Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

NickRoweFillea posted:

I found you Evan

Kazaam, like Space Jam, was very bad, but by virtue of the vast majority of us watching it during our formative years, we view it through the most rose-tinted of glasses.

Kazaam was one of the first movies my mom took me to see in theaters when I was 5 and it was loud and scary so I cried until my mom took me out after 5 minutes. I was probably just being a whiny baby but I like to think I was preemptively evaluating its quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jesus christ

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

attackmole posted:

Kazaam was one of the first movies my mom took me to see in theaters when I was 5 and it was loud and scary so I cried until my mom took me out after 5 minutes. I was probably just being a whiny baby but I like to think I was preemptively evaluating its quality.

when i was like 7 my parents saved for like two years to afford a week vacation in hawaii and while we were there i got extremely sick from food poisoning or something and spent several days sleeping in the hotel bed and my parents rented space jam and i watched it like 5 times. i imagine they were upset that i couldnt enjoy the vacation but really i had a blast. ok thats my basketball movie story hope you liked it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

People are addicted to plus minus

My favorite use of it is to show how the negative plus minus or [player you hate] is their fault but the negative plus minus or [player you like] can be hand waved by circumstances

Don't know if it is still true, but Anthony Davis had the worst +/- on the Pelicans for at least the first month of the season. And there is no way he is the worst player on the team, so, yeah. Using +/- for single players like that is really, really, really dumb.

e: just checked and AD has moved up, but is still negative on the season. Only Jrue and Cunningham have positive +/-.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 14, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Just remembered this picture

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Fast Luck posted:

Hahah that is beautiful

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah Tom's yellin' "HE WAS!"

euphronius posted:

People are addicted to plus minus

My favorite use of it is to show how the negative plus minus or [player you hate] is their fault but the negative plus minus or [player you like] can be hand waved by circumstances

Hah, yup. I edited in more of a rant because I COULDN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THE BAD STAT :argh:

I mean, to an extent raw +/- does say something about the team's performance while that player is on the court, but it really can't be read in any way as explanation as to why that is happening. It should never ever be the center of an argument.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

or as the goon said before going in for breast reduction surgery

:lol:

Wilt seems missing.

Crazy Ted posted:

And tbh it's the way a Hall of Fame should be. It's way better than in baseball and football where even the best players have to wait years to get in - if at all - because a bunch of self-important people with their heads up their asses treat voting like it's a Papal Conclave.

The Basketball HOF is even more secretive. IIRC, the general public doesn't even know who votes for the players.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm a huge fan of all the graded non graded calibrated and isolated special plus minus stats, bapm, rpm, and most importantly pt-pm. Especially once you compare the stat to clips and see their brekadowns. Pure aggregate plus minus is useless and basically a game by game na
rrative stripped of detail or context.

With the other advanced pm stats you can really confirm an eye test or sometimes blow it up, then you get to watch clips and see what's going on and why you thought otherwise. It's helpful, it's a very helpful category of metrics

edit sorry for all the typos, I'm half blind, I'm getting eye surgery soon and you can trust that my posts will be of a higher quality

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 14, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

Bird about to get swatted. Time machines should exist just so Bill Simmons can watch LeBron James go back in time and try to murder every basketball player of the past 1x1

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

Don't know if it is still true, but Anthony Davis had the worst +/- on the Pelicans for at least the first month of the season. And there is no way he is the worst player on the team, so, yeah. Using +/- for single players like that is really, really, really dumb.

e: just checked and AD has moved up, but is still negative on the season. Only Jrue and Cunningham have positive +/-.

Jrue and Cunningham haven't played enough minutes to qualify for stat leaderboards. Comparing them to AD is misleading.

Buddy Hield is the low guy on NOP at -133.

EvanTH posted:

I mean, to an extent raw +/- does say something about the team's performance while that player is on the court, but it really can't be read in any way as explanation as to why that is happening. It should never ever be the center of an argument.

Two issues with +/- are that comparisons continue to be made between players who play 2,000+ minutes and players who play a few hundred minutes. This is not a good practice.

Another issue is overanalyzing +/- in a single game and discounting it because the rankings don't align perfectly with player value/reputation rather than looking at cumulative trends over 20+ games. No other box score stat gets that level of criticism. Nobody besmirches the basic stats when LBJ doesn't lead the Cavaliers in every category etc. i.e. :wtf: LBJ didn't lead in points this game? Throw that stat out!

Curry leads in +/- this year:

code:
Player		Tm	Season	+/-
Stephen Curry	GSW	2016-17	491
Klay Thompson	GSW	2016-17	430
Kevin Durant	GSW	2016-17	424
Draymond Green	GSW	2016-17	384
Chris Paul	LAC	2016-17	324
LeBron James	CLE	2016-17	294

Bashez posted:

The West is so far ahead of the east it's not even funny. By SRS the number 1 west team is better than the number 1 east team 2 better than 2 and so on. Every single west team has a higher SRS at each position, except 9th. The Wolves have hosed it up by being extremely "unlucky" in their point distributions.

Is this the most lopsided year ever?

No, just two years ago in 2014-15 it was even worse.

That's why LBJs had a complete cakewalk to the finals some years. There's no way he'd be on this crazy finals streak if he was playing in the West all these years.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lamar Odom: I want CHLOE BACK:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/lamar-odom-gives-shocking-confession-204555845.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPGJrzzq_I

It's January 14th and the Bulls are once again in danger of missing the playoffs.

Another year of the Bulls modern offense peering through the looking-glass to playoff land. Maybe one day they'll be as good as the Pacers or Wizards.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I prefer looking at +/- by lineup rather than player. Although WTF is up with that Drummond stat. Does their starting lineup get its asskicked?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HRRRRRH duuurrrr

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Oh man I didn't realize BJ is his agent. His offseason is going to be hilarious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

So good

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hand Row posted:

Oh man I didn't realize BJ is his agent. His offseason is going to be hilarious.

demands max, ends up becoming the first player to pay a team to play for them

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Holy poo poo BJ has quite the portfolio

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm a huge fan of all the graded non graded calibrated and isolated special plus minus stats, bapm, rpm, and most importantly pt-pm. Especially once you compare the stat to clips and see their brekadowns. Pure aggregate plus minus is useless and basically a game by game na
rrative stripped of detail or context.

With the other advanced pm stats you can really confirm an eye test or sometimes blow it up, then you get to watch clips and see what's going on and why you thought otherwise. It's helpful, it's a very helpful category of metrics

edit sorry for all the typos, I'm half blind, I'm getting eye surgery soon and you can trust that my posts will be of a higher quality

PT-PMs defense rankings are crappy though. Last year didn't it have Steph Curry and Ginobli as, like, top-20 all-NBA defenders?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh man, I just found a great old reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3cvpmg/what_nba_story_made_you_laugh_so_hard_it_hurt/

quote:

“A lot of people do all their howling on the court and they’re faking just for attention, but what he does is genuine.
"So one day we were at his house and we were watching Puff Daddy’s show ‘Making the Band,’ and in one of the scenes, some new guys came in and were trying to sing and were trying to compete against the guys who had been there. And KG just got so hyped, ‘Motherfucker, you’ve got to stand up for yours! You’ve got to fight! Motherfucker, you’ve got to come together!’ He’s going crazy, he’s sweaty. And he just headbutts the wall and put a hole in the wall of his house.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Late on the Jimmer chat but holy :lol: at him averaging 38/9/5 per game in China.

I love weird statistical outliers like that: like the dude for...I want to say UT-Chattanooga in the NCAA...who's literally shooting 83% from the field on more than seven shots a game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

PT-PMs defense rankings are crappy though. Last year didn't it have Steph Curry and Ginobli as, like, top-20 all-NBA defenders?

Rpm agrees with these, but as Rick said, defense is a team result, so just OK small guys can have big numberd I'm good teams. And good Defenders can have bad or average numbers on bad teams. Offense for stawhat'sstsrtervlevel lever players isn't as dependent although that varies depending on their game. It's never really for ranking just for singing players contributions in in the most neutral worlds we can sort of hash out. It's also a good way to find diamonds in the rough on mediocre treams , so I can avoid boring there vs non three teams matchups and watch intriguing young fellers instead

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 15, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

can't wait to see what mcdermott puts up for the Jiangsu Tongxi Monkey King in 2020.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I want to see Detroit run an ultra big lineup with Boban-Baynes-Drummond. So much Spurs character! This is the future of the NBA
Also a team in Mexico City

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Late on the Jimmer chat but holy :lol: at him averaging 38/9/5 per game in China.

I love weird statistical outliers like that: like the dude for...I want to say UT-Chattanooga in the NCAA...who's literally shooting 83% from the field on more than seven shots a game.

UNC-Wilmington. 13 points a game on 83% shooting. He must only shoot at the rim or something.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I want to see Detroit run an ultra big lineup with Boban-Baynes-Drummond. So much Spurs character! This is the future of the NBA
Someone just needs to unleash Boban

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It was sad seeing boban against the Warriors. That's literally the worst possible matchup for him. You look so tired just from having the Sprint back and forth in transition over and over

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 15, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That KG story is amazing

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

attackmole posted:

Lol somewhat similar story. My parents took me and my sister to see some movie while they went to see the mummy. Our movie ended about halfway through theirs so we wandered in right during the train scene. I got so scared I and my sister left and walked out and sat on the bench outside the theater for another hour.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Did the Kazaam kid ever fix his teeth?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Stauskas just broke Oubre's ankles with the best crossover I've seen this year.

edit: wrong thread but eff it.

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/820449478108966912

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TBeats posted:

Did the Kazaam kid ever fix his teeth?
He's totally dead man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Boban is a rookie in nosferatu years I could see him running pg in a couple years

p.s.
Spurs bad y'all

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Zach Lowe and JVG are the fun police and they are here to take Joel Embiid away from the people
are Stans album covers, mustaches, and loving walls enough to make up for his black hole of fun brother? I dunno

Marcus Camby knew exactly what he was doing. Don't gaze into those eyes for too long

You need the gif to get the full effect:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boban is a rookie in nosferatu years I could see him running pg in a couple years

p.s.
Spurs bad y'all
The NBA's next great shooting guard scored 40 points for the second consecutive game. Devin Booker just turned twenty 75 days ago by the way.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

You need the gif to get the full effect:

he looks like a 2d guy from the crowd in a mid-2000s madden game

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i want him to get progressively more walleyed as the camera moves in

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's totally dead man

Francis Capra is plenty alive he spent like 10 years playing The Troubled Hispanic Teenager With Good Intentions on TV.

that's a few years ago he's looking a little under the weather in recent pictures

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Every week, that trade gets worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Stauskas just broke Oubre's ankles with the best crossover I've seen this year.

You should watch more basketball.

Also he didn't even stumble how is that broken ankles.

You lied to me I want my 6 seconds back.

• Locked thread