Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

euphronius posted:

They weren't historically bad when he got there.

The ownership knew they had to get a lot worse to get better. They were in the treadmill stage. So they found Hinkie and said they want to blow it up. He said he could do that for them. They let him have 2.5 years doing that. Then the league and silver got to the ownership and put a stop to it because it would be bad for the league if more teams tanked.

Now we are stuck with Bryan colangelo who appears to be an idiot. Hopefully Simmons and embiid are good enough to power the team even with a dumb gm.

Did the league really force them to stop? I remember people here speculating about it but I would love to read more about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Nobody thinks this. He just didn't think their feelings should have much of an effect on decision-making.

Isn't that the same thing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time posted:

Did the league really force them to stop? I remember people here speculating about it but I would love to read more about it

Two lines of evidence

1. They explicitly attempted to reform the lottery . It barely failed. It was well known this was done to stop teams from doing what the Sixers were doing

2.. this is murkier but I believe the inferences are sound : Silver introduced Jerry colangelo to the Sixers owners in late fall 2015. It's been reported that silver did this on his own accord or that the the Sixers owners asked him "for help". I believe the former. Anyway , inserting Jerry colangelo into a franchise is like inserting a xenomorph into a space ship. He ate everyone and left his spawn behind.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sam Hinke seems like he'd be loving intolerable to spend any significant amount of time around

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

Sam Hinke seems like he'd be loving intolerable to spend any significant amount of time around

Nah. I would tell him to be more straightforward when I ask him for feedback on something, though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I listen to my audiobooks at like 1.2x-2x speed depending on the narrator and any faster than that is stupid and illegible and I doubt that anyone is absorbing concepts spat at Twista/auctioneer speeds. 3x is bizarre and makes me doubt the whole thing.

I listen to podcasts at >2x and it's totally doable, but I listen to mainly news/sports stuff, and not audiobooks. Note that the gains beyond 2x speed come from shortening the silences between words, not speeding up the words themselves.

Then again, I also managed to watch 68 episodes of an hourlong drama in 6 nights thanks to a plugin letting me stream netflix at 2x speed so I'm a little nuts

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 30, 2016

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I usually watch basketball games from the inside out. I start with the third quarter, then watch the second backwards, then watch the first forward, and then the fourth backwards. Watching it this way makes it easier to calculate what percentage of high fives make "solid contact" a new metric to determine team work efficiency.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Dirk is now out for at least the next 3 games instead of 2. It's going to be rough when he gets back, it always takes him at least a week or two to play himself back into shape.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

straight up brolic posted:

is there a statute of limitations on being a grumpy old man?

IN LATE WITH "WHAT DO YOU THINK SONNY" :corsair:

euphronius posted:

Is 55 old ? 55 is not old.

thank you, Friend

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Dirk is now out for at least the next 3 games instead of 2. It's going to be rough when he gets back, it always takes him at least a week or two to play himself back into shape.

You gotta think Dirk hangs it up after this season, right? Guy can't stay on the floor, and when he is on the floor he has no legs and can't shoot.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's great how Cuban blew up his championship team to maintain future flexibility and then proceeded to whiff on almost everything and waste Dirk's twilight years

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

It's great how Cuban blew up his championship team to maintain future flexibility and then proceeded to whiff on almost everything and waste Dirk's twilight years

That team was built around ancient Jason Kidd, Old Jason Terry, Old Shawn Marion, Old Dirk, Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler.

That's not really a long term contender.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
This might be a stupid question, but why do superstar free agents always pass on Dallas? Dirk is a beloved dude, Carlisle is a great coach, and I would assume the training facilities are top notch.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Two lines of evidence

1. They explicitly attempted to reform the lottery . It barely failed. It was well known this was done to stop teams from doing what the Sixers were doing

2.. this is murkier but I believe the inferences are sound : Silver introduced Jerry colangelo to the Sixers owners in late fall 2015. It's been reported that silver did this on his own accord or that the the Sixers owners asked him "for help". I believe the former. Anyway , inserting Jerry colangelo into a franchise is like inserting a xenomorph into a space ship. He ate everyone and left his spawn behind.

I'd be curious about what the actual numbers are, but a lot of the owners were grumbling about how low revenue was when the Sixers came to town. I want to see what the average stadium income is per team, what the Sixers was, and what the next lowest was.

Hinkie tanked the teams reputation to probably the lowest that any NBA team has ever had. Does anything even come close? Early 2010's Bobcats? Pre-Blake Griffin Clippers? Stepian era Cavs? Tanking isn't new and every couple of years you see historically garbage teams appear, but the Sixers dedication to bottoming out was unprecedented. He did this mainly by two things: 1) racing to the bottom by trading away every decent player he had that wasn't on a rookie contract for future assets and 2) his belief of trying to find needles in the haystack of d-league players, second round picks, and cast offs over signing a couple of veterans. Individually neither of those techniques are unheard of, but the combination of both and his unbridled enthusiasm with them was unique to say the least. Hinkie violated the unspoken rule that even when you're tanking, you should be attempting to put on a watchable product. He pissed off a lot of people in the league as a result.

It's hard to quantify fan-base enthusiasm. The Sixers made it through the dark ages and now 'feel' (whatever that means) like they're ordinary bad, not historically bad. They're a bad young team, but they have a million assets and a couple of players to get excited about. If they end up getting really good over the next 5 years, some people will say it was worth it. But the Hinkie era is going in the history books because that poo poo was ridiculous. No one has ever flipped off the fans and the league so hard and consistently over a three year period in such a blatant plan to collect assets. Somebody's gonna write a really cool article called "Oral History of The Process" in the next few years at least.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

This might be a stupid question, but why do superstar free agents always pass on Dallas? Dirk is a beloved dude, Carlisle is a great coach, and I would assume the training facilities are top notch.

clubbing with mark cuban weirds them out too much

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jack's Flow posted:

I mean, the past few times they have gone hard after people it honestly seems like they try way too hard. Like they made a Cartoon for Dwight and there was that whole fiasco with Deandre.

Also the past few years, they just have not been that good of a spot... do you really want to be the star that pairs up with an old, waning Dirk Nowitski, and then follow in his footsteps? That's not exactly a good position to be in.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Would Cuban blow it up if Dallas is on track to miss the playoffs?

I'm guessing they would keep Dirk. But Deron, Bogut, Devin Harris and maybe even Matthews might get some looks from playoff teams. A couple picks or young players could help Dallas rebuild around a core of Harrison Barnes and Dwight Powell (lol)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

attackmole posted:

I'd be curious about what the actual numbers are, but a lot of the owners were grumbling about how low revenue was when the Sixers came to town. I want to see what the average stadium income is per team, what the Sixers was, and what the next lowest was.

Hinkie tanked the teams reputation to probably the lowest that any NBA team has ever had. Does anything even come close? Early 2010's Bobcats? Pre-Blake Griffin Clippers? Stepian era Cavs? Tanking isn't new and every couple of years you see historically garbage teams appear, but the Sixers dedication to bottoming out was unprecedented. He did this mainly by two things: 1) racing to the bottom by trading away every decent player he had that wasn't on a rookie contract for future assets and 2) his belief of trying to find needles in the haystack of d-league players, second round picks, and cast offs over signing a couple of veterans. Individually neither of those techniques are unheard of, but the combination of both and his unbridled enthusiasm with them was unique to say the least. Hinkie violated the unspoken rule that even when you're tanking, you should be attempting to put on a watchable product. He pissed off a lot of people in the league as a result.

It's hard to quantify fan-base enthusiasm. The Sixers made it through the dark ages and now 'feel' (whatever that means) like they're ordinary bad, not historically bad. They're a bad young team, but they have a million assets and a couple of players to get excited about. If they end up getting really good over the next 5 years, some people will say it was worth it. But the Hinkie era is going in the history books because that poo poo was ridiculous. No one has ever flipped off the fans and the league so hard and consistently over a three year period in such a blatant plan to collect assets. Somebody's gonna write a really cool article called "Oral History of The Process" in the next few years at least.

It was a load of poo poo; e.g. the attendance on their road games in 2015 was 17th in the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2015/sort/awayAvg

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jack's Flow posted:

Dan Fegan.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

That team was built around ancient Jason Kidd, Old Jason Terry, Old Shawn Marion, Old Dirk, Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler.

It's not long term but those players weren't done right after they won their championship and another year or two of being a competitive team is way better than what they got in return.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jack's Flow posted:

They got kinda unlucky by having their window of building around Dirk coincide with a bunch of FA's that weren't likely to go to Dallas. The only real ones that I think they missed out on hard were Aldridge and Jordan. Doesn't seem like they're going to score big this year either what with a ton of FA's having bird rights, a big salary cap, and not a lot of big names out there that are likely to leave their squad.

I do think they could do a way better job of finding those ancillary players that made their championship squad. Matthews is a piece, not a superstar part of a big 3. Same with Williams or Rondo when he was there. Everyone else is d-league or end of bench quality.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Dallas will probably have a renaissance as soon as Dirk is gone. No offense to Dirk who is one of my all-time favorite players. It's just kind of the same thing as Kobe's twilight years. It's not going to be anyone else's team until Dirk retires, and no superstar is going to want to play in Dirk's legacy shadow.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The only bad things Hinkie did, was piss off agents with how bad at communication he was. And not keep some token vets and pros around as an example to young players.

Other than that he was completely correct and making the right moves before he got screwed over by the league right as Embid was getting healthy enough to play games consistently.

Hinkie at least as an outsider to the Sixers fanbase seem to have gotten completely jobbed out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jack's Flow posted:

At the very least you could say that Dallas is a place where it's "Dirk and Carlisle's way or the highway" and then speculate that their way isn't fun to many players due to the growing list of players who have decided to choose the highway over the past five or six years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

The only bad things Hinkie did, was piss off agents with how bad at communication he was. And not keep some token vets and pros around as an example to young players.

Other than that he was completely correct and making the right moves before he got screwed over by the league right as Embid was getting healthy enough to play games consistently.

Hinkie at least as an outsider to the Sixers fanbase seem to have gotten completely jobbed out.

I agree here. If Hinkie ran a PR campaign around "building for the future" and made a few concessions to agents (who wield a lot more power than people realize) I think the story around him would be a lot better.

Unfortunately, that stuff is also part of the GMs job.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

attackmole posted:

as a Sixers fan since the early 80s I thought it was fine and cool. There was tons of good basketball to watch besides the sixers. It was only 3 years. What's three years? ive been watching for 30.

Also yeah, the Process is over. Embiid is on the court. Its build around him time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

I agree here. If Hinkie ran a PR campaign around "building for the future" and made a few concessions to agents (who wield a lot more power than people realize) I think the story around him would be a lot better.

Unfortunately, that stuff is also part of the GMs job.

Yeah Hinkie even said that in the SI article.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm excited for the return of scotty. Hope he gets a standing ovation

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It was a load of poo poo; e.g. the attendance on their road games in 2015 was 17th in the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2015/sort/awayAvg

The percentage stat is more useful since that clears up discrepancy in arena size. In 2016 their road attendance was 26th, and their home attendance was dead last. Home attendance does matter to other teams, because of revenue sharing payouts. GM's don't like subsidizing blatantly unprofitable franchises. I'd also be curious for the dollar figure, because every team has dynamic pricing based on the team attending -- I suspect prices for 76ers road games were in the bottom price tier for every arena in the country. Raptors and Celtics road games are also near the bottom in attendance, but they almost certainly had more expensive tickets. Phoenix and Orlando are down there with Philly in numbers, so I'd be curious to see if there was a significant difference in average ticket price between those three or if they were all around equally lovely at generating cash.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 30, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are local tv deals profit shared amongst the owners?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paul Zuvella posted:

You gotta think Dirk hangs it up after this season, right? Guy can't stay on the floor, and when he is on the floor he has no legs and can't shoot.

I personally think he will. This could completely change as the season progresses, it's probably to early to tell and we should wait until later in the season to make the call. I did buy tickets to the Mavs' last home game of the season as a precaution. Carlisle recently hinted that they are resting him as much so he can possibly play 2-3 more seasons.

Of course he is going to have no legs and not be able to shoot when he comes back from injury. That's how it's been his whole career whenever he comes back from injuries. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be scoring around 18 a night on a good percentage 1.5-2 weeks after his return

Paul Zuvella posted:

And Barea! I think if they had dropped Butler, kept Barea + Chandler, and still picked up Carter+ Wright they would have been good enough to be a contender for the next 2 seasons. They wouldn't have been nearly as bad the next season if Odom didn't have a mental breakdown. If he had played just slightly worse than when he was one the Lakers, that would have improved the 12 squad massively.

Jack's Flow posted:

Dirk didn't go out of his way to recruit (meaning invite guys over to his house during playoff games or regular season like Durant/Warriors) beyond a few calls, texts, and meetings in the offseason. Generally the free agents that passed did so to either a) get paid or b)play with a younger superstar. It's hard to beat those two choices.

Libertine posted:

Dallas will probably have a renaissance as soon as Dirk is gone. No offense to Dirk who is one of my all-time favorite players. It's just kind of the same thing as Kobe's twilight years. It's not going to be anyone else's team until Dirk retires, and no superstar is going to want to play in Dirk's legacy shadow.

This also might play a role in it. However, how many superstars have the Mavs really tried to go after in free agency post '11? Dwight & Deron were both good but weren't superstars during that summer. Neither were DJ, Whiteside, or Conley. Very good players, all stars even but not superstars like LeBron and Durant. The superstar they were planning on going hard at (CP3) got traded to a great situation on the Clippers.

Getting Barnes is still a huge success while the Warriors basically pushed him out the door (and he was an RFA), he still could have gone to other teams. Not a superstar but still a great free agent with all star potential.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Listening to podcasts at 3x speed is playing a trick on yourself, like speed reading, where you confuse recognition with understanding.

An enlightening story:

And the rear end saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the rear end turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the rear end, to turn her into the way. 24But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side. 25And when the rear end saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again. 26And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. 27And when the rear end saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the rear end with a staff. 28And the LORD opened the mouth of the rear end, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Are local tv deals profit shared amongst the owners?

I don't think so. I'm not even sure if local tv deals count as BRI for the CBA. i can't find anything in a quick search to refute or support my claims, so I'm probably wrong.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/basketball/98the+film+toronto+raptors+subjected+grueling+video/12452575/story.html

I give Casey a lot of poo poo, but he's still a good defensive coach and the Raptors have been garbage at defense this year so I like the mental picture of him making the team sit around and watch their defensive lowlights.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Libertine posted:

I checked the boxes before bed last night and I was honestly floored at some of these outcomes. Magic and Bucks winning by double-digits over the Spurs and Cavs? Nets beating Clippers in 2OT and some guy named Sean Kilpatrick scored nearly 40 points. Who the gently caress is Sean Kilpatrick?

That Cavs score was really shocking. First I checked to see if LeBron played (he did), then I had to see if it was the second game of a back-to-back (it wasn't). Giannis is for real, yo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavs be coasting .

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No but the media told me it was JRs fault

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

I don't think so. I'm not even sure if local tv deals count as BRI for the CBA. i can't find anything in a quick search to refute or support my claims, so I'm probably wrong.

All broadcast rights are part of BRI, although local teams can hide some of that money with special deals or ownership stakes. Typically it's a relatively small % that is hidden this way since the owners know if they push too hard eventually the NBAPA will go to war about it (ie, eventually owners will push too hard because thats what greedy white people do).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh well the Sixers local tv audience was like 500 people .

It's much better now because the beautiful Cameroonian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Time posted:

I think some reporters had said that teams were angry about what the Sixers were doing. Not sure if they demanded it but I do think there was some pressure from the league. I can't blame other teams for complaining.

Local TV deals also count. I remember the Lakers big TV deal knocking the salary cap up a bit on its own.

• Locked thread