Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Leandro Barbosa has a players tribune article up and it's adorable.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/leandro-barbosa-nba-brazil-suns/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, maybe if the Lakers have a season to re-tinker their defense and adjust their offense. Otherwise they'd hit a GSW defense the likes of which they'd never seen before and the Warrior Offense would be an alien, unstoppable thing. The showtime Lakers were pretty dominant in their years, but this is why comparing eras is troublesome.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

80 lakers had a 109 o rating.

Against the stellar defenses of early 80s regular season NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zogo posted:

Rondo, Wade and Carmelo doesn't sound like a playoff team though.

We just forgetting Jimmy Butler then or?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there anyone the cavs can sign next year to compete with gsw in the finals or are we going to be dealing with this for another two years?

They cannot sign anyone above the minimum salary so probably not. Golden State won't be able to either, but will probably resign most their team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TBeats posted:

Is Steph a deceptively good rebounder or is Cleveland just being bitchmade?

He's always been alright, but he's having a lot of success crashing the boards and Cleveland isn't doing a very good job sealing off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They also ran lineups where neither GSW or Cleveland had a true PF or Center. Lebron/Jefferson/JR/Korver/Kyrie vs Durant/Mccaw/Iggy/Klay/Steph. This has been a very "small" series.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Are there certain fanbases that are demonstrably and objectively worse than others or are fans of losing teams just universally and equally sad sack whiners and winning teams smug pricks?

anecdotally I'd say Suns fans, but they are all pretty much the same.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yep. Its why I love (most of) you guys

Regular season caveat

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

is this art?

Most definitely, and also guaranteed that woman's macaroni casserole is also art.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Re: Lebron leaving. What I can see happening is the Cleveland ownership gave a timeline in which they would post repeater tax until they had to get under it. Lebron might have a amicable exit plan already that let's him join another team for the last phase of his career while letting Cleveland reset.

If Cleveland keeps spending the money they are spending they will be owing $100+ million in tax in a few years and I can't imagine that can last.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

the Cavs somehow need to shake the TT max and the Shump/JR contracts, all it takes is a few dumb teams

If they dumped all three of those guys they'd basically be at the salary cap next year and not able to sign anyone. They need to shed $60 million before they could afford to sign a max free agent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Femur posted:

lol they're screwed, I get why Lebron is floating the leave narrative once again. TT and Irving have been are relative disappointments, they ain't gonna carry old LeBron to jack poo poo. I appreciate that Kyrie choose style over substance through. Steph just teabagged your homecourt.

Kyrie has been one of the best players in the NBA this season and TT has been perfectly fine. Cavaliers went 12-1 in the playoffs up till now. There was a lot of basketball this season to draw better conclusions than against one of the best assembled teams ever that will be nearly impossible to replicate again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

The worry there is being on a switching defense and him being more prone to injury going against those bigger players.

I don't know why you'd want him defending opposing PGs then.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

I don't. See my previous post:

Oh whoops, I thought that was a counter-comment. Yeah, I agree with you, but I do think there may be a couple years where he won't have the athleticism to guard the Wing, but would still be fine against most 4s. But it's Lebron so who knows, I thought he'd be slowing down way more by now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is Utah for sure offering a max?

They'd be pretty dumb not to.

zoux posted:

The Utah Pelicans.

Still more applicable to Utah than Jazz.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 9, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Utah Novel and Interesting City Layouts

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mile run speed is not at all a good measurement of what we're talking about. Agility and ability to recover and, yes, accumulation of injury absolutely slows you down well before you hit your late 30s.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

I'll take the bet.

My quest to make other people pay for charities continues. For this bet, I have selected the Environmental Defense Fund, a highly rated charity to defend this doomed planet.

http://www.edfaction.org/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The B_36 posted:

I guess I'll never understand why rich pro athletes would take the risk of owning a bunch of firearms and potentially put their careers in jeopardy. It can't be for personal protection right? They have bodyguards for that. If it's just for a collection or whatever, then why don't you get the proper permits? You can afford it.

Telfair hasn't played ball in 2 years and didn't really make "have hired bodyguards around you the rest of your life" money. Not that a Tech-9 or whatever that is is practical personal protection or anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I feel like it's gonna be the T-wolves.

Yeah, I sorta do too. Depending on the deal this might be kinda nice to give them the 3/4 flexibility. Dunno where else they will spend the cap.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dick Vabetta

edit: Oh poo poo Tim Donaghy is Tae!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think the NBA is more likely to want to correct things that benefit the team that's winning rather than trying to make things harder for a team that's behind. That results in longer series, but it's also human nature. I don't think the NBA is getting people together and saying "How should we make this go to 6 or 7 games".

At least now. When Stern was there that seems more likely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I have a stat question too. When a shot misses and rebounds but goes way out to someone on the floor after a bounce, do they get credited with a rebound?

Yes. If the ball is tipped back the credit usually goes to the guy who tipped the ball out, not the guard who controlled it, but that is up to the scorers discretion.

If the ball goes out of bounds it's recorded as a team-rebound.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Haha little did you suspect I would actually not mind that swap. There's a huge difference between a replacement level player masquerading as an allstar and a replacement level player imagining he's a top 5 guy!

Did you guys know Melo's BPM was -0.7 last season? OBPM +1.5 DBPM -2.2. He's trash. He sucks. He's the worst contract in the NBA and that includes Chris Bosh.

Whiteside had a negative BPM too. Tony Parker had a negative BPM in 13-14 when he drove the best NBA Finals team I've ever seen in my entire life. A bunch of really good players have put up negative BPM seasons, it's actually not really that good of a stat to use in that context.

Melo is not a top tier player anymore, but he's far from replacement level.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The B_36 posted:

In non-conspiracy land, very very few NBA owners are owners because they need to make money from the team. The Warriors are hugely profitable without trying to extend series artificially. This is a terrible argument.

Rich people never do shady things to make more money.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I also kinda think BPM is working for those counterexamples? Whiteside has a negative BPM because it (correctly) describes what a black hole he is on the offense, which hasn't quite been outmatched by what he does on defense. Also his BPM was positive the season before last.

Carmelo had a positive BPM last season (higher than Whitesides!) and the season before that, etc. If 1 negative BPM should be disregarded for Whiteside so should it be for Carmelo.

Melo's team is crap and he's not good enough by himself to turn it around, most players wouldn't be.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

he spoils my viewing experience more than any straight loss with untalented players would. It makes me very angry to watch and over the next several days I intend to use many mathematical methods, film clips and essays to convince Lockback that he loving sucks now and kills a team and will only grow worse and worse. He deserves the reputation Harden got for defense. He normally doesn't try and when he does he makes the wrong decisions and he is also on something like a 0/25 streak for lategame "clutch" shots.

edit: for clarification "he" is Melo. Lockback doesn't loving suck he's cool. I forgot that English reassigns pronouns so readily I apologize this is not my first language

I'm also open to arguments why I loving suck.

Melo is an ISO player and that is not fun to watch, but it still has value. I actually do want him to leave New York since he doesn't help that team at all, but could make another team better. He's probably not a star player anymore though and I don't know if he'd take a smaller role.

Femur posted:

What happened to blaming the knicks for giving a gimp max and giving the Cavs a quarter of their team?

I mean, if Carmelo had an internal, eternal burn like a maladjusted person, he wouldn't have stuck around with that loser franchise

Ian Sjumpert is the worst

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Guess not....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What finals team in the last twenty years could beat these warriors? I don't think anyone stands a chance.

'14 Spurs or '12 Heat would be good series, but GSW is better.

• Locked thread