Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This movie, while good overall, kept the very tired irritating tropes I hoped they would not use, namely that magic can do anything except fix a Harsh Reality of Life That We're Taught To Accept. Magic can teleport you vast distances, stop bullets, reverse time, conjure beer, and blow poo poo up, but it can't fix crippling injuries because that's a Harsh Reality of Life That We're Taught To Accept. Ancient One, you stupid bitch, the reason Strange can't draw his sparky circle is that he has crippled hands, not lack of motivation! Just heal his loving hands! What do you think stranding him on Mt Everest is going to do? This is this definitely going to show up in a How It Should Have Ended vid on YouTube.

Another annoying trope is that the Most Important Truth of All is some commonsense stuff that our mothers taught us when we were seven years old, such as humility or love conquering all or some other bullshit.

On the plus side, the film did its best to distance Marvel sorcerers from Harry Potter wizards. The mirror universe fights were definitely the one thing J. K. Rowling did not do.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
None. No Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or anything familiar. They were really determined to distance Strange from Harry Potter, so no magic words whatsoever. They did mention a few magic items like the Wand of Watoomb, and Strange immediately made fun of their names.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 26, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lovechop posted:

i really enjoyed this film. some of the coolest visuals i've even seen. cumberbatch was great but my favourite character by far was the cloak. hell yeah.
It's like the magic carpet from Aladdin: the silent transportation device that is sometimes smarter than its passenger.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jonny_Rocket posted:

How are those remotely the same thing? I don't understand how those phrases are any more ridiculous than a man in a flying iron suit, an alien god with a hammer, or a gamma radiated monster. All of those translated well on film, so I don't really see how those phrases wouldn't translate today. Dr. Strange uses the phrases all the time in the comic to conjure spells.

Also, they already have introduced Life Model Decoys into the MCU if you count what they're currently doing on Agents of Shield.
Like I said, I think they wanted to distance Doctor Strange from the Harry Potter movies, what with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them coming out in a few weeks. Not only do they not use magic words, they don't even directly attack each other with spells. Rather, they use martial arts, with conjured melee weapons made out of sparks (whips, fans, ghostly spears, etc.). Does anyone remember the Doctor Strange straight-to-DVD animated movie from nine years ago? In that movie, the sorcerers conjured swords and shields when they fought. And they fight in the mirror dimension where everything is all Inception-y.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Even by the end of the movie, Strange's hands aren't healed. It's as if the movie treats his crippled hands as Strange's Uncle Ben - they have to stay crippled otherwise the character is ruined. I think he should have healed hands but decides to stay a sorcerer because it is much more fun and productive.

The story is fun but pretty predictable. The only remarkable thing this movie has is the Inception-y battles.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Drink Top posted:

As far as I know, the explanation for a lot of characters not healing their scars and injuries in the Marvel universe(s) are mental blocks. Like if the character just can't imagine being healed then they can't be healed.
Which is a tough idea to sell to a man of science who is at the top of his field. Given what happens to Pangbong in the stinger scene, magic can't actually heal anything, but rather Strange would have to cast a spell on himself that would make his hands normal only for long as he keeps recharging the spell, like Cinderella's carriage or something.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 27, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
What was best Marvel origin movie? I think Thor was the most original, because it's not a hero's journey, or even really an antihero's redemption. Thor's already a superhero from the start, he's just a little cocky and daddy sends him to Earth for a time-out so that he could think about what he did. When he gets to Earth, he doesn't act like a dick when confused by Earth culture. When they tell him "we don't smash our beer glasses here" he's like "OK, when in Rome..." He doesn't have to get lectured or anything or shown the error of his ways, because he's already a good guy in essence. He's just a little undisciplined.

This movie, Doctor Strange, was just so, so predictable. It's exactly the kind of script I would have phoned in if I was hired to write this movie in between projects I cared more about. "Um, Strange loses his hands and visits Tibet, learns magic, and then he has to fight one of his teacher's old students who turned evil, and in the end he effectively takes over his teacher's position as Headmaster of Hogw... I mean Sorcerer Supreme." The sorcerers fight each other using martial arts, which is a rather odd thing to ask of a guy with crippled hands who is pushing 50 (his hair is starting to gray).

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What's wrong with Doctor Strange being an origin movie? I felt like this was the best route to go, since they had to introduce such complex characters and the concept of magic within the MCU.
Ant-Man shows us how you can do an origin story in an unconventional way. Ant-Man could easily have been a retread of Iron Man. "Hank Pym invents a shrinking suit then has to fight an evil villain who used to be a colleague". Instead they gave us a heist movie. Tim Burton's 1989 Batman movies and Bruce Timm's 90s animated series did not start off with full-blown origin stories. Batman's origin was told in flashbacks. Very simple. It occurs to me that Batman Begins was actually the first movie that was a proper origin story for Batman (if you ignore Mask of the Phantasm). I don't feel that origin stories are overdone, unless you consider the perspective of a long-time comic book reader instead of the average Joe Public.

Doctor Strange isn't a bad movie. The characters are all likable, and the mirror universe fight scenes are excellent. I love the idea that sorcerers can twist the battlefield itself to their advantage, whereas regular heroes like the Avengers are bound by it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Magic" is a wayyyyyy too vague and ambiguous super power for a protagonist to have without a pretty thorough explanation on the extent and limitations of their abilities and you can't really do that in a montage. You might be able to do it for someone who was a lovely wizard with severe limitations (like Harry Dresden) but you can't do it for someone as powerful as Dr Strange.
There are lots of "non-magic" heroes who can do almost anything because their powers are too loosely defined. Green Lantern, Molecule Man, Firestorm, etc. Heck, we might even see Magneto pull a rabbit out of a hat if the writer could somehow link the process to magnetism in some way. Other magic users have very limited and well-defined powers. Shazam is simply Superman without vision powers, right? In the Avatar cartoons, you conjure fire, move rocks, water, or create winds by doing martial arts gestures - it's fairly well-defined what a particular "bender" can do. Nobody ever pulls a fantastic deus ex machina out of nowhere unless it's a clever application of the same basic power (eg bloodbending).

I think comic book writers should define "magic" as to how the sorcerer produces the effect. For me, magic is using gestures, rituals, and magic words to invoke the intervention of supernatural agencies. The sorcerer doesn't know how the magic works, only how to invoke it. Magic and science are not opposing forces, like comic writers think. Science is a systematic way of studying and explaining the universe that compensates for the logical fallacies that humans are so prone to. A "magical" phenomenon like a magic hammer should not be incomprehensible to scientists, it's just a strange sort of technology that uses unknown engineering principles. If it behaves in "impossible" ways, then the scientist who studies it will rewrite the laws of physics accordingly and collect his Nobel Prize.

Also, any technology sufficiently advanced beyond the user's understanding is indistinguishable from magic. loving zoombas might as well be possessed by demons, for all I can tell.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 28, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jerusalem posted:

One of the major things in the film is that EVERYBODY is either breaking/bending the rules of magic or are fine with it being done "for the greater good", which generally means they're being hypocritical ESPECIALLY The Ancient One. Except for one particular character who becomes increasingly distressed (in a dramatic sense, it's not played for laughs) about it because they are a true believer, took everything they were told at face value, and strongly base their values/sense of self on it. This leads to a sequel hook.

Edit: Figured I better add more spoiler tags.
The film ought to explain WHY breaking these rules is so terrible.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Doctor Strange needed to differentiate mystic combat from regular Avengers-style superhero combat, and they did it in a clever way. Sorcerers warp the battlefield itself.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The idea is that sorcerers are an international bunch and draw people from all ethnicities. The only bad whitewashing in the movie is the white mugger who tries to steal Strange's wristwatch. A white mugger in Nepal?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Test Pattern posted:

That's why it's Nepal and not Tibet.
I didn't notice anything in the movie that might offend the Nepalese, but I think that early in pre-production the execs at Marvel Studios insisted the movie take place in Nepal just in case the movie might actually have said something that could irritate the Chinese government.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

I liked Mordo's exasperated reaction to The Ancient One leaving Strange on Everest, like it's something she's always doing to students.
It's also ludicrous because Strange doesn't lack motivation or discipline. He's a world-class neurosurgeon, and he found the Ancient One's sanctum. It's the tired trope of the dickhead Asian sensei.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

well why not posted:

They weren't criticizing his motivation or discipline, but rather his ego. He was not just world-class, he was world famous. Remember the scenes of him picking only the famous, risky cases?
I don't think his ego got in the way of his learning. In fact his self-confidence is what got him there.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
OK, I guess you argued your points well.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
With the Ancient One dead he kinda is by default.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 3, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Ither posted:

One thing I didn't like about this was the lack of incantations. Come on, Marvel, that's like an essential part of his character.
I said earlier in this thread that movie wants to distance itself from Harry Potter; there's a Harry Potter prequel movie coming out this month. This is why they went Inception/Matrix. It also differentiates Strange from the Avengers. If he shoots beams of magical energy from his hands, he looks like Iron Man; if he conjures shields, he looks like Captain America; if he throws lightning, he looks like Thor. The genius here is that sorcerers transform the battlefield itself.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Avalerion posted:

Ending gambit spoilers: So is Dormammu like super honorable or actually bound by his word? Because I figured the ending doesn't mean he'll never get to conquer earth now, just that he'll stop his current attempt - which is why the cultists had to go too, as without them he won't be able to make another anytime soon.
Just like Galactus, it seems to be a common weakness with these cosmic entities.

Like previous movies, this one has an extra scene mid-credits and another post-credits. The mid-credits one is Strange talking to Thor about Loki. The after-credits is Mordo turning villain. If it were up to me, I'd have switched those around. I think Marvel Studios really keen to plug Thor: Ragnarok.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 6, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Dormammu looked like a mix between Andross from Star Fox and a skrull with the lines on his face. My guess is that they wanted to really differentiate him (visually) from Thanos
I heard somewhere that Dormammu actually has a warped version of Strange's face, the logic being that Dormammu is in fact formless and mimicked Strange's face just to communicate.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
If it had been up to me, I would have set this movie 5 years prior to Iron Man 1, so that by the time Strange teams up with the Avengers he's already a master sorcerer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

notthegoatseguy posted:

With Strange being in at least one other movie (and probably one part of Avengers), I think there we run into the problem of "Why doesn't Strange just *magick* the problem away?". I think it is good that he isn't a master sorcerer at this time
You can ask the same question about all the other threats the Avengers faced since 2008. Wong pretty much sums it up: the sorcerers only fight mystical threats, not physical ones.

• Locked thread