Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EvanTH posted:

They seem like a lock for the playoffs but a first year head coach is always a big question mark

Anyone know how Indy looked in the pre-season? I'm skeptical that Nate McMillan can coach an NBA offense in 2016.

EvanTH posted:

https://theringer.com/lebron-is-still-painting-his-masterpiece-bdad85037eb0

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins

What about Lebron's block on Splitter? Or his game against Detroit (which I assume is what someone linked already)? Or the pic of his alleyoop from Wade?

I also think that criticism is bullshit because LeBron isn't going to hoist an off balance 20 ft shot over 2 defenders so you can remember some iconic moment, he's going to make the right play and find the open man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

There's a parallel universe where Seattle's larger media market allows the Supersonics to keep Harden, and Durant finds a cool Pacific NW tattoo artist to put a bunch of rappers faces on him and decides to stay

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

tarbrush posted:

point Harden and wierd Rockets

I love it that Houston spent years being mediocre in order to get enough assets to get Harden and are now back to being mediocre.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I don't get people's fascination with moving players to the bench. IMO it only makes sense if you are talking about a 1 way offensive player like Kanter or Monta that you most likely wouldn't want out there to close games.

With any other above average starter the coach should be able to figure it out, and with players like KD or Steph it's really easy to figure out a rotation that works.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Tonight starts the All Star Steven Adams tour. I'm excited. #ThunderUp

I'm also excited to see Adams against a player of Embiid's quality

but idk if Joel is gonna be an all-star this year.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I just realized that no one blew up their team last year. The biggest midseason "we are now tanking" trade last year was probably Kieff to Washington.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

Parsons played 0 minutes yesterday

Grind the Process

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Trust the Grindcess

or something like that

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

If saric is good which I think he may be and the Lakers pick is good they flopped in no drafts.

Noel is a disappointing result.

Noel is a bit disappointing but it was a really bad draft and getting 2 high first round picks for Jrue was still an amazing deal.

Any good GM would've made almost the exact same trades Hinkie did and drafted the exact same players. The only difference is that they would've focused more on PR.

Also the moral of the story isn't "you have to tank to win" its "if the previous GM traded away all of your assets and your lineup is Jrue/Evan Turner/Swaggy P/Thad Young/Spencer Hawes, you have to tank to win"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

You can make all the right decisions and still have things go wrong. Philly is proof of that.

You can make all the wrong decisions and have things go right. Cleveland is proof of that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

What every argument about the Process being a mistake seems to miss is that the Sixers were the epitome of mediocrity and the business as usual practices that detractors are favoring. They were also on the cusp putting on a really terrible product featuring a broken Jrue Holiday (which I guess they were aware of) and Evan Turner and virtually zero chance at being even an Eastern Conference contender for a long time.

At the very least, this process has given them at least an outside shot at superstars and a chance at being contenders. As things stand, it seems pretty likely that at worst, they'll either return to some form of mediocrity with the likes of Embiid, Saric, Simmons, etc. Maybe they won't win the title, but if they could at least reach that permanent "threat" status that teams like the Clippers or the Dirk Mavs for most of the past two decades reached (counting all the years they didn't reach the Finals), it'd at least be a satisfying ride for a starving fanbase.

I agree 100%. Not even the most win now of GMs would've done anything other than go into full out tank mode.

And most of Hinkie's decisions were good ones. Noel is about the 6th best player of the 2013 draft class. MCW didn't work out but he was considered a good pick at the time and was flipped for the Lakers 1st. Embiid was the right pick. Payton looks good for Orlando but they got a pretty promising player in Saric and a 2017 1st for him. Okafor was the consensus pick and has the potential to be a better Enes Kanter. And Ben Simmons was the consensus pick as well.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Couple nice highlights from the Blazers Denver game

https://twitter.com/BedgeTimmay/status/792553843179393024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/CSNNW/status/792581221368770560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/trailblazers/status/792586610386665472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Prime Chris Paul is the only modern PG that ever came close to Curry last season.

So it mostly comes down to how shook you think Paul was during this famous game compared to Curry in last years finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200904270NOH.html

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Yeah Brolic should know better than to say things like "Modern"

Either say 3pt era or come up with something specific if you are talking about more recent seasons.

Post Bulls Jordan/1st lockout probably makes the most sense. I wonder if we can get that to catch on.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

It's literally just to disqualify Wilt who has 10 better seasons himself

Probably not 10, but at least 3.

Though Curry's PER was right up there with Wilt's prime, which is loving mind blowing in itself.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

but that's just because they weren't logging blocks or steals which would have sent his box score based stats through the roof

Forgot about that. Though interestingly Kareem's PER doesn't jump when blocks and steals appear. And neither does Elvin Hayes.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

PER average-weighted-by-playtime is always 15, so adding blocks wouldn't make everyone go up, it's zero-sum. Since, by all accounts, Wilt was getting 3 or 4 times more blocks than anyone else not named Russell, his PER would have jumped more than Kareem, who was much closer to the average in those stats.

That's true. Though it's still a little surprising that it didn't impact Kareem's stats. Kareem had a similar block % to Shaq, which isn't bad but also isn't close to prime Robinson, Hakeem or Mutombo.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

112 games for which Wilt's blocks are recorded.

In these 112 games, he averaged 8.8 blocks per game, and had 23 in one game. :pwn:

Someone (Zogo) estimate what Wilt's PER would've been in his 3 best seasons if they counted blocks and he averaged 8.8 a game for that time period.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Morrow, Ilyasova and Collison are each gonna get $10m a year to show Westbrook that OKC is serious about winning.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Can someone that has a twitter account do me a favor and DM the hoopdynastees guy @hdshirts and ask if he does prints and can share his email so I can buy one? I really want a print of sheed grinning

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/739875-sheed-grin?store_id=98881

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

"Lockback' posted:

Got you fam.

edit: Actually you can't DM if they don't have you added. I'll tweet him.

thanks

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Why not just make a twitter account, it takes like two seconds

good point, lockback already tweeted him tho

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Dexo posted:

Nevermind disregard that I got tricked by Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mr1738/status/793879017774456832

Also a pretty lovely tattoo

doesn't look a thing like LeBron

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Portland got rid of their homer announcers and replaced them with Kevin Calabro (the former SuperSonics announcers) and Lamar Hurd (PAC12 announcer and former Oregon State player). Of course the fans are upset about it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

iirc, the Knicks could've just waited until the summer and signed Melo as a free agent.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

The Process is spreading

When Bosh makes his come back he can be The Processor

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Derrick Rose was not a basketball addition. He is only on the team because It allowed them to dump Robin Lopez. Sure Lopez is better but the knicks weren't winning either way.

Also the long term plan for the knicks is hosed. They are back where they were in the mid 2000s. No draft picks, a bad team with no route to get a star. As long as Melo is on that team they are not contending. If Zinger makes a leap (and I hope he does because he owns) they could top out at like a 5-4 seed. But that's probably it. Once Melo is off the books you can really start about thinking of a rebuild. But even then you're probably a few years off until Noah comes off as well.

This is 100% true. I do not trust GM Phil Jackson in the slightest after the Noah deal.

Lopez can be the starting center on a good playoff team and is due to make bench player money for the next 3 years. Dumping him for Rose might've been the worst trade of the summer.

If I was Phil I would've kept Lopez and gone after like Deron, Delly, DJ Augustin, or maybe Atlanta would've taken a 2017 first for George Hill. Or maybe gone after Wade, Eric Gordon, Joe Johnson, or Fournier.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

They dumped him so they could get Noah because Good Noah is like a perfect Triangle Center. Except Good Noah is dead and Phil is running that team into the ground as vengeance for the 90s.

If Phil wants to to try again for the perfect triangle center I'm sure Portland would send Plumlee and Evan Turner to NY for Melo.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Keep in mind that GSW will have $19m next summer to use on Iggy, Livingston, lopsided trades or other free agents.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Metapod posted:

They are going to have to sign curry and Durant so how are they getting this 19 mil?

Early Bird Rights for KD = $31.8m
Thompson, Green and Curry's cap hold = $55.8m
If the cap is $107m that leaves $19.6m

Tho empty roster spots and their rookies eat into that

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Metapod posted:

I'm not cap smart how does 1 year allow for early bird rights?

Sorry I got my terms mixed up. KD can be signed for 120% of his previous salary via the Non-Bird Exception.

euphronius posted:

Your doing the math Wrong I think
Durant has to be signed into space and they have some hefty cap holds.

I'm pretty sure that my numbers are right. KD would be signed first in this scenario. But Looney, Jones, McAdoo, and McCaw add another $4.5m. So if Iggy and Livingston sign for the vet min ($1.5m each), that would leave 2 empty roster spaces ($500k each iirc). So that would leave $8m in cap space. Not much but probably enough to re-sign Bogut.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Also Durant could always end up taking a pay cut because he's shook and not a leader

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

Livingston could easy get like 3/40 from some team and you want him to sign for 1/1.5 or whatever

He's not going to, I just threw it out there as a best case scenario. Though Livingston isn't as important now that GSW has KD. I wouldn't be surprised to see them let him walk.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

I lowkey believe that Draymond Green will not be on this team in 2 years. It's either him or Klay and Klay is way loving better.

History has taught us that if you have KD and an all-NBA point guard then you have to trade your all-star SG.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

With all of that under consideration, my recommendation would be to fire Bob Myers and hire Doc Rivers as the GM, then profit from his ability to consistently fill out the rotation with wily vets.

Or they could fire Bob Myers and just sign any cheap player that once had a good game against LAC and achieve the same result without paying Doc Rivers.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Tae posted:

You guys realize Ezeli still hasn't played this season, right

Yeah but when he's healthy Roy, LMA and him are going to tear up the league.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

I watched a lot of Kansas embiid and never saw this

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/795816073035542529

That legit might be the most amazing move I've seen a center do since Sabonis retired.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Poor Paul George has another year before his player option too.

I like to imagine that him, Cousins and AD have a group text where they fantasize about having taken the QO.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

^^ Dante's stroke extending past the 3pt line is awesome. I really liked him when he was on the Wolves.

I hope he keeps it up. It's surprising it took him so long though. He shot ~46% from 16ft to the 3pt line for Portland and Charlotte in his first 2 years in the league. But he shot 10% from 3 up until last season.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Chappaquiddick tribe in Massachusetts commonly refers to him as Danny "4 Firsts for Winslow" Ainge.

Too bad for him Chief Jeans Are Ripped wasn't having any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I've only seen highlights of Raptors games but everything looks really weird stats-wise. Lowry, Joseph, Pat Pat and Carroll are all having the worst seasons they've had in years.

DeRozan is getting to the rim half as much as he did last season, is shooting worse at the rim, shooting more long 2s at a much higher FG%, and shooting much worse from 3 (albeit on fewer attempts)

• Locked thread