Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

People laughed when I posted grainy footage of Joel Embiid taking free throws, but they're not laughing now, are they. The Ben Simmons hype train is leaving the station and it's time to hop on board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

straight up brolic posted:

can someone dig up the posts making GBS threads on Giannis true believers because they are very good

The Glumslinger posted:

It'll probably be a ton of quotes from me, so just save the time and call me an idiot
There's dozens of them but actually 99% of them are by BIZORT

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Being wrong is the worst thing possible which is why it' sso bold and daring to make lots of dangerous predictions, like: in 2 years the Sixers will make the playoffs

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

how'd I do?

Just to be clear on what I'm seeing here... Dame goes over the screen, then switches anyway??

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

During his last big free agency drama I really wanted LeBron to sign with the Hawks just to see if Korver could have a season where he shot like 70% from 3
Now he'll receive the ball not only wide open but also with the seams just the way he likes. But. What does this mean for JR Smith...?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Why would Philly want Millsap? First off he might leave after half a season - a season in which winning games hurts their draft prospects. Secondly even if he resigns he's too old for them. He will be 32 in a month and 34-35 by the time the Sixers are good enough to compete even under an optimistic outlook. Like he's good and I'd really like him on any competing team but teams that are bad now seem like the last place he should go.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kawhi runs into his elbow popping the ball loose, then recovers it so seamlessly it looks like a handoff

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Crazy Ted posted:

John "Hot Plate" Williams
Hot Rod Williams is an extremely cool name in hindsight. You can't have names that ostentatiously cool anymore though as it would be gauche.

Also for Harden please never forget his tier 2 nickname, Jimmy Free Throws.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/JCameratoCSN/status/818197389144129541

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spoeank posted:

When asked for a follow up, Rose responded "it is what it is."
Ah yes.. the famous "Reflexive Property"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Noctone posted:

I'm gonna be so mad when the Sixers make the playoffs in a couple years and the Colangelos get credit for Hinkie's genius.
Nobody is gonna forget that Embiid is a Hinkie guy. Embiid has made sure of that.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

The entire country of Georgia is voting for Zaza
Yeah but still, somehow he has almost twice the votes of Embiid and it's hard to believe. I just looked at Embiid's twitter page and counted 218,000 votes right there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Athanatos posted:

You can link tweets here, no need to screenshot. Also, whoever screenshot this is not following Embiid on twitter, and therefore is not leading a fulfilling life.
Embedded tweets on this site don't include the internally quoted tweets so conveying the interaction here without screenshots would destroy the elegance contained within

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Looks like my posting last season was very wise

Fast Luck posted:

Obviously with Embiid being a bigger more athletic Towns, the Sixers have the most talented player in the NBA on their roster, and they'll reach enormous heights starting next season when Embiid's foot rises from the ashes like Curry's ankles did.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Just remembered this picture

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That KG story is amazing

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boban is a rookie in nosferatu years I could see him running pg in a couple years

p.s.
Spurs bad y'all
The NBA's next great shooting guard scored 40 points for the second consecutive game. Devin Booker just turned twenty 75 days ago by the way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

Karl's brain is fried, I hate to say that so impolitely, but I don't think we should pile on him because it's so clear that this is not what he'd say, say 5 years ago
On the other hand people have been calling him a snake in the grass since long before now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's way more than a one-way role player. He's one of the most unique players in the NBA right now so it's hard to really compare him to anyone, but he passes better than just about any big man I've seen in recent memory and he runs the offense better than any of their guards.
Hmm sounds like a poor man's Giannis

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Kanter is okafors most reasonable upside IMHO.
I think Okafor has a better upside than Kanter. At 20 years old he scored a pretty efficient 17.5ppg and he was able to create most of that offense by himself. Now, I would never want to build around a poor defensive center, so he's limited in the same way Kanter is, but there's just something slightly intriguing about him where even though he seems to make his team worse it's sad seeingf him buried on a bench. edit: drat seems im pretty late with this reply.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 18, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It must be tough being a Toronto Raptors fan. They beat the teams they're supposed to beat, but they just can't get over the hump against top tier opponents.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/821911920097759232
Keep in mind, he plays for the 76ers.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

You're leaving out the part where CLE gets THREE #1 picks in a four year period. Their odds over that span pegged that as like a once every 2,000 year event (if you think the draft is really legitimate). Seeing as how the machinations of the draft are done behind closed doors I'm skeptical.

Imagine if those state lotteries were done behind a curtain rather than live on TV.
Cleveland won the #1 pick exactly when they needed to in order to acquire Love and bring LeBron back home. Pelicans won to get AD after the league did the Chris Paul shenanigans. Sixers finally win the #1 pick when they bow to the NBA's will and fire Hinkie and hire Colangelos. MAkes You THink.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 19, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Chairchucker posted:

I've changed my mind BTW it's Philly, possibly even this year.
If they actually made the playoffs this year, Embiid would win the MVP

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

When did Covington become "Rock"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BWV posted:

Jason Concepcion continues to be my favourite person at the Ringer. I've been playing this game for way too long:

https://theringer.com/tanking-the-game-5f5524ec589d#.1immo38bf
I graduated from Tank So Hard University with flying colors. Two superstars and a star by year 4!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

I can't imagine ainge wanting okafor anymore.
Okafor sat out like 8 games in a row or whatever because Embiid was playing. Hit with the DNP-CD.

Then despite not playing at all, when Embiid tweaks his knee, Okafor is out also with a sore knee somehow. Is he broken?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 27, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The maliciously vet loving coaches snubbing Embiid is a crime, there's no one more I'd be more excited to see in the All Star game
http://streamable.com/y85f4

Spacebump posted:

Pierre Jackson got injured last night and was on his second 10 day contract with the Mavs. I wish that didn't happen. I wanted them to sign him long term. Today they signed someone named Yogi Ferrell in his place. Really disappointed in this turn of events. The Cavs should sign Jackson once he is healthy, he is an underrated playmaker.
I agree. I've been watching him closely because he rules and I think he'd be perfect for the Cavs. Don't they have an open roster spot? I guess it depends how long this hamstring injury will keep him out...?

they sleep

Niwrad posted:

He also wanted Thibs fired and recruited both Wade and Rondo heavily. Those were the guys he wanted to play with.
I always thought he was a Thibs loyalist. That seemed to be the undertone of his public comments, to me. Whatever he said in closed door meetings easily could have been spun by management.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Space Camp fuckup posted:

LeBron strongarmed the Cavs into overpaying for all of his agent/friend's clients and then complains that the front office isn't doing enough. There's nothing left to do! They have no flexibility left. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't hate LeBron or anything but it's completely asinine that he publicly called out Griffin for this poo poo in the first place.
They have an open roster spot

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18591231/angry-lebron-sounding-off
This is a Windy article about Lebron. Warriors added Durant and Cavs let Dellavedova go and haven't replaced him. Picking up Korver was nice but I mean was kind of just because they lost JR to the injury.

Maybe it's not what he wants but the article mentions the Mavs picking up Yogi Ferrell. The Cavs have an empty roster spot, surely they could have put a Yogi Ferrell or Pierre Jackson on a bunch of 10-day contracts like the Mavs have been doing, and then sign one of them longer if they're good. Is there a reason they haven't bothered? I guess they're finally now bringing in some dudes for try outs. But it seems like they could have done this a month ago. Mario Chalmers okay. But they really should get Nate Rob!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just don't see Lance Stephenson doing anything that Richard Jefferson or Iman Shumpert doesn't already give you. Lance is a complete garbage shooter, and you don't need playmaking on the court when you have Kyrie Irving and Lebron James, you need shooting.
You can use his playmaking to let LeBron and Kyrie rest.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Doltos posted:

Fisher is a moron. Unless we don't know something that he does, the Knicks barely even ran the triangle under his tenure. Or they ran it but it wasn't the end all be all and it wasn't like Jackson was sitting behind him forcing him to run it that way. And where does his old rear end get to talk? He was carried to all his championships and spent his twilight years being dirty as gently caress and getting undeserved minutes.
Fisher got all his rings stolen by robbers yesterday

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

predicto posted:

Barkley is a loud-mouthed fool, but I love him. His job is to entertain, and he does it.

I generally respect the hell out of Lebron, but every once in a while he steps in it. He's being a thin-skinned little bitch here. Barkley's past personal pecadillos had nothing to do with anything. Lebron created the situation where he personally chose his teammates and made sure how well they got paid. The Cavs don't have much wiggle room now, because of Lebron's moves.

Lebron should responded to Barkley's chatter by saying "all I'm looking for is a backup point guard off the scrap heap" and no one would care. But he didn't. Attacking Barkley for unrelated personal behavior doesn't change the fact that Lebron built this team and put it 25 mil over the cap, and then called out management for not doing enough to win.

gently caress Dan Gilbert is always a valid point - but in this case it doesn't make Lebron less of a thin-skinned little bitch.
LeBron is actually 100% in the right because all he's asking for is a back-up PG to handle the ball a little and take the load off Kyrie and himself. He's not asking for Carmelo or a big free agent signing. There's an open space on the roster. The Cavs can easily sign a player to fill it.

Like, the fact that the Cavs locked up the guys they did doesn't mean it makes sense to just cruise through the season with an open roster spot while playing your 32-year-old superstar the most minutes in the NBA.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

predicto posted:

Of course he's 100% right that they should get a backup point guard. Unfortunately, that's not what he focused on, was it?

The best way to express the idea that you need a back up point guard is not by petulantly going all holier than thou "I'm a better person than you" on Charles Barkley. Barkley's not the GM, he's just a guy who stirs the soup on TNT. Nothing he says is serious or significant.

Of course, if Lebron had poo poo all over Mark Jackson, I would have no problem with it. But that is because Jackson is evil.
His initial comments were this:

Jan 7: "We still got a couple more things we need to do," James said Friday, when asked if Cleveland's pending trade with Atlanta for Korver was a "championship move." "We gotta get a point guard," James said. "It's my last time saying it. We need a point guard."James also said he'd like the Cavs to add another big man, but "there's not many bigs out there ... we'll see what happens."

Then nothing happened and they lost a bunch of games and he came back with this 2+ weeks later:

Jan 24: "I just hope that we're not satisfied as an organization," James said. "I just hope we're not satisfied. We're not better than last year," he said. "From a personnel standpoint. It's like when you don't have bodies, it's tough," James said. "The f------ grind of the regular season. We're a top-heavy team. We have a top-heavy team. We top-heavy as s---. It's me, [Kyrie Irving], [Kevin Love]. It's top-heavy. We need a f------ playmaker," James said. "I'm not saying you can just go find one, like you can go outside and see trees. I didn't say that."

Then he softened it up with some tweets:
https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/823966345888927745

I mean really, he's just accurately saying what's needed. For some reason a bunch of people get really upset about that and started trashing him, Barkley included. So Barkley got destroyed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bill Simmons is now also telling LeBron to shut up because his team is already good enough. I was driving and listening to the radio for like the only time ever last week and Le batard was saying how it's interesting how fans always say their team needs to add some help, but if a player ever says it they all get pissed at the player for being ungrateful. I think he's actually right

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Joel Embiid is being benched to stop the team from winning but they are imbued with his spirit and now the winning cannot be stopped. Who will claim Chicago's playoff spot, Philadelphia or the surging Kobe Wade-led Heat

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Hornets now have a Zeller and a Plumlee

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

attackmole posted:

Wait a sec I was just cruising some box scores, Yogisanity is still going?
He's why they're going to trade Deron Williams

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Constellation I posted:

That's just awful. With the entire league being so cautious about everything lately, it's surprising that their athletic trainer even let him back in. Hope he comes back stronger next year.
I don't think it really matters. There wasn't really anything in the initial crash that made it look like something serious had gone wrong and he didn't move around too strangely after. You see guys get just dinged (actual dings) and it looks basically the same. I doubt he aggravated it in the time after. I remember football players that have gone out on the field knowing they had torn ACLs and performing. I think on Clemson and also on Oregon?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rick posted:

The Wizards are good now.

See this is what happens if I don't do power rankings.
The Wizards have been good since December, when they figured it out.

If you look, their record since figuring it out is really good. I think it's like 20-7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

R.D. Mangles posted:

OTL has a huge feature on Oden right now, how is he only 28
There was kind of a hole in that story where Oden says he went to China and felt as good as he had in a long time and really felt ready to go, and then he dislocated his thumb.

Cut to: "Oden is now retired"

I mean the truth is probably that his knees were still busted and he was totally sapped of athleticism but it was just weird to have him saying he felt the best he had in years, and then go straight to he's retired.

• Locked thread