Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Athanatos posted:

78 games into the season and the Pacers are still trying to find an identity, and when you turn them on nightly you have 0 idea what to expect.

They got this guys.

See I feel like they have a strong identity. It's just that the identity is a lovely defensive team that can't shoot. They've got the perfect players for it and I see it executed every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Next next level tanking is replacing your whole front office with retired local sports legends

This tanking isn't going well enough :(

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Westbrook dunks better

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

chunkles posted:

amount of thunder fans there is amazing

Naw, but the NBA is a personality driven sport and Russ is a wronged man out for revenge, and doing amazing dunks and things along the way.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Pacers getting that ABC slot, Lavoy Allen is a draw.

If PG doesn't make an all-nba team after having the best year of his career and an amazing final 20 games, I will be very irate! Also Handsome Brad should win COY for getting that team to a 1 seed.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Also, most importantly, every playoff game brings us closer to The Dunk King: Season 2

Everyone pick your horse now, but my boy Thaine has got this

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bizort what did you think of Vogel this year? Obviously the record was bad but i figured the defense would be better with him, though maybe the roster is just that bad.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

They are taking out the portions of the quotes to make it look bad, he was specifically asked about guys and gave praise along with the things they need to improve on. The media desperately wants PG to leave so they can fill time and articles to where he should go. I don't know if he will end up being traded or staying, but there's not discord in the locker room, they just can't defend or shoot overall.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bird would probably trade PG for Love. Remember he once gave Austin Croshere a ton of money because he was a tall, white stiff who shot 3's.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bucks are brutal

e: beaten with a better link

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

why? i thought it was to ensure the quality of the league by giving players more seasoning in higher level organizations before the nba. weren't there a bunch of high school drafts that never panned out and then it fucks their college eligibility and future career prospects? just wondering. it seems arbitrary but makes sense to me

GM's cannot help themselves with potential and will draft a bunch of high schoolers, some of which will be like Bender and have issues that would have been seen if they had played some college. Really the one-and-done rule is just there to protect GM's from taking wild chances with picks 5-20 and the backlash when they don't work out. I'd prefer it more like baseball, come out after HS if you want or go overseas/NBDL, but if you go to college then stay stay a couple years.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Mr. F! posted:

I think the kids get lucky to have at least a year of college experience. A year of college is REALLY helpful in the future

Not really, they stop attending classes after the 1st semester since punishment for the 2nd semester would come after the season.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ammanas posted:

Stephenson had a pretty good game 4, although considering he was 100% open 90% of the time it could have been better. Him wide open begging for the ball while George tried to dribble out of double teams was kinda funny/sad tho

The common Pacers offense during the season was PG driving and forcing help, passing to an open 3 that passed it to another open 3 that passed it back in to PG because nobody else could shoot. Point 3 of the ringer article today was correct, the whole thing was correct.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-indiana-pacers-exit-survey-paul-george-66a2bcfa7d79

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ever since ESPN fired crazy person conservative Curt Schilling, that segment of the population thinks they have some liberal agenda. I mean sure, Lebatard is pro-labor, but he's on ESPNU while their flagship is the ultra-straightlaced and dad take friendly Mike&Mike.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I am personally glad the Grizz exist because the Pacers are doing their best to salt the earth of my fandom.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Great, except the replacement is the guy he's been grooming in Pritchard, who was the one who hired our dumb coach. And what a nice mess to hand to him, make him the guy to trade the best player in franchise history.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Stein is kind of understandable, you figure he is probably making good money after being there 15 years. Strauss is the one that didn't make sense to me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ammanas posted:

Who, besides Westbrook, deserves the 'drag your team into the playoffs award'? Like what would the Cavs record be without LeBron, or wizards without Wall?

Well they were the 7 seed, but the only reason the Pacers made the playoffs is because PG went nuts the last two months of the season.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ricky Davis and Ivan Johnson on the same team means I have to root for the Ghost Ballers

:same: Best logo and Ivan Johnson

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

In a shocking development, Woj has been hired by ESPN.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

JVG will point out some things and be good, but then he will rant for 5 minutes about a star not getting a call while ignoring every other time it happens. I liked Webber, Doris and Webber for all games.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

IT looks sweet in those sunglasses :c00l:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Looking forward to the Eli Lilly diabetes glucometer on the Pacer's jersey.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

DUNK KING TIME

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

It's silly that media voting is costing PG a ton of money. Signing him to the supermax or whatever would be a poison pill for the cheapskate Pacers, but it would have been nice to have the option.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

Eh, it's probably better this way. Even with being able to offer the huge contract, it still wouldn't be a given that he'd return. This way it takes away that hope and the Pacers can start working on a deal for him.

It sucks, but Bird should have been getting younger guys to grow with him instead of bringing in vets to just muddle around in the East. Myles Turner came too late. So now hopefully they can just start rebuilding around Myles and/or a high draft pick.

Yes this is entirely Bird's fault, but you know how Pacers fan will react. They've been acting like the guy who knows his girlfriend is too hot for him for a couple years now. Pritchard has no choice but to trade him but he also has zero leverage and not a whole lot of interested buyers, and an owner who doesn't want to rebuild and would prefer fluff that can maybe make .500 instead of a true core rebuild.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ammanas posted:

Why is it stupid? Seems like a novel way to get the cream of the NBA crop some extra money past the set basic max.Yeah it's a little unfair that some players deserve to be on the list but don't make it because of limited spots but it's not like you can point to any of those players and say they aren't special.

Well first of all because it's media voted. The rule is there to help small markets keep their stars and making the hurdle media voting is a disadvantage in that. They should just let every team have one that they can use at any given time, it's not like it forces the player to do anything, it just gives them an option to make more money. It doesn't make sense that the Pacers can't offer PG the supermax because he is the 7th best forward, but if he was the 6th best they totally could! I don't think it would be good for the Pacers since their owners are cheap, but the option would be nice and would be helpful for leverage if they wanted to trade instead.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Metapod posted:

GUY DEPUY IS NOT THE TRUE DUNK KING WHAT A LOAD OF poo poo THIS WILL NOT STAND WE WILL RIOT

All the fault of that coward Kenny Smith. HE WAS ELIMINATED AND THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

CJ Miles can shoot 3's and got some fake rear end titties

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I've been in a few unflattering arguments with fellow Pacers fans about PG being better than Reggie, as much as I enjoyed watching Reggie play.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

ScooterMcTiny posted:

PG is fine, is obviously the best Pacer in a while but ultimately will be remembered by Pacers fans the same way Danny Granger is if he bolts for LA.

Reggie is always #1 in my heart, and #2 in NBA-related choke references right behind Latrell Sprewell.

I love this, as if he is doing anything but not signing an extension that he would be stupid to sign this offseason. He's not bolting anywhere, he's just wanting to see the front office construct a non-poo poo roster. They have to trade him, but that's not his doing.

Hell, Reggie was a California kid as well. If the years were swapped, he'd be the one bolting to LA, especially if he had this team around him instead of the good teams he mostly had.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/871111030918848513

Probably Bullshit. But nothing would make me happier

LaVar's meltdown if he gets passed over by the Lakers would be the best moment of the draft. It would almost be as good if they trade the pick and the small market Pacers select him.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

I demand Olympic Dunk King

:agreed: girlfriends from around the world deserve the honor of being props in dunks before proposed to.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Brolander posted:

they should make the whole nba season the finals. and its every day

Well, funny enough, everything else this season but the finals were meaningless. And the finals may not even be good!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The B_36 posted:

What's the difference between this season and the other seasons when things apparently weren't meaningless?

Well, most NBA seasons are, but how often is the finals the two teams everyone knew that it would be with them going 24-1 in the playoffs?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Maybe they are in love WhyteRyce? Did you ever think about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

AggressivelyStupid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-tbxs7zRo

okay real talk these videos alone are tempting me to transfer my fandom

Can't transfer fandom to a team on top like the Spurs, you gotta get in on the way up. That's why I am packing up my fandom and headed off to the Bucks as soon as they hire Hammon.

• Locked thread