Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's the first election since I became a Dutch citizen, so I've only voted once before and it was in the water board elections (I voted for the party of water animals, I speak for the ducks). Who should I vote for, goons??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jeoh posted:

What Would Colve Do

Is there a party that wants to give the King more power?

twoday
May 4, 2005

I kind of like SP. If they supported basic income they might get my vote.

Every single party leader seems like, if I ever met one of them in person, they would be the most irritating and unpleasant person I would have interacted with that week.

twoday
May 4, 2005

What do you guys think of DENK? They want to turn the old Ministry of Colonization into a Museum of Colonization, which I support, but they also deny the Armenian genocide, so I'm kind of torn. :shrug:

twoday
May 4, 2005

No, we have weekly polls but the election results are never even close to the polls.

twoday
May 4, 2005

SP is too conservative. I want a hipper fresher SP (that isn't groenlinks)

twoday
May 4, 2005

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they shot down a plane full of these cowardly wooden-shoe fucks and all they do is complain about how the EU won't let them suck Putin's dick hard enough

I hope the netherlands sinks into the sea and drowns every one of its gutter german inhabitants

The term is swamp-germans, and good luck trying to sink us, we all live on boats surrounded by ring upon ring of dykes

twoday
May 4, 2005

The average Dutch person is pretty anti-Russia, as is the media and nearly every one in government.

When Putin visited he was constantly surrounded by gay protesters doing stuff like this:

Also everyone hates Russia because of the airplane crash

Also a Dutch court just ruled against Putin in the treasure trial

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ok, I will explain this for the Americans. We have a website called stemwijzer, it's a little quiz that you do to help you pick the party you agree with most. Here are my results:

Voting for pirate party is risky, because they've never even held one seat before, and don't really have their poo poo together, but I don't really like d66 and the next two are fictional parties made up for this poll, and PvdA is too bland.

Also, I disagree with the pirate party on 15 out of 30 questions and the rest are all worse than that. What the hell, how is there not a party that I have a majority of shared opinions with?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Sai posted:

stemwijzer is garbage in a coalition-based system

who should you vote for? the party whose core thesis you most agree with
sp: there is more than enough money in the netherlands to give unemployed and low-income people a much better life
gl: we need to become energy-neutral and focusing on endless economic growth is retarded
denk: erdogan is real, and strong, and he is my friend
pvda: our welfare state is fundamentally good and we need to preserve it for a new age
cda: a more moral society is a better society
d66: the netherlands needs to become an education superpower in a united europe
vvd: people know what is best for them, and they deserve the money they earn
pvv: to preserve the netherlands we need to get out of the EU, and get islam out of the netherlands
cu/sgp/pirates/50+/new racists: fart

After the elections there will be bargaining and while the vvd might say that everyone will get a free 1000 euro, that's the first thing they drop. I think this is more or less fairly what the parties would bring to the table

Well as an academic, I guess d66 then

But also as an academic, I want to vote SP

twoday has issued a correction as of 11:00 on Dec 21, 2016

twoday
May 4, 2005

I agree with d66 on a lot of issues, but I find libertarians fundamentally obnoxious, then again I guess they're not exactly that, since they want to throw tons of government money at education. They still feel right-wing some how, and I don't like that.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I had a to pay 10k a year for my Dutch research MA because I was a foreigner.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I came to this country for education, I did my BA and MA here and am about to finish my PhD, and I have good career prospects as a historian. I'm happy with the education system here. I think it's competitive and the best outside the US and U.K., and it's amazing that it's so cheap.

Ok, so my mood changes frequently, but today I have been entertaining the idea of voting d66. They want to decriminalize all drugs, build more public transport, allow 3 or more parents for a child, and various other liberal things I like, and they want to pump a bunch of money into higher education, which I like a lot.

But it's my first time voting, since I have only recently become a Dutch citizen, and I'm wondering, how do they behave in coalitions. Will they be a viable coalition partner this time? Who do they usually work with? Etc.

Unfortunately I guess they would work with VVD. Would they work with PVV?

twoday
May 4, 2005

:(

Well, none of that stuff you guys said sounds very good.

Will SGP work to abolish parliament and create a system of absolute monarchy?

I guess I would vote for the Provos if they were still around.

Humans are all terrible. Maybe I should just vote for PvdD and be represented in parliament by a donkey or whatever.

twoday has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Dec 22, 2016

twoday
May 4, 2005

Which parties are opposed to merging the provinces until there are just three super provinces? I absolutely hate that poo poo, and I'll be damned if I have to share a province with Lelystad

twoday
May 4, 2005

I want a party that supports basic income and the enforcement of the Bakker-Schut plan

twoday
May 4, 2005

Sai posted:

i really hope there will be multiple small-party debates because they will be hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOUZm8pJb8

:getin:

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/PrinsesChrissie/status/816354393037635585

Controversy has erupted as the VVD wants to introduce a ban on using names of actual meat products for vegetarian products such as "vegan bacon" or "vegetarian schnitzel," and the scandal is being referred to as schnitzelgate.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I would vote for the Animal Party but I am worried that they would take steps to limit my intake of horse meat if they came to power, and I eat a lot of horse meat.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I don't really understand the argument in favor of this. Is it just a giant "gently caress you" to vegetarians for no reason? They say it's false advertising, but I don't think I've ever seen a vegetarian meat imitation that didn't say "vegetarian" on it in giant letters. In the super market they even place vegetarian products in bright green packaging and quarantine them from the meat by putting seafood in between. Even if you were illiterate you should be able to figure out that the perfectly round schnitzel that's in a green box next to the tofu isn't made of meat

twoday
May 4, 2005

Wake up, schaaple

I think people in most other countries would be baffled that the previous far right populist here was gay, and that was ok and still would be today, but that he was assassinated by a radical animal rights activist (and presumably a vegetarian) because he wore fur coats. I think everywhere else, gay and vegetarian are on the same side of the political spectrum, but here even the far right demagogues are staunchly pro-gay (although partially just because it's haram).

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yeah

Wtf kind of result is that? What is the coalition going to be? Fascists and geriatrics and measles-infected fishermen from Urk?

PVV (35) + VVD (23) = 58, still need 17 more so...CDA (15) + SGP (3)?

:getin:

Asehujiko posted:

I've been meaning to go with SP but then I read their website and their news ticker is talking about leaving the loving union and whining about Rutte doing one good thing in his life and overturning Putin/Wilder's Ukraine referendum. gently caress this poo poo, I'm voting for the lizard people at D66.

The lizard people are projected to do well this year, I am also still d66-curious

twoday
May 4, 2005

Fullhouse posted:

so how is Europe's slow death going, I forgot about this thread

Update from the Netherlands:

Our prime minister swung slightly right in an open letter to the nation, saying "if you don't like it here, go away."

This video has been mildly popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCucYfFihKs

And in a further encroachment on our liberties, we are no longer allowed to keep brown bears as pets.

Nothing further to report.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Polls show a marked decrease in support for the PVV (Dutch nationalist party) since Trump took power. (Keep in mind that Dutch polls are useless garbage.)

twoday
May 4, 2005

d66 introduced a bill that passed today that finally legalizes and regulates the growing of marijuana, and I think that is cool and good

twoday
May 4, 2005

Does Finland count as Europe?

http://talkradio.co.uk/news/black-hitler-stand-election-far-right-party-finland-17030610898

I was going to quote it but you really should just click on that link, it's amazing

twoday
May 4, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

is that hardcore calvinist party making inroads?

No, but they were recently forced to include women as candidates, and now they have some women who campaign for the repeal of that.

twoday
May 4, 2005

So I slept through most of Sunday, and now I woke up and apparently we are at war with Turkey??

Erdogan calls Netherlands a Banana Republic

Turks trying to burn Dutch flag burn French flag by accident

Dutch flag at consulate in Istanbul replaced with Turkish flag

"Dutch police used dogs and water cannon early on Sunday to disperse the crowd in Rotterdam, which threw bottles and stones. Several demonstrators were beaten by police with batons, a Reuters witness said. They carried out charges on horseback, while officers advanced on foot with shields and armoured vans."

Turkish minister deported after confrontation with Dutch police, Wilders releases inflammatory statement

Edit:
Hahaha, these tweets

https://twitter.com/gryffix/status/840916805552082946

https://twitter.com/muazamat/status/840908373801484288

https://twitter.com/by_ismailhakki/status/840890538467422209

twoday has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Mar 13, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

In other news, 2 days until the election and I still haven't made up my mind. I'm thinking of buying a blank 12 sided die at the games shop and writing in some party names?

Should I vote for DENK? I am intimidated by the might of the Turks, and as a coward, want to appease them

twoday
May 4, 2005

Haha, don't worry guys, I'm not actually going to vote for a party that denies the Armenian genocide.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Namarrgon posted:

The Dutch government currently does not recognize the Armenian genocide.

What I'm saying is don't vote for VVD or PvdA.

Parliament does, though.
http://www.aina.org/news/20150410044601.htm

twoday
May 4, 2005

Oh yeah, you're right. I blindly copy-pasted that without actually reading the resolution. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe by next week

twoday
May 4, 2005

Baloogan posted:

also wtf demmark

Those fascists blocked the Turkish minister from visiting their country!

Look at what I just found in natura:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Can the king vote?

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.allepeilingen.com/index.php/mogelijke-coalities-peilingen-politieke-partijen-alle-peilingen.html

Coalition chances

twoday
May 4, 2005

And vote for a chick

twoday
May 4, 2005

As of 13:00, 25% of Amsterdammers have voted, up from 14 and 15% in previous years. I attribute this to the nice weather.

twoday
May 4, 2005

"Pollster Maurice de Hond says that if all municipalities record a turnout that is 5 percent higher compared to 2012, the outcome of the biggest Dutch cities will play a more important role in the overall result."

That's good for the left

But de Hond sucks

twoday
May 4, 2005

No, we go to the polls, go about our days, and then after dinner they calmly announce the results. Even after the results are announced there is going to be a tedious weeks-long process of careful negotiation in order to determine the make-up of the next cabinet. So you can let go of the edge of your seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

http://nos.nl/artikel/2163343-exitpoll-vvd-veruit-de-grootste-partij.html

First exit polls

• Locked thread