Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If the Sonics actually come back, Seattle fans better sell out the building for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Athanatos posted:

A reminder this sad loving sack is still around:

https://twitter.com/BringBackSonics/status/749997873723432961

and should be reminded every so often his team is gone.

Is this the guy that used to go to nationally televised games in Sonics gear with big signs?

Lockback posted:

It's sorta complicated:

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/5060/clay-bennett-didn-t-exactly-give-up-that-sonic-legacy

They have their intellectual property rights still, Bennett didn't take those. They can be the Supersonics again. if a new team comes in they could have shared history with Oklahoma, AKA, OKC and Seattle will have the same history. Bennett has also said he'd give back rights. Its worth noting OKC does not have gold tabs on their Jersey's despite Seattle's championship win, so I assume they'd have no concerns giving up the history.

I'd assume OKC would just let them have the Sonics history and no longer recognize it for their own team. Nobody there should care about what Payton, Kemp, etc did. The only numbers I think they'd want intact at this point are Nick Collison, I can't imagine he holds many if any SEA/OKC franchise records.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pubic works project posted:

Sorry Dirk. You're a cool dude and all. I was happy when you owned D-Wade and LeBron in the Finals. But you're getting thunderdunked on by Myles Turner tonight.

Sry, tonight the Pacers run into a superior defense. The mummy will prevail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrstxuicZk

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

An unexpected diversion on the Mavs Facebook page.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Devin Harris still has a hurt toe. (The same toe that had experimental surgery.) I wouldn't be shocked if this is the beginning of the end for him. Seth Curry is going to have a bigger than expected role while Harris is out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

Too bad for the Mavs, Seth Curry is pretty awful

This year Seth Curry might have more assists in his first game than Steph.

pubic works project posted:

Hahaha this is awesome. But the Pacers will win.

Nah, the Mavs are better at most positions.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Duncan should unretire mid season and play 10-15 minutes a game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

Any good podcast recommendations?

Spurs in particular?

My favorite NBA podcast is the Starters.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I just learned that Devin Harris sprained his big toe that didn't have experimental surgery. This guy is just unlucky with big toes I guess.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Niwrad posted:

The Nets could have had Damian Lillard but decided half a year of Gerald Wallace on a non-playoff team was better.

When you have the chance to get the greatest Bobcat of all time, you don't say no.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Bulls about to get the shooter they've been looking for.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/791419754229620736

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/791481103777406976
:(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I can't find anything on the health of Bogut or Mejri. Last night, it looked like Bogut messed up his right wrist. He only played a couple minutes after that and didn't use his right hand at all. It must have really been bothering him to not play in most of the second half or any of OT. Mejri had knee surgery in the offseason and briefly appeared in a preseason game. The Mavs might be missing the only two real centers on their roster for an undetermined amount of time.

edit: in other news
https://twitter.com/NBAOfficial/status/791385798994190338

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 27, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ElPedro posted:

How'd Harrison Barnes do? Looking at the box score he seemed to do well enough.

Don't know if I'm the only one, but it's a pretty funny subplot this season seeing how he'll do on that contract..

If the Mavs had paid Parsons instead of Barnes, they would have been blown out instead of losing in OT. Barnes had a good but not great game and his basket to send it to OT was sweet. I like how Parsons plays but it should be troubling that he is on a max deal and went from could be back in round 2 of the playoffs to missing opening night months later.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Bogut sure loves his loving illegal screens. He was a beast on every screen he set and the refs were letting it fly so more power to him.

Isn't this true of almost all of the good defensive big men?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a weak objection, it's like saying, Lebron gets away with changing his pivot foot and offensive fouling, and your response is, don't most superstars? Bogut is the king of the illegal screen

Name a great defensive big man from this century that doesn't/didn't get away with illegal screens frequently.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Spacebump: I wasn't attacking your assetion, it's just accepted that Bogut is an illegal screener extradonaire, Kevin Garnett Level. This is a good question for the thread: Who do you think is the best defensive big of the last 10 years who didn't set blatantly illegal screens

No worries, I'm still in salty mode after realizing the Mavs' only two (real) centers with NBA experience might be injured.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

The upside is that you probably weren't getting the 8th seed and its a great draft. Plus you get to see what Salah Mejri can really do, we know what Powell can do, be a pf who plays like a center. There are two bigs in the later lottery that I can see Carlisle molding into something

May Carlisle will get some Quincy Acy small ball going

His game is likable, because he has ca n make a few dribbles and find a nice short jumper, tgat's not the coolest thing to be able to do. He seems to make wide open threees. His lack off athleticism really seems to hurt at the rim, he needs the ball just close enough to stride and jump off both legs to get above defenders rather than going for a contested lay up. Synder seems good at putting him in places where he's comfortable. Always sucks when a big has not much defensive potential

I'm still convinced this Mavs team has the potential to be a good defensive team that could be anywhere from a 4-8 seed*. The problem (assuming they have healthy centers, which if they don't will be a bigger problem) will be offense. If players regularly have nights like Matthews did last night, they are in for some frustrating games. That is a good point about the quality of the draft. Let's hope Cuban doesn't meddle with the draft. Another situation where Donnie wants to draft a player like Giannis and Cuban trades to a worse spot to save money for a big free agent that doesn't come would be brutal.

*Depending on injuries in the West. If the following teams are healthy most of the season I expect them to be top 4: Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, Grizzlies

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

Kawhi was picked 15th, hell he was traded for with a player that was on his last year.

The Spurs traded a player they valued/liked so much that Pop started crying when they made the deal.

euphronius posted:

Duncan was phenomenal in defensive rating last year wasn't he.

Yes.

Metapod posted:

The best possible is how the Thunder was built

Even better when you don't have to deal with most of the bad years because they were in Seattle.

I missed the Celtics/Alphas game. How did the three Alphas win?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

Butler, Wade, Rondo, and MCW combined for 10/15 3-point shooting

(Also they out-rebounded the Celtics 55-36)

Rondo, Butler, Wade, and MCW are all shooting 3s significantly than Wes Matthews. I would have been ok with Butler or MCW but Wade and Rondo also? Turns out Hoiberg's offense is amazing after all. Good thing he doesn't have to worry about running into Playoff Wittman.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

That's because the Rockets and Mavs have their Superstar

People have also been saying the Mavs should tear it down since 2008.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

chunkles posted:

"Elevator" Ernie Johnson is my favorite black TV sports commentator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMjDU9BrF7U

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Japanese twitter has the same thoughts as me on Dallas.
https://twitter.com/jn0832mavs/status/792199723272720384

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Yes.

This summer we learned Durant reads everything, Westbrook knows exactly what he is doing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Just a reminder that Westbrook blew a 3-1 lead in the WCF by dribbling the ball off his foot at the end of game 7. Why would you want to play with someone so shook?

The Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals with more all NBA players on the roster, the only unanimous MVP in NBA history, and would have been considered the BEST TEAM OF ALL TIME if they didn't choke in games 5, 6, or 7. (Or if they didn't choke 7 different times in the last minute of game 7) They are significantly more shook. I would rather play with Westbrook because he is guaranteed to be less shook(if at all) than the Warriors.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 29, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Today I learned this crazy guy still makes videos.
This is his reaction the Rockets loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22GlEPlbv3I

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dokmo posted:

The best PG isn't even a PG James Harden renders the position obsolete.

LeBron is the best PG but only when he wants to be.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/792926737000566784

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah Brolic should know better than to say things like "Modern"

Either say 3pt era or come up with something specific if you are talking about more recent seasons.

Post Bulls Jordan/1st lockout probably makes the most sense. I wonder if we can get that to catch on.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think in years down the line Lebron going to Miami will be seen as the start of new era basketball. The Celtics and Lakers champions 2008-10 feel closer in spirit to the 90s blueprint than they do to basketball in 2016*. LeBron's Miami team and the Spurs around the same time kickstarted the trend to a motion based, 4 out offense paired with high intensity defence and switching that dominates league thinking now. Of course the Suns were playing that way on offense in like 2005, but I feel it was that 11/12 Miami team that truly mainstreamed it and started people copying it rather than just writing off the Nash Suns as an anomaly you couldn't replicate.

* that's probably not analytically true as I'm sure someone will prove shortly, but it feels that way to me, whatever that's worth.

I'd say the current era was at least indirectly started by the D'Antoni Suns teams. The era immediately before this one was shorter and maybe started when the hand checking rules changed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

I always forget how good he is at passing, why doesn't anyone talk about it like they did Kevin Love's ~*~*~*outlet passes~*~*~*~*~

Half the reason Kevin Love's outlet passing became a running joke here is that was listed as a reason why he was drafted. (and that reason made Gendo very angry.) The other half is they are sweet outlet passes.

We probably don't talk about Griffin's passing as much because he basically didn't play last season. due to beating up a trainer and then causing that guy to lose his dream job

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Another picture from LeBron's halloween party.
https://twitter.com/kisskhalia_/status/793125912422195200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

stacey king just came out against the "three alphas" nickname because it detracts from players like Taj Gibson and Michael Carter-Williams

e: "The Bulls are all alphas"

-Stacey King

King used to be an Alpha commentator, this officially takes his alpha designation away.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Money's tight but he probably has enough to get the same baker to make an updated one

Doesn't his wife have a bakery?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Bulls should sign Tayshaun Prince, he is a champion. That's basically another Alpha.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dirk was too sick to go to DWill's Halloween party. I'd post the team pic but am lazy and phone posting.

Bashez, it's too early to declare the Mavs as bad. They've played 3 games, 2 without Dirk. One game (with Dirk) went to OT and another they lost by a basket (which shouldn't have happened because Harden offensively fouled Matthews on the start of the possession to move him out of possession.) They will look better when Harris and Dirk are both back. They also have one of the hardest schedules to start the season. Wait and see where they are when they hit 20 wins.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dwight wins Mavs Halloween. I'm assuming that's Barea as Antman, hilarious.

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/793519935473332224

I think this is pretty cool, the NBA does everything the best so it'll be a good show

Hopefully it turns out better than the Player's Choice Awards. Such a disaster they canceled it after year 1 and didn't even announce all the awards.

Whenever this gets posted, someone should always mention this was deep into the smart phone era.

Lol, great tweets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ben Simmons owns.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17945257/ben-simmons-blasts-messed-ncaa-film-says-players-get-nothing

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

For the true diehard Australian NBA Fan.
http://www.omgc.com.au/services/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NeuroticErotica posted:

Some day the Mavs will get there.

Some day.

Maybe.

:shepicide:

• Locked thread