Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

But it got gassed unfortunately

(Sometimes I wonder if forums moderation is like an internet case study similar to the standford prison experiments, but anyways)

There was an interesting post about decolonizkng science and some crazy magic stuff and other kinds of weird marios

Here's the the thing I want to record straight about these topics .

Science: science is excellent and is s glorious gift of the human mind which we should use but we must study 📖 the philosophy of science 🔬 and epistemology to understand the limits of that tool and not worship science as song grand replacement for some weak God figure

God: God is just as real as real as your soul or as your subjective experience or as the love you experience. That is to say God is literally SuperReal

Magic: magic is absolutely forbidden by God and it is filthy and abhorrent to Him and you should not play around with it

I am a servant of the Lord and the only black magic acceptable to me is this chill song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyDQkUFfwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God hates calculus. :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i put a spell on you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the red menace is back

in pog form

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
was it the game of thrones thread

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
if your god has physical consequences, like making prayers come true, then he is scientifically testable.

If he doesn't, then he can't be falsified, but he is also indistinguishable from a god that does not exist.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I dunno man magic seems pretty rad, besides your only a dude so like why should I listen to you anyway? Think about it man : "we r all made of starstuff"; you know who said that? Abraham Lincoln who was hella smart and probably did magic in his spare time too because he knew John Wilkes Boothe was a timelord and timelords always get their bounty (thanks obama)

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I'm glad they burned all those witches in the 15th and 16th century. I don't see any witches now. Check & mate Satan.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Zorodius posted:

if your god has physical consequences, like making prayers come true, then he is scientifically testable.
Not so precisely because of falsifiability

quote:

If he doesn't, then he can't be falsified, but he is also indistinguishable from a god that does not exist.

He cannot be falsified but He has real effects in the world which is what distinguishes the God of Israel, the God of Abraham and Moses, from other false Gods which either do not exist or at just fragmented reflections of the one true God.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

God hates calculus. :colbert:

Elaborate

Or should I say:

Show your work

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Fart Puzzle posted:

I dunno man magic seems pretty rad, besides your only a dude so like why should I listen to you anyway? Think about it man : "we r all made of starstuff"; you know who said that? Abraham Lincoln who was hella smart and probably did magic in his spare time too because he knew John Wilkes Boothe was a timelord and timelords always get their bounty (thanks obama)

You are free to question the Lord your God but I wouldn't be so bold or audacious as to try and do that because even though He tends to bestow eternal grace upon fools, every now and the He will show himself to you and it'll wreck your whole world bruh

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all our thught including scientific presupposes that the external world is rationally ordered thus validating generalisations from particulars but also that the human mind is able to discern and understand this rational order and indeed go beyond any empirical foundation to the glories and infinities of pure mathematics, we are transfinite beings on a neverending journey of understanding in love

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Dark Dungeons is a documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADLv1803Vw

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Magic: the Gathering leads directly towards Satanism.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

He cannot be falsified but He has real effects in the world

What happens now, that couldn't happen if your god did not exist?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
God drat its lucky you were born to parents that happened to believe in the absolutely correct religion.

Just like every other person of every other religion in the entire history of our species.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

God drat its lucky you were born to parents that happened to believe in the absolutely correct religion.

Just like every other person of every other religion in the entire history of our species.

all the great monotheisms share core metaphysical claims and every religion reflects the human yearning for meaning within the infinite,even hinduism is monotheistic

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im a atheist wanna fight about it huh

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
im so glad you came back commie you are a great poster

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
link me your old av ill buy it

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Zorodius posted:

What happens now, that couldn't happen if your god did not exist?

Awareness

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

thats just like your opinion, man

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

med school head posted:

link me your old av ill buy it

If you feel like buying an av someone already made one and it owns hold up I'll find it

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 22, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ranma Fan Art posted:

im a atheist wanna fight about it huh

i'm an atheist too. i'll still fight you though cuz i'm bored. wanna start a fight club? we can do it in my basement and my mom'll bring down snacks

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Cnut the Great posted:

i'm an atheist too. i'll still fight you though cuz i'm bored. wanna start a fight club? we can do it in my basement and my mom'll bring down snacks

what kind of snacks I'm. Lactose intolerant

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

If you feel like buying an av someone already made one and it owns hold up I'll find it

That's good. You should get that. You could also take it off the head and put it subtly on the sweater. Your call.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Ranma Fan Art posted:

thats just like your opinion, man

Fair, the better answer is All Things

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

if you think a just God created goblin sharks you're wrong

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ranma Fan Art posted:

if you think a just God created goblin sharks you're wrong

that was lucifer

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

504 posted:

The word you are looking for is blessed

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope now that you agree with me that the tiresomeness of an over-peopled Heaven is a purely subjective and illusory notion, a sign of human incapacity, a remnant of the old narrow-hearted aristocratic creed. ``Revere the Maker, lift thine eye up to his style and manners of the sky,'' and you will believe that this is indeed a democratic universe, in which your paltry exclusions play no regulative part. Was your taste consulted in the peopling of this globe? How, then, should it be consulted as to the peopling of the vast City of God? Let us put our hand over our mouth, like Job, and be thankful that in our personal littleness we ourselves are here at all. The Deity that suffers us, we may be sure, can suffer many another queer and wondrous and only half-delightful thing.

For my own part, then, so far as logic goes, I am willing that every leaf that ever grew in this world's forests and rustled in the breeze should become immortal. It is purely a question: are the leaves so, or not? Abstract quantity, and the abstract needlessness in our eyes of so much reduplication of things so much alike, have no connection with the subject. For bigness and number and generic similarity are only manners of our finite way of thinking; and, considered in itself and apart from our imagination, one scale of dimensions and of numbers for the Universe is no more miraculous or inconceivable than another, the moment you grant to a universe the liberty to be at all, in place of the Non-entity that might conceivably have reigned.

The heart of being can have no exclusions akin to those which our poor little hearts set up. The inner significance of other lives exceeds all our powers of sympathy and insight. If we feel a significance in our own life which would lead us spontaneously to claim its perpetuity, let us be at least tolerant of like claims made by other lives, however numerous, however unideal they may seem to us to be. Let us at any rate not decide adversely on our own claim, whose grounds we feel directly, because we cannot decide favorably on the alien claims, whose grounds we cannot feel at all. That would be letting blindness lay down the law to sight.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That's good. You should get that. You could also take it off the head and put it subtly on the sweater. Your call.

I actually had this idea myself (check my Twitter to see it) but I prefer this awesome avatar gift as it was made

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I actually had this idea myself (check my Twitter to see it) but I prefer this awesome avatar gift as it was made

Niiiiice.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=howdy%20neighbor

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

med school head posted:

im so glad you came back commie you are a great poster

Thank you so much friend! you are on my buddy list with forums poster "nvm no cake". Who made he avatar

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
i dont like good posters to not have avs because then i wont recognize them

edit: also half way into a bottle of blantons

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I'm glad you came back because we need people who are wrong here

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
"Magic" is merely shorthand for "techniques I dont understand". It would be stupid as gently caress to burn a yankee in king arthur's court for heresy when they taught all the knights about bullets or gas or w/e but thats where that line of thinking leads you.

If you can't handle a dead goat spasming around on the floor and psychosexuality that's on you, not me and not your stupid rear end god.

Hail satan.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
people who go against the grain are more interesting and deserve to stay here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

med school head posted:

people who go against the grain are more interesting and deserve to stay here

i agree and in fact just said that

• Locked thread