Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Open Court is on TNT now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Zogo can I change my vote for rookie PER leader to Jamal Murray?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

oooooo compelling.

I am not sure if he's good yet but I'm confident in the fact that if he's on the floor he's going to get some stats.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I felt like this too after watching him in one preseason game (lol). Dude's either gonna take Harris' spot or score off the bench. Could also play huge minutes if the Nugs trade any or all of: Barton, Gallinari, Chandler.

Hahah, I'm basing it off of TWO preseason games.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Kawhi MVP y'all.

He's seriously some unearthly platonic ideal of a team player. Lenny Beans has played 324 regular season games, and scored 25 or more points in 26 (about to be 27) of them. The Spurs are 24-2 (about to be 25-2) in the regular season when Kawhi scores 25 or more.

(Include playoff games and it's 33-4, statistic carries over as 5-2 into Super Important Games which is still incredible but is less immediately one sided. To put this in a useless context, when Jordan scored 25 or more points in a playoff game his teams went 108-44)

(bbr says I should source them when I look stuff up so I considered this while watching the game and then looked it up on basketball-reference. use basketball reference dot com to look up stupid stuff thanks)

He's my favorite player right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

Harden had 17 assists you guise. We just need every team to play the same defense as the Lakers did in the first half.

D'Anotni usually has wonderful game plans, that don't take into account the fact that some teams adjust during the half (and heck, some good teams adjust even more often than that!). The good news though is probably like half the coaches in the league don't bother with adjustments until the playoffs (if ever).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome back to basketball SemiBadAss.

My big overreaction for the day is that the Pacers will play watchable basketball this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Whiteside had an assist today. It was great!

Nick Young airballed a three pointer that Jordan Clarkson caught and put in, I would've given him an assist if I was the scorekeeper.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Julius Randle put up 18/7/6, that's pretty outstanding especially considering how ordinary of a passer he was at UK and last year

Sauce Castillo is just turning the corner free from the specter of Sacramento

Yeah him becoming invested in passing is something I hope sticks through the year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I present to you, the best written sports story ever: http://www.hngn.com/articles/214158/20161028/nba-trade-rumors-la-lakers-brandon-ingram-philadelphia-76ers-nerlens.htm

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's bad for basketball when a big market team is below the salary floor. That's my only problem with the Process. Other than that everything else they've done has been done many times and was only a big deal because we're in the pearl clutching age.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

From what I understand the current CBA just opens up the possibility of expansion, not the actual process of expansion. It apparently isn't possible to expand even if they wanted to.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

owners hate expansion

Until it becomes profitable to expand.

And it will if ratings continue to decrease and Fox Sports continues to lowball TV deals.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm more confused by all the empty seats. I thought the Warriors especially now with KD would be one of those sellout teams that every fan of a random team would want tickets to for a chance to catch them. Shouldn't this be one of the most packed pelicans games?

It's going against a pretty big world series game and they don't sell a ton of tickets anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/792179392709468160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/792214797026676737

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/792215342621663233

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

dokmo posted:

Who would have thought a non rim protecting midrange shooting PF would turn out to be useless.

Yeah, he's turned out about as good as I thought he'd be. A lot of scouts really believed he'd develop three point range in the pros, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

But enough about the Spurs signing Pau...

I'd have thought NBA posters would be anti capital punishment.

Yeah Mike D'Antonni, Pau Gasol is only a midrange shooting PF and there's no other aspects to his game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
2k games are good for learning some basic basketball stuff, also for knowing who the players are on every team.

The franchise/front office modes though are not accurate simulations (or at least have not been, I don't play the games now even when they're free because of this but maybe they've finally improved), don't be the guy who played 2k17 and then comes in here talking about the Hard Cap.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dale Ouise posted:

I imagine it's like the NHL series where the AI GMs judge trades by pure ratings, and is dumb, so I'll hold off on that.

Since caps got brought up, I found the hoopshype page, and it seems serviceable, but is there another site with that info I should know about?

Most of these sites all pull from the same place, so it's personal preference as to which rumor/salary site you like. Shamsports.com was getting his salary info independently and it was more accurate but he doesn't work on his site anymore.

Basketball-reference.com is still my favorite stats site but the NBA.com stats page is excellent and has access to stuff that basketball-reference doesn't have (but also might not actually be useful beyond 'that's cool' so I find myself sticking with bbal ref).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Oh yeah, duh, learning cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm is an awesome way to sound really smart to your friends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You aren't great if you aren't great on the road in the playoffs. That's all I'll say about that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

If Curry were a Great One he would've told his body "not today" instead of tweaking his knee.

Earlier in that series, I had Love marked for Not Great when he got concussed and missed a game then played like poo poo after Draymond stomped on his head, but when it counted he told his brain and Curry "not today."

This is not equivalent to what I said.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm not talking about Curry, he's had more than one good road playoff game in his career, unlike multiple people mentioned as great on the last page.

Libertine posted:

That's true. To be great you have to be able to win either home or away, and you have to be able to win without either your left or right knee.

Oh, how does this relate to what I said?

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 31, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is amazing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I was just looking at the Lakers schedule, and they don't visit an Eastern Conference team after February 10th, which is a full week before the all-star break. They also have a super home heavy end of the season, so they will probably be able to rack up a decent amount of those post-allstar garbage wins during that stretch

That'll be nice from a feel good point of view. I just hope Walton can survive the multiple ten loss in a row losing streaks that are going to happen the first half of the year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Even if he didn't inherit a 17-win team, he was such a high-profile hire and "get" that the honeymoon period would hopefully last at least a year, but then again I don't know the pulse of Lakers fans.

chunkles posted:

I take it Luke Walton won't get near the amount of slack that Byron Scott got in the hopes that some of those championships had rubbed off on him somehow

Expectations are more realistic this year among fans but all of Byron's media guys are just waiting to pounce on Walton, so we'll see if Lakers fans can stay realistic when talk radio says to fire Walton every day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My Week 2 Power Rankings:

1. Spurs
2. Cavs
3. Clippers
4. Thunder
5. Three Alphas feturing Taj Gibson and Michael Carter-Williams
6. Hawks
7. Blazers
----(Irrelevant Line is here this week)------
28. Magic
29. Nets
30. Sixers

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I kind of wonder what the next big evolution in basketball will be; we're in the middle of leaguewide pace and space, so I feel that the next trend is a move back to post-up offense but with skilled bigs who can pass and knock down three pointers, some type of position less thing with lots of switching on defense

I don't know if we'll go back to post play right away, but I actually see a decrease in switching. We already saw some teams playing man to man in the playoffs to some success in spurts. I could see teams trying it even more. If there's less switching, then the natural response is post play to take advantage of one on one matchups.

With that said, we could just go even farther down the motion defense and offense and the end of position basketball has been foretold for like twenty years now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was deep in the woods during most of the Lakers game. I heard a tiny bit actually picking it up on the radio while looking for the World Series (AM Radio is crazy, I was at Mt. Graham in Arizona). It sounded like the Lakers were in trouble. How the heck did they win?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I would not have had the Blazers survive the irrelevant line had I waited until today to do my rankings.

Brolic I am fine with your power rankings even if I don't exactly agree with all of them, it's a subjective thing, and also, week two.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

troofs posted:

lmao. See, this is a perfect example.

Melo didn't demand a trade at all, it was the Nuggets who really wanted to trade him. He just said he wanted to be a knick once it became obvious that the Nuggets were planning on shipping him off since they didn't want him to walk for nothing. The only other team that the nuggets talked to were the nets and they offered way less than New York, because James Dolan is a loving idiot.

Secondly, that trade lead to the best run of knicks seasons in a decade and have way less to do with the knicks being poo poo than all the draft picks they traded away after that (they traded 2 picks for loving Bargnani in case you forgot) unless you'd really like to sit here and argue how the knicks would be way better off having kept D'antoni and a team of Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Kosta Koufos, Mozgov and Raymond Felton.

Not entirely true. The Lakers' Mitch Kupchak put together a Bynum+picks for Melo deal that Jim Buss blocked (and Buss was probably right).

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like if the Mavs can't get one at home against the Blazers or Bucks, or against the Lakers, then they are probably not actually a good team even though they don't look bad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

One more loss and it's the worse franchise start ever :negative: To newer NBA fans that might not seem so bad but if you're familiar with the 90s Mavs you understand how awful it really is.

I do remember them, there's no way this team is as bad as those.

Cool Buff Man posted:

My stepfather was friends with Dick Motta and he got a Mavs pennant signed by the whole team for me during the first year of the three Js but I can't find it anywhere. I'll send it to you if it ever find it, although that may take years

Cherokee Parks was sort of a family friend (his dad worked for the same company as my dad . . . although he didn't like his dad). My stepbrother had game worn Mavericks warmups.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pepperchomp posted:

The Lakers announcers are the biggest homers, I live in Hawaii and I catch a lot of Lakers games and I fuckin hate how much their announcers love their lovely team. Also is it just me, or is does Reggie Miller have the biggest hard on for Golden State?

You are on record of saying they were big homers because they weren't actively rooting against the team like you think they should . . .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pepperchomp posted:

It's not just that. EVery call against them is wrong and all they do is praise the Lakers. It's like no other team matters. Westbrook can do an awesome dunk and they're not impressed but man when nick young makes a shot, hot drat !

Also, my friends actively ball, me not so much.

They spent most of the Lakers/Thunder game talking about how awesome Westbrook was though??

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

I read this article last night and enjoyed it a lot, it's Jason Concepcion making the most convincing devil's advocate argument I've read for hiring D'Antoni: https://theringer.com/the-inspirational-courage-of-houstons-awful-defense-80e8f86c2221#.j1jauwlp4

If Houston's plan for hiring D'Antoni is really to just up the value of their roster for potential trades then that's pretty interesting. I'm sort of tired of giving Morey the benefit of the doubt, though.

pepperchomp posted:

Didn't catch that game earlier this year but trust me dude, I've lived here all my life they are poo poo birds at announcing.

Maybe you should actually check out some other teams' broadcasts.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

Pretty sure the D'Antoni thing is mostly Leslie, although he and Morey are definitely in alignment on shot selection. I get the sense that Morey would've committed all the war crimes Hinkie did years earlier if Leslie wasn't in charge. Probably a good thing in the end that he is, even if I dislike his coach hires.

I feel like that balance has at least kept Houston in the market for free agents almost every year, and being in the market is what allowed them to get Harden and Howard. Howard didn't work out but it's not like they chose him over someone better.

But personally I think skating around mediocrity is fine because you never know how things are going to break. I think if Golden State had the injury troubles last year the year before we're talking about a Rockets final appearance.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I can't tell Jon Barry and Brent Barry apart by just their voice anymore so sometimes I am fooled into thinking Jon said something smart but then I go back and look and it's Brent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

Cleveland is insanely good

Yeah they're 100% locked in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I couldn't decide between a DeAngelo, Clarkson, or Randle jersey so now I have a Kobe jersey. Gonna rock it in Sacramento on December 12 with 9 other homies who are all Kings fans. Should be a good night!

e: also I like the new Lakers. Luke Walton is cool.

If you're going to foreign invade the Kobe jersey is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Even if the Knicks renounce everyone in the summer they still won't have enough room to sign a max player unless they trade one of Melo or Noah. Their best shot could be something like a sign and trade with the Clippers for Blake with Melo going the other way. But how they hell they'd be able to convince Blake to come I have no idea.

VVV The new contract for Dieng means the TWolves won't have room for a max player either unless they can trade both Rubio and Pekovic.

The cap room is the thing to not worry about. Teams would line up to bet on a future Knicks draft pick being good enough to be worth taking Noah on for a year before stretching him if necessary.

• Locked thread