Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

got some chores tonight posted:

i would not expect the knicks or the rockets to have expectionally low dribble numbers cuz i feel like most of their offences were letting superstars work

Harden probably has like half the dribbles by himself, but he
does pass it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

euphronius posted:

How old is the undertaker

I remember him from when I was a kid.

He's immortal. Idiot.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MourningView posted:

It is so unbelievably nice to have an actual competent point guard and not, like, Jamal Tinsley. No one has ever been more excited to watch solid, boring, above average George Hill basketball than I am this year.

He's really good off the ball. Fits disgustingly well with that team.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Time posted:

I legit think it has a depth to it that most sports movies don't. It's really fantastic and I don't even watch hockey

The same director did the FUBAR movies, AKA the only movies in the world to ever be set in Alberta (other than all the ones that come here to film their mountain scenes) :canada:. He's got a good handle on portraying empathetic Canadian idiots.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Criminal Minded posted:

NBA N/V: "Regular white people. You can find videos of them online."

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Everyone keeps posting JV dunking on Boban which IMO is a pretty weak poster (except for the fact that it's Boban). I liked this move better.

https://twitter.com/outsidethenba/status/791425949233446912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dirty as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Except he's on my team so :getin:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

I love it when people mean mug so hard they look like they're sniffing a nasty fart.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought this was the good Grant

Yeah he's one of like 5 players I know on Philly cause he's cool but I guess he's solidly behind Covington on the depth chart so they weren't sure what do with him. That and Saric is getting roasted as a PF right now so Ersan gives him help. They might slide Saric to SF at times too if they're going crazy big and running Embiid and Okafor at the same time, which gives less room for Grant maybe? Iunno I'm making poo poo up off the top of my head here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Adun posted:

I thought Ben Simmons was the culmination of The Process

Maybe, but Embiid is its spiritual grounding.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man JV is good but unless he finally gets more minutes (they're there this year so far but I have Casey PTSD) it's kind of a moot point iunnno why you're dying on this hill here. He's a promising young center. He's efficient as hell in the post via his silly pump fakes and running hook and has a good elbow jumper, but he's not a great rim protector and psyches himself out. He's not in Drummond or Whiteside's tier unless we're talking about a theoretical JV on some team that features him more heavily. He could get there (I hope) but who knows. Even then it's kind of apples and oranges because those guys play pretty dramatically differently from him.

On the plus side there's nothing like playing games against Drummond to make you feel great about having a big that can actually hit their free throws. It's a little thing that goes a looooooong way for reducing my anxiety late game.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

Ersan had value at one point but he looks cooked to me out there. So I guess the question is if you think Grant is better than some guy at the back end of the first round.

Honestly? Yeah, probably. Grant's only 22 and shows promise, it's a not a bad gamble. Thunder are trying to assemble a young core, not develop new rookies. I mean superficially those two things go together but there's a pretty big difference between a third year player and a first year player. Between it and the Oladipo/Adams extensions it seems to me like the team is trying to show Westbrook they're serious about giving him a consistent young core to work with.

e: holy poo poo i just looked at the grizzlies starting lineup for tonight who the gently caress are these people

Wade Baldwin IV
Troy Williams
JayMychel Green
James Ennis
Jarell Martin

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 2, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
They look like the ear guards rugby players and wrestlers sometimes wear to protect against cauliflower ear but I've never seen em in an NBA game before. Might be protecting an ear that got banged up in practice? gently caress if I know.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Glumslinger posted:

So my dad has a decent nickname for Paul George, "John Ringo"

i like it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MourningView posted:

I'm so happy D'antoni is back.

And speaking of things that make me happy, George Hill is my new favorite basketball player

Everyone made fun of him for it but I miss his Demolition Man hair. Made him super easy to pick out on the court which I always like when I'm intensely staring down a game. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember the Rocket used a Jason Terry, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith lineup a few times and that weirded me out because even though those guys are three different sizes it turns out the signifier in my head for all of them is 'black, buzz cut + headband' and it would make my brain short circuit figuring who was who while simultaneously paying attention to the game.

e: also I just learned that Jason Terry is benchwarming for the Bucks???? I got confused for a minute and then remembered the Kidd/Terry connection via their time on the Mavericks. Wonder if he's getting groomed for coaching or if he's just there to keep the young guys in line.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 2, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Demar DeRozan Superstar

I'm curious to see how the Raptors play when Demar isn't 'footprints in the sand"-ing us to get a feel for the team long term, but I'll be damned if this hasn't been fun so far. I've been calling Demar a B-rate Kobe for years but so far this year he's just straight up looking like prime, A-rate Kobe. I'm sure he'll shoot us out of a game at some point and/or I'll be pulling my hair out at the lack of ball movement soon, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Especially since the rest of the team has been bricking their three's all over the place so far, gently caress it, might as well have Demar drive it every time.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cleaning up my youtube favourites and everyone remembers Champions, but how many of you guys remember Ron Artest's beautiful tribute to Michael Jackson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uls787218ew

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

I read this article last night and enjoyed it a lot, it's Jason Concepcion making the most convincing devil's advocate argument I've read for hiring D'Antoni: https://theringer.com/the-inspirational-courage-of-houstons-awful-defense-80e8f86c2221#.j1jauwlp4

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

-d'antoni rockets proverb.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Literally just came here to post the Paul Pierce interview and say that it was actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zum87PfVgw

Not exactly compelling TV, but I hope some form of it keeps on existing on the internet.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Guys showing up to unrelated NBA games in Kobe jerseys are a long held tradition that I hope never dies.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

owns

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I still have faith in Carroll, but it's uh, lowering. If he can't turn it around by the new year I'm gonna have to have to retire from the fan club.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Doing God's work here.

I like Noel but I'm not sold on trading for him because the Raptor's can't space well unless they pair Derozan with a stretch 4. Siakam is starting but only plays 15 a game, Patterson is run next to Derozan way more. I think the Raptors know this which is why they signed The Walking Injury Jared Sullinger despite the obvious red flags, because he was the best stretch 4 option available within the budget (yes I know he bricks threes and has a dumb shot selection but I'm still gonna count him as a stretch 4).

I guess they could fit him in by having him replace either Poeltl or Siakam in the rotation, but I thought he was looking for a non-backup role, and both of those aren't big minute roles.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
R A P T O R S
B A S K E T B A L L
B I T C H

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Biedrins.jpg still one of the best basketball photos ever.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9dmgUDXb2U

wtf

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
He better be in the celebrity all star game this year.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

humpthewind posted:

Ah yes thanks. I remember reading that earlier in the thread. I'll continue lurking.

It's cool, we don't actually talk about RC% on the reg, advance stats are Zogo's thing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah especially in Canada, the hype for Wiggins was unreal. Dude was getting feature GQ articles on him, Stephen Harper was tweeting about him while he was in high school, he absolutely was getting hyped an insane amount. Canadian sports networks were showing pretty much every Kansas game (we normally consign college basketball to obscure sports channels but he got Kansas onto primetime TV). It actually slowed down after his decent but not exceptional college career, most of the hype was from when he was still in high school. Normally I don't even pay attention to high school players but it spilled over everywhere. Anecdotally Canadians wrote off the entirety of 2013 draft (for uh, probably good reason) but "Wiggins is better than everyone in the draft, just you wait till next year!!!!!" was a pretty common thing to hear in the immediate aftermath of the 2013 draft.

However, googling about this brings me the even better Harper tweet where he confused Lowry and Anthony Bennett.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/stephen-harper-s-tweet-mistakes-anthony-bennett-for-kyle-lowry-1.3000839

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

That D-League thing is cool. Add their per diem and poo poo and they're actually at a livable wage. Now if they could just get some D-League teams that aren't in the rear end end of nowhere (Austin and Santa Cruz excluded).

The rear end ends of nowhere are the places that pay to see minor league games because they don't have other options. I mean as a fan I get it ( and the Raptors D-League team is in the GTA so we got a best case scenario) but minor leagues really thrive in smaller markets.

I guess it depends on the appetite of the fans. I'm not an expert, but isn't minor league baseball mostly centred around smaller cities? On the other hand, every town and city in Canada seems to have a successful minor league hockey team whether they already have an NHL team or not.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Props Department posted:

I just feel like it's of a piece with treating women who go on camera professionally as sex objects. I guess everyone else thinks I'm a ninny though!

Nah I thought it was p. creepy too. I know you're a celebrity but after the 5th or 6th comment it was like, ease up there buddy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

extremely my poo poo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

Honestly he is most likely very upset that the team is doing well without him so he's going to become locker room AIDS at any moment and become completely ostracized, it's a pattern

Sounds like an alpha move tbh

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

They feast.

Also, ESPN with the deep dive into the Cuban/Parsons bromance, because... poo poo, I have no idea why.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks

quote:

As the booze flowed, Cuban made joking low-ball offers, Parsons chuckled at them, and they eventually moved on. When it was almost time to make the short trip back to the Skirvin Hotel, Cuban was settling up the tab and posing for pictures with some of the wait staff, while the taxi the club's management had called for the owner idled in the alley out back.

Spotting the cab as he left with friends, Parsons saw an opportunity to get the last laugh. He hopped in with his boys, slipped the driver a $100 bill and told him to take off.

The timing worked to perfection. Just as the cab started rolling, Cuban walked out. Parsons rolled down the window and stuck out his head.

"Max or nothing, m-----f-----!" Parsons hollered at Cuban, cracking up his crew.

really digging parsons here

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

NickRoweFillea posted:

Everyone must now lay claim to your Official NBA Boy

Danny Green Is My Boy.

e: just realized he's 29 my boy is all grown up but he's still got that boyish feel, you know?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lessail posted:

I hope every home Raptors game has a "clock malfunction" now

Shoutout to the Brooklyn - Raptors playoff game three years ago where on court shot clots malfunctioned so they literally had a guy mic'd up in the stadium to count 10..9.....8.... on the PA in sync with some dude holding a stopwatch every single play.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd like to thank the Blazers bench for making me feel less bad about Terrence Ross's contract.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

roundmidnight posted:

You should not feel bad about Terrence Ross's contract. Terrence Ross's contract is Very Good.

I wouldn't go that far. Even in the new economy, paying 12 mill a year for an aggressively mediocre bench player doesn't seem great to me. It's not as terrible as it seemed last year, but it's still kinda gross.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Oh well it worked out for everyone

It's no lebron Melo bosh dewyane class but it seems good.

Yeah but nothing's the 2003 draft tbh. Now I'm flipping through drafts since then to see if anything's come close. If we set the criteria as 4/5 of the top 5 being All-NBA level players with room for one bust, nothing hits it. The closets you get is a few with 3 All-NBA guys and two mediocre players, and of those only one's actually done it, the other two are me speculating potential.

2008: Rose, Westbrook, Love (other two: OJ Mayo, Beasley)

2014: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, (Gordon, Exum)

2015: KAT, Russell, Porzingis (Okafor, Hezonja)

I'm a little more sold on the 2015 class tbh, KAT's a lock for All-NBA, maybe even this year. Porzingis will likely get there. Russell seems like he could be really good but is still putting it together. 2014 is pretty good but less exciting. Embiid looks great but we've literally seen like 10 games of him. Wiggins and Parker both seem really good, but I'm not sure they're "build a team around them" good'. I mean they're also in their 3rd/2nd goddamn seasons so probably no one has an answer to that question outside of a bold GM or two. Being able to tell if a guy is a franchise player even within their first three years is loving impossible, there's probably only one or two guys (if that) from each draft that are that good that quick.

Most of this is a dumb semantics argument and I've really learned from thinking about this is that even though a top 5 pick gives you way better odds for finding a franchise player than a top 20 pick, your odds are still pretty lovely.

Speaking of Embiid, this is probably the least exciting thing I could possibly bring up about him, and 3 games is a joke of a sample size, but It's looking like he might be getting his turnovers under control. Over his first 7 games, he averaged 4.7 turnovers a game while playing about 22 minutes a game, and didn't have a single game with less than 3 turnovers. That is completely loving insane and unheard of at center.. It probably has something to do with his on-court USG% being about 38, which is almost Westbrook level (and he was ahead of Westbrook for a bit), while simultaniously being a rookie with a team of garbagemen to pass to. He's down to 2 turnovers a game over his last 3 though, which is a little more reasonable if it holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

nothing says good proposal like air horn samples

• Locked thread