Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Can any Spurs fan who watched the preseason tell me what new players to get excited about

Bryn Forbes and Davis Bertans could prove to be brilliant. Bertans will play, if Forbes can keep up his ~60% 3pt accuracy he'll play too.

Dejounte Murray will play in Austin but will develop into something really good. Laprovittola will be a solid manu-lite 3rd string PG.

David Lee will probably be a sieve on defense, but he can rebound and will score better than David West did last year, so I think he's a plus. Dwayne Dedmon is a foul machine. I mean literally a foul machine. If he can figure out how to control is massive body he'll be a great asset. Otherwise, eh.

Pau will, in my opinion be an upgrade to Duncan. Yes, I said it. Sure, his defense will not be as good, but the Spurs have plenty of room to spare in that department. Meanwhile, Duncan couldn't score last year, but Pau looks like he'll be able to and he's a good rebounder which the spurs desperately need.

Simmons still lacks control. Anderson is coming along nicely; how nicely will likely determine the outcome of the season. Manu is old but hopefully still has some left in the tank (especially come playoff time). Patty still likes to run and gun and might see some time at the 2 next to laprovittola. Danny Green is Danny Green. Great defense, streaking shooting. If his shooting is on we'll be in great shape. If not, well…Tony seems to have good chemistry with Pau on the P&R. Its an Olympic year so we'll see how long our Foreign Vets can stay healthy/fresh.

Aldridge is expected to have a massive year. I expect it too. He and Kawhi are now the offense and he was looking very comfortable at the end of last year. He still has a somewhat naturally awkward game, but I think by now they've work out the kinks.

Kawhi is Kawhi and this is the season we find out if he's a superstar or just the greatest "good" player to ever play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
here are my hot takes:

jump shooting teams can't win championships

big men should learn to shoot free throws

the warriors set illegal screens

i unironically believe all of these to be true

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yes

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
*bursts in to thread panting*

hey everyone!

*gasps for air*

BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
what a great opening night for the Spurs. what a great opening night for basketball. here's to 2016-17 being a great season

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
what do you guys think about the warriors pulling a Manu and dedicating one of their 4 stars to the 2nd unit, developing a dominating consistency with them and exploding off the bench? as it stands now they just have too much offensive talent up front to use effectively. i know they're going the "2 stars always on the floor" route, but i feel like that will always been relatively inconsistent due to being unable to develop chemistry with specific units.

the biggest problem with the "star off the bench" plan is that you need someone who is explosive to successfully pull it off. klay's defense would be missed too much and i don't think he can create well enough. green's success is as a facilitator, not an explosive star. and KD and Steph are too valuable to bring off the bench.

if i had a robot team with those players, i'd bring Steph off the bench. he's offensively explosive enough, can create his own shot, and would feast on 2nd units. bringing KD off the bench would probably work too, though.

not that it'll ever happen, but what do you guys think?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lmao, i tried to watch first take just to hear some people talk about the game last night and my god, my god, Stephen A Smith is loving awful. loving awful. it was painful.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The only NBA media you need is podcasts and TNT

Any good podcast recommendations?

Spurs in particular?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Duncan should unretire mid season and play 10-15 minutes a game.

nah, he can stay retired. the man is a legend. a god. but retirement is the best thing for him and the team.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sba posted:

Is it weird that I got into the NBA and finally caved to League Pass because of the social media aspects of it??

I find a lot of the people who cover the NBA are interesting and the "meme" content is really funny (like all the KD switching to a Spurs jersey jokes from last night, and the weird anime cartoons everyone liked last year)

Like, I've quietly read these threads for like 2 years now, and they're among my favorites here to read, you all know whats going on and are funny.

I don't know poo poo about the intricacies of basketball, and I'm going to do my best to figure it out, so I won't contribute much, but thanks for helping me get into it.

(go Kings)

the ball goes into the hoop

the warriors are shook

death, taxes, spurs

that about sums it up i think

(this is a great thread with really fun posters)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

You don't need to watch condensed Jazz/Blazers, I've condensed it for you:

lmao at leonard's face.

yes. at his face

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that's pretty dope

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is league pass really free for the week?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
basketball season truly is the best time of year

:legion:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Brow put up 50/16/5 with 7 steals and 4 blocks. Mother of god.

Of course they lost because their starting point guard is Tim Frazier but whatever

what!? no loving way

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

I dropped my macbook and smashed the screen and spent most of the game cross shopping new computers so I don't have any analysis, I mostly just heard the broadcast

I tink it was just a combo of bad pg defense, Tobias Harris, and Drummond

sorry for your loss

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Hey remember when people were thinking Towns is already better than Davis ugh

i hope he makes it through the season injury free. league needs young monsters

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is Jonathon Simmons real?

with simmons its all about consistency. we know he has talent, ability, and desire. the question is can he do it on reg and cut down on turnovers

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i just watched last nights spurs game, and let me say: dave joeger is amazing. what he got out of that kings team is drat impressive. i wish him and them all the luck in the world.

also i'm glad the spurs won, and kawhi is the front runner for mvp as of 2 games. 80 more to go.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Love Kawhi's face of how proud he was of his snowball.

Pau on the Spurs feels like it should've happened years ago (too bad he's been outplayed by Dedmon and Lee so far).

it was "supposed to happen" (could have happened) like 3 or 4 years ago, but pau decided to go to chicago because he recognized southern texas for the cultural wasteland that it is. it was a terribly stupid basketball decision that saw him waste the last few quality years he had left in him, but i can see why he thought it might have been an ok one. back then he was coming off some championships with the Lakers, the Bulls hadn't quite turned into the dumpster fire they've become, he probably figured the east was easier to make his mark, and he was coming out of LA where being a pretentious douche was a good thing. now he's finally in San Antonio, but we'll never get to see the glory that could have been a Timmy and Pau front court. that could have been awesome. or a disaster. who knows?

edit: last night's game was a perfect example of how much SA misses Danny Green right now. his defense is great and his offense meshes much better with the starters than Kyle Anderson's (note: kyle's defense is really good too). if we can get a decent 3pt shooting Danny Green back into that starting unit it will solve a lot of its offensive woes.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 29, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
spurs bench is looking rock solid. that's very comforting. can't wait for green to come back so we can see the full voltron

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

It still blows my mind how little respect Green gets. The team is looking pretty nice overall.

In the back of my mind those Aldridge rumors still worry me.

yeah, i hear that. the thing with lamarcus is where would he rather go? he's on an awesome team that wins. i think they have a real chance at doing something unexpectedly great this year or next.

losing him doesn't worry too much, because his game is incredibly awkward and we already have a finesse big with some crossover in Pau (not that he's better than LA). i think the spurs need a more powerful down low presence. someone who's game is more taking it to the rack and grabbing more rebounds (though LA has been pretty good on both fronts this year) oh and also a better defender. oh how i dream of picking up Cousins when he's available…

for now i don't see him going anywhere. this is his best chance for that illusive title. and when danny green comes back there can be some awesome outside-in/inside-out game for him. the whole spurs offense is kinda clogged without danny because of how non-threatening anderson's offensive game is right now. once green is back it'll open up more space for lamarcus to operate.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

Now i'm thinking about a swerve where golden state wins the title but it turns out there was never a title to win

curry takes the trophy from silver and as he raises it it turns to sand in his hands. the lights turn off and the audience fades away. the warriors find themselves standing in an abandoned lot at dawn. a single man pushing a broom in the distance. is that...confetti?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

Having a discussion with someone who said Rubio isn't a top 10 PG. A defensible position I guess though I disagree, but then he named Jrue Holiday, old man Tony Parker and Rondo as players all better than him.

Help me SAS, you're my only hope.

tony is definitely not at top 10 pg

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

Your debate partner is operating on the now-outdated alpha system of ranking players, you should strangle him to prove your dominance

a sound strategy

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

straight up brolic posted:

In other news the Warriors are complaining to the media that teams are being too physical against them literally three games into the season

lol. what a clown

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

Thursday is the first OKC - GSW game. Get in

It'll be so good.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
reggie miller is the worst basketball announcer i've ever had the displeasure of listening to

i like sean elliot, but i also love the spurs and he deserves his reputation as a homer

too bad for boston, they came back but couldn't sustain it.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

you miss every nutshot you dont take

some times you just got to slap another man's meat

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

Was Roy Brown's song Butcher Pete, written in 1949, actually about Draymond Green?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY4N5NOAsH0

:eyepop:

edit: that song is…ridiculous.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 5, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sharparoni posted:

*wakes up, looks at box scores*

*crashes into NBA thread Kool Aid Man style*

WHEN IT COMES TO LOSING TO THE LAKERS, THE WARRIORS ARE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF EVERY OTHER TEAM

*passes out*

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Didn't they never win a game in the Finals after Bogut went down? Seems like an important piece of the puzzle.

Bogut was dl the most important piece to the warriors puzzle. they struggled in the post season due to him being injured before they went to the big dance. he was the screen setter that made all their open looks happen (green too but still), he was the rock solid foundation of their defense (not green), and his rebounding cleaned up a ton of their messes. i've been noticing them coming up for years and bogut's been a major key to their success. its surprising to me how easily people thought they could just walk away from him without any repercussions. i figure he's just too injury prone to be reliable so they knew they needed to cut bait eventually, but he was a big deal on that team.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i think my favorite warriors talking point this season is "even when lebron went to miami it took time to gel"

no body seems to remember that that miami team went on to lose in the finals that year

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boogie looking for his way out

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i think klay's in store for a (last year) danny green type of year.

both guys thrive off of familiarity to a system, a clearly defined role, and rhythm.

last year the spurs changed up their offense pretty radically and added an entirely new major offensive asset. danny green's offense suffered tremendously for it and he was one of the pioneer 3&d guys. i get that klay is "better" than danny, but i think you'll see very similar results. they're both very finely tuned pieces and any disruption could be damaging to their game.

we're all holding our breath that danny can come back this season now that there's some more continuity, but i think we'll see klay struggle for a while.

i think danny's more mentally tough than klay because pop destroyed all sense of self in him long ago. danny can be expected to adapt and change whereas klay hasn't really had to deal with the kind of struggle that danny's career put him through.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

straight up brolic posted:

Ron Artest publically declared that his favorite movie was half baked and that he's working on a movie about a basketball player that smokes a lot of weed

your gonna be a star, kid

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

One obvious solution is to trade green or klay for tons of young cheap talent.

i see a lot of delusional people overstate klay's value like crazy.

namely a lot of "trade klay for demarcus cousins" lol.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

klay is one of the best shooters of all time and an excellent perimeter defender, that is a lot harder to find than y'all seem to think

i don't disagree that he's really really good. i just think he's a ~~~system player~~~ that achieved tremendously in a long running successful system that played to his strengths. now that system has changed and he's having trouble adapting. its the same thing that happened to danny green. they're both very finely tuned 3&D machines but stability, familiarity, and comfort are are vital to their functioning.

the difference is that danny green was made into pop's bitch long ago so i think he'll bounce back just fine. klay seems kinda mentally weak so a changing, shrinking role could really effect him.

once again though, maybe i'm totally wrong, but so far this season he's struggled in a way i've seen before

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

its the kung-fu fighting that really brings me into this video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i don't think lebron is the GOAT

i think he's amazing. a generational talent

but not the goat.

he more than anyone has benefitted from the dumpster fire that is the east. even after forming the super heat team he underperformed tremendously against the Mavs, barely beat the spurs in '13, and got shattered in '14.

of his 3 finals victories: 1 was all-time great, 1 was exciting but not because of lebron, and 1 was against a thunder team that over performed to get there. granted, that's 3 finals wins, one of which is historic, but don't let recency bias fool you, his other two weren't exactly for the record books.

of his 4 losses: 1 was an obliteration that he experienced due to being from one of the weakest conferences ever (and subsequently wouldn't see the finals until 4 seasons later (celtics, magic, celtics). the next was against a Mavs team that had no business winning, but did and it was awesome. then he got beaten historically by a vengeful Spurs team. and finally in a battle decided by fate when the banged up cavs lost to the warriors.

he's had his moments both extremely good AND extremely bad

don't get me wrong, he's amazing. he's awesome and by far the best player around today. but i don't think he's the greatest to ever play. in my opinion he benefits more from physical superiority than basketball skill. many of his skills on both ends are inconsistent. and most importantly, his finals record is grossly inflated because of the historical embarrassment that is the eastern conference. it is just getting good this year after over a decade of suck. i remember more than one year where sub-500 teams were making the playoffs.

i try to keep an open mind, but at the same time i think its important to take his whole career and the context of his era into consideration rather than let one of the most enjoyable finals series ever completely color my perspective.

if the 2016 finals was an historic win that should count for him, the 2014 finals were an historic dismantling that should also count against him (also 2011 when he didn't perform well).

tl;dr i think lebron is awesome, cool, good, and an all time great, but i don't think he's the GOAT

i think jordan is the goat

• Locked thread