Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Earlier this year, in January or so, I realized something: I've spent so much money on games over the last few years- so much money on video games, oh my gosh, I own like 500 games on Steam that I haven't touched because they were Humble Bundle extras... I own so many games that I'd probably never need to buy another game again....

But I will :twisted:

Rather than continue doing what I'd been doing up until then (spending half of my disposable income on any game that even remotely caught my interest like some kind of psychopath retail therapy) though, I went and made a list of games coming out in 2016 that I knew for sure I would play after buying them. I started out at around 40 (!!) games, but as the months went on I either decided to replace some of the games with more interesting games, or just decided not to buy some due to losing interest, and at this point I think I'll have 20 or so new releases from this year and about a dozen or so older games. I saved a ton of money throughout this year, and all I had to do was not spend it on games I only vaguely cared about. If you want to do this too you can! Here are some guidelines:

1. Don't deviate from the list!!! If you want to get a game that isn't on your list, like maybe you just got interested in it suddenly, or you didn't know about it when you made the list, or they just announced it or something, instead of adding it to the list outright, remove a game you're less interested in (preferably one that's the same/higher price) first.
2. Know which games you REALLY want, and which ones, ah not so much. I set my list into 3 categories
Priority 1: Games youre really really excited for. Definitely not taking these off the list. You'll probably get the expensive special edition, if there is one.
Priority 2: Games that interest you, but you'd be willing to wait for them to go on sale, or bump them off the list if you want to add another priority 1 game.
Priority 3: Games that seem good, but you're uncertain if they'll turn out ok, or if you'll really end up getting them. These will usually get knocked off the list first, and they're mostly just there in the first place as a reminder to keep an eye on them.

3. No Humble Bundles or bulk purchases during sales. $7 for a dozen games seems like a great deal until a year passes and you only played one of them... for an hour. Yikes

Q: I make a p deece six figgies and video games are basically the only thing I spend my disposable income on. I could buy a thousand full price games right this second if I wanted to. Why should I bother with a stupid list.
A: The list doesn't just save money, it also saves precious time. Think of it this way: would you rather buy a hundred games, many of which go untouched, or buy 20 games you can really devote your time to? Hmmmm...

Of course, you don't have to follow any guidelines at all. In fact, the main reason I made this thread isn't to tell you about this radical new 'budgeting' idea that I invented, but so you can all just brainstorm which games you want coming out in 2017, and give each other feedback and ideas :) Let's see those lists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

My list (work in progress!)

Priority 1
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mount and Blade: Bannerlord
Red Dead Redemption 2
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS
Call of Duty 2018 Edition

Priority 2
Halo Wars 2
For Honor
Strafe
Persona 5
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Dawn of War III
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

Priority 3
Yooka-Laylee
Ever Oasis
The Snack World

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blood stained is top of the list for me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I just found out theres a new Layton game coming next year so I'm buying that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Persona 5 & RDR2 are my only must-buys for 2017. As it is now I already have like five other 16 releases to get to in the meantime

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Priority 1:
Overwatch loot crates, overwatch costume DLC
CoD coins and Elite case openers
GTA Online Shark Cards
re-buying SNES games for my 3ds

The Rest:
Everything else depending in what I can afford.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Considering the P5 epic $80 bundle just to get the mascot toy to match my Raidou-Frost from preordering Devil Summoner 2.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually revise that the castlevania, rdr2, are must buys. I'm crossing my fingers that RE7 and Outlast 2 will be good enough to pick up close to their releases, but they come out really close to one another so I might have to pick.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bloodstained is a 2018 game.

I will definitely brainstorm my 2017 game plan later. I think I'll have a hard time following it because I do a lot of impulse buys. But I do at least play most of them.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
In 2017 I think I'm gonna really reconnect with some of the games I that formed my personal gamer profile, and some natural evolutions of it. I've started a real life and I only have time to low key game :^) :^) :^(. I would also like to beat at least one game I didn't actually beat in the past. I'm thinking I want to tackle: Mega Man 3, Super Paper Mario, and... a Castlevania game.

This is just on top of my regular gamer load consisting of FFXIV and LoL. Obviously I gotta cut way back on these games in the year 2k17 (for my family), but if I could accomplish these other gaming goals, hey - maybe I might feel pretty good. :^))

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

what he said

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Priority 1
-nier automata
-tekken 7
-nintendo switch
-zelda switch
-mario switch (if it's not like mario 64 it will get knocked off the list)
-
-
-
-
-
-

Priority 2
-ukulele

Priority 3
-persona 5

Not sure of all that's coming out in 2017 so i left 6 slots open to play it safe. next year i mostly want to work on my backlog, though

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 23, 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
;_;

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Bloodstained is a 2018 game.

I will definitely brainstorm my 2017 game plan later. I think I'll have a hard time following it because I do a lot of impulse buys. But I do at least play most of them.

Oh yeah. Thanks

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
so far im interested in persona 5 and nier: automata and nintendo games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
real excited about Nier, Persona, and Nioh. First couple months of 2017 are gonna be crazy

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

goferchan posted:

real excited about Nier, Persona, and Nioh. First couple months of 2017 are gonna be crazy

this is my list except just add in the berserk musou game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lolol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Nier, Persona 5, Yakuza 0

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Oh and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King for the 3DS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier, P5 and Zelda OP. And the new Mario, Splatoon and Mario Kart.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Nier, Persona 5, and the new Nintendo system.

I'm also thinking about getting a PSVR.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot Nier. I'm gonna sell crack to buy a psvr

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kingdom Hearts 3 too!!!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

goferchan posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 too!!!

They still haven't announced a release date, so I doubt it'll be coming out until 2018.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Afterbirth+ which I think is out soon?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

gonna play it by ear, OP

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Like this year, I think 2017 is going to be another catch up year for me. But I am ready for the one true nintendo

Priority 1
Nintendo Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Whatever other big franchise games they have, Super Mario/Kart/Maker/Splatoon
Persona 5
Rock of Ages 2

Priority 2
Nier: Automata
System Shock remake
Mass Effect if it comes out

Priority 3
Nioh
Yakuza 0

Kickstarted :P
Bloodstained
Yooka-Laylee
Psychonauts 2

This also prompted me to clean out my Steam wishlist but there's still plenty of stuff that hasn't been the right price at the right time yet.. Dragon's Dogma, Divinity: Original Sin, Superhot..

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Dongicus posted:

Afterbirth+ which I think is out soon?

i hope its good

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I forgot Bloodstained

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
p1

Dishonored 2
New Zelda
Other Dark Souls DLC
DQ Builders at some point

p2

Wii-u back catalog, haven't figured out what, but probably 2 or 3 games

p3

probably some cool low-key games on steam that go on sale or look neat in my queue

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

-Super Cuckio Brothers

-The Legend of Cucks: Cuck of the Wild

-Super Cuckoid

-C.U.C.K.

-Cuck Effect 3

-Grand Theft Cuck

-Red Cuck Recucktion 2

-Cuckout 4

-Cuckia III

Will update if i get any really funny ideas for

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I sell games when Im done with them unless I really like the game since i dont like having a lot of clutter in my place. plus i dont feel nothing to spend like £2000 a year on games or whatever it is i spend cos i get more than haklf of it back.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

-Super Cuckio Brothers

-The Legend of Cucks: Cuck of the Wild

-Super Cuckoid

-C.U.C.K.

-Cuck Effect 3

-Grand Theft Cuck

-Red Cuck Recucktion 2

-Cuckout 4

-Cuckia III

Will update if i get any really funny ideas for

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cuck's Quest

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I wonder how much money I've saved solely due to Valve flooding Steam with so much Greenlight poo poo that actual decent releases are way harder to find.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Priority 1: Replay every Metal Gear in release order assuming my girlfriend doesn't bogart the PS4 when Persona 5 comes out (she will)

Priority 2: Replay Red Dead Redemption before Fall 2017 Q2 2018 when 2 comes out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

All the Kingdom Hearts Remix games just got announced for PS4 in March..... nice....

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

All the Kingdom Hearts Remix games just got announced for PS4 in March..... nice....

ahhh gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want DDD on ps4 please

• Locked thread