Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best Mike Judge project?
Beavis and Butt-Head
King of the Hill
Office Space
Idiocracy
View Results

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wall Balls posted:

king of the hill is very good but is somehow secondary output compared to beavis and butthead, silicon valley and office space

everything else he's done is shiitttt

Yeah, but I think having four top tier shows under one's belt is prettyyyy good, regardless of anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, but I think having four top tier shows under one's belt is prettyyyy good, regardless of anything else.

a feat matched only by the aarons

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ColoradoCleric posted:

king of the hill was entirely conservative apologia

a show where the main protagonist is a moron who gets swindled by his criminal boss, whom he idolizes, gets hurt by his half-brained, hypocritical conservative moral code more often than not, and is deep down aware that his life, and that of his friends, peaked in high school

pretty much glenn beck the cartoon

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
yeah if you cant see KOTH as a mockery for what all the characters stand for then idk what to tell you

its still a great show and its not like i watch it rubbing my hands together with glee over how stupid hank is. i like hank hill.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXA4sab1eKE

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
While I liked and "got" KOTH even in my teens, it wasn't until my mid 20s did I "get" the irony inherent in beavis and butthead.

I read an interesting thing that tore apart idiocracy as classist and "wrong" on a couple of levels and it made sense.

I think he's a pretty decent comic who managed to knock it out of the park with KOTH and Beavis & Butthead.

But like I said, I didn't really "get" b&b until this pantera music video commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxM0wpEPik

"You treat your step mother with respect"

Kinda that absurd humor that Adult swim patronizes

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I never got all the love for Office Space. It's a good comedy for the first half of the movie and then it just turns super boring for the last half. King of the Hill is garbage. Everything else he's done is pretty good, though.

EVIL NOONER posted:

if you cant see KOTH as a mockery for what all the characters stand for then idk what to tell you

Sure, but seeing the mockery doesn't make it good.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sorry you got triggered by a funny cartoon

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

While I liked and "got" KOTH even in my teens, it wasn't until my mid 20s did I "get" the irony inherent in beavis and butthead.

I read an interesting thing that tore apart idiocracy as classist and "wrong" on a couple of levels and it made sense.

I think he's a pretty decent comic who managed to knock it out of the park with KOTH and Beavis & Butthead.

But like I said, I didn't really "get" b&b until this pantera music video commentary:

"GODDAMNIT PANTERA!" is still uttered by my group of friends at band practices and so on. He might not be next level brilliant but he knows how to wring a laugh out of the most mundane poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frankenstyle posted:

Sure, but seeing the mockery doesn't make it good.

Correct, it's great on its own because of good and cool jokes.

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
Wow, a lot of bad/wrong opinions itt. Mike Judge owns, KOTH is his best but I have a special place in my heart for B&B.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Image being so uptight and gay that Idiocracy seems like a problematic social commentary.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I enjoyed the Hank Hill anime.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FedEx Mercury posted:

Image being so uptight and gay that Idiocracy seems like a problematic social commentary.

lots of people really wanted it to rip the climate of anti-intellectualism that peaked during the bush era to shreds but the movie didn't do that or even try to do that. Their disappointment at not getting what they wanted from the movie is stupid because that was never the plan for the movie to begin with. President Camacho owns.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The lack of KoTH in the OP is the most shameful thing I've ever seen on this forum and I was here for GE Cafe

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
king of the hill rules ive said it before and im sayin it now and will say it again

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The only inaccurate part of king of the hill was in real life Dale would have been a white supremacist in addition to being a conspiracy theorist

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Uncle Wemus posted:

The only inaccurate part of king of the hill was in real life Dale would have been a white supremacist in addition to being a conspiracy theorist

nah what is very accurate tho is that his interactions with john redcorn and his son are great so pls take this wrong opinion and flush it down a non low flow terlet

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the only inaccurate thing about koth is the scale of the state. they are clearly in a Dallas burb, but some characters say they are from South Texas

In one episode at least they drive to Dallas in an afternoon, which is impossible if you're in South Texas

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

EVIL NOONER posted:

yeah if you cant see KOTH as a mockery for what all the characters stand for then idk what to tell you

its still a great show and its not like i watch it rubbing my hands together with glee over how stupid hank is. i like hank hill.

That's not really what it is. It has genuine affection for all its characters even as it lampoons them. That's why it's so good. You're supposed to like Hank Hill.

As I hear tell that's why his liberal version of KOTH wasn't very good, but I haven't actually seen it so I couldn't say.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Cnut the Great posted:

That's not really what it is. It has genuine affection for all its characters even as it lampoons them. That's why it's so good. You're supposed to like Hank Hill.

As I hear tell that's why his liberal version of KOTH wasn't very good, but I haven't actually seen it so I couldn't say.

it is 100% making a mockery of those characters, and obviously you're supposed to like hank hill. i dont understand what point you were trying to make.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard Mike Judge say this in an interview, but they didn't want to make him one because they didn't want him to be completely unlikeable

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
counterpoint: i dont think the other guys would be friends with a white supremacist

E: then again they put up with bill so who knows

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

EVIL NOONER posted:

it is 100% making a mockery of those characters, and obviously you're supposed to like hank hill. i dont understand what point you were trying to make.

I thought you were saying that you weren't supposed to like Hank Hill, but that you did anyway. I'm sorry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
you are meant to like him

you are not supposed to think hes a cool dude who always shows those libtards their place

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i think mike judge is a cool dude who always shows those libtards their place

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Butt-head exclaiming "Whoa..." and "Cool" will never stop being hilarious

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296jHs4im-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hfQbL4Tk8

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

There's seriously a comment on that video asking for a child abuse trigger warning, I mean yeah I know "youtube comments" but come on now

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

FedEx Mercury posted:

I've been to D&D, I dont need to imagine it

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Thank you drive thru.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Judge ip s funny when he likes the topic or is focused on some pretty good jokes, and really uncomfortable when he wants to be preachy or bitter (can never wash off the Goode stench)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

EVIL NOONER posted:

It's not really a mockery; Hank gets stubborn about things, but his moral code is usually a good one that clashes with reality. In the end he still has the moral code, but grows as a person and admits when he's wrong

You dont have to make every show outside a big city you like an epic takedown of conservatives to feel ok watching it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

king of the hill is my bible and favourite anime

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Neurolimal posted:

You dont have to make every show outside a big city you like an epic takedown of conservatives to feel ok watching it

shut the gently caress up you dumb poo poo lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neurolimal posted:

It's not really a mockery; Hank gets stubborn about things, but his moral code is usually a good one that clashes with reality. In the end he still has the moral code, but grows as a person and admits when he's wrong

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

b-minus1 posted:

Butt-head exclaiming "Whoa..." and "Cool" will never stop being hilarious

Or him telling Beavis to settle down. I always say" Settle down Beavis" during online games when one of my teammates gets pissy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

FedEx Mercury posted:

people really think that it will happem

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Mike Judge has a degree in physics and is a pretty relaxed guy. I know this because after I got one I was all what am I gonna do with this?

I'd vote he's definitely a skilled dude who didn't accidentally make something good, because he has made many good things that don't all use the same formula.

How he got beavis & butthead to air is a story in itself, and another great Judge story is how bad he got hosed by MTV on getting paid for it. He's also buds with Knoxville of Jackass fame in real life.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

ColoradoCleric posted:

king of the hill was entirely conservative apologia

In no way, shape, or form did you understand King of the Hill. Literally everything from the propane festival to his piggly son getting gout and kicking other guys in the balls and screaming let go of my purse to him being accused of murder and smoking a J, and everyone from Hank's war veteran piece of poo poo dad to Debbie to Bill to Hank's stupid rear end wife, was making fun of the nuclear family, conservatism, and the way we see ourselves in the past as we try to move forward. Hank loses almost every time. The only thing that isn't total garbage about him are his connections to other humans (who he chooses to treat like idiots). It's like Bob's Burgers but less obvious.

• Locked thread