Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

goferchan posted:

triple deluxe = 3D

yeah & it's a ref to superstar which is called Super Deluxe in japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
super star has the coolest japanese box art, im so jealous

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Someone post all the side by side comparisons of US/JPN box art that shows how much they tried to make him a badass for the US.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got to Course 6 Hole 7 with 3 lives and lost all of them over the course of 14 shots.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im gonna buy Dream COurse for 3DS so I can play this on commutes and work on perfecting and unlocking all the ECs. I love this game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Im gonna buy Dream COurse for 3DS so I can play this on commutes and work on perfecting and unlocking all the ECs. I love this game
It's so loving good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Course 8 is kicking my rear end but Ill conquer it and try out some more games again. Probably stream some Kirby Avalanche and Super Star tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Course 8 done and then I immediately bought it on 3Ds and got the gold medal on Course 1. come a long way since that first putt...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know you said no remakes but Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA, remake of Kirby Adventure) is really great

When I was 4 years old this was my favorite song

Not in the game like literally my favorite song

I would go into the music test mode and leave it on I the background while I played with Lego or something

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Kirby hasn't had a single remake since KSSU.

Ever since Return to Dreamland mainline Kirby games have gotten better and better. RtDL, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot are my favorite 3. I just bought Planet Robobot for my sister for her bday and she has my copy of KSSU too. I love Kirby.

I haven't played Return or Robobot yet but I didn't like 3D much for whatever reason and I was mildly obsessed with Kirby and used to do like single power challenge runs and stuff

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

3D is good but Robobot is a lot better and way more memorable

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Robobot is GOTY contender.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know you said no remakes but Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA, remake of Kirby Adventure) is really great
It's nice to see it run without slowdown, but losing the original NES graphics hurts.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bill Barber posted:

Robobot is GOTY contender.

It gets at least best OST this year.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's nice to see it run without slowdown, but losing the original NES graphics hurts.

The GBa graphics were some of the nicest spritework I've seen till now in some cases

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The GBa graphics were some of the nicest spritework I've seen till now in some cases
This is why I love Kirby Superstar Ultra on the DS.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Same here

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thirded.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training live with Kirby's Avalanche in a bit, which is just a puyo puyo game I believe. Then ill also start up super star.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played through the Dream Land part of super star, the bird map, did some Kirby Samurai and Gourmet Race before doing a good chunk of the Meta Knight one before stopping. This is one hell of a game.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In Training posted:

I played through the Dream Land part of super star, the bird map, did some Kirby Samurai and Gourmet Race before doing a good chunk of the Meta Knight one before stopping. This is one hell of a game.

You have yet to see the best parts, Great Cave Offensive and Milkyway Wishes.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I need to get around to playing Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I discovered the demo menu that shows you tips and tricks in Dream Course and found out what the A button does and my mind is blown open with new course possibilities

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna stream some more Kirby tonight in a few. The finale of super star and then move onto Dream Land 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training live with Super Star

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ran through quite a few tonight. Love the art style of Dream Land 3 but first reaction, the gameplay is quite a step back from Super Star. Star Stacker had some cool ideas for a puzzle game without obvious influence but it's too drat slow! Would have been cool if they made more games and refined their ideas

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
the Super Famicom version of Star Stacker is better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

the Super Famicom version of Star Stacker is better

I'll have to check this out. I assume super Famicom emulation is as easy as SNES?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

I'll have to check this out. I assume super Famicom emulation is as easy as SNES?

There's no difference between sfc roms and snes roms

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you gotta pull the tabs out of your emulator

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

Ran through quite a few tonight. Love the art style of Dream Land 3 but first reaction, the gameplay is quite a step back from Super Star.

Yeah it totally is. Probably the only Kirby I started and didn't beat even though I have it on my Wii U, the concept of having all the different partners combine with different abilities was cool but the actual gameplay was just worse.

I was trying to get emulation to work on my Vita for a while then these threads made me realize I still have the DS carts for Castlevania (all 3), chrono trigger, and Super Star and I would be happier playing those

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Ran through quite a few tonight. Love the art style of Dream Land 3 but first reaction, the gameplay is quite a step back from Super Star. Star Stacker had some cool ideas for a puzzle game without obvious influence but it's too drat slow! Would have been cool if they made more games and refined their ideas
Dream Land 3 is my least-favorite of the mainline Kirby games. It just isn't very memorable. Kirby 64 borrows a lot of ideas from it and does them better.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

my fav part of dreamland 3 is penguin + lightning.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i love kirby. i love him

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

In Training posted:

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

you gotta pull the tabs out of your emulator

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

:laugh:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

people dont like it cause the sound is a little messed up from snes -> ds but thats such a minor thing to get hung up on in the face of all the stuff they added and the smooth sprites

I like the original more because Ultra has slightly tweaked physics and there's no co-op, but they're both top tier games

v true, Kirby's Adventure looks so good despite hardware limitations at the time though, the color palette is never not amazing

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Looper posted:

I like the original more because Ultra has slightly tweaked physics and there's no co-op, but they're both top tier games

v true, Kirby's Adventure looks so good despite hardware limitations at the time though, the color palette is never not amazing

Ultra has co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

some new satellaview kirby minigames got dumped for the first time... Rare Kirby over here https://satellaview.org/

https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/804032046658158598

• Locked thread