Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
$1600nz worth of the finest panel damage, mismatched rims, questionable odometer readings and leaky 4AGE a sight unseen Facebook purchased, inspected by a friend 1990 Corolla AE92 FX GT can supply. Now I have to drive it 600km home. Wish me luck.

All fluids are at least nominally present, the leaks appear to be slow, the brakes shudder dreadfully but work, the radiator fan clicks on eventually and all lights work, if having an alarming effect on the voltage gauge. We are A GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Made it over the 1100m Crown Range. No obvious issues except a warped rotor. Super fun to drive

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cool old AE92. You can't kill the 4AGE, I tried with running the oil sump almost empty on my old AE82.

It won't take much to get that looking good again. It probably needs new cam seals/crank seals if its leaking

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I would kill to find one of these in the US. All we got was the tercel hatchback which came close to looking like this. America is full of idiots who don't appreciate awesome cars. Awesome car and can't wait for more picture full updates like you usually post.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Was it Diz who was the guy in Australia or NZ who had one of these that promptly got written off by an idiot?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thing rules.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Awesome car, and you live in the greatest country, scenery-wise, on earth. Color me jealous.

This was our ride for 18 days in 2009...

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 23, 2016

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

clam ache posted:

I would kill to find one of these in the US. All we got was the tercel hatchback which came close to looking like this. America is full of idiots who don't appreciate awesome cars. Awesome car and can't wait for more picture full updates like you usually post.

The US did get the AE82 Corolla FX16, 4AGE and all. We did not, however, get the AE92 version.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DJ Commie posted:

The US did get the AE82 Corolla FX16, 4AGE and all. We did not, however, get the AE92 version.

We did get the AE92 coupes but only for a couple of years. They are quite rare.

Your hatch owns, voted 5

e; unless you specifically meant the AE92 hatch in which case I apologize.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Camped in the back of my gfs car at Lake Wanaka overnight. 155km to go and zero problems yet. I'm almost disappointed. May have used most of a tank already by fanging it unnecessarily in 3rd because holy poo poo it's fun

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gimpsuitjones posted:

155km to go and zero problems yet. I'm almost disappointed.

don't jinx it

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What are you talking about, that thing's fuckin mint

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

"Nugget [of gold]", clearly.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

We did get the AE92 coupes but only for a couple of years. They are quite rare.

Your hatch owns, voted 5

e; unless you specifically meant the AE92 hatch in which case I apologize.

Yup. But truthfully for me to find any Toyota of that vintage around Chicago involves $$$$$$ or rust at a sockington scale.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

It's choice, bro

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I drive worse to 80 miles round trip daily.

That's loving posh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Canada didn't get any of the Corolla FXes so I'm big on enjoying this thread.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Made it home.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

"Nugget [of gold]", clearly.

"Brown Gold, the Texas T (&AaAaAaAeeeeeyyy)"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Wow Tinder sure does work differently in the South Island.

I've always liked the old FX-GTs, they have something that Toyota just lacks these days. If yours doesn't have too much rust I can't see how you can go wrong.

You gotta get rid of that single hubcap though :p

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah with the exception of that one 2ZZ-GE sportivo that we in Australia got (not sure about the rest of y'all), Corollas have been boring eco garbage since they stopped putting 4A-GEs in 'em. Partner has an 08 6spd, and it does that thing where the engine holds revs artificially through changes, which makes it shift like it has a 50kg flywheel .

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

The Goal is that this car will be my daily driver, saving wear on my Landcruiser doing the 1.8km trip to the office. Probably not good for my old diesel to be doing short cold runs all the time, and thrashing a cheap Corolla is better than a premature diesel rebuild. Plus 3 of the tyres I want for the cruiser cost more than this whole car. I'm also hoping to give it a thrash at some track days, with modifications in the future. It's a mostly rust free shell, just some cosmetic surface spots, and mostly mechanically/electrically sound.

Progress.

Front rotors look ok visually but I'm fairly sure one of them was the cause of my nasty pedal/steering shudder under braking so I guess I'll get them checked for runout

The seats are amazingly late 80s

Wicked high-tech looking headrests

Sweet GT TWINCAM 16 badging

Removed a bunch of crap that was in the car. Space saver and jack (no other tools), 3 brake pads, a seatbelt, a sprig of rosemary, 40 cents, etc.

To do:
-get replacement FR guard panel, spray to match, fit
-replacement FR head and park light
-replacement bonnet and spray to match
-fix body kit damage
-fix or replace rear bumper
-replace front grille, it's just flopping around with broken clips. Cable ties maybe
-replacement steering wheel (it's worn to the foam and unfixably sticky)
-track down the braking issue further and solve
-get some matching, quality, wheels and tyres
-change all fluids and filters
-change plugs
-timing belt and water pump
-pulley bearing? Unclear which one
-radiator seems to have a slow leak
-fix or replace drivers and passenger door handles

-get a passenger sun visor
-clean the interior
-possibly fix or replace the rear hatch, it's had an impact but still works fine

-possibly new front shocks/springs, they appear mismatched
-adjust handbrake (can't do skids)

Any ideas what this light means? (Not the doors)

The manual isn't much help

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 25, 2016

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

dissss posted:

Wow Tinder sure does work differently in the South Island.

I've always liked the old FX-GTs, they have something that Toyota just lacks these days. If yours doesn't have too much rust I can't see how you can go wrong.

You gotta get rid of that single hubcap though :p

The single hubcap is in the bin and the steelies (with mismatched tyres) are joining it as soon as I find some suitably radical alloys

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gimpsuitjones posted:

Any ideas what this light means? (Not the doors)

The manual isn't much help

Blown rear tail lights?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Nah they work

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

gimpsuitjones posted:

Nah they work

How about a brake light? My Camry has the same warning light and that's what's causing it to come on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is what I get from Google:

And when I stepped on the brake pedal when the engine rotation 吼 light switch to ON, the lights that there is an abnormality in the bulb out wiring of each lamp.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ah, they don't *all* work

There was about a litre of water in the tail light

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gimpsuitjones posted:

Nah they work

gimpsuitjones posted:

:colbert:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah, that's just a generic "there's a light out" hazard. Could be an indicator, fog light, whatever.. it'll just stay lit when you flick them on until you find the culprit.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I think it's picking up a fault in the wiring/corroded sockets cos with the bulbs replaced and working it still comes on. Will investigate further.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gimpsuitjones posted:

I think it's picking up a fault in the wiring/corroded sockets cos with the bulbs replaced and working it still comes on. Will investigate further.

On my old Volvo sometimes it would light up if you had different brand bulbs and stuff. They get sensitive for some reason.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

gimpsuitjones posted:

Seriously, people who just don't understand the difference between blinker fluid and water seriously worries me....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlesM posted:

On my old Volvo sometimes it would light up if you had different brand bulbs and stuff. They get sensitive for some reason.

Not sure how they implemented this system, but when all the bulbs are wired onto the same circuit (they almost certainly are) it has to detect if any one of them fails, so the ok vs not-ok testing isn't just "is it drawing current?" anymore, and depending on how careful they were, different brand bulbs or different wattage bulbs can trigger it, even if they fit in the socket fine and light up fine. And sometimes the parts used in the current measurement circuit will drift in value over the years, since it's a 20+ year old car, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happened. So I'd start by looking for corroded or worn wiring and connectors that could be reducing current draw from the bulbs, but also check all the bulbs on the circuit with the issue and see if they're the original specced bulb. For example a 3057 and a 3157 dual filament wedge base bulb both fit the same socket (iirc), but have different filament wattages and may confuse bulb outage detector circuits as a result.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 238 days!)

Pretty much everything Ken said. Check for any bulbs that are not what it calls for, and if you can't find errant bulbs, look for any replaced with LEDs? If so, that'll most likely be it. Your best means of tracking this down may very well be putting a resistor across a dead bulb terminal and seeing if/when the message goes away. That's what I did to get the proper resistance to get my system to shut the heck up.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I got a new panel, should fit once I pop off that bit of rando trim and paint it

Also got new rotors and pads but they're the wrong ones somehow, thanks repco

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
$1600NZ is like... $400USD right?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It's pretty cheap, but not ridiculously cheap. Gonna go get the correct rotors and pads this afternoon and maybe some brake fluid to flush the lines. Can't find a workshop manual for an ae92 Corolla fuckin anywhere

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Can't find a workshop manual for an ae92 Corolla fuckin anywhere
I might have one in my garage. Will try and remember to check tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Chur ^^

So it turns out that my car has some weird unicorn brakes that only came on like one model year in Japan or something, which is why repco kept giving me the wrong discs. On the plus side I found the right discs at BNT for like $71 each instead of $183 each genuine Toyota, and also they're 258mm instead of the standard 238mm so presumably that is better.

• Locked thread