Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
if the steering wheel is the same awful plastic unit as regular ae92s, a great bolt-on upgraded is the ae82 twin cam unit (also used in some aw11s and ae86s iirc) its much nicer and fairly easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Some dude on trademe is trying to sell an AE82 twincam steering wheel for $250 on trademe haha

Cheers for the tip the current wheel is grotty and kinda poo poo

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

gimpsuitjones posted:

Some dude on trademe is trying to sell an AE82 twincam steering wheel for $250 on trademe haha

Cheers for the tip the current wheel is grotty and kinda poo poo

i can check my parts stash for one and you can have it for a slab + shipping, which might be cheaper than sourcing one locally, if i dont have one (i might have sold it) i can give you one from my next junkyard run (its on my list of oem parts that are a quick and easy flip from the junkyards) / i have like 3 friends who im tight with who both have bottomless parts stashes and last one i sold went for 80 bucks

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

really stuck up there posted:

i can check my parts stash for one and you can have it for a slab + shipping, which might be cheaper than sourcing one locally, if i dont have one (i might have sold it) i can give you one from my next junkyard run (its on my list of oem parts that are a quick and easy flip from the junkyards) / i have like 3 friends who im tight with who both have bottomless parts stashes and last one i sold went for 80 bucks

That'd be awesome, cheers.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So the panel I bought to replace the hosed front guard is from a standard AE92 and doesn't actually fit the FXGT, the park lights are different. Have bought a new guard (again) and am waiting for it to arrive in the post.

Got some appropriately sized brakes after much drama ($71 per rotor)

Fitted them and went for a burn up and down the street, doesn't appear to have the wobble anymore, but that's only at speeds of up to 50k's and on a wet street so they kept locking up

Victory (with no panel, FR or RL indicators or lights)

gimpsuitjones posted:

To do:
-get replacement FR guard panel, spray to match, fit
-replacement FR head and park light
-replacement bonnet and spray to match
-fix body kit damage
-fix or replace rear bumper
-replace front grille, it's just flopping around with broken clips. Cable ties maybe
-replacement steering wheel (it's worn to the foam and unfixably sticky)
-track down the braking issue further and solve
-get some matching, quality, wheels and tyres
-change all fluids and filters
-change plugs
-timing belt and water pump
-pulley bearing? Unclear which one
-radiator seems to have a slow leak
-fix or replace drivers and passenger door handles
-get a passenger sun visor
-clean the interior
-possibly fix or replace the rear hatch, it's had an impact but still works fine
-possibly new front shocks/springs, they appear mismatched
-adjust handbrake (can't do skids)

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 9, 2016

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

the taillight warning seems to have resolved itself using my method of disassemble, go away for work for 2 weeks, come home and reassemble. no more warning light and all seems functional. good.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Got a replacement panel and headlights. Gave the panel a rough spray with colour matched rattle can. Fitment is a bit poo poo, of both panel and lights. Need to pull it all apart again probably and try realign things. Looks not quite as poo poo, but still very poo poo. Brakes are definitely fixed though, took it out to a back road and jumped on the brakes at 100, stops fast and straight. Got a timing belt kit but can't be arsed trying to do it any time soon.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Finally got around to changing the oil and filter. Also tried to track down the source of some belt/pulley noise I couldn't work out, pulled off the timing cover and the belt looks in good nick and pretty new, I think I tracked it down to the air con compressor pulley - bad bearing maybe. Seems to have quietened down mostly since I tensioned the belt right up anyway.

Ignition lead plug was extremely stuck in the distributor and broke off when I was removing it, drilled out the stuck bits and cleaned out the socket and it still seems to work minus half the plug. Might get a new lead.

Have listed this car for sale though as it's in rougher condition that I was expecting when I bought it and I'm not really stoked with it, looking for something else. Maybe an SW20 MR2 turbo

Timing gears & belt. man packaging on compact cars is tight compared to massive empty landcruiser engine bay

this is cable tied to my RF axle. no idea what it's meant to be.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its a 'vibration damper', I assume the axle shaft floats slightly and rattles or vibrates at certain frequencies/speeds/suspension positions. I've never had a non-OEM axle that had one, and I never noticed any differences.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I have some non-grotty AW11 steering wheels if you want to pay me to ship it around the world. Both a mk1a and mk1b wheel.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

TWSS posted:

I have some non-grotty AW11 steering wheels if you want to pay me to ship it around the world. Both a mk1a and mk1b wheel.

What do you want for them? I'm keen. PM me?

Took the FXGT out earlier and smashed it down a gravel road, pretty rad fun "drifting" corners with the handbrake. Might keep it and just thrash it

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Its a 'vibration damper', I assume the axle shaft floats slightly and rattles or vibrates at certain frequencies/speeds/suspension positions. I've never had a non-OEM axle that had one, and I never noticed any differences.

Is it supposed to be cable tied on

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hah, it's not doing anything anymore since it isn't really connected to the axle.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Hah, it's not doing anything anymore since it isn't really connected to the axle.

Well it's a balance rubber so it still is mostly working. Which describes 90% of all Toyota axles

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I think it's more for vibration damping, not balance.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

I think it's more for vibration damping, not balance.

Well vibration in a spinning object such as an axle comes from being off balance correct?? So we're basically having a conversation on how one pronounces potato?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

clam ache posted:

Well vibration in a spinning object such as an axle comes from being off balance correct?? So we're basically having a conversation on how one pronounces potato?

Not always, there could be wacky harmonics at work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm saying it's not really damping anything since it really isn't connected to the axle anymore. This is more like a harmonic balancer on a crank pulley vs. a wheel weight. Similar but still different.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

I'm saying it's not really damping anything since it really isn't connected to the axle anymore. This is more like a harmonic balancer on a crank pulley vs. a wheel weight. Similar but still different.

You know the balancer and the pulley are the same thing right? Like you are using different words and saying the same exact thing. As we are doing. Because when an object is spining in any way shape or form it needs other objects to help it balance and stay in a perfect circle of spinning.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I was phone posting before so last post was a bit abrupt. A harmonic balancer has rubber in it to dampen the vibrations and harmonic frequencies of the engine in the event that it isn't perfectly balanced (it isn't). Yes, it is also the pulley but it serves an additional purpose to dampen harmonics to keep away from the natural frequency(ies) that may occur. That's why I compared it to a wheel weight, which is for balancing only since it does nothing to dampen vibration. Balance and vibration are related but still different things.

Last post from me for this derail. Agree to disagree if you like. :)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 4, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The harmonic balancer is also there to dampen the harmonics of the cranshaft which will crack the crankshaft over time if not absorbed by a dampener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

clam ache posted:

Because when an object is spining in any way shape or form it needs other objects to help it balance and stay in a perfect circle of spinning.

... No.

And no ziptying it back on won't make it work again. The moment of inertia of the donut and the torsional stiffness of the rubber spokes connecting it to the shaft are both going to affect what its frequency response is. It ziptied back on could actually be worse for making vibration noise from the cv sockets than removing it entirely depending on how it affected the whole thing.

• Locked thread