Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideas? Multiple choice.
Rename it to something that includes several nature hobbies
More serious tone, more science more grammar
Less serious, less grammar broader range of people
Rename it to T.S. Eliot poem words and hide it further down the list so it's trendy
View Results

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I love this god drat forum. But the average reply time must be a week. And that's for one reply, not a guaranteed expert or someone in your region who might be familiar with the terrain, a species of plant or mushroom, fish etc. Let's face it: This forum owns and yet if you were to post a nature, hiking or climbing related thread in GBS it'd get 10 times more replies even if you subtract all the comedy replies and poo poo posts.

I'm not a mod, I'm not changing anything or even proposing we do, I'm just asking what do you guys think it would take to get this sub forum really going? If you take the posts from the PYF fishing thread, the DIY woodworking thread, GBS, BYOB, and TCC I'm sure we have plenty enough goons to talk about hiking, climbing, carving poo poo out of wood, eating mushrooms, camping and all this cool poo poo.

Any ideas? I wonder if renaming it, updating the rules and clarifying the purpose and the tone here would be enough.

TLDR: I really want everyone to use this subforum, it was a very good idea and if everyone knew more about it I think it would succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

Just wait until the election. People will come flocking here looking for survival tips after their country burns to the ground.

I'm taking refugee applications for goons interested in becoming bushmen in the wild Canadian north. I have experience in wilderness survival and living in the woods like a hobo so I can start training immediately upon arrival.

In 2017 the words "socialized medicine" will mean the billions of cells that grow underground as each thread of the mycelium of mushrooms connect, eventually leading to fruiting bodies that we will eat as food, use as medicine, tinder, and plug up our bullet hole wounds with

super sweet best pal posted:

I keep saying it should be made a TFLC subforum.

I looked and I still don't know what TFLC is, again I don't want to be some pompous idiot bitch who claims to know what's good for the forums, but I think if you kept it right where it was, renamed it something that includes a bunch of hobbies but somehow also has a cool name or abbreviation: It will thrive.

I will email Ray Mears and ask him to do a guest appearance, he won't reply and I'll then contact a YouTube nature guy and see if he will do it instead. We need some celebrity power. Like how GBS had Robin Williams, Matt Damon, Bill Burr, deadmau5, etc.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 25, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Free Market Mambo posted:

Fear.

Fear, intimidation, and a willingness to be the very best. It will save our forum like the application of maggots to a festering wound.

Also, in the event of a Trump presidency I'm probably going to get murked by the Russians. It was an honor posting with all y'all.

I also bought I real nice gore-tex shell, I like it lots.

I'm willing to fight you IRL for a YouTube video if it helps make this forum famous. I will then likely be promoted to assistant mod, and I will take your job in Finland teaching people how to ski until I become an alcoholic obsessed with freezing himself in the snow, then melting himself in a sauna, every day, with the drinking in between those things until I die.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

I think you should make a youtube video about what you would do to survive the Trumpocaust on your own with the resources you currently have. I expect to see results in 5 days. Skiing while drinking will win you extra bonus points and make you honorary IK. No snow? No problem. Get creative.

My birch skis cracked before I got the bindings in, or even the tip shaped. And we've got no snow. I'll see if I can do a video that would be not poo poo, need a better gimmick than being afraid of a fat old businessman who's been paid to lose though, I'll think it over when I'm supposed to be doing work tomorrow

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Picnic Princess posted:

I think you should make a youtube video about what you would do to survive the Trumpocaust on your own with the resources you currently have. I expect to see results in 5 days. Skiing while drinking will win you extra bonus points and make you honorary IK. No snow? No problem. Get creative.

I actually recorded some of these the next day but I gotta see if they're worth uploading because I had a cold and it was windy and the audio is hosed

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'll be doing a mushroom megathread sometime soon, busy week or I'd have it up now sorry friends

Could any of you IKs or mods let me know if renaming the forum or doing a rotating background or some poo poo, some more involvement, are any of these possible? I'd really like to jump start this thing up again if we can all do it. Especially with GBS going to poo poo for who knows how long with anxiety from Americans about Trump winning, and jokes from the rest of the world about Trump winning

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Stout, you could come kick it with me, but I will probably get murked by the Russians.

We have many mushroom here.

What do frozen bog mushrooms taste like? Also you should bring some of the woodworking thread guys to this subforum, GBS is 50 percent low effort Trump threads and maybe 1 funny Trump thread, I need this to become my vacation home/forum, recruit! Get out and sell!

If you have any mushroom pictures you've taken get 'em ready once I stop being lazy and put a thread up. Did you ever try carving birch skis? Or can you find me an old ancient Finnish guy who looks like Genghis Khan to teach me? Mine cracked while drying and I am rapidly running out of time to try again for this winter.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Contrary to popular belief, there is a magical period of the year where the bog switches from frozen to melty and filled with unholy swarms of mosquitos. This is the time to slowly wander through them looking for mushrooms and berries.

There's a super intense tradition of mushrooming in Finland, and while I'm not an expert, I've taken a few courses and know enough to gather with the help of a guidebook. Many of the North American classics, like chanterelles and porcinis can be found. I promise to help with your thread if you start it up. Make RSF Great Again.

Still haven't had a chance to try making skis, I'm stalled on making a changing table for some friends of mine, and have a lathe to make after.

Tomorrow I'll be teaching a course on hewing logs, we just got our first big snow, so we'll see how it goes getting to the course site.

Have you seen Herzog's The Happy People? There' a great scene of a gnarly Siberian dude making his skis.

Outdoors people love stuff. Maybe a general gear bragging/argument thread?

Did you find a backpack?

What kind of berries are popular and common there beyond the lingonberry? That is pretty cool that you have a good variety of mushrooms, I am disappointed by your selection of freshwater fish and so far what I know of your trees is that we got 3/4 of the cool ones.

Hewing just as a technique, or for any specific purpose? That is pretty cool and you should post pictures and tell me what kind of tools you own and use. I like the pack you linked me, but I am still poor so that'll wait. A gear thread would be cool, I think we already had one though and I wonder if it'd be better just to have people post their gear in more specific threads to liven them up. Backpacks in hiking threads, axes in a woodworking thread, etc. The DYI forum already has the traditional woodworking thread I've seen you post in, but it'd be cool if we had a hand tool woodworking thread here. Tree identification, debarking, carving, etc. I like the DYI thread and the guys there do good work, but it's got to be 95 percent or more "here's a thing I did with a garage and $15,000 of power tools"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The US, particularly the east coast is super lucky when it comes to trees and biodiversity in general. Every time I'm back I'm tempted to try to stuff empty spaces in my suitcase with American hardwoods. Here's a monster pike.

Post is too long to quote, but god drat. You catch that? Is that a northern pike or some variety of muskie? Looks slightly short and super thick, much like the mushrooms in the mushroom thread you said you'd post in, fucker.

I thought Finnish axes had a guard around the handle smithed in usually, if that makes sense? Also does anyone buy Roselli axes there are they just expensive trendy things to hope Americans will import? Almost looks like you've betrayed your people and bought some Swedish variety of axe.

Do you guys have anything close to black walnut there? That's what I'd grab if I were you, or if I were me. Black walnut heartwood. Carve some spoons on the flight home and be arrested for international terrorism or whatever.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

thatguy posted:

extra stout for packs if you're trying to save money there's a ton of weekend warriors that have barely used gear years old. I use an arcteryx bora 95 and bora 80, either one. They're decent but overkill unless you're carrying tons of poo poo like we do. I don't like most modern packs because they're all ultralight bullshit but we also use gear until it wears out, which is uncommon for most recreation. Your other cheap option is to get something like the USMC's ILBE pack, designed by arcteryx and usually I think made by propper. If you craigslist ILBE you'll usually find a handful, you should find one for no more than 75 dollars. It's a 75L pack, decent durability and stuff like hip belt and shoulder straps are replaceable with arcteryx parts. Some of the stitching has popped out on my partner's pack but he's also strapping down a crosscut saw.

sry mambo

thanks i will compare those to the ones mambo told me about and probably remain broke til christmas, where i then as an adult man will ask for a thing for christmas as a present.

i'm confused what happened here because it seems you are a gay dude but can't say faggotry? what are the rules on this? maybe it's a cultural crossroad, in america you can make fun of anything if you're part of the group

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I didn't forget the thread, just wanted to hear all the ideas out and not constantly bump my own threads. The mushroom megathread got some cool replies but again was a reminder that the subforum is too narrow, too bad not enough people know about it or we could vote or something like I was originally too lazy for. If a mod reads this though: Would you mind telling me if that would be allowed? A broadening of this subforum, and if we could absorb some threads from the hobby forum if they're nature related and the regulars are interested.

Also you can post psilocybin in the mushroom thread if you want but I mentioned that I know very little about them and there's a whole thread about those in TCC, so leave it to them imo. I spent a month looking out specifically for amanita muscaria which is an entirely legal species because 3/4 of people just get a stomach ache and pass out having weird drunken dreams but weirder, so it's not enjoyable enough to bother regulating as it has no real market and laws wouldn't send many people into legal prison slavery anyway. I never found a single one despite narrowing down their typical habitat pretty well. I would not doubt if I find and post a few in Spring if that interests you.

So if any mods read this: It's been a long time since I made this thread and still agree with the basic idea that we should absorb a lot of lone nature related hobby threads throughout the forums if those people want to join and could help expand this forum. I'm still not claiming to be the person who should define the forum, which the rename would sort of do and the rules would cement. But if you do read this let me know what your mod powers allow and what you think, could we bring the fisherman thread in here, greenwood hand carving (this never survives or lasts if you post about it in the woodworking megathread, mostly traditional expensive garage furniture making there). I could go on, but essentially SA has probably 20 lone threads about hobbies involving hiking, camping, fishing, foraging etc, and it'd be cool if we built this up as a new home for it all.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rime posted:

The outdoor activity megathreads are all super ancient and some are half-wankery from daily posters now anyways (as megathreads tend to develop cliques). Imma make a thread in QCS this evening asking for them to be redirected.

E: As a poster of my word, I have done this.

Thanks everyone and you Rime for your endless posting efforts. I will muster on in this war by eventually uploading the half dozen pictures of my little amateur mushroom grow kit I've had for a week. Might just wait until the second harvest is ready so I can compare it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Martytoof posted:

I'm planning a lot of outdoor stuff for 2017 and it never even occurred to me that this subforum existed. I was looking for threads about backcountry kayaking and camping and things and they seemed to be scattered.

I'll probably start a kayaking/kayak-camping thread at some point, hopefully it isn't too niche to survive :getin:

It's hard to get goons to know this subforum exists so feel free to tell people about it, but I'm sure I have seen enough goons in the fishing thread in the hobby forum in a kayak that if they felt like coming here and posting about their kayaks' you'd have 20 pages. Please do, I don't know a lot about either of your topics but I look forward to reading your thread and also A WHITE GUYs

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rime posted:

Close the hiking and backpacking Megathread with a post directing users to this subforum.

This but all threads, like 20 of them, and make sure to tell them to come to my :shroom: thread

IT'S ABOUT THAT WONDERFUL TIME OF YEAR FOLKS, coming on up

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
You are both amazing and I'm glad of it, is there any chance you're able to change the forum subtitle thing?

It's still "A funny place to loosely discuss Hiking and Outdoorsmanship" and again I'm not in charge of poo poo, but since that was the description when it was a rotating fun forum and now it's a permanent, important dead forum, is it possible to have something like "A fun place to discuss hiking, foraging and the outdoors" or something that replaces "a funny place" with a couple more words to describe the variety of cool poo poo we could all cram into this subforum

I have never used a signature on SA but I'll name drop it when appropriate in other forums a few more times as Spring is upon us, been taking a few mushroom pictures but gonna wait til I get a good informative post worth

Epitope posted:

I'll buy it if you put some pokemon and make it

??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shroomish_
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breloom_

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is there a fishing thread anywhere? I like fishing but I'm a wuss and get super grossed out with gutting them so I let my nephew do it. Yeah, I could throw them back but that's no fun. Or do most of you guys just throw them back? I guess that is a possibility. I'd like to learn how to do everything and tips, etc. Anyone know if there is thread?

There's a bigger fishing thread in ask/tell somewhere as well, but your best bet for learning to clean fish is to YouTube a cleaning/fillet guide for that particular species, even watch a few and pick what method you think is easiest. I learned methods for a few fish just from YouTube videos, and sure the first few times it'll feel gross and you might puncture their guts and see poo poo spill out, but that image will stay in your mind to make sure you don't do it again

I'm only a couple years into fishing and cleaning fish (that I've already cleaned before) is pretty easy and quick.

• Locked thread