Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideas? Multiple choice.
Rename it to something that includes several nature hobbies
More serious tone, more science more grammar
Less serious, less grammar broader range of people
Rename it to T.S. Eliot poem words and hide it further down the list so it's trendy
View Results

• Locked thread
Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ASSTASTIC posted:

Is there a more serious gear related thread? There should be a megathread about answering questions and posting gear setups. Some folks might be looking for recommendations on day hiking setups, as well as ultralight, or even bushcraft as well.

I used to work at REI from 2008-2011 so I have some knowledge and I have collected a poo poo ton of gear. I wouldn't mind commenting and helping some people out.

This is a fantastic idea, and I'm cobbling one together now.

Problem is 99% of the outdoors traffic is in the hiking and backpacking megathread. Could we move that thread to this subforum? The other problem is that if other posters are like me, they just keep up with their bookmarked threads and don't poke their heads out often enough to find new threads.

I would really love to see a megathread for outdoor activities, eg kayaking, climbing, cycling, that kinda thing. What makes SA forums stand out are quality OP's in the threads, which catch everyone up to a certain level and provide good easy to access information for the uninitiated. Megathreads covering interesting hobbies and quality content are what bring me SA the most often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Psycho Society posted:

Here's a question for you dudes. Say you spontaneously decide to go hiking out your front door tomorrow morning. What's the longest distance you'll plan to hike before coming back home?

Depends on what kinda shape you're in, where, you're going, etc etc etc. Go to a metro park with water fountains and try a few miles, and keep adding from there. ~4 miles is a good starting target, I do 6-7 miles every Wednesday evening with a group at a fast 4+mph pace, 12-16 is a good day hike target (eg bringing lunch, a pack, several liters of water, etc). Backpacking overnight depends on terrain, but usually ~10-15 miles is a good target, maybe with some day hiking from the campsite.

People are capable of accomplishing a lot more than we think.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Picnic Princess posted:

It's currently too hot to go outside right now in most places. This sucks.

Lies, heat is just a state of mind.

Or, you could switch up the outdoors activities for water based ones like kayaking camping... That's what my backpacking group mainly does during the summer

• Locked thread