Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideas? Multiple choice.
Rename it to something that includes several nature hobbies
More serious tone, more science more grammar
Less serious, less grammar broader range of people
Rename it to T.S. Eliot poem words and hide it further down the list so it's trendy
View Results

• Locked thread
Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Fear.

Fear, intimidation, and a willingness to be the very best. It will save our forum like the application of maggots to a festering wound.

Also, in the event of a Trump presidency I'm probably going to get murked by the Russians. It was an honor posting with all y'all.

I also bought I real nice gore-tex shell, I like it lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We can distribute posts and threadshitting like that Kevin Costner film The Postman.

I'm Neil Young.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This is good. Can we include WWE style callouts?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Fuuuuuck, hoisted by my own Pettard.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I believe in u

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Stout, you could come kick it with me, but I will probably get murked by the Russians.

We have many mushroom here.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

What do frozen bog mushrooms taste like? Also you should bring some of the woodworking thread guys to this subforum, GBS is 50 percent low effort Trump threads and maybe 1 funny Trump thread, I need this to become my vacation home/forum, recruit! Get out and sell!

If you have any mushroom pictures you've taken get 'em ready once I stop being lazy and put a thread up. Did you ever try carving birch skis? Or can you find me an old ancient Finnish guy who looks like Genghis Khan to teach me? Mine cracked while drying and I am rapidly running out of time to try again for this winter.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a magical period of the year where the bog switches from frozen to melty and filled with unholy swarms of mosquitos. This is the time to slowly wander through them looking for mushrooms and berries.

There's a super intense tradition of mushrooming in Finland, and while I'm not an expert, I've taken a few courses and know enough to gather with the help of a guidebook. Many of the North American classics, like chanterelles and porcinis can be found. I promise to help with your thread if you start it up. Make RSF Great Again.

Still haven't had a chance to try making skis, I'm stalled on making a changing table for some friends of mine, and have a lathe to make after.

Tomorrow I'll be teaching a course on hewing logs, we just got our first big snow, so we'll see how it goes getting to the course site.

Have you seen Herzog's The Happy People? There' a great scene of a gnarly Siberian dude making his skis.

Outdoors people love stuff. Maybe a general gear bragging/argument thread?

Did you find a backpack?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The US, particularly the east coast is super lucky when it comes to trees and biodiversity in general. Every time I'm back I'm tempted to try to stuff empty spaces in my suitcase with American hardwoods. Here's a monster pike.

The class was mostly focused on technique, it was only three hours long, just enough to give people a chance to see the equipment, general technique, and hit things with axes in the woods for an afternoon.

I use a pair of log dogs to spike the log to be hewed in place on my hewing benches, then mark out a square of the size I want on the small end of a log. I strike two lines delineating a plane to the other side with a chalkline, and mark out another square there.

I then use an axe to chop out notches about 2 feet apart almost down to the chalklines. The axe then splits away the sections left between the notches, allowing better control against run out, and a much easier job.

The log can the be rotated 90 degrees, spiked back in place, and a single-bevel broadaxe used to work across the grain to remove the last bits and leave a more exact surface.

Repeat four times and regret.

It's probably for the best that the handtool stuff sticks in the general woodworking thread, there's not all that many purely handtool woodworkers, and I think a few of them just really like getting preachy about people not shelling out thousands on starting a hobby. It's always nicer when people just chill out and are supportive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Dogg, faggotry? I get you're a super manly man, but methinks the lady doth protest too much.

• Locked thread