Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kiimo posted:

When you go to an NFL game and watch players just standing around during a TV timeout it really drives home how disgusting that is. I mean, as if football didn't have enough breaks for commercials.

Yeah, especially around kickoffs. It feels like there is no action between a score and the next drive starting, but it takes like 12 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They had more alphas.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Its been fun ragging on the Warriors but holy poo poo I am glad I am not the Pelicans today.

Star Player. They use that phrase but I am not sure they know what it means.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

Obviously it's only two games but I'm pretty concerned with Aldridge. His defensive effort seems pretty spotty at best. Gasol hasn't been good defensively but I expect him to improve, it seems like he's having a lot of communication issues. Aldridge just looks lazy at times.

That's my hot take. He's going to be traded for AD and the Spurs aren't going to lose another game.

Aldrige is a sneaky good defender. He isn't going to coming leaping in on the weak side or anything but he rebounds really well, he doesn't commit fouls (a hugely underrated aspect to defending) and he generally keeps position. He is a good "Bend, don't break" defender. That said, I do think the Spurs frontcourt will suffer against teams that move the ball and try to make opposing frontcourts stay super mobile. In theory when both Kawhi and Green are out there it should be fine.

Aldridge's DRPM has always been good (not great, but good) even before he landed on the Spurs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

The goal of every team is to win .
The goal to the process was how to transform the roster that was garbage post Bynum into one with superstar assets ( because super stars win in the NBA). This is what happened. Whether they actually turn into superstars is just regular team building .

The Sixers are a normal team now.

I feel like people are arguing in circles. Obviously "The Process" was an attempt to get high draft picks and keep as many players early on rookie contracts as possible. I think, also obviously, other GMs probably won't do it again because for better or worse Hinkie lost his job.

It's a thing they did, I think they are pretty happy with where they are now, I don't think anyone is going to do it again because GMs like their jobs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

All three are better than the Sixers are right now.

I would way rather be in the 76ers shoes than the Suns, probably more than Orlando. Charlotte looks like they'll be a decent enough playoff team but probably never a contender so it depends on how you'd value that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Portis for Tyus Jones swap? That sorta makes sense for both teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Point Guard/ball creator is like the 1 thing the Bulls don't need.

Tyus Jones is the PG, right?

Yeah but I assume they are going to play MCW at the 2 a lot. Tyus is more of a true point. I know the Bulls were sniffing around Tyus hence why I thought, though that might have been before the MCW trade, now that I think about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

McW at the .... 2?

I dunno if this is a joke I am not getting, but he played next to Rondo a whole lot so I expect he'll keep playing a lot of off-ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

2 guards who can't shoot tho

How does this work

Bulls.txt

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The free week on league pass is also always really bad. Once they lose 2/3 of the viewers you get more bandwidth.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is going to be a good year.

https://twitter.com/bengolliver/status/792218102960226309

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dale Ouise posted:

Should I pick up NBA 2k17 if I want to try to understand the sport better?

2K17 thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3788016&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#pti10

It will help, but don't worry about setting it to easy mode to get used to it, 2K has a learning curve that can be sharp. But it does a good job of modeling the pro game, and its reasonable (though far from perfect) at representing the player's games.

Whenever I do a long binge it takes me time to remember what moves are real and what are just in my 2K universe. Bazemore is not actually on the Timberwolves :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

He is so loving bad at defense. And I said nearly. His offensive ability still makes him a good NBA player, he just doesn't make the same overall contribution that the other guys do.

PG defense has so very little effect on your teams defense as a whole, man. I don't know what you are on about.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

He was 14th in assist %. I understand it's a debate but I can't sign off on the best PG season ever not being the dish king.

I am not sure this matters in 2016.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Larry Bird is overrated in many circles but that lends him to be underrated here for some reason.

Curry had, easily, one of the best regular seasons post-Wilt of all time. That should not be a question. That doesn't mean he's better than Magic or Shaq or anything, but he had a In-The-Conversation best season ever.

You absolutely have to not count Wilt in these conversations, otherwise there is no reason to have these conversations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Forgot about that. Though interestingly Kareem's PER doesn't jump when blocks and steals appear. And neither does Elvin Hayes.

PER average-weighted-by-playtime is always 15, so adding blocks wouldn't make everyone go up, it's zero-sum. Since, by all accounts, Wilt was getting 3 or 4 times more blocks than anyone else not named Russell, his PER would have jumped more than Kareem, who was much closer to the average in those stats.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I assume so. The rfa max just means ' solid starter' money now, it's hard to get used to

Can we get 10 or so NBA players to fund a new version of slamball that's played until one team is dead due to traps and pitfalls on the court

Well, this is mostly true because there are a bunch of old-TV-deal contracts still running around. In a few years, Adams + Oladipo taking up 40%+ of your cap may not be a very good look. Once the MLE, minimum, and rookie deals go up with the new CBA I don't think teams will want RFA maxes (which are 25% of the cap) to be so common. Remember, the cap won't keep jumping like it has.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Meanwhile the Timberwolves are far apart in their extension discussions with Dieng and Shabazz, shocking nobody.

I have no earthly idea what Shabazz Muhammad's market value is. I'd totally offer him the QO and see what contract someone else gives him.

Dieng is a tough one. He is probably a (low-end) starting calibre center, which probably means RFA Max. I don't know if he is worth that to the Wolves. To me, he is a great candidate to trade to someone who wants to pay him that but doesn't have/want to use cap room to do it next year.

I don't know that you'd want to give up young pieces that help you win if you are the Wolves either. It's a tough situation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Gobert signing a 4/$100 as well.

Can Gobert be the 2nd best player on a contender? They will have a ton of cap tied up in him for the next few ears while the cap maintains. I really can't decide where Gobert is on the list of valuable pieces.

That is a nice price for Dieng. Now you have a stop-gap 4/5 to play next to KAT and can anchor your 2nd unit if you need or if you find a real 4 to start. For ~15% of your cap that's pretty reasonable.

I'm surprised Dieng didn't test RFA to try to get a 4/80 out of someone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, they gave Leonard literally the most money they could give him, its not like that was a shrewd move or anything. But yes, trading Hill for him and then teaching Leonard to shoot was a pretty great move.

Can you imagine a Pacers team with Lenny and PG?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Real ballers buy a ninja and roll their own smoothies.

Lemon/orange/almond milk/tsp honey. All you need.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

We literally had this conversation about juicing this summer over Kobe's stupid Keurig juicer and most agreed it's a stupid expensive thing to do at home

WhyteRyce posted:

If someone could tell me why I get four pounds of pulp and one tbsp of juice per strawberry I'd appreciate it

Make smoothies, not juice. 1 Lemon, 1 Orange, a cup of almond milk, tbsp a honey, and 8 or 10 pieces of ice. Maybe a bit of water too. That gives you a 32 ounce smoothie.

quote:

Ricky

My heart aches

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is sorta sad and Ray Allen is an obsessive dude.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Why is Wade's nickname "World of Warcraft"?

He's probably been going on too long, people tend to only remember the good and not the bad, and for some reason people spend way too much money on him?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Ryu: WoW
Ken: Butler
Dan: Rondo

Savage.

Bashez posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that the Bulls are going to be okay as long as Wade holds up?

Are the Mavs bad? If the Mavs are bad does that meant he Rockets are bad too?

Have there been any big surprises so far? Everything has seemed pretty predictable right down to Derrick Rose giving fans hope he's back before he totally tanks the team.

Bulls will probably be fine, I think they were always a playoff team. They might be the 4th seed now instead of the 6th, but they'll be decent. I expect they'll need some luck to go any further than the 2nd round.

Surprises:

Bulls 3-0
GSW has a -5.0 Point differential
Derozan is averaging 35 points a game (on 0 3pm)
Thunder might still be legit good
Portland has a team that plays professional basketball

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 1, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Can someone that has a twitter account do me a favor and DM the hoopdynastees guy @hdshirts and ask if he does prints and can share his email so I can buy one? I really want a print of sheed grinning

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/739875-sheed-grin?store_id=98881

Got you fam.

edit: Actually you can't DM if they don't have you added. I'll tweet him.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 1, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

how are you already this mad about kris dunn after like 3 games

He's taking Rubio's starting spot today as Rubio is out with a elbow thing. They've been reporting the starting job would be Dunn's this season either way. It's not really Dunn's fault, he looks like a pretty good player, but the selection and positioning of Dunn means the Wolves will be a lot less fun to watch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Just give us Rubio for Gay already stop wasting everyone's time

:(

That is like the most depressing thing ever and I am pretty sure its going to happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cravius posted:

1-29 protected

This is just insulting fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm seeing 1-20 protected which is a bit more fair.

Yeah, thats what it looks like

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/793541987764953093

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How will we know if a unanimous MVP choked or not?

Although Steph Curry being forced to smile and accept the award while Lebron sat in the audience would have been pretty fantastic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is my poo poo all day. I hope Lebron brings back petty mud slinging. I wanna see mascot effigies burned next.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

attackmole posted:

e: holy poo poo i just looked at the grizzlies starting lineup for tonight who the gently caress are these people
Wade Baldwin IV
Troy Williams
JayMychel Green
James Ennis
Jarell Martin

I can tell you there may have been at least 3 other people named Wade Baldwin. That's about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

I think I'm ready to give up on the Davis as defensive anchor project.

He's a weakside guy, but that's OK. I think of he took a full load on as a defensive anchor it'd hurt him on the other end of the floor. Pelicans should go call Larry Sanders.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If that sun/halo was a b-ball it would rule.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

He's getting the 5 year extension next October.

He's here for another 6 years at least

I thought this was a joke about the 76ers giving him a super early extension, but then I remembered he's in the 3rd year of his contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Melo even said later he would have stayed in Denver if he wasn't traded to take the true Max. Denver didn't want to take that risk, which is why New York had to give up assets. I think New Jersey->Brooklyn also wanted him, so New York had to outbid them as well.

In any event, I put the Knicks run of mediocrity squarely on the Knicks, not at all on Melo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For National games Doris Burke is the best color commentator. I wish they'd use her there more instead of having her work the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone who was paying more attention to the game than I was tell me why Dunn didn't play in crunch time last night?

Eh, he was playing kinda loose with the ball and the offense was stiff with him out there after the first quarter. I think Thibs is trying to keep him under 30 minutes a game right now, even with Rubio out.

For what it's worth, Tyus had a better +/- than Dunn did (+0 vs -3).

• Locked thread