote:

This is Twelverevelations, a *leather bandana*. All craftulfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with salmon. It is made from sheep leather. It menaces with spikes of farce.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Huh yeah, I forgot (or never learned) that there's apparently a countereffect to the disease(??)

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is irreversible
SLUMBERCAKES
April 11, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

FAT DALE AND MOUSE IN THE APPLE JUICE
May 14, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I CAME ABOUT THE JOB
May 21, 2005
This one is kinda gross and also contains a suicide so I'll spoiler it:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

CAN YOU COME AND DIG ME UP?
June 15, 2005

An issue caused by the comic's age(?) is how tiny the text can be. I assume it's a compression thing from back when monitors were smaller and connections were slower.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

THE ZOMBIGATORS' LAMENT
July 11, 2005

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I like the moustache.

MORNING, SLEEPY HEAD!
August 25, 2005

This is where the comic starts to morph more into a slower release schedule with more detailed art. I was actually surprised to notice that initially the authors had a weekly schedule!

Also this is one of the more memorable strips to me; Buff Skeleton here is some excellent art!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A rare two-parter!

DEADLY ENCOUNTERS
Part One: Deadly Alliance
October 6, 2005

DEADLY ENCOUNTERS
Part Two: Deadly Dalliance
October 14, 2004

Ditocoaf posted:

I've been meaning to say, thanks tons for posting A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible.

It was definitely something that was strongly recommended way back when I was first getting into a few webcomics, and I'm not sure why it stayed in the "oh yeah I really should check that out" zone, but it stayed there long enough to fade into vague memory. But its title is so good and memorable that I strongly remember even that non-fact of "I meant to look into it 14 years ago" lol.

Anyway it's been mostly really good. It nails the sorts of drifty narratives that get pieced together in dreams.
That's great to hear! Thanks for saying this :)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

TRAUMATIC INCIDENT No. 17
December 5, 2005

The giant fleas on the Choking Dog were an interesting detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A DAY AT THE OFFICE
February 16, 2006