Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Literally just listing the guys who were top 5 picks, hold the pitchforks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

straight up brolic posted:

btw Jamal Murray was v good last night and my post calling him bad at everything right now will probably be dug up in 2020

Jamal Murray is Kitchener's own and I wanna hang out at Charles Street Terminal with him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMJ4RRi2rSA&t=32s

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

As a fan of a perennial loser, I don't understand the "whelp we've maxed out as a fourth seed time to blow it up" mentality.

Gay is a fine player if you utilize him correctly. Mike Malone and Joerger are good coaches and got good results from him. Casey and Karl are bad coaches. He's not a LeBron or even Iso Joe so don't treat him like one.

All it would take from OKC is probably Payne, which I don't think is that much.

Depends on the conference and the tiers. I posted the same thing back when the Raptors were bad. Nowadays they're a good team by eastern standards, but clearly a tier below actual contenders and don't have any discernible path to contention. Should they blow it up? I don't think so, not when we've got a chance for the conference finals. But I can see why some people might push for it. Usually it takes a few things going to kick off a chain reaction instead of a conscious decision to explode. Right now I'm cool with it, but if we can't resign Lowry over the summer I might take a tear down over having Derozan dragging us to the 7th seed. Or maybe we can develop young talent around him while also being a low seed, who knows. There's a whole lotta luck and heuristics involved.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I forget the exact story cause I haven't heard it in years so I'm probably fudging some details, but here's something that apparently happened: one of my dad's buddies was doing a classical music gig with the San Diego symphony. Something happened and there were issues with where he was supposed to stay. So the symphony called in some help from its donors, and apparently Bill Walton stepped up and had the dude stay in his guesthouse: he's one of the symphony's biggest supporters.

Bill Walton seems like the kind of dude to be ecstatic to let wandering musicians crash at his place. Didn't realize he was a classical guy, but eh, guess he's into everything.

things bill walton likes:
classical music
the grateful dead
dogs
biking
tipis
e-sports
???????

Dude's good at getting enthusiastic about drat near everything.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Wow there's afternoon games today? I love basketball.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Don't forget the Alan Iverson vote in Shaq's year.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Top 5 is such a dumb criteria, especially as the league goes on and there's more and more players to consider. If you really have to 'rank' poo poo, tiers make more sense. MJ, Lebron, Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, etc. are godlike tier players who single handedly can put a team in championship contention. The end. Arbitrarily limiting yourself and trying to say 'but which 5 are best???' is dumb

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The west is still somehow better than the east. How?

Good players want to play on good teams so superstars and ring chasers skew towards signing with West teams.

I wish Durant signed with Boston if only for how much of a talent injection it would have been for the east.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

unreal

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Time posted:

I think it was probably crazy to the viewing public more than other NBA people. A lot of people were dumping on him as one of the worst ROY guys ever. I can't find the article anymore but I remember an exec saying his arc would be like tyreke evans but even less impressive

Yeah in hindsight it was a totally fine decision tbh, just in the grand context of Hinkie-ism every asset collection scheme is put under a microscope.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Two lines of evidence

1. They explicitly attempted to reform the lottery . It barely failed. It was well known this was done to stop teams from doing what the Sixers were doing

2.. this is murkier but I believe the inferences are sound : Silver introduced Jerry colangelo to the Sixers owners in late fall 2015. It's been reported that silver did this on his own accord or that the the Sixers owners asked him "for help". I believe the former. Anyway , inserting Jerry colangelo into a franchise is like inserting a xenomorph into a space ship. He ate everyone and left his spawn behind.

I'd be curious about what the actual numbers are, but a lot of the owners were grumbling about how low revenue was when the Sixers came to town. I want to see what the average stadium income is per team, what the Sixers was, and what the next lowest was.

Hinkie tanked the teams reputation to probably the lowest that any NBA team has ever had. Does anything even come close? Early 2010's Bobcats? Pre-Blake Griffin Clippers? Stepian era Cavs? Tanking isn't new and every couple of years you see historically garbage teams appear, but the Sixers dedication to bottoming out was unprecedented. He did this mainly by two things: 1) racing to the bottom by trading away every decent player he had that wasn't on a rookie contract for future assets and 2) his belief of trying to find needles in the haystack of d-league players, second round picks, and cast offs over signing a couple of veterans. Individually neither of those techniques are unheard of, but the combination of both and his unbridled enthusiasm with them was unique to say the least. Hinkie violated the unspoken rule that even when you're tanking, you should be attempting to put on a watchable product. He pissed off a lot of people in the league as a result.

It's hard to quantify fan-base enthusiasm. The Sixers made it through the dark ages and now 'feel' (whatever that means) like they're ordinary bad, not historically bad. They're a bad young team, but they have a million assets and a couple of players to get excited about. If they end up getting really good over the next 5 years, some people will say it was worth it. But the Hinkie era is going in the history books because that poo poo was ridiculous. No one has ever flipped off the fans and the league so hard and consistently over a three year period in such a blatant plan to collect assets. Somebody's gonna write a really cool article called "Oral History of The Process" in the next few years at least.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

This might be a stupid question, but why do superstar free agents always pass on Dallas? Dirk is a beloved dude, Carlisle is a great coach, and I would assume the training facilities are top notch.

clubbing with mark cuban weirds them out too much

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It was a load of poo poo; e.g. the attendance on their road games in 2015 was 17th in the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2015/sort/awayAvg

The percentage stat is more useful since that clears up discrepancy in arena size. In 2016 their road attendance was 26th, and their home attendance was dead last. Home attendance does matter to other teams, because of revenue sharing payouts. GM's don't like subsidizing blatantly unprofitable franchises. I'd also be curious for the dollar figure, because every team has dynamic pricing based on the team attending -- I suspect prices for 76ers road games were in the bottom price tier for every arena in the country. Raptors and Celtics road games are also near the bottom in attendance, but they almost certainly had more expensive tickets. Phoenix and Orlando are down there with Philly in numbers, so I'd be curious to see if there was a significant difference in average ticket price between those three or if they were all around equally lovely at generating cash.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 30, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/basketball/98the+film+toronto+raptors+subjected+grueling+video/12452575/story.html

I give Casey a lot of poo poo, but he's still a good defensive coach and the Raptors have been garbage at defense this year so I like the mental picture of him making the team sit around and watch their defensive lowlights.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was 6 in 1998 so I presume most people born after like 1988 haven't unless they watch old games.

just lol if the background to your childhood wasn't playing with blocks and poo poo in the living room while your dad was watching the bulls - jazz series

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Papercut posted:

I was 17 during that series :/

Yeah I'm a kid.

Actually as a Canadian dude (who didn't live in Toronto or Vancouver) it was a miracle that my dad watched the NBA at all in the 90's, he was an early adapter. I didn't start following it hardcore till I was in university tbh, but it was on consistently enough in the living room as a kid that I can get nostalgic for garbage 90's basketball and get hype for the NBC theme.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean poo poo, if they really feel that Saric is their forward of the future it makes sense having a lineup that can run both at the same time.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

Green really needs to shut the gently caress up. You know when you were cool and good, Dray? When you played great D did some flexing from time to time and did not show the world your dick. I really don't care whether or not other fans hate you, but stop antagonizing the freaking referees and league officials.

Also, Atlanta should pull the pluck and trade Schröder for Teague. "Yeah, our bad. We picked the wrong dude. Sorry."

edit:

Is Isaiah Thomas really 5'9"? He seems even smaller. Anyway, he's viciously attacking 1990-91 Michael Adams for the title of best single scoring season by a small dude (< 6 feet) ever.

Actually, showing the world your dick and kicking people is extremely cool.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Strawberry Panda posted:

Goethe is pronounced "gerta."

Jesus CHRIST your turning my world upside down here

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Libertine posted:

Sheed never broke any rules that weren't yelling bullshit at seat rattling decibel level. If you want dirty Pistons players you want Laimbeer and Mahorn.

It's all before my time, but I literally had a conversation about those two guys with my dad a few hours ago because I brought up Laimbeer as the most hated basketball player of all time. My dad strictly maintained that Rick Mahorn was worse because they were both dirty as gently caress, but Laimbeer could actually play basketball, wheras Mahorn just existed to play a little defense and get in fights.

shoutout to basketball dads

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Time posted:

I might be mixing rick stories up because he also dunked on a deaf kid

it was an underage deaf laker girl.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Spacebump posted:

Brian Cardinal actually had a positive contribution in a playoff game while in Dallas. The best thing that happened with playoff Rondo on the Mavs was getting kicked off the team.

Brian Cardinal's best contribution to the NBA was his old facebook page circa 2011 and it's a travesty that it looks like it's disappeared into the internet void.

quote:

"Wet the three ball, showed Lebron how to handle the rock and taught Wade not to come into my nest. Miami...... HOLD MY DICK"

quote:

"I never saw anything more sexy than my reflection in the Larry O'Brian Trophy. That Three I hit was wetter than LeBricks mom. I would like to thank Rick for giving me a chance to spread my wings and fly. You can tell Lebron that I'll be here again next year and I'm keeping my talents in North Texas."

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 6, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Yeah gently caress he's so good off ball, his cuts are unreal.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Libertine posted:

Does Giannis have outside shooting? I know he's crazy this year but I don't really see the Dirk comp.

Yeah he can't shoot worth poo poo...yet. Right now everything he's achieving is because he's loving unguardable around the rim. He's a matchup nightmare, distributes the ball, and plays good defence for a 21 year old.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Not really, but if he ever develops a good jumper you may as well put him in the hall right now.

Basically this. At 21 with his current skill set he's already looking like a guaranteed all star. If he gets an outside shot, the league is gonna be hosed.

e: Wait a sec, he just turned 22 today HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIANNIS

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 7, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

neither are wrong

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, that's what I am wondering. I've always assumed that there's a rule against it because you never see it (while it's a staple of NCAA basketball).

edit:

The Wiki entry says you can't wear shirts underneath your jersey in the NBA. But I can't find the actual rule.

https://books.google.fr/books?id=gtNDH_pR990C&pg=PA10 (2nd paragraph)

edit 2:

I think it's allowed on a case by case basis, you have to apply to the league for an exception. Howard, Porzingis, etc have it. For some reason centers like having the shirt underneath more?

Speaking of shirt conspiracy theories, I watched the Cavs play in sleeved jerseys the other day and it looked to me that while everyone else had tight sleeves, Lebron got one with loose sleeves. Since there was that high profile incident where he ripped the sleeves of his jersey to give him more room, I wonder if he's getting custom made shirt jerseys with bigger sleeves. Or maybe the league's offering two styles.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot and he's wearing a few sizes up for the sake of the sleeves. Rest of the jersey looked normal though.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I got nothing against kinesiotape as long as it feels good to you and you're not claiming it magically heals your injuries. As opposed to the old magnetic brackets where 'it makes me feel better' isn't even an argument that applies.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man, that Raptors Celtics game... Raptors came back and won while having half the assists the Celtics put up. Which was nice for me as a Raptors fan, but kind of a clear indication that the Celtics have a great system but are still a little low on high end talent.

And also a warning sign that Raptors garbage basketball like that isn't gonna hold up against real contenders, sweet.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

His numbers are bad partially because he got the ball in low-efficiency situations (especially before this season). isolations and post ups are low efficiency plays, so even good players's numbers look bad. This season he is playing off the ball more, and his shooting numbers have naturally improved. He is still taking too many bad shots for him to put up good numbers.

If he played for my team I would threaten to bench him every time he dribbled more than once without moving the ball or driving. I don't know why he still has bad habits. I get the feeling his previous coaches allowed him to get away with this, but I can't imagine Thibs encouraging it.

sam mitchell knows the key to an effective play is being athletic and having 'that look in your eye'

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Athanatos posted:

The Pacers need to pick up 1 player to secure a playoff spot. They "fixed" the bench rotation and the new bench is outscoring opponents by 20.4 points/100 poss...but since CJ Miles has been there, Pacers have been outscored 23.2 points/100 poss with Monta Ellis in the starting squad.

They need a clone of CJ Miles to play bench and starter minutes

Iunno how you can make a deal work, unless you find a team willing to take on Ellis as a rehabilitation project. I kinda like the idea of Ross for Thad Young as a Raptors fan, then you could slot Ross as a three point chucker and Young fixes up our PF rotation while we slide Powell into Ross's role, but gently caress if I know if that's realistic/I'm also an idiot. I doubt the Pacers are interested in getting rid of Young, I'm just Bill Simmons-ing here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Death By The Blues posted:

Raptors bench beasting. Norman is a treasure.

I think Bebe is at something like 80% FG% over the last two weeks or something dumb. I suppose he only really exists to dunk and finish alley oops a couple of times a game, but damned if he ain't good at it. Pretty much the polar opposite of Bismack 'Hands of Stone' Biyombo when it comes to catching the ball in the post.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
In the Dwayne Casey System, players do One Thing And One Thing Only. Also that thing is never allowed to change. Bebe gets to be the Defensive Centre by default though because JV is the Offensive Centre and we wouldn't want to to try to let him do anything else because that's not his one thing.

Also JV is bad at a defense. But hey, so is Bebe. He can hit monster blocks though, so he's got that going for him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The Raptors let the Bucks back into the game tonight as well after leading by 26 in the 2nd. Luckily we have Superstar TerrencE Ross to stop the bleeding.

e: Also, stats people -- is there anywhere where I can break down player/team stats by quarter? I'm bored and want to try to analyze the usage discrepancy of JV in the 1st versus the others. I've found his shooting splits for the quarters, but somehow can't find minutes per quarter + the other basic stats. I mean, everything's recorded on play by play's, right? Is there a place where I can just query it myself?

If I wanted to query a few seasons worth of game logs and just build it myself, what would be the best way of doing that? Yes, I'm outsourcing ideas because I'm an idiot who likes data but has no idea how to implement any of this poo poo in practice.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 13, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

Young mid-range shooting 4s with limited offensive ability who fans are inexplicably excited about?

Yeah except one's played efffectively in the NBA and the other just kinda fumbles around in garbage time and makes angry faces.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Zogo posted:

I wanted to see that video of Kevin Johnson attacking the guy who threw a pie at him. That guy should've worn Google Glass.

BBR has this:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/event_finder.cgi?request=1&event_code=fg&year_id=2017&is_playoffs=N&player_id=valanjo01
Ooh, my man, thank you

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

E2M2 posted:

Unironically how the gently caress has Lebron not had a major sports injury yet? Does he just take some insane HGH or something?

Just really loving lucky?

A Generational Talent Body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

Call it a hunch, I dont think too many contending teams have too many minutes available for old, bad Dirk.

raptors have a hole at PF and we like stretch fours.

But yeah there's no way he leaves the Mav's, that man is old school loyal.

e: wait he's being paid 25 million? OK, no thanks.

• Locked thread